• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Things I'm learning . . .

READ THIS! My dad had alzheimers and we put him in a very expensive home only to discover he was being abused physically as we saw bruises on him. The response we got from the director of the facility when we asked how can this be happening here was "they (the staff) was what they could afford. The staff consisted of teenage girls. We pulled him out of there and were lucky to find a nice facility but we had to go to Florida from Arizona to do it. It is very hard to witness A loved one once so strong and capable become totally dependent on others for the smallest of things. Brace yourself for a rough one.

We know a woman who used to supervise a shift at an Alzheimer's "assisted living" center. She was in charge of medications during her shift. The pay was low for all staff including her, but she thought she was doing good work (she's an RN). However, she quit because the liabilities to her and her license were too great. Alzheimer's patients not only can become irrational and/or wander off, but also violent. They were strictly forbidden from using any restraints, basically would find herself under violent attack including by large men for which had little options to defend herself - certainly couldn't hit back, the slightest incident has to be reported in writing to the state, and was concerned that the only way for anyone to get any sleep was basically to medicate them down at night - fearing this also could get her in trouble. She is the one who most cared, but she quit for the risks, legal and license liabilities.

Another thing I've learned: don't be too quick to declare nursing home abuse.....

This also applies to just abuse by medical folks IMO. Families who demand that soft restraints be removed are the first one to scream neglect when 5 minutes after they walk out the door, the Old Timer rolls/flings themselves out of bed or falls trying to get up unattended.

This also applies to just abuse by medical folks IMO. Families who demand that soft restraints be removed are the first one to scream neglect when 5 minutes after they walk out the door, the Old Timer rolls/flings themselves out of bed or falls trying to get up unattended.

I believe it. I was visiting an 80-year-old man in his assisted living facility. He had bed rails. I was watching TV with him when I looked over and damn! If he wasn't trying to climb over the bed rails. Christ in heaven.

He's senile. It's not like these people are thinking, "I'm going to break out of here!!" It's that they're thinking, "WTF are these and how come I can't get out of bed??"

It's very sad.

People can be assholes when it comes to blaming care facilities and critiquing the care their parents are getting. If they're so damned concerned?? WTF aren't they taking care of them at home??

Mom's boyfriend John (it was his brother I was visiting) is always saying, "They sure don't take care of him like family." Meant to be highly critical.

What I want to say is!!!! ::: "No, they sure don't. They don't let him get second-degree burns by allowing him to use a stove and dropping a pizza on himself." (I'd told him to disconnect the stove at his brother's home, and he couldn't be bothered.) "Oh! And BTW! He's probably not going to die alone on his bathroom floor lying there for 24 hours because the family was too cheap to buy him a Medic Alert!" (That would be about his sister who died exactly that way.)

What I really say though, is "Yeah, you're so right."

I believe it. I was visiting an 80-year-old man in his assisted living facility. He had bed rails. I was watching TV with him when I looked over and damn! If he wasn't trying to climb over the bed rails. Christ in heaven.

He's senile. It's not like these people are thinking, "I'm going to break out of here!!" It's that they're thinking, "WTF are these and how come I can't get out of bed??"

It's very sad.

That was my mom. Poor thing couldn't stand for a moment, but damned if she didn't try to get out of every bed and wheelchair we put her into.

Do you have anything to share from your personal care giving experiences?

Yes. On May 8th, 2008, my mother suffered a massive brain aneurysm. My father didn't find her for some time, but the E.R. managed to keep her alive long enough to transport to Saginaw (St. Mary's) for brain surgery. Her surgeon, Malcolm Field, did his level best to repair the damage, but, the damage was too severe. My mother would be in a vegetative state for the rest of her life. On June 2nd, 2008, my wife (fiancee at the time) was visiting my mother in intensive care when a nurse pulled me aside and told me that my mother had five more aneurysms in her brain. The one on her brain stem was coiled a few days later. She stayed at St. Mary's for some time before being sent to a rehabilitation clinic that specializes in weening patients off ventilators. I don't remember the name of the place, but they treated my absolute defenseless mother poorly. She got bed sores starting at that place.

I think towards the end of July, or maybe August '08, my mother was transferred to a long-term nursing home that was only thirty-thirty five minutes away from where my father and I were living. The two of us visited as much as we could, him more than me though. We took as best of care of her as we could, picking up the sizeable slack left by the nurses who'd ignore my silent mother for up to a documented four hours. Her bed sores got worse because the nurses would forget to rotate her. And they made her throat bleed any time they cleared her trachea. My father and I knew how to do it without hurting her or putting her into gagging fits that turned her face bright red.

It was a constant battle, and besides taking its toll on my poor mother, it was taking a heavy toll on my father and me. Starting in the fall of 2010, my father's doctor and my mother's doctor recommended to him that he needed to take care of himself and that he should consider bringing my mother home - a euphemism for letting her die. Well, he came out on the front porch one night while I was smoking a cigarette and broached the subject. I agreed; my mother had suffered enough.

So in February 2011 we went to court to petition to have all life sustaining measures performed on my mother stopped. It went through and into effect in March. While the nurses quit giving my mother food, they kept giving her water, prolonging her life and starvation. During the same time, during one of her few rotations of the day, she was dropped on the floor and her right shoulder was dislocated.

My mother passed away on April 19th, 2011.

The responsibility of being a care giver was… difficult, a long depressing road that changed me, put me on razor's edge on occasion (when the nursing staff ****ed up), gave me gray hair, ulcers, migraines and I saw nearly three years of my life just vanish and in the bitter end, the memory that I helped kill my own mother.

Yes. On May 8th, 2008, my mother suffered a massive brain aneurysm. My father didn't find her for some time, but the E.R. managed to keep her alive long enough to transport to Saginaw (St. Mary's) for brain surgery. Her surgeon, Malcolm Field, did his level best to repair the damage, but, the damage was too severe. My mother would be in a vegetative state for the rest of her life. On June 2nd, 2008, my wife (fiancee at the time) was visiting my mother in intensive care when a nurse pulled me aside and told me that my mother had five more aneurysms in her brain. The one on her brain stem was coiled a few days later. She stayed at St. Mary's for some time before being sent to a rehabilitation clinic that specializes in weening patients off ventilators. I don't remember the name of the place, but they treated my absolute defenseless mother poorly. She got bed sores starting at that place.

I think towards the end of July, or maybe August '08, my mother was transferred to a long-term nursing home that was only thirty-thirty five minutes away from where my father and I were living. The two of us visited as much as we could, him more than me though. We took as best of care of her as we could, picking up the sizeable slack left by the nurses who'd ignore my silent mother for up to a documented four hours. Her bed sores got worse because the nurses would forget to rotate her. And they made her throat bleed any time they cleared her trachea. My father and I knew how to do it without hurting her or putting her into gagging fits that turned her face bright red.

It was a constant battle, and besides taking its toll on my poor mother, it was taking a heavy toll on my father and me. Starting in the fall of 2010, my father's doctor and my mother's doctor recommended to him that he needed to take care of himself and that he should consider bringing my mother home - a euphemism for letting her die. Well, he came out on the front porch one night while I was smoking a cigarette and broached the subject. I agreed; my mother had suffered enough.

So in February 2011 we went to court to petition to have all life sustaining measures performed on my mother stopped. It went through and into effect in March. While the nurses quit giving my mother food, they kept giving her water, prolonging her life and starvation. During the same time, during one of her few rotations of the day, she was dropped on the floor and her right shoulder was dislocated.

My mother passed away on April 19th, 2011.

The responsibility of being a care giver was… difficult, a long depressing road that changed me, put me on razor's edge on occasion (when the nursing staff ****ed up), gave me gray hair, ulcers, migraines and I saw nearly three years of my life just vanish and in the bitter end, the memory that I helped kill my own mother.

l'm very sorry that your family had to go through that, Jango. I'm moved by your sharing these painful memories with us here. If there is any comfort to be had perhaps it is in the knowledge or belief that you loved her enough to make this difficult decision. And that she is in a better place.

Back
Top Bottom