• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump vows 'very long' government shutdown over border wall

case in point

The Democrats are forcing the shutdown.
Nine of them need to vote to avoid the shutdown.
See how simple life can be....

Merry Christmas!

I did not dispute that he said that and I agree that he deserves full credit for it

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

But you were also trying to shift some measure of blame to the Democrats in some way. That obviously is a failure because Trump has taken full responsibility for it.

case in point

I dont approve of shut downs but Trump was completely reasonable here, Congress decided that the President of the United States can be ignored.

It's time for a tune-up.

case in point

Continuing resolutions are a failure residing with Congress. A budget is one of their core responsibilities, and the political football game that ensues with the failure of Congress to fulfill their responsibilities can hardly be blamed on the Executive branch.

case in point

Not me. I give trump full credit for being a strong enough to shut down the gov. It will be up to the Democrats to decide when to reopen it. It will cost them 5.7 billion for a wall that they claim wont do anything. Is blocking the construction of a useless wall worth keeping the gov closed?

Not me. I give trump full credit for being a strong enough to shut down the gov. It will be up to the Democrats to decide when to reopen it. It will cost them 5.7 billion for a wall that they claim wont do anything. Is blocking the construction of a useless wall worth keeping the gov closed?
Anyone posting such utterly moronic cap certainly can not even imagine the level of stupidity it displays.

An old document, but the answer is, no the bills cannot be carried over between sessions of Congress

https://www.naacp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/PRIMERBillLife.pdf

Relevant quote:

Once a Congress adjourns, however, at the end of its two-year cycle, all bills that have been introduced in either the House or the Senate that have not made it through the entire legislative process and signed into law are dead.
Thanks much for this. It seems to answer the question, and makes sense as well.

I'll be sure to pass-on a similar good deed as yours, when the opportunity presents itself. ;)

Pity he ain't staying at the White House. He would starve to death since all the WH staff will be layed off.

Sent from my Honor 8X using Tapatalk

No bias there.

The Left want open borders and aren't interested in protecting America...only getting new voters.

No we don't. We just know that solutions from the 5th Century BC are wastes of money for 21st Century (AD) challenges.

He doesn't actually think.

He's a creature of pure emotion and reactions caused by stimuli that confuse and frighten him.

He doesn't possess a functioning memory.
He doesn't read.
He doesn't have the ability to reason.

In short, HE believes this crap, together w/most of his coprophilial supplicants and worshipers.
Well, not being familiar with the term - I had to look it up. Now, I'm a bit sorry I did! :2razz:

Fact: The majority party in both the Legislative and Executive branches can't prevent the government from shutting down over its own internal disagreements.

If they think this is the Democrats' fault, they're obvious too incompetent to lead the nation.

That is not obstruction, what a silly thing to say. The democrats are voting their principles as are the republicans. Rhetoric like that is just obfuscation.
Much more, they're voting their constituency.

Pity he ain't staying at the White House. He would starve to death since all the WH staff will be layed off.

Sent from my Honor 8X using Tapatalk

"Essential Personnel" are expected to work without compensation during the shutdown. This would include the Secret Service.

Then again, Trump has had many people work for him in the past and didn't pay them.

So what?
The obstructionist Democrats were once FOR the wall before they suddenly decided NOT to be for it...
This is all about defeating Trump's signature legislation, and YOU know it... so yeah, Trump is fully responsible for shutdown the government for a promise he made to the people. At least he has the balls to fight for the people he promised a border wall. The Democrats are complicit for being total obstructionists. I won't forget the next time I go to the polls.

Ummm... have you checked which party controls both houses of Congress and the White House?

(Hint: it's the Republicans)

No bias there.

The Left want open borders and aren't interested in protecting America...only getting new voters.

The only Americans who want open borders are the Libertarians. Liberals want border security that makes sense in the modern world, and a wall is medival.

I'll be totally on board with Trump's promised wall, just as soon as Mexico's check clears.

Yes.

If Trump is willing to shut down government because he wants a wall that only his followers want, then the Ds should be able to shut down government for a wall their constituents do not want. Why should they cave to Trump when he told us all along that Mexico was going to pay for it?
It is certainly a fair criticism to point out that he hasnt got Mexico to pay for it in any measurable way.

Where the Democrats get themselves into trouble, imo, is taking a rigid stance. The best move the dems could do here is offer Trump 3 billion in a deal that keeps him from closing the gov over funding for a wall.

3 billion is a drop in the ocean for a budget of 4 trillion. So they dont really have a good financial argument.

They claim their is no problem at our border and that even if there were one the wall would be an ineffective deterrent. Those are arguable points but none of them depict the wall as being harmful. It's a benign structure that they are willing to keep the gov closed to keep it from being constructed.

The natural question people will ask themselves is the wall isnt harming anyone and it isnt overly expensive, why not give be the bigger person and give in to him to serve the greater good?

There is only a handful of answers to that question and none of them make the Democrats look very good.

1. They are lying about the wall. It will work and they want the border to remain as it is so badly they are not willing to do anything to reopen the gov.

2. Its purely political and they are willing to do anything to block Trump from having a political win, including not giving him 6 billion to keep him from closing the gov.

Trump on the other hand has a justification. He is arguing on the behalf of national security. Now they can say he is wrong about that and they can debate that but if he believes that like many do. His argument is reasonable.

"I am proud to shut down the government for border security... I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down."
-Donald Trump to Chuck Schumer.

Be prepared to spam this in every thread and on every page, because Republicans are going to try like holy hell to pin this on Democrats. Don't let them.

Only the gutless ones will try to pass it off. The rest of us will proudly own the shut down. I say good and he should start shutting more down than just the so called nonessential departments. I also say the longer the better and no make up pay for any of the employees affected. Make Congress have to override a veto and own their bull****. If he shuts it down he is doing what I elected him to do.

The point was and is that if Congress fulfilled it's budgetary responsibilities, this event would not occur. Trump won his election, and he's fully within his right to express his objection to the level of funding for the wall, whether you agree with it or not. That portions of the government will shut down is the fault of Congress, not Trump. They're the ones who can't pass a budget.

Totally Trump's fault. Even he acknowledges it and is proud of it.

He has the right indeed. He also has the right to fire nukes. So what?

Show me where ALL of their constituents do not want a wall?

I'll wait.

You know and I know that they are not listening to their constituents. They are using the issue, like they used the Kavanaugh and fixing Health Care issues to NOT give this president any wins.
It's dirty politics as usual for the Democratic Party.
I dont think they are seeing the big picture. In 2020 they are not gonna be able to claim they are moderates when Trump has them on record voting against the wall and other things he is trying to do. 2020 may turn into a red tsunami.

Yea, it takes some integrity, not much but some to admit something instead of asking 'so what?'

The obstructionist Democrats
Why not read McConell's words, so you do not appear as uninformed as your posts indicate?

This is all about defeating Trump's signature legislation
You forgot about Mexico, not that anyone expects any honesty from you.

Trump is fully responsible for shutdown the government for a promise he made to the people.
Yea, to you lies are promises.

At least he has the balls
He never had any, he is a piece of crap coward.

Serious question.
Can the House Bill be held in the Senate until 2019 when the House and Senate will look different?
I would think both houses would need to vote on it again. New Congress would most likely require a new vote but I'm not sure

I dont approve of shut downs but Trump was completely reasonable here, Congress decided that the President of the United States can be ignored.

It's time for a tune-up.

So the GOP led Congress is ignoring their President?

Back
Top Bottom