• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump Wants to Deliver Prime Time Address on Government Shutdown and Will Visit the Border

I hope Trump listens to you.

There is no way for your plan to fail. I mean, it didn't fail in 2018. It's why Republicans still control the house, and can pass any bill they want in the Senate.

Trump should listen to seasoned scholars like yourself.

:)

Sent from Trump Plaza's basement using Putin's MacBook.

Pissed off much Bro? It's why Trump beat Hillary and picked up seats in the Senate!! :2wave:

I expect fear mongering non sense...The usual trump babblefest,..You expect different?

How is this news from you... Don't you despise president Trump?
Same crap just a different day!

Declaring a national emergency so a wall can get built after the legislation your own party voted for... did not include it...

If that's what ends up happening, it sounds like a reasonable thing to do that will have absolutely no political blowback.

It is beginning to sound like a banana republic if he thinks that he can do what some people think he will announce. Personally I say let us wait until he says what he wants to say and then we can start laying into to him, his plans and his party, but only if he says outrageous and ridiculous things.

And I think the courts will get really busy sooner rather than later and a lot of GOP politicians will have to determine if they want to hang their wagons on the Trump wagon train moving forward or whether they will break with him to have a better chance of winning the coming up electoral cycle.

Pissed off much Bro? It's why Trump beat Hillary and picked up seats in the Senate!! :2wave:
... Trump beat Hillary in 2018? You're middle management material, aren't you?

He lost the house. His power is checked, hence his authoritarian stunt and childish tantrum.

Maybe he ought to listen instead to the voters. They rejected his wall, twice. He's looking at declaring this emergency so he can get powers that the elected Congress won't give him. Does that sound to you how your government should work?

Since it is a political speech, does the loyal opposition get equal MSM time. They could accentuate his lies and puncture his airballs, misinformation, disinformation, distortions and in real time. They know what lies he is going to tell and could easily prepare the rebuttals. Not to make Trump appear as the fool, but to frame that point Trump will have already made.
/

It is beginning to sound like a banana republic if he thinks that he can do what some people think he will announce. Personally I say let us wait until he says what he wants to say and then we can start laying into to him, his plans and his party, but only if he says outrageous and ridiculous things.

And I think the courts will get really busy sooner rather than later and a lot of GOP politicians will have to determine if they want to hang their wagons on the Trump wagon train moving forward or whether they will break with him to have a better chance of winning the coming up electoral cycle.

Legal challenges are already being prepared.....He will not be able to declare himself supreme leader...Americans will resist

I really hope Trump listens to people like Bucky, Acadia and Common Sense. It will ensure Republican victories at all levels of government, forever.

These guys know, they're from the internet.

I really hope Trump listens to people like Bucky, Acadia and Common Sense. It will ensure Republican victories at all levels of government, forever.

These guys know, they're from the internet.

These are the same that screamed about how President Obama overeached...Now support a so-called President declaring himself supreme leader

So how much wall can be built on federal lands along the border? Seems the military might be able to build a bit in AZ and NM, almost none in Texas.

Map-of-US-Mexico-borderlands-showing-federal-lands-Cartography-by-Eric-Leinberger.png

These are the same that screamed about how President Obama overeached...Now support a so-called President declaring himself supreme leader
No, these guys they are well studied American youth with no bias whatsoever. They only have America's best interest in mind, and I'm sure Trump would hire them as they are the best that America can offer.

You're simply wrong, Mr. Saladin. Trump should listen to them, and not dirty liberals who know nothing of the constitution.

No, these guys they are well studied American youth with no bias whatsoever. They only have America's best interest in mind, and I'm sure Trump would hire them as they are the best that America can offer.

You're simply wrong, Mr. Saladin. Trump should listen to them, and not dirty liberals who know nothing of the constitution.

You might be right I stand corrected...LOL....Do we have to pledge loyalty to the motherland?...Starting tomorrow night?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/07/us/politics/trump-address-border-visit.html

Tuesday night 9 pm eastern time. This announcement imo will be the end of the shutdown and to declare a national emergency.

I can see that Mr. Trump might do just that, but that raises a question in my mind as to HOW he is going to "end the shutdown".

You see, in order to "end the shutdown" he is going to have to find some way of actually paying all of the employees and funding the full operations of the parts of the US government that are currently "running on empty".

In order to do that he is going to have to either

1. order Congress to pass legislation authorizing the payment of money as he directs;
  2. order the payment of money that Congress has not authorized and which does not LEGALLY exist to be paid out; or
  3. authorize himself to rule by decree.

In any of those cases, Mr. Trump would face a more than slightly negative reaction from Congress.

In the first case, Congress might well decide that it is an EQUAL branch of the government of the United States of America and simply refuse to pass that legislation. The odds that an attempt to order Congress to pass legislation would result in Mr. Trump being impeached, convicted, booted out of office, and banned (for life) from any public office are high. However, if that (impeachment et al) didn't happen and/or Mr. Trump "dissolved Congress" (to forestall an impeachment process), then Mr. Trump would have to fall back on Option 2 or Option 3.

In the second case, the money simply isn't, legally, there unless Mr. Trump just prints it - and that would wreck havoc on the US economy if the US mint complied. The odds that that would result in Mr. Trump being impeached, convicted, booted out of office, and banned (for life) from any public office are higher. If, however, the US mint refused to comply, or Congress showed signs of attempting to institute impeachment proceedings, Mr. Trump would have to fall back on Option 3.

In the third case, Mr. Trump is guaranteeing his own impeachment, conviction, expulsion from office, and lifetime ban on holding any public office IF Congress is allowed to reconvene. To prevent that, Mr. Trump would have to assume dictatorial powers and, if that happened, then the United States of America would be in flames within days.

HOWEVER, if Mr. Trump limits himself to simply declaring a national emergency and ordering the US military to build "The Wall" he might get away with it (at least until the American public realizes that he has just [effectively] DEfunded the US military by the amount that it will take to build "The Wall" and by doing so rendered the US military LESS capable of "defending the United States of America"). The defence industry jobs that would be lost as a result of the US military being (effectively) DEfunded by $25Bn (and the secondary jobs that vanish as a result of those jobs being lost) would likely have a VERY adverse effect on the American economy, so that would mean that the Option 2 results would likely kick in.

You might be right I stand corrected...LOL....Do we have to pledge loyalty to the motherland?...Starting tomorrow night?
Finally, you see the way.

I really hope Trump listens to these young, intelligent men with American passports. All of whom have middle management level experience in running things, and would be hired by Trump immediately because that's what he does. He hires America's best.

Nothing could possibly go wrong with these guys advising Trump. Republican victory in 2020 for sure.

;)

By legality, if you declare a national emergency you are ending the shutdown.

Really?

Would you like to show me the statutory provisions that allow the President of the United States of America to pay money that Congress has NOT authorized?

One of the things that the American Revolution was fought over was the right of the legislature to control the way that "The Crown" spent money.

A public address and declaring it a national emergency are both overdue.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Definitely the public address part. His appearance with Border Agents in the Press Room was also a good move, despite Democrats sticking their fingers in their ears any time anyone tries to give them the cold, hard fact on what's happening at our border.
Chuck and Nancy could shut down Kirstjen Nielson, but they can't shut Trump up on national tv.

I would declare the emergency but keep the shutdown. We know that the liberals will disregard the rule of law right until they need to claim they’re defenders of the constitution. So Trump should declare the emergency but he should only agree to reopen the government once the wall is actually being constructed otherwise the left will get their donors being paid once more and no wall to show for it
My thoughts exactly because as soon as he does it, the left is going to try yo tie him up in court. Some leftist judge will issue s stay order to prevent any construction. He should not sign any bill that does not include funding until the courts have had their say. If he signs s bill wny sooner, he wont get it built.

He should explain this to the public during his public address

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Definitely the public address part. His appearance with Border Agents in the Press Room was also a good move, despite Democrats sticking their fingers in their ears any time anyone tries to give them the cold, hard fact on what's happening at our border.
Chuck and Nancy could shut down Kirstjen Nielson, but they can't shut Trump up on national tv.

Will he declare Martial Law?......You excited by that?

Maybe America is about to discover just how vulnerable they are.
If a man who was elected President by a minority can shut down the government and arbitrarily declare a national emergency to give himself powers that the elected Congress won't, you might be about to learn a hard lesson.

As an interesting side bar, if the US government were the Canadian government, it would take exactly 100 votes to remove Mr. Trump from his "Head of Government" position and not one of those votes would be from a Democrat.

As an interesting side bar, if the US government were the Canadian government, it would take exactly 100 votes to remove Mr. Trump from his "Head of Government" position and not one of those votes would be from a Democrat.

Was this from Churchill? "The parliamentary system is the worst form of government in the world, after all the others."

Back
Top Bottom