• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump says Pence partnership over as ex-president eyes 2024 comeback bid

I thought there was zero chance for him to get elected in 2016, but I was wrong.
I was too, but you'll never go broke betting on the ignorance of the American people.

In 2016 djt was an unknown, running against a terrible candidate. In 2020 he was known and President Biden wiped the floor with him. In 2024 he'll be more known than ever. He'll get his 30%, but he'd likely also be in a courthouse somewhere defending criminal activity. The tax cases will result in civil punishment, but his criminal activity will be laid bare.

I understand that R states regularly vote against their own self-interest, but I don't think they will just deny that he paid less taxes than they did because he cheated.

There is a sizeable enough number of never Trump folks that if he runs it will splinter the Rep vote and once again force independents to vote D, and the Dems cruise in to another term, regardless of who they run (maybe with the exception of Hillary)
This is good news for the Democrats, terrible news for the Republicans.
Although I mostly agree with your post, I would love to see HRC win the election. It would have republicans committing suicide. That would be fun to watch.

Anyone really believe Pence wanted back into that circus? I don't.
All Pence cares about is power. He knew what kind of a person Trump was when he took that job and it did not bother him in the slightest. Sociopaths often use religion to manipulate people and Mike Pence is a perfect example of that.

I thought there was zero chance for him to get elected in 2016, but I was wrong.
He was running against the unelectale Hillary...that's why he won. There is absolutely no chance in hell Trump wins in 2024. Absolutely none. Why would America re-elect a guy who schollaes have voted as the worst president ever?

The guy who needs to throw his hat in the ring is Larry Hogan. He would beat any Democrat running against him

All Pence cares about is power. He knew what kind of a person Trump was when he took that job and it did not bother him in the slightest. Sociopaths often use religion to manipulate people and Mike Pence is a perfect example of that.
I can't argue any of that. I think after 1/6, however, he jumped completely off the Trump train. His next train will no doubt suck as well.

I can't argue any of that. I think after 1/6, however, he jumped completely off the Trump train. His next train will no doubt suck as well.
He didn't jump off it by choice though. Trump wanted him to do something clearly illegal that Pence could not do. Since then Pence has been trying to have it both ways. Talking about what a great president Trump was and then saying that Trump was wrong about 1/6.

I hate these sorts of comparisons, but it reminds me of a passage from Munich by Robert Harris:

Everyone said---by everyone I mean people like me--we all said, ‘Oh, he’s a terrible fellow, Hitler; but he’s not necessarily all bad. Look at his achievements. Put aside this awful medieval anti-Jew stuff: it will pass.’ But the point is, it won’t pass. You can’t isolate it from the rest. It’s there in the mix. And if the anti-Semitism is evil, it’s all evil. Because if they’re capable of that, they’re capable of anything.”

Trump instigated a violent insurrection with the purpose of overthrowing the results of an election. If he is capable of that, he is capable of anything, and for Pence to walk around showering Trump with praise but saying well he was wrong on 1/6, that is utterly despicable.

Trump won't need a running mate.
He'll just have an "acting" VP, like he had for most of the cabinet positions.
And once he declares that he doesn't need the constitution to rule, the VP position will go away.
According to our Constitution though, if he didn't have a VP pick, anyone could basically get those Electoral votes. It would be interesting if they went to the D VP (likely Harris, no reason to think it wouldn't be). Not saying he would get the EC votes, but if he did without a VP, then Harris would have the potential of being his VP. The other potential is that the House would pick the VP.

He didn't jump off it by choice though. Trump wanted him to do something clearly illegal that Pence could not do. Since then Pence has been trying to have it both ways. Talking about what a great president Trump was and then saying that Trump was wrong about 1/6.

I hate these sorts of comparisons, but it reminds me of a passage from Munich by Robert Harris:

Everyone said---by everyone I mean people like me--we all said, ‘Oh, he’s a terrible fellow, Hitler; but he’s not necessarily all bad. Look at his achievements. Put aside this awful medieval anti-Jew stuff: it will pass.’ But the point is, it won’t pass. You can’t isolate it from the rest. It’s there in the mix. And if the anti-Semitism is evil, it’s all evil. Because if they’re capable of that, they’re capable of anything.”

Trump instigated a violent insurrection with the purpose of overthrowing the results of an election. If he is capable of that, he is capable of anything, and for Pence to walk around showering Trump with praise but saying well he was wrong on 1/6, that is utterly despicable.
Yep. Again, no argument from me.

Trump selected Mike Pence in order to provide a degree of steady adult temperament to the look of his administration, and that worked for Trump to help get him elected. Donald Trump's disloyalty to Mike Pence however, does NOT help Trump come across to a broader appeal of voters, especially Independent voters.

I don't disagree, with the bolded caveat "much," meaning not all. Those are the sorts who are typically the most ardent Trumpabs supporters.
absolutely not all.... much of the evangelical community is righteous. Its just when they become enamored with politics that they seem to get corrupted.

I'm just fascinated how stupid supposedly 'smart' people are..

Trump has a 40 year history of throwing friends, fellow businessmen, contractors, supporters and fellow politicians under the bus...

And still these 'smart' people latch onto to him and kiss his ass... Thinking, hoping, praying he will treat them differently...

But he doesn't... Pence kissed his ass for 4 years.. Now he's on Trump's shit list... I guess Pence isn't so smart...

absolutely not all.... much of the evangelical community is righteous. Its just when they become enamored with politics that they seem to get corrupted.
That mix of religion, toxic masculinity, and hyper-nationalism is a noxious cocktail.

That mix of religion, toxic masculinity, and hyper-nationalism is a noxious cocktail.
Plus many of them are hypocrites... They look the other way with Trump?? A guy who breaks Commandments daily, and lives his life 100% un-Christian...

Can't get more hypocritical than that...

He was running against the unelectale Hillary...that's why he won. There is absolutely no chance in hell Trump wins in 2024. Absolutely none. Why would America re-elect a guy who schollaes have voted as the worst president ever?

The guy who needs to throw his hat in the ring is Larry Hogan. He would beat any Democrat running against him
True, but he is too sane to win the Republican nomination.

/sarcasm on
Rumor has it, that MGreene is going to be Trump's VP candidate if he runs in 2024.

To the surprise of no one, Trump suggests Pence would not be on his 2024 ticket:

Former President Donald Trump is effectively ruling out tapping former Vice President Mike Pence as his running mate should he mount a third White House bid in 2024 and win the Republican nomination.

“I don’t think the people would accept it,” Trump told the Washington Examiner Tuesday evening during a wide-ranging telephone interview from Mar-a-Lago, his private social club and political headquarters in Palm Beach, Florida.

Trump specifically cited Pence's unwillingness to support the Big Lie as the primary reason. As for Pence?

Pence is considering a 2024 bid. He has let it be known he would not automatically stand aside if Trump ran and has accelerated efforts to establish his independence from the former president. Pence recently told a gathering of conservative lawyers Trump is flat “wrong” to claim the vice president is constitutionally empowered to throw out the results of a presidential election. Pence also took aim at Trump in a March speech to Republican donors.

Should shape up to be an interest GOP primary if both men run. I don't expect comments about penis size like in 2016 as Pence is a religious man, but it will be interesting to see the back and forth between them and how much the Big Lie will dominate the primary debates as a result.

GOP needs to find a way to get out of bed with Donald. He will dominate their platform and absolutely refuse to let them move on from the 2020 election.
I am sure it's a relief for Pence.

I was too, but you'll never go broke betting on the ignorance of the American people.

In 2016 djt was an unknown, running against a terrible candidate. In 2020 he was known and President Biden wiped the floor with him. In 2024 he'll be more known than ever. He'll get his 30%, but he'd likely also be in a courthouse somewhere defending criminal activity. The tax cases will result in civil punishment, but his criminal activity will be laid bare.

I understand that R states regularly vote against their own self-interest, but I don't think they will just deny that he paid less taxes than they did because he cheated.
Agree with your first 3 sentences, after that I need to quibble a bit. If nominated trump will get substantially more than 30%, that is his base, his rock bottom so to speak, then you add in those who despise trump, but would never vote for a democrat and consider an independent vote as a wasted vote.
Then we add in those who want to make sure SCOTUS stays conservative (Thomas and Alito aren't going to live forever) and there is the making of a competitive race again. I'm confident trump would never win again, but it wouldn't be a 60%-40% blowout.

Pence could win the rank and file republicans, but he couldn't even pay the trumpers to vote for him.

Agree with your first 3 sentences, after that I need to quibble a bit. If nominated trump will get substantially more than 30%, that is his base, his rock bottom so to speak, then you add in those who despise trump, but would never vote for a democrat and consider an independent vote as a wasted vote.
Then we add in those who want to make sure SCOTUS stays conservative (Thomas and Alito aren't going to live forever) and there is the making of a competitive race again. I'm confident trump would never win again, but it wouldn't be a 60%-40% blowout.
Tough to predict, but by 11.24 court cases will be further down the road, Putin will be seen as even more demented and djt's fawning over him will not play well.

Trump won't need a running mate.
He'll just have an "acting" VP, like he had for most of the cabinet positions.
And once he declares that he doesn't need the constitution to rule, the VP position will go away.

Lindell would be the perfect choice.

Back
Top Bottom