• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

theism,agnosticism, atheism, morality

Oh okay. So how do you rank/measure empathy or the lack there of?
Psychological testing. (also neural activity can be seen with an fMRI.)

Yes. And I choose him as an example exactly because his politics would likely conflict with most religious skeptics in this thread. He spends most of his work on morality not politics.

Exploring opposites to my belief morality requires a moral education.

Work? He's an uneducated white supremacist conspiracy nutter ranting on Youtube. The stupid person's idea of a smart person.

Psychological testing. (also neural activity can be seen with an fMRI.)

Work? He's an uneducated white supremacist conspiracy nutter ranting on Youtube. The stupid person's idea of a smart person.

work = con-job

From watching nutter ranting and raving YouTubers apparently.
I never suggested I agree with his moral philosophy and I don’t but he is an atheist who attempts to do that.

I never suggested I agree with his moral philosophy and I don’t but he is an atheist who attempts to do that.

So where do you get your moral compass? What source (s) ?

So where do you get your moral compass? What source (s) ?
Unfortunately I have limited time due to holidays but my plan is to write a post related to the original topic that will outline that. I am exploring the opposing viewpoint first. My first post though may give you a clue.

Morality and religion are not related. That is just another modern misconception.
And you would be wrong. With the moral compass provided by some belief, man would be adrift, without ANYTHING on which to base his actions.

Unfortunately I have limited time due to holidays but my plan is to write a post related to the original topic that will outline that. I am exploring the opposing viewpoint first. My first post though may give you a clue.

I'm about to sign off too...About 40 folks close to arriving for Christmas Eve festivities...I'll have to revisit your first post later.

Sheesh, if you want to choose an atheist to talk about morality, at least pick an educated rational one. But is he actually an atheist anyway?

Here's one of his nonsense rants about 'lefties' and 'atheists'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqQdc0mX1_c

Last edited:
I'm about to sign off too...About 40 folks close to arriving for Christmas Eve festivities...I'll have to revisit your first post later.

Happy festivities!

Sheesh, if you want to choose an atheist to talk about morality, at least pick an educated one.
Happily. What atheist ethics teacher(you do not need to agree with) would you highlight?

I think so, although it is clear that is not shared by many posters here including yourself.
Hopefully you are not refering to the bible. That book can and has been used to give some the belief that it is moral to kill others.
I do not see this happening in secular communities. For the most part I see morality issues left to the individual, which I for one think can be very damaging to children. Now that is certainly not universally true. For example I know Stefan Molyneux, is both an atheist and spends a lot of time and effort in the area of morality. One could even say, for better or worse, he dedicated his life to it.

And if you look you will not see oit happening any better in religious communities.

I disagree. Those “badly written full of contradictions” stories have generations and generations of what the Jews call ‘oral Torah’ behind them. Moral commentaries and ideas from elders stretching back an estimated 6000 years or more.

There are quite a few ridiculous ones such as certain eating bans that no longer count. there are a few morals that are not of their invention but borrowed and used long before they came into existence. You are being a theif if you try to make the claim the biblke invented these moralities.

Empathy is tied to the personality trait of agreeableness. Do you then suppose highly agreeable people are more moral? Or average women more moral than average man?

Empathy and altruism are traits that allow us to form ideas about morality.

But do you need a moral society in which to in act and have faith in them? Afghanistan for example. Could you act your moral truth you hold here - there? I have my doubts. Do you know much about the craziness plaguing Afghanistan? Rape so common you may witness it in the streets. Child rape even. By officials.

Afghanistan is also a a very religious country and these acts of rape are taken as a god given right. Some christians read into the bible that beating a child with a stick will instill discipline rather than it is nothing more than sadistic nonsense.

Religion does nothing more than give a person license to do what ever harm they please and claim god bids them to do it and that makes it moral.

Disclaimer: the following post is emotionally changed and impolite. If you do not want to deal with being called morally suspect. Stop here. There nothing you can get from what follows. To the question of “who am I to judge?” The answer is no-one special. Your life is your own, but I also think there is something more to this original question worth arguing about and worth saying imperfectly.

Are there any theists here who believe religious skeptics ( agnostics,atheists ) are inherently less moral than theists simply because they question and/or reject all God claims. If YES, on what basis do theists give themselves the higher moral ground ?
My direct answer is in post #18, but I think based on some other replies it is worth exploring a more controversial but related question:Are the Atheists posting here inherently less moral than the Theists posting here by way of them rejecting all claims of god?

I would say based on the sentiments expressed in the replies, yes you seem less moral. Don’t get me wrong, I am sure you're all nice intelligent people, but by expressing such ignorance to the role religion plays in one persons moral development you reveal your own introspective deficits and indirectly display amoral tendencies.

Before going on, I must highlight I am choosing to show respect that atheists do not believe there is proof nor faith of the supernatural/eternal/heavenly. For this reason I will be careful to explain my reasoning absent any assumption of this being required.

Second, as I say in my disclaimer. I am no one special. We do not know the absolute moral standard. To determine what is more or less moral from our current position of relative comparison is difficult and can only be determined by principles and patterns. It is imperfect. This is speculative.

One problem with a view that assumes inherent mortality is it ignores we do not live in isolation of our environment. Society has its own moral calibrations. Are our laws just? Do we isolate amoral people? Do we ignore our less fortunate? Does our majority value morally?

America is far from perfect but in comparison to rest of the world and history our society as a whole is obviously quite moral. So if ignoring levels of amorality to the point of the satanic, someone of a relatively low moral character here likely still seem quite behaved by comparison to one who is more developed but who participates norms in their less moral foreign societies or at historic times.

For this reason I think it is only fair to judge the merit of ones true moral character relative to the general society of which they are apart. To be morally courageous and grounded in Afghanistan, India, Libya, China, Congo or Historic may seem radical different from those same characteristics manifest in The U.S. or Belgium. Moral behaviour = society moral development plus personal moral development.

Due to this principle I also think it is not fair to judge an individual on their relative moral behaviour at all. Only personal moral development is in their control. It is the only measure of any merit.

You'll notice people bring up to these sorts of characteristics in these conversations: empathy, compassion, sensitivity, kindness & politeness which are no doubt some of the worst ways to measure this internal morality having more to do with personality or circumstance. How easy it is to be polite when you're not fighting the majority opinion or were born that way by temperament.

No, the types of characteristics that universally represent moral character[in relation to ones societal norm] are things like delayed gratification, uncomfortable honesty, grit, optimistic mindset, pro-social relationships or problem solving ability. Learned proven pro-social traits.

part 2:

Now, religion always includes this training by nature of it structure. You can only grow the individual above the mean by making them accountable to objective truth(e.g. God) rather than simply their society's laws and customs. Religion in this way though also has the potential to do the opposite and regress one from the norm.

When certain atheists insult things like the bible/torah because they contain stories of immoral actions: genocide, animal sacrifice or stoning a man for collecting sticks is to lose sight of why people use stories that date back to the times of Summer, Egypt and Ancient Israel when that well might have been moral[relative to the times]. There remains with those stories an extensive oral torah/commentaries extracted from those stories tapping into a collective wisdom of generations. Those not the books are what churches, synagogues and temples are all about.

Sam Harris rightful points out, one can do the same process with more modern stories. He is not wrong although some stories are better than others[depending on their archetypes], yet to engage in such exercises [which is just ignored] is dropping centuries of wisdom contained in the oral traditions. The very traditions and rituals which transform them from mere stories to moral guilds[holy books].

Now we know generally speaking less moral societies are often more religious wouldn't that indicate our secularism is apart of our own societies success and thus can be applied to the individual?

On the contrary. One has to assume, despite the huge moral differences between societies. We humans do have an inherit moral desire and that is universal regardless of time or place. It would then stand to reason that when society most conflicts with our "inherit moral desire" is when we most gravitate to moral guidance that calls to a source outside our society[e.g. church] like sick people to a hospital. Now if that moral hospital is corrupt the results of course can be catastrophic. This also applies to the other observation, where powerful peopel in amoral societies must use religion to justify their claim.

This again leads back to why we should not be dismiss the process when religious people are brought to evil actions by their faith. The fact they seek a higher moral truth to their society and do worse is expected and more and more likely the less moral the society at large. Religions must be more moral than the society to which they operate to offer any moral guidance [definitely not always true]. If you have a moral atheist alternative [e.g. self help/psychology] - wonderful, and this likely does not apply!

So again, behaviourally the people here are all likely in the top 20% of the world. The top 1% of all-time. Relative to the mean of the society I bet though the learned pro-social characteristics of Atheists here is lower than Theists and their net moral contribution to the society is negative.

One of the biggest reasons the tendency to replace the abstraction of a higher moral truth(god) with state of society relative to our own opinion - enter political ideology. Religion as politics such as Islam and Confucianism is almost always a failed experiment. Pseudo-Religion works no differently. When environmentalism stops being about reducing one own impact or for example getting your community off coal but the country/world. That is where the amorality as dangerous beliefs can turn from a internal moral failings into real-world immoral behaviours.

Here are some statements that lead me to believe, resentment [it own personal hell] is common amongst those Atheists posting, which I draw from to think that demonstrates an underlaying amorality compared to the mean.

"They can't imagine a world without a deity"

"Even managed to get booted from my own confirmation for refusing to give 'rubber stamped' catechism responses to the church elders and pastor. Mom just about fell out of her chair! :)"

"The christian religion is nothing more than an attempt to control people through the use of moral junctions. And that there are other religions does not change anything. Religion is all about control by proclaiming religion to be a moral guidance."

"From watching nutter ranting and raving YouTubers apparently."

If you can't see how those are just a society norm away from immoral actions, then I don't think you're watching the patterns and the principles operating in this world.

Last edited:
Are there any theists here who believe religious skeptics ( agnostics,atheists ) are inherently less moral than theists simply because they question and/or reject all God claims. If YES, on what basis do theists give themselves the higher moral ground ?

I'm a theist who thinks that atheists and agnostics can be quite moral people.

Disclaimer: the following post is emotionally changed and impolite. If you do not want to deal with being called morally suspect. Stop here. There nothing you can get from what follows. To the question of “who am I to judge?” The answer is no-one special. Your life is your own, but I also think there is something more to this original question worth arguing about and worth saying imperfectly.

There are a few points you have completely wrong. let's start with
You'll notice people bring up to these sorts of characteristics in these conversations: empathy, compassion, sensitivity, kindness & politeness which are no doubt some of the worst ways to measure this internal morality having more to do with personality or circumstance. How easy it is to be polite when you're not fighting the majority opinion or were born that way by temperament.

The word in bold is apart from the rest. Empathy along with altruism are not emotions like the rest. They are a product of a brain developed to be social with is own species. They are the cause our ability to manifest the other emotions you mentioned. Without morality would not exist. The theists would pretend that a god is the cause. But this god thing is really nothing more than an attempt to force particular moral codes and nothing more.

Now, religion always includes this training by nature of it structure. You can only grow the individual above the mean by making them accountable to objective truth(e.g. God) rather than simply their society's laws and customs. Religion in this way though also has the potential to do the opposite and regress one from the norm.

You contradict yourself. By saying america is more moral than third world countries yet those third world countries are far more under the influence of religion than america is.
You contradict yourself. By saying
Now we know generally speaking less moral societies are often more religious
while also saying
Now, religion always includes this training by nature of it structure. You can only grow the individual above the mean by making them accountable to objective truth(e.g. God)

When certain atheists insult things like the bible/torah because they contain stories of immoral actions:

No again, you do like to misrepresent .

It is not the bible i detest it is the theists demanding it is a book that tells us about true things that have happened when it is quite obvious that they are just fairy tales.

Relative to the mean of the society I bet though the learned pro-social characteristics of Atheists here is lower than Theists and their net moral contribution to the society is negative.

Or in other words you have nothing but a bias to back this.

Here are some statements that lead me to believe, resentment [it own personal hell] is common amongst those Atheists posting,

This one is the one that amuses me the most. Not one of those statements can you demonstrate as false. At best all you have done is shown that you resent them. How laughable.

No. Morality is not the exclusive domain of Christianity, by definition. There are all kinds of possible moralities.

mo·ral·i·ty
/məˈralədē/Submit
noun
principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behavior.
synonyms: ethics, rights and wrongs, ethicality More
a particular system of values and principles of conduct, especially one held by a specified person or society.

I know many agnostics and atheists who have demonstrated moral integrity as much as anybody. And I, a Christian, do not put myself on a higher moral plane than them. But what most Americans consider moral comes from essentially Christian teachings.

It would not be moral for an American--evolved from Christian traditions of conduct--to refuse to throw a drowning man a rope. A Hindu might consider doing so the immoral choice because it could be interferring with the man's karma.

Americans--evolved from Christian traditions of conduct--consider it immoral to torment, bully, torture others. But many cultures, including many American Indian tribes yet unaffected by European influence, had no such moral convictions. The Roman Empire was a pretty savage place in pre-Christian times. Even the earlier Christians--those very few capable of carrying out the Inquisition, the Crusades, the Salem witch burnings, etc.--retained some of that savagery, but overall Christianity has had a tempering affect on humankind, even among those who are not believers.

Thus we all more compassionate, perhaps somewhat more tolerant, and share common moral beliefs that it is wrong to murder, to steal, to bear false witness, to be cruel, etc. All that stems directly from Christian influences on our culture.

But being a believer in religion helps but is not essential to morality. The culture a person is born into--family, extended family, community, national--is the determining factor of what is and what is not seen as moral.

Americans--evolved from Christian traditions of conduct--consider it immoral to torment, bully, torture others. But many cultures, including many American Indian tribes yet unaffected by European influence, had no such moral convictions. The Roman Empire was a pretty savage place in pre-Christian times. Even the earlier Christians--those very few capable of carrying out the Inquisition, the Crusades, the Salem witch burnings, etc.--retained some of that savagery, but overall Christianity has had a tempering affect on humankind, even among those who are not believers.

Ridiculous. As you admit, Christians loved to torture as much as anyone else. Not wanting to torture has absolutely nothing to do with Christianity. Probably is related to humanism, and the philosophical ideas leading to the founding of the USA.

There are some humanistic ideas in Christianity, but also in Buddhism, and probably most of the religions we never heard about. All cultures had morality, and also cruelty.

That is life. Can't give Jesus the credit, sorry.

Ridiculous. As you admit, Christians loved to torture as much as anyone else. Not wanting to torture has absolutely nothing to do with Christianity. Probably is related to humanism, and the philosophical ideas leading to the founding of the USA.

There are some humanistic ideas in Christianity, but also in Buddhism, and probably most of the religions we never heard about. All cultures had morality, and also cruelty.

That is life. Can't give Jesus the credit, sorry.

I'm sorry but any honest study of cultural development will support my concept of how morality develops and will not support yours.

life experience....'do unto others'...i.e. common sense tells me it is wrong to transgress another who hasn't transgressed me or or any other innocents. You reap what you so. I don't need a book to tell me these givens.

Yup, the golden rule has been around longer than Christianity.

Empathy along with altruism are not emotions like the rest. They are a product of a brain developed to be social with is own species.
That was included in the point. That is why empathy as an example does not reflect morality. It is not a result of choice or learned behavior but biological temperament. An ethical standard accountable to the individual is only worth comparing/judging as to their relative display of prosocial learned characteristics as much of ones ethical behavior results from their environment.

Empathy thus is best framed as part of the reason we find a universal desire toward morality. The degree is not a meaningful factor into actual individual morality of an individual.
By saying america is more moral than third world countries yet those third world countries are far more under the influence of religion than america is.
Those are both true.

To reiterate the point there: America is more moral and as a result has become more secular. Religion is attractive in less moral societies exactly because it is used to enforce immorality via same appeal to the higher moral truth abstraction and because our inherit sense of that higher moral truth people would gravitate toward it like sick people to a hospital. The higher moral truth abstraction is the means to escape the norm, why it is both dangerous and important.

Secularism is thus a luxury of a relatively moral society. The problem with secular amorality as displayed in the highlighted comments is not they reflect immoral behavior, but rather how it reflects attitudes related to degree of personal prosocial characteristics. They display attitudes that very likely are below the mean and thus my sentiments "they are societal norm away from immoral behavior."

Said another way. If the hypothetical court of heaven and hell was real. One of higher moral behavior could be found wanting in comparison to someone behaviorally worse since the only criteria of judgement would likely be degree of personal prosocial characteristics. This must be true since ethical behavior as a whole is largely a result of environmental factors which one would be hard-pressed to not take into account in a just judgement.
Or in other words you have nothing but a bias to back this.
I know very little about any poster here. I predict as explained that they are likely to fall below the norm based on a few tidbits of information including their Atheism. Why should I reflect high confidence in such a complex question?
This one is the one that amuses me the most. Not one of those statements can you demonstrate as false. At best all you have done is shown that you resent them. How laughable.
They are mostly opinions with one personal story. Why would I attempt to prove them false? I extracted from them a common emotional lens, in this case, hostile resentment. That reflects poorly in terms of prosocial characteristics. So though I these were written by in all likelihood good and intelligent people they are a societal norm away from resulting in immoral behavior as I've layout the environment not personal factors are what leads one to assume those to be true.

Back
Top Bottom