• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump says U.S. government shutdown to last until agreement on border wall

chapter 1, art of the deal

Inheriting **** loads of money, and then scamming people and institutions is now an art? I suppose you could look at flimflamming in that light.

Is it correct that not one bank in North America would lend him money? I think it's fair to say he has a terrible reputation with them.

Last edited:
Trump. He said so.

You must forgive me if Trump supporters' rules about when Trump says things that matter are indecipherable due to their constantly shifting nature.

Because a GOP congress completely ignores their President. Ok, so the President has no influence or responsibility for policy, even if he demands that policy be enacted. K. Let's play with this really clever defense you've thought up.

Say.... if someone were to do an intensive search of DP, they wouldn't be likely to find a bunch of posts from you defending Obama from fellow right-winger's attacks with the same line, right? Wait, they SHOULD be likely to see that. I mean... he's not responsible for the "Affordable Care Act", is he? He only signed it, for chrissake! He didn't force them to right it. So you defended him for it, yes?

:roll:

I can only hope you guys keep going until you render yourselves sufficiently irrelevant in everyone else's eyes. There are plenty of independents and some Republicans who see Trump for what he is and have abandoned him. His cesspool has energized Democrat voters who sat home instead of going to bat for Hillary. This will continue to happen as long as said people have the sort of rank dishonesty you have displayed to frown at.

If people can't look at someone who says Trump doesn't own the shutdown that Trump said he would be proud to own and think "yeah, that person isn't worth listening to. Nothing anyone can say or show will matter", then I might as well kiss the last bit of hope for humanity that I harbor goodbye.

It's much simpler than that: your posts on this subject are pure dishonesty and obfuscation. Besides, it's old hat.

You did the same thing every time the GOP said they would shut down the government unless Obama gave in to their demands, then shut it down....you still blamed Obama, despite the fact that "He can only sign or veto bills."

But the rules are always different for the D.....

done and done

He actually doesn't have the floor yet. No bill has been sent to him, he hasn't veto'd anything. The bill is still in the senate. How can the president have anything to do with something that hasn't passed the senate?

Yeah, I heard McConnell won't allow a vote on it, because it doesn't have the $5b for the wall in it, that is correct isn't it? Obviously trying to save Trump from his very obvious faux pas.

Trump said he would own a shutdown, and now there is a shutdown. Trump get's his wish.

That would cause more harm than simply buying the great wall of derp.

I suspect he'll have to find a way of folding that doesn't look like abject defeat. Perhaps he'll have to give the Dems something bigger, then have to lie to his base about whatever it was.

Probably correct.

Any comment on the substance or did the line have to be cast before the bait died?

thought the hi-lite made it obvious
the stupidity of the tRump supporters' embarrassing attempts to defend the indefensible has been effusive

to wit
I can only hope you guys keep going until you render yourselves sufficiently irrelevant in everyone else's eyes.

thought the hi-lite made it obvious
the stupidity of the tRump supporters' embarrassing attempts to defend the indefensible has been effusive

to wit

Ah, but you see.....I have holiday cheer tonight, and it sounded like you were highlighting just that line while anti-highlighting the wall of text to have a go at me (aka, to say I rendered myself irrelevant via my comment).

Maybe I misread it.

oops?

I hope that he keeps his promise to keep the government closed down until a compromise is reached.

Of course, no one expects Nancy and Chuck to give five billion, but they should be expected to meet him halfway.

If President Trump refuses to budge, then many government employees (who are probably mostly liberal Democrats) will put pressure on Nancy and Chuck to compromise.

How sweet that would be to see those two eat crow.

The Democrats have publicly announced that they are going to give him hell once the new Congress convenes. So President Trump has no reason to be overly generous in the face of such impertinence.

They have already tried several times to work with him. Remember several months ago?? They would have given him the 26B if he would fix DACA . Gee he said no. He was give a few opportunities to negotiate - guess who said no?? Yep your precious Trump.

I wish you a Merry Christmas anyway. Sorry you'll get coal.

He actually doesn't have the floor yet. No bill has been sent to him, he hasn't veto'd anything. The bill is still in the senate. How can the president have anything to do with something that hasn't passed the senate?

A bill was sent to him. He said he would sign it - then Ann Coulter and Rush Limbaugh didn't approve. So this is where we are. In idiot land.

More irrelevant what about Obama!
You have trouble realizing what that Trump campaigned for a wall, the house passed a bill for a wall. The bill is before the senate and Republicans will vote Yes on it, democrats are saying they will vote no. If their arnt enough senators voting yes on it the government shutsdown. This is where we are. So until democrats vote YES the government wont getting funded.
The senate would have to make amendments to the bill and get republicans in the senate to vote YES on it then go back to the house for a majority Dem house has to vote YES on it before it can come to Trump so he can Veto or Sign it. Since that has not happened its not Trumps fault 9 democrats in the senate wont vote YES on it. Its those Democrats who are holding things up. How do you rationalize things differently?

That's so absolutely convoluted I have no idea how many holes I can poke in that.

Instead - Merry Christmas

Yeah, I heard McConnell won't allow a vote on it, because it doesn't have the $5b for the wall in it, that is correct isn't it? Obviously trying to save Trump from his very obvious faux pas.

Trump said he would own a shutdown, and now there is a shutdown. Trump get's his wish.

All of that is rhetoric, politic mumbo jumbo. McConnell obviously didn't fight hard for a wall funding. But the house did. The senate passed a spending bill the house took it up and placed an amendment to giving $5 billion for a wall and then passed it, sending it back to the senate to vote on it. They bill has been laid before the table and so the next time the Senate can vote on anything it has be on this bill. H.R. 695. Which needs 60 senate votes to pass, so the negotiations are happening right now to get a couple democrat defectors.

A bill was sent to him. He said he would sign it - then Ann Coulter and Rush Limbaugh didn't approve. So this is where we are. In idiot land.
That's not true. A bill has never been to Trump because its never made it passed congress yet.

That's so absolutely convoluted I have no idea how many holes I can poke in that.

Instead - Merry Christmas

You can't because it is accurate, look up H.R. 695

That's not true. A bill has never been to Trump because its never made it passed congress yet.

He said he would sign the CR - McConnell got it through then voila!! Trump refused to sign it - thus causing the shutdown.

He has said time and time again he would deal and then OOPS nope. So McConnell won't put it through if he knows Trump won't sign it.

He said he would sign the CR - McConnell got it through then voila!! Trump refused to sign it - thus causing the shutdown.

He has said time and time again he would deal and then OOPS nope. So McConnell won't put it through if he knows Trump won't sign it.

No McConnell got HR 695 passed but it had to then be passed by the house which it got amended and now has to re-pass the senate.
Are you having trouble following along?

I hope you manage to make it out of Faux Newsland soon.

Dude what planet are you on?
Trump hasn't been given a bill. You can literally track where these bills are, so your friends you can now go back and tell them what they told you was wrong.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-until-agreement-on-border-wall-idUSKCN1OO0NR

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump on Tuesday said the partial shutdown of the federal government was going to last until his demand for funds to build a wall on the U.S.-Mexico border is met.

The U.S. government partially shut down on Saturday, and there is not yet any sign of tangible efforts to reopen agencies closed by a political impasse over Trump’s demand for border wall funds.
==========================================
The Donald is afraid that Rush might be right: no wall, no reelection. He is now taking the direction of our Government from Conservative pundits as well as Fox & Friends.

May be he just wants to keep his promise. You can look at this from a negative or a positive angle. While I am not a fan of the man, I have to admire him trying to keep his promises. Not many politicians are willing to take the hit trying to do so.

Do the Democrats even have a coherent reason for not wanting more of a wall? I mean, there are some areas of the border that already have a wall. Do they want those torn down? Most things they just oppose because it will hurt them in some way, like the wall.

May be he just wants to keep his promise. You can look at this from a negative or a positive angle. While I am not a fan of the man, I have to admire him trying to keep his promises. Not many politicians are willing to take the hit trying to do so.

His promise was to have Mexico pay for the wall. Doubt he cares about promises broken, it’s about ego at this point.

His promise was to have Mexico pay for the wall. Doubt he cares about promises broken, it’s about ego at this point.

The wall hasn't been funded yet, but I get your point.

Wonder why those democrats are filibustering a spending bill that would end the shutdown.

It's pretty hard to conduct a filibuster when neither the House nor the Senate is actually in session - but your question is a good one.

Dumb, but good.

It's pretty hard to conduct a filibuster when neither the House nor the Senate is actually in session - but your question is a good one.

Dumb, but good.

Yes I was speaking of what will happen tomorrow

I hope that he keeps his promise to keep the government closed down until a compromise is reached.

Of course, no one expects Nancy and Chuck to give five billion, but they should be expected to meet him halfway.

To Mr. Trump, "halfway" between $0.00 and $5Bn is $35Bn.

If President Trump refuses to budge, then many government employees (who are probably mostly liberal Democrats) will put pressure on Nancy and Chuck to compromise.

Or simply not bother to show up for work.

How sweet that would be to see those two eat crow.

And if there is a spending bill that does NOT include funding for "The Wall" which Mr. Trump ends up signing, then - what?

The Democrats have publicly announced that they are going to give him hell once the new Congress convenes. So President Trump has no reason to be overly generous in the face of such impertinence.

You do realize that a part of the "checks and balance" system is that the Legislative Branch is NOT required to act servile to the President of the United States of America - especially if they feel that the President is wrong - don't you?

Back
Top Bottom