• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump's Swipe at Martinez Alarms GOP

Trump's Swipe at Martinez Alarms GOP | RealClearPolitics

Trump took a very public and dramatic swing at a rising star within the GOP ranks. Governor Martinez is a twice-elected Republican Governor from a historically democratic state with a high hispanic population. She is often cited as a potential VP pick specifically because she could, theoretically, help with Mr. Trump's disapproval amongst Latinos and Females.

So why did Trump take a swing at Martinez?

But that seems really pathetic doesn't it? I mean there are several other prominent Republicans who have yet to endorse Trump - Paul Ryan being a very prominent example who has not endorsed Trump despite false allegations made by Manafort. Could Martinez's race or sex be at least one of the reasons Trump is willing to attack her and not Ryan?

The single best defense that I have seen from Trump surrogates is that Trump is showing his willingness to stand up to colleagues who aren't getting the job done. This is at least a semi-viable argument...although it does have the inevitable effect of helping your colleagues to lose their job. The worst defense is that Trump is attacking her out of frustration at being slow to endorse him. Is the man really so childish and so stupid as to think that attacking these individuals publicly will help garner their support?

Apparently, Martinez does not take kindly to these childish and bullying attacks.

Just another chapter in the most entertaining election cycle in a long time.

The man is attempting to unite the Republican Party. The only people he should be criticizing are Hillary, Bill, and Barack Obama.

The economic record for these governors can't be the only distinguishing factor. After all, Chris Christie comes from New Jersey where

Source
:lamo
If he ignored it you would start a thread bitching about how Trump ignored New Mexicos dismal economy and their GOP governor.

If he ignored it you would start a thread bitching about how Trump ignored New Mexicos dismal economy and their GOP governor.

Solid logic there, Lou.

What? Trump's not attacking Martinez because she's female or Hispanic.

I agree. He's attacking her because he's an asshole and a moron. Her being Hispanic and female isn't relevant, although it does make a good story.

I like Martinez. Trump's a freaking maggoty moron.

So why isn't Trump going after Chris Christie? New Jersey after all is experiencing the 8th slowest job growth of any state in the country and is only one of 13 states to not have fully recovered all of its lost jobs from the recession.

Because Christie is massaging his back with hot oils every day.

Because Christie is massaging his back with hot oils every day.

You know, generally the way that language works is one person uses words, and the listener/reader interprets those words and turns them into images.

What? Trump's not attacking Martinez because she's female or Hispanic.

In this case, probably not. But when he's created an image of being anti-Latino going after a Latino governor in a state filled with Latinos isn't the slickest decision.

You know, generally the way that language works is one person uses words, and the listener/reader interprets those words and turns them into images.

Hey, misery loves company. I get that awful image every time I see the two of them together, with Christie standing behind Trump, gazing adoringly at him...

Though I agree with what you say about Trump not thinking beyond the moment when using his mouth, he did not turn millions into billions with out looking beyond his next move.

Trump seems to feel that the key to the election is economic policy, both micro and macro and not gaining the support of specific ethnic groups. Trump calling out Republicans with dubious economic records could well strengthen his appeal to these swing voters.

It's been shown that Trump would have made more money over the years by sticking what he got from his dad into an index fund and letting it sit and grow. But he decided that he was a great businessman...and made less money as a result.

In other words, he's not as savvy a businessman as you might think. Not only that, but he's a snake-oil salesman, too - just ask most people who "attended" Trump University.

What he is...is loud. He's Yosemite Sam writ large...and with about as much common sense. Thing is - and just like in the old cartoons - such people are so easily manipulated...and that's what those who are eager to harm America see right away - all they have to do is poke him in the right way, and he'll do just what they expect him to do...against the people they want him to do it to.

It's been shown that Trump would have made more money over the years by sticking what he got from his dad into an index fund and letting it sit and grow. But he decided that he was a great businessman...and made less money as a result.

In other words, he's not as savvy a businessman as you might think. Not only that, but he's a snake-oil salesman, too - just ask most people who "attended" Trump University.

What he is...is loud. He's Yosemite Sam writ large...and with about as much common sense. Thing is - and just like in the old cartoons - such people are so easily manipulated...and that's what those who are eager to harm America see right away - all they have to do is poke him in the right way, and he'll do just what they expect him to do...against the people they want him to do it to.

How many people would he have employed throughout that time? Is the 'bottom line' larger and vastly more significant than a $$$ amount in a bank account? Isn't it ironic that people like you that trash him for NOT being just another blood sucking financial whore regularly trash blood sucking financial whores?

(CNN puts the figure at around 67,000 people annually-not counting contract employees)

I doubt it. Lets say Trump inherited say 15 million, or even 20 million from his father. Forbes places Trump's current networth at 4.5 billion.

I wish the stocks in the Fortune 500 index fund that I have shares in appreciated to the extent that they are now worth 200 times more than when I bought them decades ago , but they have not- not even close.

Last edited:
No, but the argument goes like this - Trump has not attacked Paul Ryan despite his public unwillingness to support Trump just yet. Meanwhile, Martinez - who has done the same (merely withheld support for now) - is being attacked. The difference between these two individuals (they are both prominent and rising stars within the Republican Party after all) is their respective political positions, their race, and their sex.

I suppose one could make the argument that Trump is going easier on Ryan because he needs Congressional support once he takes office and he doesn't need a Governor's support. But that's about the best I can do to explain the difference in Trump's standard without noting that it could be caused by her race or sex.

Has it been printed anywhere in Trump's own words that he made the comment because she won't endorse him, or are you assuming that part of this story?

I doubt it. Lets say Trump inherited say 15 million, or even 20 million from his father. Forbes places Trump's current networth at 4.5 billion.

I wish the stocks in the Fortune 500 index fund that I have shares in appreciated to the extent that they are now worth 200 times more than when I bought them decades ago , but they have not- not even close.

I didn't make up that claim. Here's the article from Fortune magazine.

How many people would he have employed throughout that time? Is the 'bottom line' larger and vastly more significant than a $$$ amount in a bank account? Isn't it ironic that people like you that trash him for NOT being just another blood sucking financial whore regularly trash blood sucking financial whores?

(CNN puts the figure at around 67,000 people annually-not counting contract employees)

Including how many jobs that he outsourced overseas? Then there's the four times he went bankrupt - one wonders what you'd be saying about Hillary if she'd gone bankrupt four times. And THEN there's the two times he got bailed out by a Saudi prince.

Then there's Trump University, and Trump Steaks.

Dude. He's a Yosemite Sam who inherited more money than you or I will ever see. The fact that he was able to make more money along the way does NOT speak especially well of him, especially when I see people like Bill Gates or Steve Jobs or others who literally started their business in garages and built them into the largest businesses on the planet.

Including how many jobs that he outsourced overseas? Then there's the four times he went bankrupt - one wonders what you'd be saying about Hillary if she'd gone bankrupt four times. And THEN there's the two times he got bailed out by a Saudi prince.

Then there's Trump University, and Trump Steaks.

Dude. He's a Yosemite Sam who inherited more money than you or I will ever see. The fact that he was able to make more money along the way does NOT speak especially well of him, especially when I see people like Bill Gates or Steve Jobs or others who literally started their business in garages and built them into the largest businesses on the planet.

How can we compare Hillary's economic record? Or Sanders? Hell...it's hard to compare records of a guy that has 40 years building businesses to a collection of douchebags that have never started so much as a lemonade stand.

Let's agree...there's plenty to not vote for him over. I won't be voting for him. But his financial and business history? Well...you certainly invite comparison when you 'go there', don't you?

I doubt it. Lets say Trump inherited say 15 million, or even 20 million from his father.

The number usually quoted is a little higher: $40 million in 1974, when he became the president of his dad's RE firm. But then there were many more injections, usually in the form of cheap loans, and, finally, a much-disputed amount of final inheritance, when his father died in 1999.

Trump's Swipe at Martinez Alarms GOP

tRump says something outrageous and unpredictable

tRump gets national publicity for which he paid not a cent

mission accomplished*

*flight jacket, 'mission accomplished' banner, and aircraft carrier furnished at member's expense

“To Bernie Sanders: We created 11,000 new jobs at Disneyland in the past decade, and our company has created 18,000 in the U.S. in the last five years. How many jobs have you created? What have you contributed to the U.S. economy?” Even liberal supporters like Disney are a bit perturbed at the mindless liberal rhetoric attacking businesses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So why isn't Trump going after Chris Christie? New Jersey after all is experiencing the 8th slowest job growth of any state in the country and is only one of 13 states to not have fully recovered all of its lost jobs from the recession.

I don't know... Maybe because HE WAS TALKING TO A CROWD IN NEW MEXICO WHERE MARTINEZ IS GOVERNOR.

Back
Top Bottom