• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump: Mattis out as Defense Secretary Jan. 1

To be honest, I think you believe it’s petty because of your strong dislike of Trump.

Yup that’s exactly it. I will ask again, who in their right mind still likes that buffoon? Are you admitting that you do? Sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be honest, I think you believe it’s petty because of your strong dislike of Trump.

And I can make the argument that due to your love for trump you will defend him no matter the circumstance. See how that works?

So who is right and who is wrong here?

Yup that’s exactly it. I will ask again, who in their right mind still likes that buffoon? Are you admitting that you do? Sad.

I like how you’ve already answered your own question without waiting for my response. Feel free to continue making stupid assumptions, I sure won’t try and stop you. If you ever develop the intellectual curiosity to become better informed, let me know.

Blue State America won't be nice to trump in 2019......Blue State America's House starts soon...We will bring trump down...Watch and See

We? What congressional district do you represent? How much did you win your election by?

I like how you’ve already answered your own question without waiting for my response. Feel free to continue making stupid assumptions, I sure won’t try and stop you. If you ever develop the intellectual curiosity to become better informed, let me know.

You made the first assumption sweetheart, in that I’m only calling trump petty because of my dislike for him. Lol. Your assumption.

Blue State America won't be nice to trump in 2019......Blue State America's House starts soon...We will bring trump down...Watch and See

The trump cult doesn’t care, honestly. They believe trump is invincible and untouchable.

We? What congressional district do you represent? How much did you win your election by?

I stand with Millions who will bring down this idiot trump....Watch and see.....Will you cry?

We have learned that historically ---and Trump has even stated this himself, that when someone does something Trump doesn't like, he strikes back twice as hard. Trump was taken aback to some degree by the overwhelming amount of fear and outrage people would have over the new of Mattis' resignation. Trump hated it that Mattis appears to be so esteemed and valued and it made him look like the bad guy, which he is of course. :)

But this might just be the vindictiveness of his that backfires not only on Trump but on the country. It's just not good for he country to have one man that doesn't know what he's doing militarily, calling the shots for our 1.2 men and women that wear the uniform and who are in harm's way for this country. This new guy, Shanahan, is nothing more than a former Boeing executive and he will not have any voice in any military decisions. He's only going to be there to keep the empty seat warm.

You made the first assumption sweetheart, in that I’m only calling trump petty because of my dislike for him. Lol. Your assumption.

Yes, and I was clear about it. It wasn’t couched as a fake question, and had you denied it, I would have accepted that. And again being honest, you’ve made your dislike of the President pretty crystal clear. Can you show all the posts where I’ve defended Trump, or where I even stated who I voted for?

If you can give me another viable reason as to why trump would get rid of Mattis in just 9 days from now, instead of the usual “trump has the right to do that (no crap)!”, I’ll gladly listen and reflect on why trump might think that’s a good idea. Of course trump has the right, does that mean it’s the best thing for the country? Probably not. So, what are your thoughts other than “trump can do that!!!!!!”

Yes, and I was clear about it. It wasn’t couched as a fake question, and had you denied it, I would have accepted that. And again being honest, you’ve made your dislike of the President pretty crystal clear. Can you show all the posts where I’ve defended Trump, or where I even stated who I voted for?

Okay, great. I can’t dislike him and criticize him at the same time? I don’t get it. When did this become rocket science? So you are automatically going to just shrug away my thoughts because I don’t like trump? Why??? Honestly, trump is disliked by many. This is not news.

Please tell me what is so wrong with Mattis staying until 2/28? Wouldn’t that make for a better transition overall? What is trump’s reasoning on this, other than to show Mattis who is boss?

Petty.

Most of the cabinet members throughout the history of the United States are like temp workers. They serve a specific function and once the task is complete they are relieved of their duties.

I stand with Millions who will bring down this idiot trump....Watch and see.....Will you cry?

Cry about what? If he’s impeached and removed by Congress, that’s how the system works. Did you cry when Hillary lost?

Oh and also it’s not my fault trump keeps doing things that I dislike. So yes naturally that would equate to dislike of the man. Why would I like him? Now has trump done a few things I have liked, yes! Not many though. Again, what does it matter whether I like him as a person or not, and why should that have any bearing on my criticism of him? He does things I don’t agree with , yeah, I’m going to voice it. Maybe if he wound start to do decent things for the good of the country and not to enrich himself, I’ll change my opinion of him. But until then, yup, I usually dislike people who are self centered pricks and only care about their own self interest. Again, why is this so strange?

Most of the cabinet members throughout the history of the United States are like temp workers. They serve a specific function and once the task is complete they are relieved of their duties.

I get that. But Mattis was willing to stay until 2/28. If trump appreciated him like he said he did, why not just let him stay on? Wouldn’t that make for a more smooth transition? Why rush him out? Again it makes no sense to me. No sense at all. What is the rush when Mattis is willing & able.

If you can give me another viable reason as to why trump would get rid of Mattis in just 9 days from now, instead of the usual “trump has the right to do that (no crap)!”, I’ll gladly listen and reflect on why trump might think that’s a good idea. Of course trump has the right, does that mean it’s the best thing for the country? Probably not. So, what are your thoughts other than “trump can do that!!!!!!”

I already said I don’t know, but if I were to hazard a guess I would say since Mattis publicly stated he disagrees with Trump’s actions that Trump doesn’t feel he can trust Mattis to not be a negative influence during the transition.

It has been announced that Gen. Mattis will leave Jan 1 rather than February as he had announced.

https://abc7ny.com/politics/trump-mattis-out-as-defense-secretary-jan-1;-deputy-to-be-acting-chief/4954501/

Trump: Mattis out as Defense Secretary Jan. 1; deputy to be acting chief

WASHINGTON, D.C. --
President Donald Trump says Defense Secretary Jim Mattis will leave his post on Jan. 1. Trump announced Mattis' new departure date in a tweet, and said he's naming deputy defense chief Patrick Shanahan as acting secretary.

Did he not speak to Mattis before said tweet??? I cannot confirm that he actually told Mattis in any other way.

Okay, great. I can’t dislike him and criticize him at the same time? I don’t get it. When did this become rocket science? So you are automatically going to just shrug away my thoughts because I don’t like trump? Why??? Honestly, trump is disliked by many. This is not news.

Of course you can dislike him, never said otherwise.

Task Complete?......trump fired most before they accomplished anything, many were incompetent and unqualified from the start....yet trump still hired them.....Only the best....The whole thing is a fiasco

I don’t know what Trump’s motivations are, but it’s not Mattis’s choice on how long he gets to stay once he’s resigned. If he doesn’t support Trump’s decisions, why would Trump want to keep him around for two months?

I agree with the sentiment, at least. Mattis gave Trump a pretty big FU on the way out. It took Trump a day or two to realize it but once he did, I don't blame him for getting him out the door. I doubt if Mattis is a bit surprised, actually and would guess his offer to stay on for 2 months was just a courtesy to people in DoJ, an indication he didn't want to leave them high and dry, but never realistic.

Trump might as well fire the rest of his national security team as well while he's at it, which is a part of the problem. I've not seen anyone at the upper levels come out in favor of these latest decisions.

Oh and also it’s not my fault trump keeps doing things that I dislike. So yes naturally that would equate to dislike of the man. Why would I like him? Now has trump done a few things I have liked, yes! Not many though. Again, what does it matter whether I like him as a person or not, and why should that have any bearing on my criticism of him? He does things I don’t agree with , yeah, I’m going to voice it. Maybe if he wound start to do decent things for the good of the country and not to enrich himself, I’ll change my opinion of him. But until then, yup, I usually dislike people who are self centered pricks and only care about their own self interest. Again, why is this so strange?

Thanks, that was very clarifying. I was wrong in making a blanket assumption about your opinion earlier.

Did he not speak to Mattis before said tweet??? I cannot confirm that he actually told Mattis in any other way.

If he was a respectful man, he would have advised James Mattis ahead of the tweet, but as we know, he doesn't have any sort of reputation for being respectful to anyone. Case in point, Rex Tillerson.

I already said I don’t know, but if I were to hazard a guess I would say since Mattis publicly stated he disagrees with Trump’s actions that Trump doesn’t feel he can trust Mattis to not be a negative influence during the transition.

Okay, that’s plausible.

I agree with the sentiment, at least. Mattis gave Trump a pretty big FU on the way out. It took Trump a day or two to realize it but once he did, I don't blame him for getting him out the door. I doubt if Mattis is a bit surprised, actually and would guess his offer to stay on for 2 months was just a courtesy to people in DoJ, an indication he didn't want to leave them high and dry, but never realistic.

Trump might as well fire the rest of his national security team as well while he's at it, which is a part of the problem. I've not seen anyone at the upper levels come out in favor of these latest decisions.

I agree completely with your first paragraph. As to the rest of the national security team, one can disagree with a decision and still do the job they were hired to do. We’ll see how it plays out in the near future.

Back
Top Bottom