• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Third Party Candidates

Which third party candidate are you most interested in?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Romney has already lost two presidential elections, so I don't think he should be the candidate they stick in there. I was actually a fan of Paul and Kasich this cycle - Paul because he matched my views, Kasich because he was the only ****ing adult left on the Republican stage.

However, I'm expecting that if they do have a brokered convention, they're going to pick Rubio or Cruz, with a lean toward Rubio.

If Romney was the Republican nominee he could actually beat crooked Hillary. As a third party, well, a third party has little chance. I'm very much a Kasich man but I doubt he will be the nominee and he won't run a third party, although he might accept a VP for a third party candidate, such as Romney. If someone actually wins out over Trump at the convention it would most likely be Cruz as he had the second most delegates and a majority of the delegates wanting to dump Trump are in Cruz's camp. I don't see Rubio winning at the convention.

If Romney was the Republican nominee he could actually beat crooked Hillary. As a third party, well, a third party has little chance. I'm very much a Kasich man but I doubt he will be the nominee and he won't run a third party, although he might accept a VP for a third party candidate, such as Romney. If someone actually wins out over Trump at the convention it would most likely be Cruz as he had the second most delegates and a majority of the delegates wanting to dump Trump are in Cruz's camp. I don't see Rubio winning at the convention.

I still don't think he'd be able to rally the party. The Republicans haven't had a proper uniting force since Reagan, but I think Rubio was working his way up to it, until he started trying to play Trump's game.

...So what third party candidate(s) ARE you interested in? If I'm not mistaken, the American Conservative Party usually has someone run in the presidential election, and they seem like they might be your type.

I am usually willing to say who I have eliminated as a option. Who I will vote for is still open. I was hoping to vote for Gov. Walker but he's out of the game. I wasn't excited about Sen. Cruz, or any senator, but he was a possibility. Donald Trump was never a possibility for me and neither was Sen. Clinton. Do be fair, there is no Democrat I would consider. Really, Sen. Reid, VP Biden, Sen. Warren, San. Sanders? If I were a Democrat I'd be embarrassed. Of course, if I were a Republican I'd be embarrassed, too.

This morning I saw that Gov. Palin had said, concerning people who aren't voting for Donald Trump, "You're either with us or against us." Us? Would that "us" be her and Donald? If you're not for Donald and the Trumpkins you're against them. Fine. I'm for America. I don't worship liars, hucksters, deadbeats, and liberals. I'm disappointed in Gov. Palin but perhaps she's willing to sell out America for a shot at VP.

I said I'm still praying for a real candidate, not someone who literally has no chance. And, it doesn't necessarily have to be a third party. Maybe Trump will be overthrown at the convention. Maybe Romney will either be the nominee or run as a third party. If it is going to be a third party it is going to have to be a very well known name who could actually win states, not just get a 20% protest vote and elect Hillary. We don't need any David Frenchs.

It's less than 3 weeks till the convention.
Have you been to Free the Delegates 2016 – Allow the Delegates to the RNC to vote their conscience. and listen to the two conference calls of over a thousand people with hundreds of delegates in attendance?
This is a well organized movement. They are putting up TV and radio ads and have opened a office in Cleveland just blocks away from the convention. Some of these delegates that are part of #FreetheDelegates are on the rules committee. A federal class action suit was filed in Virginia by a delegate to be free to vote his conscience and the judge has agreed to hear the case.
There's going to be a showdown at the convention.
I know the Trump team is concerned because
1. his surrogates are whining about it 24/7.
2. When Trump feels threatened he starts up with trashing the candidates like he did throughout the primary now focusing his vitriol on those who have not endorsed him. Kasich, Bush and Cruz.

And last week there was an article at the Free Beacon? that said even the Clinton camp was getting concerned that Trump will get dumped. Because if she is forced to go up against another nominee her chances of winning would get a whole lot harder. Right now she is enjoying quite a lead over Trump. Trump has managed to put several states in the tossup column.

It's less than 3 weeks till the convention.
Have you been to Free the Delegates 2016 – Allow the Delegates to the RNC to vote their conscience. and listen to the two conference calls of over a thousand people with hundreds of delegates in attendance?
This is a well organized movement. They are putting up TV and radio ads and have opened a office in Cleveland just blocks away from the convention. Some of these delegates that are part of #FreetheDelegates are on the rules committee. A federal class action suit was filed in Virginia by a delegate to be free to vote his conscience and the judge has agreed to hear the case.
There's going to be a showdown at the convention.
I know the Trump team is concerned because
1. his surrogates are whining about it 24/7.
2. When Trump feels threatened he starts up with trashing the candidates like he did throughout the primary now focusing his vitriol on those who have not endorsed him. Kasich, Bush and Cruz.

And last week there was an article at the Free Beacon? that said even the Clinton camp was getting concerned that Trump will get dumped. Because if she is forced to go up against another nominee her chances of winning would get a whole lot harder. Right now she is enjoying quite a lead over Trump. Trump has managed to put several states in the tossup column.

My biggest fear is that if Trump is successfully dumped at the convention then Ted Cruz would be the nominee. I would rather have Trump than Cruz.

My biggest fear is that if Trump is successfully dumped at the convention then Ted Cruz would be the nominee. I would rather have Trump than Cruz.
Not me.
Trump endorsed one person running this primary, Congresswoman Ellmers of NC. She lost. Cruz endorsed and campaigned for Darryl Glenn and he won a five-way race for senator of CO.
Cruz would be better for down ballot races. But besides that, no one would have to worry about what was going to come out of his mouth or his positions on policy changing hourly like Trump.
But who know who the delegates will choose if given the chance. Personally at this point, I am on the ABT plan. Anyone but Trump.

It's a simple question for the people who can't stand either of the candidates our two-party system has blessed us with. Generally, the Green party and the Libertarian party are considered to be the big guys of third parties, so their candidates are the ones I'm including in this poll by name, but if there's a third party candidate you've got your eye on, I would appreciate it if you said why. As such, I've included an "other - here's why" option.

Only Johnson. He's pretty moderate, as I am.

Let's see if we can get him the 15% needed to get in the debates.

I'm normally against that but when both top nominees have such high negatives maybe we should allow everyone over 1% to be in the debates.

It's a simple question for the people who can't stand either of the candidates our two-party system has blessed us with. Generally, the Green party and the Libertarian party are considered to be the big guys of third parties, so their candidates are the ones I'm including in this poll by name, but if there's a third party candidate you've got your eye on, I would appreciate it if you said why. As such, I've included an "other - here's why" option.

I could never vote for either Trump or Clinton, one must sooner or later realize that voting for the lesser of two evils in this case will still leave evil in charge of this country. So I will follow my convictions and vote for Gary Johnson in November. Let other decide which poison they want this country to take, Trump, arsenic or Clinton, cyanide. I choose neither and will take neither just because they have an R or a D next to their name.

Johnson believes in individual freedoms, something our founding fathers also believed in. Something most Americans did believe in before the era of big government and an all powerful federal bureaucracy. So Johnson it is, let other dirty their hands with Trump and Clinton, be blinded by the R and the D. I like to keep both eyes open and vote for the best candidate available regardless of party. Even if that candidate is from some obscure party like the Libertarian Party.

I could never vote for either Trump or Clinton, one must sooner or later realize that voting for the lesser of two evils in this case will still leave evil in charge of this country. So I will follow my convictions and vote for Gary Johnson in November. Let other decide which poison they want this country to take, Trump, arsenic or Clinton, cyanide. I choose neither and will take neither just because they have an R or a D next to their name.

Johnson believes in individual freedoms, something our founding fathers also believed in. Something most Americans did believe in before the era of big government and an all powerful federal bureaucracy. So Johnson it is, let other dirty their hands with Trump and Clinton, be blinded by the R and the D. I like to keep both eyes open and vote for the best candidate available regardless of party. Even if that candidate is from some obscure party like the Libertarian Party.

I can only imagine what kind of headway we would make as a nation if more voters had that mentality.

If Johnson didn't suck so much on illegal immigration I could vote for him. I am sick of anti-American politicians sucking the testicles of illegal immigrants. A politician's duty is to the American citizens in their district, not people who have no legal right to be here. I am sure what ever other 3rd party candidates I might find palatable will be screwed out of ballot access in my state. So I will just leave that part of the ballot blank. Although it is tempting to vote for Johnson to send a message to the republicans. Because despite the fact the liberal media has portrayed Trump as this great opponent to illegal immigration, he is not.If you carefully listen to his Fox News and MSNBC interviews he is just as eager to let illegals stay in the US just as much as Clinton,Bush and others who suck the testicles of the illegal immigration lobby.

If Johnson didn't suck so much on illegal immigration I could vote for him. I am sick of anti-American politicians sucking the testicles of illegal immigrants. A politician's duty is to the American citizens in their district, not people who have no legal right to be here. I am sure what ever other 3rd party candidates I might find palatable will be screwed out of ballot access in my state. So I will just leave that part of the ballot blank. Although it is tempting to vote for Johnson to send a message to the republicans. Because despite the fact the liberal media has portrayed Trump as this great opponent to illegal immigration, he is not.If you carefully listen to his Fox News and MSNBC interviews he is just as eager to let illegals stay in the US just as much as Clinton,Bush and others who suck the testicles of the illegal immigration lobby.

Very well. Abstaining from voting for the President might not be as loud of a message to the major parties as voting third party, but it's still better than bending over for a terrible candidate.

I think I'm with you Pero, I'm going to go with Gary Johnson as well. I'm actually surprised there isn't more support for him yet.

I don't believe in a two party system. It is crap and just another form of monarchy...

I don't believe in a two party system. It is crap and just another form of monarchy...

How is it a monarchy? We get to decide if we want a Bush or a Clinton to govern over us, and every now and then they let a guy in from the little leagues! That's a TON of freedom right there!

I think I'm with you Pero, I'm going to go with Gary Johnson as well. I'm actually surprised there isn't more support for him yet.

But it's a good thing he's getting more and more support now. I'm actually suprised he's gotten mainstream media coverage.

Greetings, JC. :2wave:

I think there will be - it's still early enough in the game. . .

As much as I dislike Trump and Hillary, think it's very easy to get enamored with Stein and Johnson without looking into their policies too closely. In principle it seems they could be good choices to run the country but then I'd be wary of that in practice. I'm a big proponent of Green parties in general but there are reasons that these parties are not widely supported. I particularly disagree with Steins positions that nuclear is always dirty, and for a complete zero out on carbon emissions (impractical/impossible). She has also suggested a number of policies that I can't ever see making it past even a democratically controlled congress.

I see Gary Johnson generally as a right leaning libertarian. Whilst I like a lot of his social policies, I don't really agree with his fiscal policies or political philosophy (Ayn Rand, basically). I believe he has this grand plan to completely reform the tax system (FairTax), but don't know how convinced I am over implementation of that kind of thing. It also doesn't really bother me, but he'd cut all aid and support to Israel, not sure how well that would go down with conservatives who don't like Trump.

Last edited:
Hi Polgara! :cool:

Would you consider voting for him?

And how did your fireworks go?

Yes.

It rained, JC, and since it wasn't much fun sitting on our chairs under umbrellas, we didn't stay long. Sad...

Back
Top Bottom