• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump vows 'very long' government shutdown over border wall

That can easily be avoided if nine Democrats stop obstructing congress. Don't pretend that the Senate Democrats are not complicit.
You're welcome.

What are they obstructing? Their constituents do not want a wall, paid for by American tax dollars. They were voted in to represent their constituents.

"I am proud to shut down the government for border security... I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down."
-Donald Trump to Chuck Schumer.

Be prepared to spam this in every thread and on every page, because Republicans are going to try like holy hell to pin this on Democrats. Don't let them.
Not me. I give trump full credit for being a strong enough to shut down the gov. It will be up to the Democrats to decide when to reopen it. It will cost them 5.7 billion for a wall that they claim wont do anything. Is blocking the construction of a useless wall worth keeping the gov closed?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46637638

US President Donald Trump has threatened a "very long" government shutdown if Democrats do not fund his long-promised border wall.

In a series of tweets, Mr Trump demanded $5.7bn (£4.5bn), which was passed by the House of Representatives, but is expected to fail in the Senate.
==========================================
He had Tweeted that the shutdown would start today. I would not call his actions 'leadership.'

Make him pay for using Airforce One and for all the secret service detail around the White House and Mar-a-Lago.

What a petulant little disgrace, he is pissing off the republicans in the house and senate, not a good strategy.

Not me. I give trump full credit for being a strong enough to shut down the gov. It will be up to the Democrats to decide when to reopen it. It will cost them 5.7 billion for a wall that they claim wont do anything. Is blocking the construction of a useless wall worth keeping the gov closed?

It won't be "up to the Democrats to decide when to reopen it" because Trump has already taken full responsibility for the shutdown.

That can easily be avoided if nine Democrats stop obstructing congress. Don't pretend that the Senate Democrats are not complicit.
You're welcome.

No, it can be avoided by Trump not insisting on a shutdown since by his own words it is entirely his responsibility.

It won't be "up to the Democrats to decide when to reopen it" because Trump has already taken full responsibility for the shutdown.
I hold him responsible for the shutdown and them responsible for the reopening

I hold him responsible for the shutdown and them responsible for the reopening

It doesn't matter what you think. Trump has taken full responsibility for the shutdown.

Yes.

If Trump is willing to shut down government because he wants a wall that only his followers want, then the Ds should be able to shut down government for a wall their constituents do not want. Why should they cave to Trump when he told us all along that Mexico was going to pay for it?

What are they obstructing? Their constituents do not want a wall, paid for by American tax dollars. They were voted in to represent their constituents.

Show me where ALL of their constituents do not want a wall?

I'll wait.

You know and I know that they are not listening to their constituents. They are using the issue, like they used the Kavanaugh and fixing Health Care issues to NOT give this president any wins.
It's dirty politics as usual for the Democratic Party.

"I am proud to shut down the government for border security... I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down."
-Donald Trump to Chuck Schumer

That wouldn't be possible in this instance except for continuing resolutions.

We are on our second decade of Congress not being able to get budgets done right? No wonder the American people have such a low opinion of them, that is not even trying.

They're political cowards.

Serious question.
Can the House Bill be held in the Senate until 2019 when the House and Senate will look different?
That was exactly my wonder, earlier today! I'd like to know this answer, too.

:thumbs:

CBS

But CBS News polling from mid-November found that a majority -- 59 percent of Americans -- oppose building a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border. It's a partisan issue, though. A large majority of Republicans support the wall -- 79 percent. A majority of independents -- 66 percent -- oppose the wall, and 84 percent of Democrats are also against it.

Trump has no mandate to shut down the government in demanding new money be spent on a project only supported by the minority.

That was exactly my wonder, earlier today! I'd like to know this answer, too.

:thumbs:

An old document, but the answer is, no the bills cannot be carried over between sessions of Congress

https://www.naacp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/PRIMERBillLife.pdf

Relevant quote:

Once a Congress adjourns, however, at the end of its two-year cycle, all bills that have been introduced in either the House or the Senate that have not made it through the entire legislative process and signed into law are dead.

Does this idiot think we are stupid. Who would believe this crap?

Read some of the replies on this forum, yes, there people that stupid....

It doesn't matter what you think. Trump has taken full responsibility for the shutdown.

So what?
The obstructionist Democrats were once FOR the wall before they suddenly decided NOT to be for it...
This is all about defeating Trump's signature legislation, and YOU know it... so yeah, Trump is fully responsible for shutdown the government for a promise he made to the people. At least he has the balls to fight for the people he promised a border wall. The Democrats are complicit for being total obstructionists. I won't forget the next time I go to the polls.

So what?
The obstructionist Democrats were once FOR the wall before they suddenly decided NOT to be for it...
This is all about defeating Trump's signature legislation, and YOU know it... so yeah, Trump is fully responsible for shutdown the government for a promise he made to the people. At least he has the balls to fight for the people he promised a border wall.

So long as you acknowledge the shutdown belongs exclusively to Trump you can believe anything you want.

Does this idiot think we are stupid. Who would believe this crap?

He doesn't actually think.

He's a creature of pure emotion and reactions caused by stimuli that confuse and frighten him.

He doesn't possess a functioning memory.
He doesn't read.
He doesn't have the ability to reason.

In short, HE believes this crap, together w/most of his coprophilial supplicants and worshipers.

Last edited:
Show me where ALL of their constituents do not want a wall?

I'll wait.

You know and I know that they are not listening to their constituents. They are using the issue, like they used the Kavanaugh and fixing Health Care issues to NOT give this president any wins.
It's dirty politics as usual for the Democratic Party.

This isn't a polling thing. Politicians don't follow the latest poll to figure out what to do next. They have public records on their stances and were voted in for those stances. You are advocating for governing by populism.

That said, if a politician is a Democrat then, yes, their constituency voted for a Democrat. Among Democrats, support for the wall is very low. Even among all Americans, most think that the government should not be shut down to force funding for the wall.

Chuck should be taking advantage of the situation differently.
He says the House bill will not be passed by the Senate.
He should tell his guys & gals to vote for cloture.
That would force the Republicans to go on record with a vote for against the $5B.
I would have thought he'd love to see who went for it.
I know I would.
But that's assuming he's right about the unpopularity of the Wall.
Pelosi was wrong about the House.
Ya think maybe Chuck is wrong about the Senate?
Why not get everyone on record.
If it went to closure, I believe it will pass.

The only thing preventing it from passing, is the fear of implementing the so-called nuclear option of killing the 60 vote filibuster rule.

So what?
This is all about defeating Trump's signature legislation, and YOU know it... so yeah, Trump is fully responsible for shutdown the government for a promise he made to the people. At least he has the balls to fight for the people he promised a border wall. The Democrats are complicit for being total obstructionists. I won't forget the next time I go to the polls.

LOL! Trump could have had his wall some time ago, and he, and he alone shot down that chance.

He owns this, much as he apparently owns you.

You're welcome.

That is not obstruction, what a silly thing to say. The democrats are voting their principles as are the republicans. Rhetoric like that is just obfuscation.

I did not dispute that he said that and I agree that he deserves full credit for it

-Donald Trump to Chuck Schumer.

Be prepared to spam this in every thread and on every page, because Republicans are going to try like holy hell to pin this on Democrats. Don't let them.

You have to wonder if they realize republicans are still in control. I don't think they do. case in point

No bias there.

The Left want open borders and aren't interested in protecting America...only getting new voters.

Back
Top Bottom