• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump says U.S. government shutdown to last until agreement on border wall

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-until-agreement-on-border-wall-idUSKCN1OO0NR

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump on Tuesday said the partial shutdown of the federal government was going to last until his demand for funds to build a wall on the U.S.-Mexico border is met.

The U.S. government partially shut down on Saturday, and there is not yet any sign of tangible efforts to reopen agencies closed by a political impasse over Trump’s demand for border wall funds.
==========================================
The Donald is afraid that Rush might be right: no wall, no reelection. He is now taking the direction of our Government from Conservative pundits as well as Fox & Friends.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-until-agreement-on-border-wall-idUSKCN1OO0NR

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump on Tuesday said the partial shutdown of the federal government was going to last until his demand for funds to build a wall on the U.S.-Mexico border is met.

The U.S. government partially shut down on Saturday, and there is not yet any sign of tangible efforts to reopen agencies closed by a political impasse over Trump’s demand for border wall funds.
The Donald is afraid that Rush might be right: no wall, no reelection. He is now taking the direction of our Government from Conservative pundits as well as Fox & Friends.

What a juicy tidbit to toss to the Democrats.

When the House/Senate resume sitting, they can pass all sorts of really keen legislation and Mr. Trump will have to reject all of them as well as having to deal with a civil service where increasing numbers of people simply refuse to work unless they have been paid in accordance with the laws of the United States of America.

This is Trumps shutdown. He owns it and he can end it today....

Donald J. Trump on 11 December 2018 said:
“I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down. I’m not going to blame you (Democrats) for it.”

Wonder why those democrats are filibustering a spending bill that would end the shutdown.

LOL, Fox and Friends have become the de facto directors of American policy? Normally I would have scoffed at such an idea, but that was before Trump. Now it seems.......expected somehow. The star of a show pretending to be about "business experience" getting his advice from a show pretending to be about the "news". Very apropos imo.

Last edited:
Wonder why those democrats are filibustering a spending bill that would end the shutdown.

Trump wanted the shutdown. He accepted responsibility. Hasn't he been keeping you in the loop?

Donald Trump:

“I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down. I’m not going to blame you (Democrats) for it.”

I hope that he keeps his promise to keep the government closed down until a compromise is reached.

Of course, no one expects Nancy and Chuck to give five billion, but they should be expected to meet him halfway.

If President Trump refuses to budge, then many government employees (who are probably mostly liberal Democrats) will put pressure on Nancy and Chuck to compromise.

How sweet that would be to see those two eat crow.

The Democrats have publicly announced that they are going to give him hell once the new Congress convenes. So President Trump has no reason to be overly generous in the face of such impertinence.

Wonder why so many conservatives dishonestly blame Democrats for a shutdown Trump even said he owned.

Just kidding. I know exactly why.

shut it down until Trump is out of office, and don't give him a penny for his great wall of derp.

shut it down until Trump is out of office, and don't give him a penny for his great wall of derp.

That would cause more harm than simply buying the great wall of derp.

I suspect he'll have to find a way of folding that doesn't look like abject defeat. Perhaps he'll have to give the Dems something bigger, then have to lie to his base about whatever it was.

This is a typical Trump tactic -- make demands that he insists the other side must accept. He hopes that the other side will capitulate. He always backs down when they don't.

That would cause more harm than simply buying the great wall of derp.

I suspect he'll have to find a way of folding that doesn't look like abject defeat. Perhaps he'll have to give the Dems something bigger, then have to lie to his base about whatever it was.
What Individual-1 could do is have the House and Senate pass whatever bill they want and present it to the President. If he fails to sign it or return it to the Congress within ten days (except Sundays) it shall become law "in like Manner as if he had signed it," according to Article I, Sec. 7 of the constitution.

This way, he can say he won't sign it but it becomes law anyway.

Trump wanted the shutdown. He accepted responsibility. Hasn't he been keeping you in the loop?

Donald Trump:

He actually doesn't have the floor yet. No bill has been sent to him, he hasn't veto'd anything. The bill is still in the senate. How can the president have anything to do with something that hasn't passed the senate?

Wonder why so many conservatives dishonestly blame Democrats for a shutdown Trump even said he owned.

Just kidding. I know exactly why.
It doesn't matter what he says he owns. Tell me where his ownership lies? He can only sign or veto bills.
Does he have anything to sign or veto? NO
The shutdown is because congress (house & senate) haven't passed the appropriations bill. The house passed H.R. 695 and the senate is sitting on it.

You must be getting your news for some crappy media sources.

I hope that he keeps his promise to keep the government closed down until a compromise is reached.

Of course, no one expects Nancy and Chuck to give five billion, but they should be expected to meet him halfway.

If President Trump refuses to budge, then many government employees (who are probably mostly liberal Democrats) will put pressure on Nancy and Chuck to compromise.

How sweet that would be to see those two eat crow.

The Democrats have publicly announced that they are going to give him hell once the new Congress convenes. So President Trump has no reason to be overly generous in the face of such impertinence.

But will trump meet them halfway, or somewhere between the $5B he demanded and Pelosi/Schumer’s offer of $1.5B? And what do you mean by “compromise?” Total capitulation by the Dems?

Trump is offering nothing in return, so the Dems have no incentive to capitulate. And apparently the public is blaming trump for the shutdown.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...mp-gop-shutdown-over-wall-dispute/2334326002/

LOL, Fox and Friends have become the de facto directors of American policy? Normally I would have scoffed at such an idea, but that was before Trump. Now it seems.......expected somehow. The star of a show pretending to be about "business experience" getting his advice from a show pretending to be about the "news". Very apropos imo.

You just made me actually LOL.

It doesn't matter what he says he owns. Tell me where his ownership lies?

Trump. He said so.

You must forgive me if Trump supporters' rules about when Trump says things that matter are indecipherable due to their constantly shifting nature.

He can only sign or veto bills.
Does he have anything to sign or veto? NO
The shutdown is because congress (house & senate) haven't passed the appropriations bill. The house passed H.R. 695 and the senate is sitting on it.

Because a GOP congress completely ignores their President. Ok, so the President has no influence or responsibility for policy, even if he demands that policy be enacted. K. Let's play with this really clever defense you've thought up.

Say.... if someone were to do an intensive search of DP, they wouldn't be likely to find a bunch of posts from you defending Obama from fellow right-winger's attacks with the same line, right? Wait, they SHOULD be likely to see that. I mean... he's not responsible for the "Affordable Care Act", is he? He only signed it, for chrissake! He didn't force them to right it. So you defended him for it, yes?

:roll:

I can only hope you guys keep going until you render yourselves sufficiently irrelevant in everyone else's eyes. There are plenty of independents and some Republicans who see Trump for what he is and have abandoned him. His cesspool has energized Democrat voters who sat home instead of going to bat for Hillary. This will continue to happen as long as said people have the sort of rank dishonesty you have displayed to frown at.

If people can't look at someone who says Trump doesn't own the shutdown that Trump said he would be proud to own and think "yeah, that person isn't worth listening to. Nothing anyone can say or show will matter", then I might as well kiss the last bit of hope for humanity that I harbor goodbye.

You must be getting your news for some crappy media sources.

It's much simpler than that: your posts on this subject are pure dishonesty and obfuscation. Besides, it's old hat.

You did the same thing every time the GOP said they would shut down the government unless Obama gave in to their demands, then shut it down....you still blamed Obama, despite the fact that "He can only sign or veto bills."

But the rules are always different for the D.....

Last edited:
He actually doesn't have the floor yet. No bill has been sent to him, he hasn't veto'd anything. The bill is still in the senate. How can the president have anything to do with something that hasn't passed the senate?

A bill did pass called a CR and he did not sign it. Look, all through his life, when the bankers said they want their money,

trump simply wasn't going to pay them back so he got up, walked away and declared bankruptcy. That's how he made a living.

He can't do that anymore The people will tell their 'bankers' in the senate, go around trump, pass a bill or you are gone.

Trump. He said so.

You must forgive me if Trump supporters' rules about when Trump says things that matter are indecipherable due to their constantly shifting nature.

Because a GOP congress completely ignores their President. Ok, so the President has no influence or responsibility for policy, even if he demands that policy be enacted. K. Let's play with this really clever defense you've thought up.

Say.... if someone were to do an intensive search of DP, they wouldn't be likely to find a bunch of posts from you defending Obama from fellow right-winger's attacks with the same line, right? I mean... he's not responsible for the "Affordable Care Act", is he? He only signed it, for chrissake!

:roll:

I can only hope you guys keep going until you render yourselves sufficiently irrelevant in everyone else's eyes. There are plenty of independents and some Republicans who see Trump for what he is and have abandoned him. His cesspool has energized Democrat voters who sat home instead of going to bat for Hillary. This will continue to happen as long as said people have the sort of rank dishonesty you have displayed to frown at.

It's much simpler than that: your posts on this subject are pure dishonesty and obfuscation. Besides, it's old hat.

You did the same thing every time the GOP said they would shut down the government unless Obama gave in to their demands, then shut it down....you still blamed Obama, despite the fact that "He can only sign or veto bills."

But the rules are always different for the D.....

More irrelevant what about Obama!
You have trouble realizing what that Trump campaigned for a wall, the house passed a bill for a wall. The bill is before the senate and Republicans will vote Yes on it, democrats are saying they will vote no. If their arnt enough senators voting yes on it the government shutsdown. This is where we are. So until democrats vote YES the government wont getting funded.
The senate would have to make amendments to the bill and get republicans in the senate to vote YES on it then go back to the house for a majority Dem house has to vote YES on it before it can come to Trump so he can Veto or Sign it. Since that has not happened its not Trumps fault 9 democrats in the senate wont vote YES on it. Its those Democrats who are holding things up. How do you rationalize things differently?

This is a typical Trump tactic -- make demands that he insists the other side must accept. He hopes that the other side will capitulate. He always backs down when they don't.

Yep, you can always count on Trump reverting to his true nature, Bottom Boy.

Putin, Erogad, and Kim Jong Un certainly do.

EDIT: And the Saudis! Can't forget them, they've been enjoying them some Trump on the bottom for a while now.

A bill did pass called a CR and he did not sign it. Look, all through his life, when the bankers said they want their money,

trump simply wasn't going to pay them back so he got up, walked away and declared bankruptcy. That's how he made a living.

He can't do that anymore The people will tell their 'bankers' in the senate, go around trump, pass a bill or you are gone.

That CR you talk of hasn't made it to Trump yet. That CR was amended by the senate so it went back to the house were they passed it with an additional amendment and there for has to be re-passed through the senate. That is were it sits its called HR 695.
Trump hasn't received any CR to sing or veto yet.

This has to be the dumbest political stragety.

chapter 1, art of the deal

This has to be the dumbest political stragety.

But he got it from Fox AND Friends.

Look at it from Trump's perspective: "That's about seve... well... eig... ...um .....a lot of people right? How can they all be wrong when they always say such nice things about me? And the blonde, she's super cute, she must be right.
I bet she would like my little mushroom."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom