• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

U.N. Panel Issues Stark Climate-Change Warning

Part of the issue is that it's tough to have a conversation about 'what do we do'? Many of the people who cry the loudest, 'we must do something!' fall silent when it comes to specifics. At best you get a vague, 'spend a trillion dollars, as a start' from people like AOC.

Where we're at though, as a country, is moving in the right direction. The US has been steadily cutting emissions while improving productivity and efficiency. Everyone, even conservatives, want a cleaner environment.

The challenge though, that no one seems to want to address, is China. They are pumping out the pollution, with no regards for efficiency or it's impact on the environment.. That's where the UN's focus needs to be.

There are positive examples from around the world that shows that a transiton away from fossil fuels are possible.

There combining a internal carbon tax with a carbon tax on imports can be one way to make countries like China do their part. Especially since a lot of their pollution is from exports while at the same it can be good to remember that US emissions per capita is still double that of China.

There are positive examples from around the world that shows that a transiton away from fossil fuels are possible.

There combining a internal carbon tax with a carbon tax on imports can be one way to make countries like China do their part. Especially since a lot of their pollution is from exports while at the same it can be good to remember that US emissions per capita is still double that of China.

There are certainly good options, if we can get past the screaming. Market driven incentives can make a big impact.

However, while compact countries blessed with access to renewable energy sources like Scotland, Norway, Austria, etc. are good to hear - they don't necessarily apply everywhere.

Maybe that will help - but China also pushes back agains any type of tarriff. It's also beyond the point where we're asking China to 'do their part' - they're the problem. They account for almost 1/3 of the world's pollution and growing, while everyone else is decreasing. It's the elephant in the room that no one wants to address.

Much of the problem lies with short-term thinking. Politicians have finite professional lives, and addressing something which spans generations just isn't 'sexy' for, I suspect, the majority of his/her electorate who want action and results now; neither is it politically advantageous for the politician.
With lobbyists around, those politicians can and will be bought to turn their heads away from harmful (to us) facts.

What is needed is a cohesive, multilaterally international approach, much like the Montreal Protocol. It is now thirty years since it was enacted and it worked. We can do anything if the will is there.
I agree, we could only if we collectively would but -------$ :poop: + $ ☠️ + complacency controls too many minds. imo

Question 1: Why was the Montreal Protocol enacted and ratified by every country on the planet, including Reagan's conservative administration?
Question 2: Why has the above Protocol been so successful?

No, no, no. You have it all wrong. The only questions that matter are:

1. Who is the Night King?
2. What does he want?

Of course, the left's answer to climate change (and everything else), is to raise taxes.

Of course, the left's answer to climate change (and everything else), is to raise taxes.
How much (ball park), has the Montreal Protocol cost you in raised taxes over the thirty years since it was enacted? You don't know and it probably never even crossed your mind to find out.

There are certainly good options, if we can get past the screaming. Market driven incentives can make a big impact.

However, while compact countries blessed with access to renewable energy sources like Scotland, Norway, Austria, etc. are good to hear - they don't necessarily apply everywhere.

Maybe that will help - but China also pushes back agains any type of tarriff. It's also beyond the point where we're asking China to 'do their part' - they're the problem. They account for almost 1/3 of the world's pollution and growing, while everyone else is decreasing. It's the elephant in the room that no one wants to address.

China is leading the world in solar deployment. And that lead is substantial.

They are also investing billions in addressing their pollution problem, while Trump decided that removing environmental protections was a great idea.

And? They are still producing almost 1/3 of the world's pollution - and growing.

This has been a topic discussed for a couple of decades that came with warnings that if we don't do something to change our ways when it comes to our atmosphere, we'll be in an irreversible position to prevent dire consequences to life. Those warnings have become more urgent these past 5 years, imo. Unfortunately, a certain set of humans have ignored, sometimes laughed at, making any proper changes needed to avert what's dead ahead. Extreme heat, droughts and forest fires. We're at a point right now, in which heat, drought and fires are growing in many places, including the US. We're witnessing the toothpaste escaping the tube no longer able to put said toothpaste back into the tube.

Since we're on a faster track with these increasing hardships due to climate change, (thanks to willful ignorance from those in leadership positions + those willing to follow), we're faced with having to adapt and cope with such coming dire consequences already in partial progress. Keep in mind that not only humans suffer, but animals as well. Crops dwindle away causing more hunger and especially poorer choices of what we eat simply because, a lack of choices available. Air that we need to breathe is becoming more smoke filled. Water shortages and in some cases poorer water quality. So, my friends, any ideas for all of the adaptations we'll be needing and experiencing over the next 10-20 years? (I know that the article expresses that we don't have any time left to adapt, but when push comes to shove - well - adaptation is what stands between life and death).

Issued by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, an organization of 195 governments, the report is drawn from a three-year analysis of 14,000 peer-reviewed scientific studies. It is the first major international assessment of climate-change research since 2013 and the first of four IPCC reports expected in the next 15 months.

“We’ve known for decades that the world is warming, but this report tells us that recent changes in the climate are widespread, rapid and intensifying, unprecedented in thousands of years,” said Ko Barrett, vice chair of the panel and the senior adviser for climate at the Office of Oceanic and Atmospheric Research at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. “Further, it is indisputable that human activities are causing climate change.”

“When you see what has happened this summer with heat waves in Canada and the heavy precipitation in Germany, I think this is showing that even highly developed countries are not spared,” said Sonia Seneviratne, a senior scientist at ETH Zurich in Switzerland and a lead co-author of the report. “We don’t really have time to adapt anymore because the change is happening so quickly.”

So, I take it, you are among the mindless drones who accept that:

1. Mankind will unite as one
2. Mankind thus united will be able to control and direct the climate of the planet.

Both of these are so ridiculous as to be markers of insanity.

And? They are still producing almost 1/3 of the world's pollution - and growing.
Nope...
Unlike Trump's insane idea that removing environmental protections was a great move, China is actually doing something positive,

Nope...
Unlike Trump's insane idea that removing environmental protections was a great move, China is actually doing something positive,
This didn't contribute anything to the discussion the first time you posted it.

You don't believe China is the world's biggest polluter?

This didn't contribute anything to the discussion the first time you posted it.
Because you don't like being challenged? How convenient. Maybe you should try some honesty and actually read and digest what you are presented with. Failing that provide your own contradictory data and we can have a civilised discussion. How about that?

Because you don't like being challenged? How convenient. Maybe you should try some honesty and actually read and digest what you are presented with.
lol. You aren't 'challenging me'.

Do you not believe China is the world's biggest polluter? Or that their pollution needs to be addressed?

Imo, we passed the tipping point a decade or two ago. Like everything else, those in money/power think there will be seats for them when the music stops playing….

Hi, Rexedgar!

There are, perhaps, two tipping points if one considers the United States of America response to global warming. The one people are familiar with is that point at which action taken by good ol' h. sapiens will no longer be able to reverse continued global warming.

There is a second one to consider. It was [Ed.: Gentle Readers, note the use of past tense,] the point at which the federal legislature of the United States became so ideologically polarized that no effective legislative action could be taken.

Regards, stay safe 'n well ... 'n pick up stock in A/c manufacturing companies. ;-)

lol. You aren't 'challenging me'.

Do you not believe China is the world's biggest polluter? Or that their pollution needs to be addressed?
I clearly did challenge you with the links I provided. You claimed China's pollution was growing, I showed you it was decreasing. How hard was that to figure out from my post?
Then there's this...
Being number two is easily ignored, right?

Unfortunately we ( as in the West) are struggling to convince our own citizens to wear a mask/get a vaccine during a pandemic. My faith that we can convince them that this is a threat is very very low.

Libertarians - 'In the end, the Earth will be engulfed by the sun.'

Conservatives - 'Science was invented by cannibalistic Satan-pedos.'

Moderates - 'Climate change is real, but... think of the economy. We need to slow walk this shit.'

Progressives - 'The world is on fire, here are the solutions, lets implement them.' (aka the fringe position)

I clearly did challenge you with the links I provided. You claimed China's pollution was growing, I showed you it was decreasing. How hard was that to figure out from my post?
Then there's this...

It’s the rationalization they always run to. It’s their remaining excuse for doing nothing.

Then there's this...
They managed to cut a derived measure, 'carbon intensity' by 1% in 2020, with insignificant reductions over 5 years. According to the Chinese government. Congrats on finding this.

The CO2 emissions have been, and continue to be, growing.

You also completely missed the point. China is the leading polluter, period. By a longshot. Producing almost 1/3 of the total emissions. Other countries have made great progress. The US has dialed back to levels last seen 50 years ago. But these improvements have been cancelled out by growth in pollution by China.

Maybe they are turning the corner a bit - levelling out, and that's good. But we can't have a conversation about addressing pollution without talking about the biggest polluter.

It’s the rationalization they always run to. It’s their remaining excuse for doing nothing.
And that's a false narrative from the left. Who is talking about 'doing nothing'? No one. The problem normally centers around what we can realistically do.

And that's a false narrative from the left. Who is talking about 'doing nothing'? No one. The problem normally centers around what we can realistically do.
The Montreal Protocol proves what we can realistically do; even Reagan's administration understood and ratified the treaty. Unfortunately today's conservatives want to put every possible hurdle in the way of addressing both climate change and pollution because 'taxes'. I asked another poster who brought up taxation how much extra he estimated to have paid over the thirty years since Montreal was enacted. His reply? Silence.

Then there's this...
Nope. And I addressed your link.

The Montreal Protocol proves what we can realistically do; even Reagan's administration understood and ratified the treaty. Unfortunately today's conservatives want to put every possible hurdle in the way of addressing both climate change and pollution because 'taxes'. I asked another poster who brought up taxation how much extra he estimated to have paid over the thirty years since Montreal was enacted. His reply? Silence.
Again, that's a false narrative.

"Taxes" is a valid issue. How we're going to pay for proposals IS one side of the problem. The other is effectiveness. Many of the more recent proposals from the fringe left have been either extraordinarily expensive, questionably effective, or both. That's where things have been contentious. Others (like new green deal) are vague notions without anything that's really actionable.

More realistic things aren't as contentious, and we've made great progress there. To say that conservatives are 'anti-environment' just isn't true.

Back
Top Bottom