• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

They Are At It Again Philly and CNN Won't Show it

OP is lying. (Which is par for a thread claiming that left-lean media isn't reporting something)

(CNN)Philadelphia police shot and killed a Black man who waved a knife while standing on a street, plunging the city into protests that injured 30 officers as the police commissioner acknowledged the encounter "raises many questions." Drawing fresh national attention to fatal use of force by police, the incident also renews the spotlight on the swing state of Pennsylvania just a week before the presidential election. The man killed in West Philadelphia was Walter Wallace, according to a statement from Mayor Jim Kenney. Swift demonstrations following his death ended with the police injuries, businesses looted and 10 people arrested, police said.
Anger over the incident led to violence overnight, and Philadelphia police said at least 30 officers were injured during protests, according to a police press release obtained by CNN affiliate WPVI. Most of the injured officers were hit by projectiles, but at least one "was struck by a pickup truck - she sustained a broken leg and various other injuries," police said, according to WPVI. That officer was taken to a hospital. The other 29 injured officers were treated and released. In addition, five police vehicles were vandalized, and multiple businesses were looted across the city, the police said. At least 10 people were arrested.

Can you find in their report where the black man was attacking them with a knife? I may have missed it.

I'm sorry but one shot to a kneecap would have brought him down. Don't police learn to disable a threat like that? Not shoot 10 bullets in his chest? It makes the police look weak and terrified.

No they don’t learn to shoot people in the kneecap as that is extremely stupid.

But thank you for showing you have no idea what you are talking about.

Eh? I wasn't responding to how it went down. I was only focused on the OP's claim that CNN wasn't reporting on the unrest/etc that followed. It seems like every single time I see a thread complaining that "the media" (meaning left-lean media) or a particular left-lean source is not reporting on something, a thirty second search turns up their reports on it.
I was correcting the CNN reporting with the video and a NYT article.

He sure is facing charges. So much for your systemic racism horseshit. Huh?
So much for your theory he was protecting himself. He came from out of state with a firearm for what reason? To help the police? He's charged with murder because that's what he committed. Feel free to tell yourself whatever version you wish.

30 officers injured. Including one hit by a truck. What in the world!?

I'll bet you wouldn't feel that way after sitting in the pen for twenty years.
Are you arguing that it's better to shoot people than to jail them?

I'm sorry but one shot to a kneecap would have brought him down. Don't police learn to disable a threat like that? Not shoot 10 bullets in his chest? It makes the police look weak and terrified.

Unless he missed and the stray bullet killed a bystander. Aiming for a leg is a far more difficult shot than aiming center mass.

There are lots of schools of thought out there about taking out a threat. Most of them teach "shoot till you're empty".

I'll bet you wouldn't feel that way after sitting in the pen for twenty years.

Beats being dead. Being dead is for a lot more than 20 years...LMAO!

Beats being dead. Being dead is for a lot more than 20 years...LMAO!
If I had a choice between lethal injection and twenty years, give me the injection. You obviously have no idea about what it's like to be in prison.

So much for your theory he was protecting himself. He came from out of state with a firearm for what reason? To help the police? He's charged with murder because that's what he committed. Feel free to tell yourself whatever version you wish.

He didn't bring the firearm with him. It was given to him when he got there, for self defense. Good thing he had it. Huh?

Unless he missed and the stray bullet killed a bystander. Aiming for a leg is a far more difficult shot than aiming center mass.

There are lots of schools of thought out there about taking out a threat. Most of them teach "shoot till you're empty".

What if he was "threatening" them with a slingshot? Still shoot to kill? Police should be able to distinguish between different threats and deal with them responsibly. Shooting a man in the leg at 10 yards should be easy enough for a trained officer. They panicked and looked weak to me.

Are you implying that it’s better to be dead than to serve jail/prison time?
For me personally at this point in my life, yes. And it's not just jail/prison, it's for twenty years which most americans have no idea how long that is to be locked away and treated like a piece of shit.

For me personally at this point in my life, yes. And it's not just jail/prison, it's for twenty years which most americans have no idea how long that is to be locked away and treated like a piece of shit.

That seems a lot like saying that this guy simply wanted to be killed by police to avoid being arrested and tried for his (alleged) crime.

They are burning and clowns are loading carts stealing again. Why does CNN ony mention it and not show the police assaults and hundreds of looting clowns?
I read the article on it in CNN...seemed pretty significant coverage to me.

So ????

Video of the fatal confrontation recorded by a bystander and posted on social media shows officers pointing their guns at a man as he walked in the street and around a car. The man walks toward the officers as they backed away from him in the street, guns still aimed at him.

"Put the knife down, put the knife down," one officer can be heard saying.

Both then fired several shots at the man, and he collapsed in the street. A woman ran up to the victim and began screaming. Several bystanders then walked up to the man who was shot.

It is unclear in the video if the man had a knife. Witnesses said he was holding one.

Fraternal Order of Police Lodge #5 President John McNesby expressed his support for the officers involved.

"Our police officers are being vilified this evening for doing their job and keeping the community safe, after being confronted by a man with a knife. We support and defend these officers, as they too are traumatized by being involved in a fatal shooting. We ask the public for its patience as investigators work to gather all the facts of this tragic incident in West Philadelphia today," McNesby said.

That seems a lot like saying that this guy simply wanted to be killed by police to avoid being arrested and tried for his (alleged) crime.
He was mentally ill.

And altho they havent released video yet, it's very possible the cops felt his lethal threat was real. They also didnt have tasers.

See? I got plenty of info from the 'not much coverage' in the CNN article! 😁

Take it as you wish but those words are yours.

Back
Top Bottom