• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Theresa May to face vote of no confidence today!

Like the Americans the Brits are all out of ****ing Around Time.

Like the Americans they have no clue.

History will not be kind to David Cameron. He will be remembered as the British Prime Minister who made the worst move of any Prime Minister in the 21st Century.

Scotland won’t get a sniff of a vote until this is all over.

the vote will be around the end of march to june

The SNP exists to poke England in the eye at every opportunity and to create such opportunities where otherwise lacking. If they spent as much time doing things in the interests of Scots as they do embarrassing themselves in parliament and opposing anything and everything for no reason other than the English want it then they might deserve to be taken seriously. As it is, they’re just the comedic relief of the UK.

As for mass riots...Nigel Farage would undoubtedly rabble rouse but I don’t see mass riots happening. Only 1/3rd of the UK actually voted in favor of Brexit to begin with and there’s a lot of buyers remorse out there.

our beef is not with England but the British establishment ... we want to make all decisions regarding Scotland to be made in Scotland within the EU we will control 97% of our powers/laws and have our own voice in the EU and the UN among other global organisations... within the UK is 30% and we have no global voice .... we are culturally different from the rest of the UK ..... London seems to think it speaks for us when it doesn't unlike England and Wales we voted to remain in the EU and this is where Scotland's future lies

and as for riots in England ... come on we have seen it numerous times Riots in England

History will not be kind to David Cameron. He will be remembered as the British Prime Minister who made the worst move of any Prime Minister in the 21st Century.

Seems to me he didnt have much of a choice. If he didnt call for a referendum he might have been ousted.

our beef is not with England but the British establishment ... we want to make all decisions regarding Scotland to be made in Scotland within the EU we will control 97% of our powers/laws and have our own voice in the EU and the UN among other global organisations... within the UK is 30% and we have no global voice .... we are culturally different from the rest of the UK ..... London seems to think it speaks for us when it doesn't unlike England and Wales we voted to remain in the EU and this is where Scotland's future lies

and as for riots in England ... come on we have seen it numerous times Riots in England

Scotland has a couple of blowhards with delusions of being the next William Wallace but that’s about it. Scotland will not be grandfathered into the EU if it leaves the UK so all of this blustering over independence because of Brexit is counterintuitive. Admittance would take years even if the other member states set aside their qualms about rewarding that kind of separatism and allow it. In the interim, Scotland would be flapping in the wind with no trade agreements, no economic rights, no freedom of movement, no economy, etc. The problem with the independence rabble rousers is as it always was - they have no plan for what happens after.

Last edited:
Seems to me he didnt have much of a choice. If he didnt call for a referendum he might have been ousted.

No. The only people wanting a referendum were a tiny but vocal minority. He decided to hold a referendum because he thought he would win and that it would shut them up. He screwed up big time, then walked away humming the theme tune to West Wing, for someone else to pick up the mess. Now the country is divided and angry, and the economy is going to be hit. The worst PM in a century.

Yeh so that’s a third of her party who won’t back her

Not quite.

That's a third of her MPs that do not back her leadership with respect to a single issue. That does NOT mean that they will vote - IN PARLIAMENT - in opposition to her policies on other issues (or even on this one).

and she only won parliament after gaining the DUPs support.

Quite right, and if the Democratic Union Party MPs had split 7 - 3 she wouldn't even have done that.

If the UK system was like the US system, there would have been three incredibly rich electoral districts and Ms. May wouldn't have been PM.

She’s dead in the water.

Potentially. But, unless the DUP wants to see a new election (or, alternatively a Labour government) she's completely safe from challenge for the next year.

BTW, you do realize that, if the Conservatives had voted "No Confidence" in Ms. May that wouldn't have made any change at all to the number of seats the various parties held in the House of Commons, nor would it have required that new elections be held, nor would it have created a "constitutional crisis" - don't you? What it would have resulted in would have been for that he Conservative MPs would have elected a new leader and that that person would have become the Prime Minister. Ms. May wouldn't even have lost her seat in the House of Commons.

Want to start a riot in Scotland?

• Let Manchester beat Glasgow in a home game.

Want to start a riot in Paris?

• Let Manchester beat Glasgow in an European Cup match held in Paris; or (if you don't like that)
  • let Glasgow beat Manchester in an European Cup match held in Paris.

Last edited:
Not quite.

That's a third of her MPs that do not back her leadership with respect to a single issue. That does NOT mean that they will vote - IN PARLIAMENT - in opposition to her policies on other issues (or even on this one).

Quite right, and if the Democratic Union Party MPs had split 7 - 3 she wouldn't even have done that.

If the UK system was like the US system, there would have been three incredibly rich electoral districts and Ms. May wouldn't have been PM.

Potentially. But, unless the DUP wants to see a new election (or, alternatively a Labour government) she's completely safe from challenge for the next year.

BTW, you do realize that, if the Conservatives had voted "No Confidence" in Ms. May that wouldn't have made any change at all to the number of seats the various parties held in the House of Commons, nor would it have required that new elections be held, nor would it have created a "constitutional crisis" - don't you? What it would have resulted in would have been for that he Conservative MPs would have elected a new leader and that that person would have become the Prime Minister. Ms. May wouldn't even have lost her seat in the House of Commons.

Yes I’m aware of that however it would have weakened our position even further with Europe and the chances of brexit happening with an unelected PM would have been minimal.

Yes I’m aware of that however it would have weakened our position even further with Europe and the chances of brexit happening with an unelected PM would have been minimal.

There would NOT have been an "unelected PM" since only elected members of the House of Commons are (traditionally) eligible for that position.

Admittedly, Her Majesty Elizabeth I of Canada COULD have named me to be her Prime Minister as there is absolutely no LAW prohibiting it AND the naming of the Monarch's Prime Minister is still one of those "Royal Prerogatives" that the crown has retained in the face of the jabbering agitations of the mob.

PS - I wouldn't take the job on a bet.

There would NOT have been an "unelected PM" since only elected members of the House of Commons are (traditionally) eligible for that position.

Admittedly, Her Majesty Elizabeth I of Canada COULD have named me to be her Prime Minister as there is absolutely no LAW prohibiting it AND the naming of the Monarch's Prime Minister is still one of those "Royal Prerogatives" that the crown has retained in the face of the jabbering agitations of the mob.

PS - I wouldn't take the job on a bet.

In the eyes of the opposition, Europe and the people he/she would be "unelected. That's essentially why May forced a snap election a couple of years back because she knew she would need to win a general election before the negotiations for brexit started

Want to start a riot in Scotland?

• Let Manchester beat Glasgow in a home game.

Want to start a riot in Paris?

• Let Manchester beat Glasgow in an European Cup match held in Paris; or (if you don't like that)
  • let Glasgow beat Manchester in an European Cup match held in Paris.

we don't do riots in Scotland

The reality is Westminster is in utter chaos, you have a Prime Minister who doesn't listen to differing opinions to her own, ignored the devolved governments after she found out they did not agree with her, she is single mindedly, she doesn't listen .. it's her way or no way ... the truth is no one wants her job including Corbyn as they don't want to be known as the PM that exited the EU ... in short Labour and Tories are a utter disgrace, Teresa May is a dictator and Jeremy Corbyn is a coward

Scotland has a couple of blowhards with delusions of being the next William Wallace but that’s about it. Scotland will not be grandfathered into the EU if it leaves the UK so all of this blustering over independence because of Brexit is counterintuitive. Admittance would take years even if the other member states set aside their qualms about rewarding that kind of separatism and allow it. In the interim, Scotland would be flapping in the wind with no trade agreements, no economic rights, no freedom of movement, no economy, etc. The problem with the independence rabble rousers is as it always was - they have no plan for what happens after.

both the Spanish and the Germans say it will be fast tracked as we already meet EU standards 100% ... Tusk, Versthadt, and Junker say the same

UK showed it's true colours when it comes to the Scottish parliament by changing the law in the house of lords when it took Holyrood's brexit bill in court ... you wonder why the Scots want out the UK and why we say the UK is finished

Last edited:
Boris wouldn't touch that toxic job if they begged him. Easier to sit on the sidelines and spout unrealistic BS.

I think the UK's least distasteful option is to take a mulligan and schedule another referendum (Hard, Soft, No) complete with the a dummies guide to Brexit. If the Brits still vote for Leave, well good on 'em, and they can say goodbye to Scotland and Northern Ireland as well.

I'm not a May fan, she wanted to be PM and she got the prize, but she can hardly be faulted alone for what was always going to be a sh*tshow.

What is the point of referendums if the government can just hold new votes until they get what they want?

No, has nothing to do with this. And this globalism bs has to stop... and when will people starting calling it for what it is when someone claims "globalsim".

Any time I hear someone use "globalism" as a blanket slur, I know that their opinion is not to be trusted. This day and age, no developed society can live in isolation.

What is the point of referendums if the government can just hold new votes until they get what they want?

I agree with your point. But I also think that the British people made a choice without being presented the real consequences of Leave and they certainly didn't vote on what the details of the divorce would look like. Amputation is preferable to gangrene.(usually)

I agree with your point. But I also think that the British people made a choice without being presented the real consequences of Leave and they certainly didn't vote on what the details of the divorce would look like. Amputation is preferable to gangrene.(usually)

Britain is not 1 country it's made up of 4 countries ... England being the most populated ... both Scotland and N Ireland voted to remain in the EU meanwhile England and Wales voted to leave the EU ... and since England is more heavily populated than the other 3 countries by 5 to 1 .... the English tend to decide what happens to the rest of the UK .... well it ain't gonna happen this time ... we are going to take our destiny into our own hands and leave the rest of the UK behind

Britain is not 1 country it's made up of 4 countries ... England being the most populated ... both Scotland and N Ireland voted to remain in the EU meanwhile England and Wales voted to leave the EU ... and since England is more heavily populated than the other 3 countries by 5 to 1 .... the English tend to decide what happens to the rest of the UK .... well it ain't gonna happen this time ... we are going to take our destiny into our own hands and leave the rest of the UK behind

Godspeed on the journey!

This excuse is almost more ominous that the first excuse. If your assumption is that votes that don't go your way only need reeducation and a new vote then your democratic system has slipped the rails.

This excuse is almost more ominous that the first excuse. If your assumption is that votes that don't go your way only need reeducation and a new vote then your democratic system has slipped the rails.

Then shouldn't the people get to vote on the details of the divorce?

Then shouldn't the people get to vote on the details of the divorce?

There was only one detail worth mentioning: The exit from the EU.

Again, if you contend that the vote must continually be re-voted until people vote the way you want then just do away with the vote all together, it has lost all meaning.

There was only one detail worth mentioning: The exit from the EU.

Again, if you contend that the vote must continually be re-voted until people vote the way you want then just do away with the vote all together, it has lost all meaning.

You can make your point without misrepresenting what I said. I never indicated that I supported voting "continually" until a desired outcome is achieved.

I would like to see those who championed Brexit in Brussels negotiating the details. May was a fool to put herself in this position.

In the eyes of the opposition, Europe and the people he/she would be "unelected. That's essentially why May forced a snap election a couple of years back because she knew she would need to win a general election before the negotiations for brexit started

You are applying "The American Standard" to something that is NOT "American Standard" political processes.

It may come as a surprise to you, but MOST of the European countries have a political system that provides for the replacement of the Prime Minister and/or President WITHOUT the necessity for an election.

To European eyes, Ms. May's PARTY was elected to govern and it was Ms. May's PARTY that chose Ms. May to lead that party - a decision of the PARTY that the PARTY could rescind at any time without any necessity for an election and without lessening the authority of the next person that the PARTY chose to lead it.

If you don't understand the political structure and/or political history of the country that you live in, then the productive course of action that are open to you are to either learn about them or move to a country that has a political system/history that you do understand.

PS - It's good to see that you are a survivor of what we (in less inflationary times) used to call the $5,000 cure (which involved British immigrants - after years of whining about how good everything was back in "The Old Country", selling everything, packing up, moving back to the UK, and then returning to Canada only around $5,000 poorer for the treatment. When I see someone who has spent two years studying at a university in the UK coming home and comparing a steakhouse sirloin to the "joint" that used to have to do him and his wife for two days and when I have a friend who worked as a linesman for the post office come home and admit that, the only way that they could afford to eat in the same style as they had in Canada was to go "grocery shopping" one week and "grocery shoplifting" the next week, I tend to take statements about how good things are back in "The Old Country" with a dash of salt.

we don't do riots in Scotland

True, I believe that the Gaelic term is "beagan a 'bualadh suas"

The reality is Westminster is in utter chaos, you have a Prime Minister who doesn't listen to differing opinions to her own, ignored the devolved governments after she found out they did not agree with her, she is single mindedly, she doesn't listen .. it's her way or no way ... the truth is no one wants her job including Corbyn as they don't want to be known as the PM that exited the EU ... in short Labour and Tories are a utter disgrace, Teresa May is a dictator and Jeremy Corbyn is a coward

Would you trade them for Mr. Trump and "Team Trump"?

Back
Top Bottom