• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump commutes sentence of longtime adviser Roger Stone

How that draining the swamp going that Trumpsters had such a hard-on about when Trump was elected... Lol

Mebe Trump just wanted to protect Stone from the virus in jail? Duh?

One more case of Stump proving he is a genius and the second greatest president of all time. Plus he "aced" the test asking which is heavier a hippo or a chicken and count to seven starting with the number one?

Where do you get that from?

No lesser authority than Billy Barr has said so.

Leahy: "Do you believe a president could lawfully issue a pardon in exchange for the recipient’s promise to not incriminate him?"

Barr: "No, that would be a crime."

they didn't like Stone because they thought he had some inside knowledge of when Julian Assange was releasing the emails and was hiding that from them. He didn't. He was guessing and boasting. Since this was the FBI, they knew that Russia didn't give the emails to Assange just as they knew Trump didn't collude with Russia. I also believe the FBI knew it was Seth Rich but wanted to see what Roger Stone knew so he wouldn't expose the dirty cops at the FBI.

He does have inside knowledge that could damage the President. He admitted as much in an interview with NBC analyst Howard Fineman just after he had been granted clemency.

'“He knows I was under enormous pressure to turn on him. It would have eased my situation considerably. But I didn't."

No lesser authority than Billy Barr has said so.

Leahy: "Do you believe a president could lawfully issue a pardon in exchange for the recipient’s promise to not incriminate him?"

Barr: "No, that would be a crime."

When did Trump do that?

You said "abuse of power" is a crime. What is abuse of power?

It was not carried out. Talking about something in a fit of pique is not breaking any law.

Only because McGhan did not want to seen as being complicit with the commission of a possible crime. It wasn't a fit of pique. Trump directly and specifically instructed him to get it done and to call him once it was done.

Nope. That is just an argument based on an understanding of the law you might glean from a Hollywood movie.

Stone was convicted of process crimes, none of which were connected to Trump. If, as you want to believe, Stone committed actual crimes at the order of Donald Trump, then those would be entirely different charges, and not connected to the crimes for which he would be pardoned.

Witness tampering is a process crime?

You're not going to convince these people. They think anyone who does anything to harm their cult leader is evil, and that Trump is capable of doing no wrong.

They have put Trump above the law in their minds. Nothing, not even the Constitution, matters more to these cultists than Trump.

That really is the problem. The Republican Party has morphed into essentially a personality cult. When Trump is brought down, there will be a vacuum. Those that supported him in the Senate will be brushed aside as well.

Obama commuted nearly 2000 convictions and handed out 212 pardons. Do you have a point? Roger Stone was caught up in process crimes in the middle of a political witch hunt. He was prosecuted after refusing to turn against Trump..

Witness tampering is a process crime?

When did Trump do that?

You said "abuse of power" is a crime. What is abuse of power?

When your defense is 'abuse of power isn't a crime' you lost the argument.

Hopefully Barr will issue indictments of Comey, Strozk, Page, Brennan, Ohr, Rosenstein, McCabe, etc. soon.

I wouldn't be surprised if he did it as an 'October surprise'. But they'll never follow through: it'll just be late-game grandstanding to peel off a few more votes.

Well to the political Right, having power means you cannot abuse it. It's yours by default to use as you please. Unless you're a black guy in a tan suit, then umm, constitution or something.

you mean like obama pardon similar people and commuted similar sentences?

no outrage there? so we can dismiss your outrage now as just leftist hypocrisy.

Did Clinton pardon someone that did anything similar to Stone? If you have the proof, show it.

I wouldn't be surprised if he did it as an 'October surprise'. But they'll never follow through: it'll just be late-game grandstanding to peel off a few more votes.
That was the strategy in 2016. This isn't 2016. Trump is now running on his record, which is awful. In '16, Hillary was a tarnished opponent suffering from decades of smears and Russian misinformation. Everyone likes Biden's hometown authenticity.

Trump won the EC in '16 because the swing states were close and Comey's announcement peeled off enough voters to make it matter. Biden leads by large margins in the swing states; close in N. Carolina and even in Texas. If that holds up in November, Barr, who is a tool, can't peel off enough votes to reverse a Biden landslide.

Moreover, the more Trump sees he's losing, the more he becomes unhinged and loses more votes.

The only thing that Roger Stone did is get convicted on 7 out of 7 charges including witness tampering. Trump signaled to him throughout that if he didn't tell the truth he'd be freed. That is pure corruption staring you in the face and you're so blindly in love with Trump that you live in denial and please spare us the Whataboutism!

Trumped up charges, no pun intended.

He does have inside knowledge that could damage the President. He admitted as much in an interview with NBC analyst Howard Fineman just after he had been granted clemency.

'“He knows I was under enormous pressure to turn on him. It would have eased my situation considerably. But I didn't."

and........? You get from that that he HAD something, or that he could lie that he had something and would get off?

Trumped up charges, no pun intended.
Then it should have been easy to convince one juror out of 12. He couldn't.

Guilty people are always blaming someone else. Where is that well-known conservative personal responsibilty?

Only because McGhan did not want to seen as being complicit with the commission of a possible crime. It wasn't a fit of pique. Trump directly and specifically instructed him to get it done and to call him once it was done.

But, it never happened. No crime. Trump was rightfully pissed because he knew he did nothing wrong!!! He had the authority to fire him, so where is the crime???

I take that as you can't come up with any law. But, then again, we knew that, didn't we?

Evidently you don't understand plain English.

No one has given me the "abuse of power" law Color me surprised. You folks just believed CNN and constitutional scholars with a known hatred of Trump.

Back
Top Bottom