• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Think It Over

You're not reading right.

The Gun Lobby's position was even if guns were banned (requiring an amendment to the Constitution) then they would still have a natural right to gun ownership.
ie: this "natural right" supersedes any law or constitution
well yes. The only reason these rights where ever recognized in the first place is because people enacted the violence against those who sought to suppress them. And if our own country does it with our government they can expect to get their heart cut out, as they should. Rights belong to the people not the government.

The USA fought Imperial Japan and the Nazis...won the Cold War, won the Space Race
But there are some tasks that are too big for it ?
I don't think this is too big I think it's just pointless. Banning private ownership of guns to the ignorant people can feel safe in their own homes is retarded.

I agree that US Law Enforcement (including if necessary the military) would follow the law/Constitution and follow orders.
Some members of the gun lobby dispute this.
Not if rights are usurped. If they Constitution is used to oppress and subjugate there will be a problem. last time that was the case there was a civil war.

Seems most gun owners and enthusiasts claim they hunt with their guns. So why 20-30 rounds ?

Fewer reloads. Lol. Most places have rules how many rounds you can have in your gun while hunting.

But the idea of having 20 or 30 round magazines is so you can shoot 20 or 30 times without having to change a magazine or reload the magazine.

well yes. The only reason these rights where ever recognized in the first place is because people enacted the violence against those who sought to suppress them. And if our own country does it with our government they can expect to get their heart cut out, as they should. Rights belong to the people not the government....

12744052_1148236958574260_4567975910961816853_n.jpg

...I don't think this is too big I think it's just pointless. Banning private ownership of guns to the ignorant people can feel safe in their own homes is retarded....

Excuse 2a

...if the Constitution is used to oppress and subjugate there will be a problem. last time that was the case there was a civil war.

Excuse # 3a

So how do you explain the USA's desire for North Korea and other countries to give up weapons of mass destruction.

They don't hurt anyone....

Because the weapons of mass destruction are in the wrong hands.

You're basing that on WHAT data?
Experience, I've though over the gun debate.

Are you making fun of a guy that was shot in the head as a defense of gun rights?
No, Im pointing out that the people who are a part of his campaign are ignorant and uneducated.

What about the suicides?
They make up most of the gun deaths in the USA.

That is basically a "what about" argument. I don't care what happens in other countries, my concern is the mass shootings that happen frequently in These United States; which you artfully never mention. ???
They happen in other countries too. Have you heard the news on France? But aside from that most of the time the shooters in mass shootings use guns that they illegally acquired. And in the small instance in which legally owned guns are used in mass shootings, of the millions and millions of guns legally owned in the USA less than 0.00000001% of them are used in mass shootings.

Fewer reloads. Lol. Most places have rules how many rounds you can have in your gun while hunting.

But the idea of having 20 or 30 round magazines is so you can shoot 20 or 30 times without having to change a magazine or reload the magazine.

Exactly. And limiting magazine capacity won't do anything to stop criminal misuse of guns. Number one, criminals don't care about the law and are going to use "high capacity magazines" whether the law says they can or not. Number two, considering the fact it takes a split second to switch out magazines even if criminals only did have access to limited round magazines won't do any good.

And less than 0.0001% of legal gun owners use their legally owned guns for that.

Source for that stat ?

And even if it were true...so what ?

Less than 0.00001% of nuclear weapons have ever been used to kill people...so why does the USA want North Korea to give up its means of self defense ?

No, it gives you the right to own the means to.

it recognizes a right of the people to have implements useful for self defense.

Given you have admitted you fear honest gun owners-why should anyone see your arguments as anything other than the product of an irrational phobia?

it recognizes a right of the people to have implements useful for self defense.

Actually it only speaks of bearing arms to provide for a "well regulated militia"

Go check the wording.

You just fell into excuse # 2a

Given you have admitted you fear honest gun owners-why should anyone see your arguments as anything other than the product of an irrational phobia?

Why would I fear an "honest gun owner" ?

I fear a gun owner who wants to kill .... and fear that I might be in his / her location when they decide to do so.

How do you tell the difference between honest and dis-honest gun owners ? (that is before they commit mass murder)

Actually it only speaks of bearing arms to provide for a "well regulated militia"

Go check the wording.

You just fell into excuse # 2a

you are lying again-it says the people have a right to keep and bear arms-nothing about them being in a militia. Nor does the federal government have any gun control powers as noted in Article One Section 8

you have already conceded the second amendment prevents the gun bans you pine daily for.

Fallacy #5-the argument that the second amendment doesn't vest unless one is in the militia.

But they're harmless...weapons of mass destruction don't kill people....
But they give bad people the ability to kill millions of innocent people, that's why they shouldn't be in the hands of bad people.

Source for that stat ?

And even if it were true...so what ?

Less than 0.00001% of nuclear weapons have ever been used to kill people...so why does the USA want North Korea to give up its means of self defense ?

Because North Korea doesn't want to use nukes to defend itself it wants to use nukes to harm innocent people. Although you can easily kill many more people with a nuke than with a gun its still a good idea to keep guns out of the hands of bad people, criminals, which are different from those who legally own guns.

To kill people you need three things, ability, opportunity, and intent. A gun only gives you the ability, it doesn't give you the opportunity and it certainly doesn't give you the intent.

Why would I fear an "honest gun owner" ?
Logically you shouldn't, and they make up the vast majority of the gun owners in the USA.

I fear a gun owner who wants to kill .... and fear that I might be in his / her location when they decide to do so.
Than you've got nothing to fear from law abiding gun owners.

How do you tell the difference between honest and dis-honest gun owners ? (that is before they commit mass murder)
Background checks, which by law you have to go through when you acquire guns. If you're against guns sold on the street, illegally, without background checks, than Im all with you and we should work to stop that.

Back
Top Bottom