• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump Creates The Opportunity and Revitalization Council

According to this article in the NY Times, we should be cautious of this plan. It seems to be a method to enrich real estate developers. Many of the areas aren't depressed at all -- such as the area in Long Island City where skyscrapers are being built and where Amazon wants to put a headquarters.

That's simply not possible. According to the census tract, Long Island City is only 11% black. And this is all about Trump not being a racist. You mean, he supports development in an area that is primarily not black?

You simply buy into the propaganda with zero critical thinking.

There is plenty of information available as to the effectiveness of 'enterprise zones' which was a similar (if not identical) concept. What looks good on paper does not always mean that it will work as planned when implemented. Gentrification is already a major problem in many urban and suburban areas - declaring the remaining pockets of 'affordable' housing to be the 'preferred' place to put (or re-locate) a business is not apt to help keep them 'affordable'.

To OP: something Trump signed might help minorities. Therefore Trump is not racist.

The logic is hard to overcome.

I'm not a racist. You decided that the 35 million people are obviously not white. That's on you. Your post was extremely racist and I can see that I'm not the only one who caught it.

This is what I posted...
It should provide real and desperately needed revitalization to these communities, many of which, if not most, are primarily the home to countless "visible minorities".

Now...I'll thank you to quit misrepresenting my own words...
Does it bother you that your racism and lies show so badly?
I bet it does...eh?

This is what I posted...

Now...I'll thank you to quit misrepresenting my own words...
Does it bother you that your racism and lies show so badly?
I bet it does...eh?

I'm not the one who made a racist post. You did, and it's here for everyone to see.

You live in Canada because there aren't many blacks there, I know.

According to this article in the NY Times, we should be cautious of this plan. It seems to be a method to enrich real estate developers. Many of the areas aren't depressed at all -- such as the area in Long Island City where skyscrapers are being built and where Amazon wants to put a headquarters.

And yet according to all sources, this is designed to revitalize poorer communities.
Nice try but this is a GOOD thing.
I know it bugs you that Trump is doing something GOOD...but don't worry...you'll get over it.

You simply buy into the propaganda with zero critical thinking.

I don't oppose efforts to make the lives of poor people better.
You apparently do.
Enjoy your "morality".

Can you provide links as to why this is a "good move" when past 'enterpize zones' efforts have shown mixed (at best) results?

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/l...-growing-gentrification-problem/269-595670632

Why should I?
This executive order is a good effort to do some good for folks who need it.
That drives you out of your mind and frankly, I'm enjoying watching you good liberals try to make this out to be a bad thing.
It's amusing to see what blatant hypocrisy you're capable of.

I'm not the one who made a racist post. You did, and it's here for everyone to see.

You live in Canada because there aren't many blacks there, I know.

:lamo
OK you just go ahead and post your silly lies...I'm sure it comforts you.
"there aren't many blacks there".
Incredible...
I live in Canada because I was born here, and because I choose to live and raise my family in my home nation.
We can eat the fish in our lakes and rivers, and drink the water too. We don't really have "Ghettos". And we can disagree on politics, without tearing our nations to shreds. Oh and the beer is better...;)

But nice try there, my morally and intellectually challenged acquaintance.

OK you just go ahead and post your silly lies...I'm sure it comforts you.
"there aren't many blacks there".
Incredible...
I live in Canada because I was born here, and because I choose to live and raise my family in my home nation.
We can eat the fish in our lakes and rivers, and drink the water too. We don't really have "Ghettos". And we can disagree on politics, without tearing our nations to shreds. Oh and the beer is better...;)

But nice try there, my morally and intellectually challenged acquaintance.

Yes, and there are only poor blacks in Canada, just like there are only poor blacks in America. No white people are poor. Just blacks. Trump wants to give tax incentives to help the poor blacks! See, he couldn't possibly be racist, because no white people will be helped by this new council.

Own your words. You posted them. You brought race into this. Your post was racist to the very core.

Luckily, most Americans are smart enough to know that we have poor white people too - and most of us are too smart to try to make this story about race.

And yet according to all sources, this is designed to revitalize poorer communities.
Nice try but this is a GOOD thing.
I know it bugs you that Trump is doing something GOOD...but don't worry...you'll get over it.

Except that these aren't all poor neighborhoods.

From PBS:

Government watchdogs say the case underscores the ethical minefield they created two years ago when they became two of the closest advisers to the president without divesting from their extensive real estate investments.

Kushner holds a big stake in a real estate investment firm, Cadre, that recently announced it is launching a series of Opportunity Zone funds that seek to build major projects under the program from Miami to Los Angeles. Separately, the couple has interests in at least 13 properties held by Kushner’s family firm that could qualify for the tax breaks because they are in Opportunity Zones in New Jersey, New York and Maryland — all of which, a study found, were already coming back.

Six of the Kushner Cos. buildings are in New York City’s Brooklyn Heights area, with views of the Brooklyn Bridge and Manhattan skyline, where a five-bedroom apartment recently listed for $8 million. Two more are in the beach town of Long Branch, New Jersey, where some oceanfront condos within steps of a white-tablecloth Italian restaurant and a Lululemon yoga shop list for as much as $2.7 million.

Knowing the players, I don't take this as their altruism to help the poor but instead think it's another opportunity for them to enrich themselves using their government positions.

Yes, and there are only poor blacks in Canada, just like there are only poor blacks in America. No white people are poor. Just blacks. Trump wants to give tax incentives to help the poor blacks! See, he couldn't possibly be racist, because no white people will be helped by this new council.

Own your words. You posted them. You brought race into this. Your post was racist to the very core.

Luckily, most Americans are smart enough to know that we have poor white people too - and most of us are too smart to try to make this story about race.

I am owning my words. It's you who is intent on altering them. Why do you have to do that regularly?
Have I ever said anything about there being "only poor blacks in Canada"??? No.
It's staggeringly obvious that, without your "tool" of putting words in peoples' mouths, that you have nothing of any real value to add.
It seems that this is all about opposition to Trump, and for you, IMO of course, all about accusing everyone and anyone of racism...while you proudly post some of the most blatant racist crap yourself. Tell me...what exactly do you have against white folks? Why does skin colour matter so much to you?

I simply pointed out that Trump is doing something GOOD for communities which...in most cases...are primarily populated by visible minorities who really need the help. I'm happy this initiative is happening because I have always believed that the way society tends to ignore and even aggravate an already crappy situation, needs to be altered for the better. And this executive order is BETTER.

But alas...I'm sure you'll try to twist the words of this post too.
Such is the life of people who have very little positive to offer...

Except that these aren't all poor neighborhoods.

From PBS:

Knowing the players, I don't take this as their altruism to help the poor but instead think it's another opportunity for them to enrich themselves using their government positions.

And knowing the Dumbocrats...they'll all gather and howl like hell that this whole thing is a scam.
The Dumbocrats have done nothing to help the poor of America, except try to make them all dependant on welfare.
Oh and jail a massive swath of them. So it's no surprise that y'all would argue against this.
Makes one wonder just who are the "real racist elites"? Don' it...

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/...-aimed-at-revitalizing-distressed-communities

Haven't seen this anywhere and figured it was note worthy.
This executive order encourages development in 8000 down-trodden communities.
It should provide real and desperately needed revitalization to these communities, many of which, if not most, are primarily the home to countless "visible minorities".

So...anyone wanna tell me again just how "racist" the POTUS is?

Let this thread be a lesson to you. No positive actions by Trump will be tolerated and no good will shall be attributed to any Trump action. Trump is a criminal and the only reason he does anything is to enrich himself and spread hate about racial minorities.

If Trump declared “Free ice cream Friday” they’d find a way to make it out to be a criminal act.

That is because in your typical ignorant and uneducated fashion you fall for anything Trump feeds his lemmings.

Good Argument.

Let this thread be a lesson to you. No positive actions by Trump will be tolerated and no good will shall be attributed to any Trump action. Trump is a criminal and the only reason he does anything is to enrich himself and spread hate about racial minorities.

If Trump declared “Free ice cream Friday” they’d find a way to make it out to be a criminal act.

Ya...it's sad to watch all these fine Americans poopoo on things like this. Sad and at the same time...confirming.

No positive actions by Trump will be tolerated and no good will shall be attributed to any Trump action.
Hyperbole much?

Trump is a criminal
There is very strong indication to that.

and the only reason he does anything is to enrich himself and spread hate about racial minorities.
True. Can you name a single thing he has done without any benefit to himself of family or friends?

Oh please, you can do better than this type of bull crap.

No I simply used my eyes and common sense. Two skills you seem to want to knowingly ignore, or have simply forgotten.
I'm not surprised you'd try to make this out to be some sort of back-handed ploy to make money. It must be hard to oppose development in these poorer areas, knowing full well the Dumbocrats have done a big fat ZERO to provide opportunity to the people who live there. Between this and the bill concerning prison and law reform...I'd imagine you really need to forsake every "moral" fiber in your body now...just to oppose Trump.

Good on ya...:roll:

Trumps history clearly advises that if he offers you a gift with one hand you should watch the other.

Closely.

There is plenty of information available as to the effectiveness of 'enterprise zones' which was a similar (if not identical) concept. What looks good on paper does not always mean that it will work as planned when implemented. Gentrification is already a major problem in many urban and suburban areas - declaring the remaining pockets of 'affordable' housing to be the 'preferred' place to put (or re-locate) a business is not apt to help keep them 'affordable'.

They built a baseball stadium in downtown San Diego several years ago. The measure was voted down more than once, but kept coming back until it was approved.

Turns out a group of big money investors had purchased all the available real estate in anticipation of the stadium.

So we got a stadium.

I live in an area adjacent to North Park. The most desireable place to live in the country right now.

It is NOT North Park. But the speculators are scarfing up all the available homes anyway.

Its going to he interesting to see if it works out for them. But rents are going up anyway.

And they won't go down if it doesn't work out.

They built a baseball stadium in downtown San Diego several years ago. The measure was voted down more than once, but kept coming back until it was approved.

Turns out a group of big money investors had purchased all the available real estate in anticipation of the stadium.

So we got a stadium.

I live in an area adjacent to North Park. The most desireable place to live in the country right now.

It is NOT North Park. But the speculators are scarfing up all the available homes anyway.

Its going to he interesting to see if it works out for them. But rents are going up anyway.

And they won't go down if it doesn't work out.

If the same concept had been implemented by raising the taxes on all businesses located outside of a handful of 'opportunity zones' then the reaction would likely be quite different. This is simply another way of labeling crony capitalism as something else.

Back
Top Bottom