• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Things I'm learning . . .

Maggie, I can't say I have much to offer, but if you ever need some encourage by PM or whatever, I am here. You have always been kind and because of that, I will always think fondly of you, you are a wonderful person, and I am truly sorry that your life is rough right now.

Yes, Maggie, you still need your "me" time. Caregiving 24 hours/day is very stressful. It is very hard to watch your parents go downhill before your very eyes. It takes a good bit of patience, and it also takes courage to watch it without panicking when their condition gets serious, as in *dying* serious. When it gets to that point, your impulse is to just wish it would be over instantaneously, but it unfortunately doesn't usually happen that way. When my dad was in his last days, we were literally praying for it to be over. It's hard to watch someone that you love holding onto life, when there is no chance of a quality life, and you know that their living will only present decline and render them unable to walk, talk, eat, or even interact in a meaningful way. Best wishes and hugs to you, Maggie.

Maggie, I can't say I have much to offer, but if you ever need some encourage by PM or whatever, I am here. You have always been kind and because of that, I will always think fondly of you, you are a wonderful person, and I am truly sorry that your life is rough right now.

*Hugs to you both*

Talked to my sister. Its not because of Medicare. Apparently the doctors are too afraid of dislodging them due to where and how they are in the legs and the amount.

THey must be afraid of facilitating a stroke or heart attack from the clots.

Talked to my sister. Its not because of Medicare. Apparently the doctors are too afraid of dislodging them due to where and how they are in the legs and the amount.

Kal!! I consider this "thread success". Ha! Knowledge is power; and now you have more than you had yesterday. You made my day, actually.

Something else I've learned . . . and this is a biggie!!!

I woke up Monday morning and decided to call the doctor and have her review my mom's diuretics. She's on plenty of them for her heart failure. It suddenly occurred to me that Mom's carried water weight in her legs/feet for ten years or more. Where was it? The hospital had emptied it out.

The doctor agreed to stop one powerful pill she was taking three days a week. And that was it. "The rest she needs."

Since she only took that pill three times a week (Mon/Wedn/Fri), by Wednesday, she'd been off that pill for five days, in essence.

She had continued to get weaker . . . and weaker.

On Wednesday, I made an "executive decision" to cut at least one other water pill. The nurse was due at the house that day, so I explained my thinking to her; she identified the diuretics mom was taking. (I didn't want her advice, my mind was made up.) Among still OTHER diuretics, she was taking two of the same diuretic pill every morning. I told the nurse I was cutting it to one. She said she'd have to tell the doctor. I said, "Go right ahead."

In the meantime, the nurse gave mom a thorough exam and agreed with me. My mom was severely dehydrated. She called the doctor, and after several hours, the doctor contacted her and agreed -- but wanted BOTH pills discontinued.

Two days later, Mom was a new person. Each day she eats and drinks a little more. She's laughing...interacting...can stand pretty well . . . knows where both feet are and can move them . . . OMFG. She was over-medicated to the point of collapse. Jesus.

Is she going to get well? No. She has kidney damage. But at least I'm not poisoning her with her medication any longer.

What I learned: When it comes to heart failure in particular, chemistry is everything. Finding "the balance" is difficult. And the doctor who isn't seeing the patient very often is no substitute for those interacting with the patient every day.

Trust your instincts. Question your medications. Challenge your doctor. It may save your life.

Something else I've learned . . . and this is a biggie!!!

I woke up Monday morning and decided to call the doctor and have her review my mom's diuretics. She's on plenty of them for her heart failure. It suddenly occurred to me that Mom's carried water weight in her legs/feet for ten years or more. Where was it? The hospital had emptied it out.

The doctor agreed to stop one powerful pill she was taking three days a week. And that was it. "The rest she needs."

Since she only took that pill three times a week (Mon/Wedn/Fri), by Wednesday, she'd been off that pill for five days, in essence.

She had continued to get weaker . . . and weaker.

On Wednesday, I made an "executive decision" to cut at least one other water pill. The nurse was due at the house that day, so I explained my thinking to her; she identified the diuretics mom was taking. (I didn't want her advice, my mind was made up.) Among still OTHER diuretics, she was taking two of the same diuretic pill every morning. I told the nurse I was cutting it to one. She said she'd have to tell the doctor. I said, "Go right ahead."

In the meantime, the nurse gave mom a thorough exam and agreed with me. My mom was severely dehydrated. She called the doctor, and after several hours, the doctor contacted her and agreed -- but wanted BOTH pills discontinued.

Two days later, Mom was a new person. Each day she eats and drinks a little more. She's laughing...interacting...can stand pretty well . . . knows where both feet are and can move them . . . OMFG. She was over-medicated to the point of collapse. Jesus.

Is she going to get well? No. She has kidney damage. But at least I'm not poisoning her with her medication any longer.

What I learned: When it comes to heart failure in particular, chemistry is everything. Finding "the balance" is difficult. And the doctor who isn't seeing the patient very often is no substitute for those interacting with the patient every day.

Trust your instincts. Question your medications. Challenge your doctor. It may save your life.

If I had believed my doctor, I would be dead in a wheelchair by now...

My youngest son had a lump on his leg...took him to doctors who sent him for a biopsy...I was told it was a tumour and that he would have to have his leg amputated below the knee..something told me that wasn't correct...

The lump went away in 2 weeks without any treatment and I can happily confirm he still has both legs!
I still go hot thinking about it!!

If I had believed my doctor, I would be dead in a wheelchair by now...

My youngest son had a lump on his leg...took him to doctors who sent him for a biopsy...I was told it was a tumour and that he would have to have his leg amputated below the knee..something told me that wasn't correct...

The lump went away in 2 weeks without any treatment and I can happily confirm he still has both legs!
I still go hot thinking about it!!

Jesus. That's one helluva story.

I think what I'm seeing is how important an advocate is. Someone is a patient's life that has both arms wrapped around their condition and is willing to invest time and thought into what's going on. Had I left Mom with her 86-year-old friend John? She would be dead now, I think. Or at least bed-ridden and well on the road. Even with a nurse coming twice a week.

Doctors don't have all the answers. And when a person is "good and sick," they aren't even thinking straight. They are trusting those around them that they are doing the right thing. A healthcare advocate (younger and smart and caring) is the greatest investment one can make. By investment, I mean actually naming one and giving them the power to act on one's behalf.

A healthcare advocate (younger and smart and caring) is the greatest investment one can make. By investment, I mean actually naming one and giving them the power to act on one's behalf.

Cynical old bat that I am...I would be suspicious that they weren't prescribing medicines that they had a financial interest in!!

Cynical old bat that I am...I would be suspicious that they weren't prescribing medicines that they had a financial interest in!!

I always have that in my mind in one form or another as well.

Frankly, I think doctors may get perks from the medical sales people who call on them every week. Why would a doctor begin prescribing a high-end new medication (no generic available) just because they added Tylenol to it -- so that they were patent protected for a while longer? I don't know that, but I sure do wonder about it. There should be more transparency, in my opinion.

Oh, I just thought of something else that surprised me. If a Medicare patient goes into the hospital for "something" and gets re-admitted less than thirty days later for the same thing? The hospital doesn't get paid for the second stay. THAT accounts for all the help that's readily available to seniors after discharge. It's a good thing. I'm not complaining. Just didn't know that.

I always have that in my mind in one form or another as well.

Frankly, I think doctors may get perks from the medical sales people who call on them every week. Why would a doctor begin prescribing a high-end new medication (no generic available) just because they added Tylenol to it -- so that they were patent protected for a while longer? I don't know that, but I sure do wonder about it. There should be more transparency, in my opinion.

Oh, I just thought of something else that surprised me. If a Medicare patient goes into the hospital for "something" and gets re-admitted less than thirty days later for the same thing? The hospital doesn't get paid for the second stay. THAT accounts for all the help that's readily available to seniors after discharge. It's a good thing. I'm not complaining. Just didn't know that.

We are ''lucky'' here we have a mind-bogglingly incompetent National Health system...Foreign doctors that you don't understand a word they are saying...I went last week because I had a rash..I was told by my Indian doctor that I had ''a thinning of the skin'' so in a couple of months time I should look like an anatomical teaching device!!!:lamo

This isn't depressing. It's just a fact of life. Very good to give and ask for tips in handling various situations. I learned a few things, so thanks. (although, my mom died suddenly, so we didn't have to go through a long term care situation)

Maggie.. I traveled to visit my beloved 93 year old Grandfather who was dying, but lucid.. We talked for about an hour as he was very weak..

Finally he said, 'You know I am dying'.. I said 'yes Dear, Godspeed'..

I flew out to return to my children and he passed the next morning.

My biggest fear for my parents isn't them dying, it's them being left alone to rot someplace, unloved. They live in SC, and are adamant about staying there. I live in CT, and I'm not moving back to SC. I have a family, a house, a career (ish), too much to try to uproot at this point.

READ THIS! My dad had alzheimers and we put him in a very expensive home only to discover he was being abused physically as we saw bruises on him. The response we got from the director of the facility when we asked how can this be happening here was "they (the staff) was what they could afford. The staff consisted of teenage girls. We pulled him out of there and were lucky to find a nice facility but we had to go to Florida from Arizona to do it. It is very hard to witness A loved one once so strong and capable become totally dependent on others for the smallest of things. Brace yourself for a rough one.

Things I continue to learn . . .

Mom has been off 3 of her diuretic pills for about ten days. She's lucid, conversing, stronger, etc., etc. I still think that she's over-medicated with diuretics because her legs are still paper thin. If you recall, she has always retained fluid in her feet and ankles . . . even as she felt just fine. Monday, her 'old nurse' starts back with her again. I was planning to ask her to re-evaluate mom for dehydration and take away at least a half-pill from a two-pill regime of diuretics that she's left with.

Yesterday, the substitute nurse took a blood sample. After the work-up, the doctor called and dropped a whole pill -- putting her on just one diuretic a day. I suspect one of two things will happen: Mom will have a new lease on life...or mom will spiral downwards in a slow descent.

At any rate, what this has told me (again) is that doctors don't know everything. They're managing as best they can, but the balancing act is treacherous. And without input from a care giver in close proximity to the patient? The patient can be lost in the delicate juggling act.

Had I not taken Mom home to live with me? She would be dead now. Had I not called the doctor and strongly suggested eliminating one of her diuretics? She'd be dead now. Had I not called again and asked for another decrease? She'd be dead now. That despite the fact there were nurses visiting twice a week who assumed she was dying rather than it being a medication problem.

She's still seriously ill. But she's happy, lucid, pain-free and knows where both of her feet reside. I'm most likely still going to enroll her in hospice because there are benefits to that for her that palliative care can't provide.

I'm including this update because some of you may face similar problems when a parent or spouse or friend has a health issue that's being treated chemically -- such as heart failure and diabetes. Correctly medicating these people is paramount. And even though you don't have medical knowledge? Trust your common sense.

READ THIS! My dad had alzheimers and we put him in a very expensive home only to discover he was being abused physically as we saw bruises on him. The response we got from the director of the facility when we asked how can this be happening here was "they (the staff) was what they could afford. The staff consisted of teenage girls. We pulled him out of there and were lucky to find a nice facility but we had to go to Florida from Arizona to do it. It is very hard to witness A loved one once so strong and capable become totally dependent on others for the smallest of things. Brace yourself for a rough one.

Yes..the rest homes here are commonly staffed by immigrants who can't speak English or teenage girls who could not give a crap..Abuse here is rife..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5hjHBtO-yY

Okay, so. Mom is completely lucid. She's lost 15 pounds (at least) of excess water. Her ankles swell a bit by the end of the day, but not bad -- and THAT'S because she's so inactive. By morning, they're fine again. She's eating normally. Drinking liquids normally. Carries on conversations. Yada yada yada.

She's lost so much muscle tone being inactive for two months, I doubt she'll ever be independently walking again. But who knows? (I'll be her cheerleader, but not her drill sergeant. Ha!) She says she doesn't want to work on it, so *shrug*. She gets around on her walker, but I need to be right there with her to make sure she doesn't fall.

She's off all of her diuretics except one. Note!! She was taking SIX. All because of an improper diet.

I'm in the process of setting up some private-pay companion resources, putting locks on the bedroom doors (for when strangers are alone in the house), and experimenting with ways to make my life easier as we settle in to our new routine. Also looking to install something like a nanny cam that I can access live from my cell phone so I can check on her when I'm not around for a few hours -- AND to have some control over independent caregivers alone with her.

If you have a loved one with heart failure, diet is everything and too much salt is poison. They'll begin putting on all sorts of water weight . . . acting crazy because their blood chemistry is whacked . . . be dizzy . . . uncommunicative. You may just think they're getting senile. While they may be? Chances are good their meds are making those symptoms MUCH worse. Don't believe them when they're telling you they're eating right. They're not. 'Cause, if they're living alone? Chances are they're not cooking. And if they aren't cooking fresh? They're eating WAAAAY too much salt.

Another thing to watch out for is Urinary Tract Infections. Given their problems with maintaining water, they are vulnerable to UTI's. Also, if their mental state is not all there, they may have difficulty cleaning themselves after going to the bathroom which can also cause a UTI.

With my mom, when she got a UTI they seemed to really mess up her thinking and worsened her dementia. her mind would clear up a lot once they were treated, but I don't know if the same thing happens to non-demented seniors with UTI's.

Another thing to watch out for is Urinary Tract Infections. Given their problems with maintaining water, they are vulnerable to UTI's. Also, if their mental state is not all there, they may have difficulty cleaning themselves after going to the bathroom which can also cause a UTI.

With my mom, when she got a UTI they seemed to really mess up her thinking and worsened her dementia. her mind would clear up a lot once they were treated, but I don't know if the same thing happens to non-demented seniors with UTI's.

You are so RIGHT. When her blood chemistry was so whacked -- and I hadn't yet figured out she was taking too many water pills -- we were about to put her into hospice; and the nurse said, "Before we do that, let's check for a UTI." And said it would act exactly as you describe. (She didn't have one . . . but right about the same time I stopped two of the diuretics.)

It's amazing what we don't know about the human body...

Well, I learned that companion caregivers are a good thing.

Yesterday, Tommy and I went to a surprise birthday party for his daughter. We knew we'd be gone for five or six hours, so I interviewed a couple of care-giving services for her. We settled on one that didn't use all-Filipino help. They do background checks, fingerprint, are bonded, insured, etc., etc.

We decided to put locks on two of the bedroom doors so we'd be comfortable with our private papers, my jewelry, guns, etc. being at home with strangers unsupervised. (Should have done that a long time ago...it will come in handy.) We locked the pets up in one of the bedrooms and gave mom a key. She loved that we trusted her with it . . . and told her she was in charge of making sure Josh, Shorty and Bob-Bob got out of the house in case something "catastrophic" happened.

I fed her a big meal at 2 PM and then asked the caregiver to serve her a light supper I'd set up in the fridge.

It worked out GREAT. We had a fun time . . . I didn't worry about mom being alone . . . and she had a nice time with someone different who engaged her in conversation and made sure she was safe.

It cost $22 an hour. I'll be using them again. It worked perfectly.

I think some people have a problem with spending money in this way -- and with having strangers in the house. I think they make their lives harder than they have to be when they don't come to terms with the importance (and worth) of services like this. I think of it this way: Mom saved all of her life for a rainy day. She was a terrific! saver. Well, mom, it's POURING outside."

My mom has passed. My Dad is retired in Florida. They seem to have a very good senior care system there, my Dad has access to many free or very low cost services. Even with some medical problems he lives in his condo with health care visiting him.

My grandmother went into a home here in Oklahoma and it was pretty grim. I'd say the help you and your elder loved one receives can depend a great deal on which state you live in. I don't think I'd recommend Oklahoma.

Another thing I've learned: don't be too quick to declare nursing home abuse.

This morning, very routine with mom, I was helping her out of bed. Instead of bending at the waist to sit up first, she didn't bend at the waist. I was pulling on her to help her sit up, and because she wasn't bending, she was scooting ever-closer to the bed edge. I stopped and tried to help her sit up, her butt went too close to the edge, and I ended up easing her down to the floor.

Okay. No harm done, right? Wrong. Apparently, unknown to both of us, she bumped her shin on her walker on the way to her gentle down. By the time Tom and I got her up and situated in her chair in the living room, there was a fair bump and beginnings of a bruise. I didn't pay much more attention to it.

An hour later, the fair-sized bump had become the size of an orange. Jesus. And she was in excruciating pain. Called the paramedics and took her to the hospital. That orange-sized bump goes around her shin. It's the ugliest thing I ever saw. Just got home. They x-rayed for a broken bone. No. Recommending elevating her leg and ice packs for two-three days while watching for some serious complications.

Had my mom been in a nursing home and I saw that when I came in? I can assure you I never would have believed my story. I'd have thought they hit her with a baseball bat. Or let her stumble into a metal bed frame.

So. If you have seniors in nursing homes? Cut them a little slack. People in their 80's don't "injure" the same way we do. What is a minor bump can easily become catastrophe.

Things I continue to learn . . .

Mom has been off 3 of her diuretic pills for about ten days. She's lucid, conversing, stronger, etc., etc. I still think that she's over-medicated with diuretics because her legs are still paper thin. If you recall, she has always retained fluid in her feet and ankles . . . even as she felt just fine. Monday, her 'old nurse' starts back with her again. I was planning to ask her to re-evaluate mom for dehydration and take away at least a half-pill from a two-pill regime of diuretics that she's left with.

Yesterday, the substitute nurse took a blood sample. After the work-up, the doctor called and dropped a whole pill -- putting her on just one diuretic a day. I suspect one of two things will happen: Mom will have a new lease on life...or mom will spiral downwards in a slow descent.

At any rate, what this has told me (again) is that doctors don't know everything. They're managing as best they can, but the balancing act is treacherous. And without input from a care giver in close proximity to the patient? The patient can be lost in the delicate juggling act.

Had I not taken Mom home to live with me? She would be dead now. Had I not called the doctor and strongly suggested eliminating one of her diuretics? She'd be dead now. Had I not called again and asked for another decrease? She'd be dead now. That despite the fact there were nurses visiting twice a week who assumed she was dying rather than it being a medication problem.

She's still seriously ill. But she's happy, lucid, pain-free and knows where both of her feet reside. I'm most likely still going to enroll her in hospice because there are benefits to that for her that palliative care can't provide.

I'm including this update because some of you may face similar problems when a parent or spouse or friend has a health issue that's being treated chemically -- such as heart failure and diabetes. Correctly medicating these people is paramount. And even though you don't have medical knowledge? Trust your common sense.

You often express concerns for your mother, including significant emphasis on the quality of her life. She's lucky to have a daughter like you!

Back
Top Bottom