• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The West Is on Fire. Trump Hasn’t Bothered Mentioning It

Not sure what you mean, or why It's funny.
From the site I linked to...

"Four federal agencies—the U.S. National Park Service (NPS), U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS), and U.S. Bureau of Land Management (BLM) within the U.S. Department of the Interior, and the U.S. Forest Service (USFS) in the U.S. Department of Agriculture—oversee roughly 95 percent, or 608 to 610 million acres, of federal land."

My point was that if Trumpelievers want to parrot that "forest management" tripe, they ought to realize that over 45% of California is federal land. They also ought to realize that "managing" nearly 46 million acres of forest in one state alone is a ridiculous concept, one of the dumber things that has come out of their Dear Leader's pie-hole.

Was referring to your rake comment. Thanks for the explanation. I agree with you about the Trump bs. You can't rake grassland and chaparral stands. Should have looked at your link.

Besides, California didn't rake its forests, so it probably deserves it.

Failure by the state(s) to take preventative measures is probably a factor in the wildfires or at least the severity of them

The truth is people are living further outside of urban areas and closer to the forests.

Builders are putting up suburban homes in places they probably shouldn’t be.
I would venture to say that a lot of the fires we are seeing now are a result of this action.
A lot of human error going on!

37 separate fires in Oregon... 10 in Washington... Hrmmmm Doesnt antifa love arson? I bet eventually we will have proof that all this was arson.

And if he said something about it, idiot leftists would find a reason to **** themselves over that as well.

Leftists are a ****ing crack-up. Leftists have spent four years venting their mindless idiotic hatred of Trump, but when something goes bad they shriek "why doesnt he love us???" Hell, I'm kinda surprised he hasnt told the leftist coast to simply "**** off". They and their ****ty state management created that mess. Handle it.

Failure by the state(s) to take preventative measures is probably a factor in the wildfires or at least the severity of them

What kind of preventive measures?

37 separate fires in Oregon... 10 in Washington... Hrmmmm Doesnt antifa love arson? I bet eventually we will have proof that all this was arson.

The big one in CA was started by a gender reveal.

At least 2 in W. WA St were started when high winds brought down trees on power lines.

This is the barely coherent and grammatically inept speech of a man who desperately wants to be able to claim that he "cured coronavirus."

That's it, in a nutshell. When we do get a handle on this crisis, he wants to be able to pull out footage and declare "I called it! I said use this! I said try this! I told them to do this, it was my idea!" He's just doing it with lots of stupid stuff because he doesnt want to miss an opportunity. He's afraid 'the big one' will be mentioned and he wont get credit for it.

It's all about declaring himself the savior of the cv crisis and we'll hear all about it, esp in his campaign. (Which is basically each of his press briefings these days) --- Lursa

If you mean by "state(s)" that all entities with land responsibilities failed to take "preventative measures" is a factor in the current situation you are correct. Federal, State and Local government have failed. Private individuals and companies have failed.

The failure is with not having proper zoning laws. Ones that require mitigation to build in high fire risk areas. Ones that require property to meet FIREWISE standards.

Congress has failed by underfunding land management agencies, passing restrictive environmental laws. This has been going on for decades which has led to many forest to be overstocked.

It is also the failure of private citizens who do not take proper care of their property.

thinning of forests, controlled burns, and yes RAKING!!

I've lived my whole life in one of the most heavily forested areas in the world, a place where the forests have been a valued resource for umpteen generations, I've worked in the bush myself, and I never heard of those things until the buffoon in the White House said them last year. It's a ridiculous concept. Anyone who advocates such a thing has no clue of the scope of what he's saying. We're not talking about a large park here.

For one thing over 45% of California, nearly 46 million acres, is federally owned. Can you possibly guess how many people would be required to "manage" that much land the way you describe? Every summer the bush is closed for fire season because people working in it increase the risk of wildfires. That's what your "forest management" measures would do, increase the risk.

I suggest ten minutes with Google Earth to get an idea of what the job would entail.

Historic?

I can't speak to Oregon.

But have you lived in California?

I have.

It's almost an ANNUAL tinderbox. These kinds of fires happen all the time there.

The President has nothing to do with this. It is a STATE issue, and the California government at all levels should have been maintaining disaster planning and funding countermeasures.

IMO money that would have been better spent to protect CA residents, property, and natural resources, than on all those "Sanctuary State" money-pit programs.

Perhaps the Pacific Northwest should have been too? You'd know better than I up there. :shrug:

Last fall I did a road trip up around Mt Lassen. I could help noticing how dense the ground cover was. Even the swaths cut out for power lines was dense and overgrown and the trees were way closer to the power lines than I would have thought. There were also literally tens of thousands of dead trees due to a bark beetle infestation. As I look at the fire maps today I can point each fire and say "I was there".

Laughably, Newson got all huffy and puffy about these fires being caused by "global warming"; the "debate is over" yada yada. And then the state releases its plan to prevent fires and its; clear underbrush, cut down tens of those dead trees, clean up power line right-of-ways, etc. JUST the things, by the way, that Trump faulted the state for not doing last year after the Paradise fire. But, "climate change", right"?

This is the view of the sun from my pasture. Looking around, everything has a smoky mustard hue. It was supposed to be in the mid-80s here today but it's only 60 degrees due to the amount of smoke cover. This is smoke that has mostly come up from CA and OR, hundreds of miles away.

smoky sunSM.jpg

What kind of preventive measures?

- Zoning laws that require Firewise standards for residential and commercial properties.
- Proper thinning of forest areas
- Fuel breaks

There is more, but that is a start.

Yet there will always be a fire that we can't stop.

-

This is the view of the sun from my pasture. Looking around, everything has a smoky mustard hue. It was supposed to be in the mid-80s here today but it's only 60 degrees due to the amount of smoke cover. This is smoke that has mostly come up from CA and OR, hundreds of miles away.

View attachment 67295071
My was like that Thursday and Friday. We had the Valley Fire about 20 miles east of here.

Last fall I did a road trip up around Mt Lassen. I could help noticing how dense the ground cover was. Even the swaths cut out for power lines was dense and overgrown and the trees were way closer to the power lines than I would have thought. There were also literally tens of thousands of dead trees due to a bark beetle infestation. As I look at the fire maps today I can point each fire and say "I was there".

Laughably, Newson got all huffy and puffy about these fires being caused by "global warming"; the "debate is over" yada yada. And then the state releases its plan to prevent fires and its; clear underbrush, cut down tens of those dead trees, clean up power line right-of-ways, etc. JUST the things, by the way, that Trump faulted the state for not doing last year after the Paradise fire. But, "climate change", right"?

What you saw is stuff all caused by our prior incorrect policies of forest management...to prevent forest fires completely. So the normal, less hot, faster moving fires were suppressed and all that ground cover was able to take hold. It requires 'controlled burns' to deal with that...and that costs $$ and requires the right weather, AND the forestry companies often object to it. They're responsible for that sort of thing on their leased and owned lands.

This is the barely coherent and grammatically inept speech of a man who desperately wants to be able to claim that he "cured coronavirus."

That's it, in a nutshell. When we do get a handle on this crisis, he wants to be able to pull out footage and declare "I called it! I said use this! I said try this! I told them to do this, it was my idea!" He's just doing it with lots of stupid stuff because he doesnt want to miss an opportunity. He's afraid 'the big one' will be mentioned and he wont get credit for it.

It's all about declaring himself the savior of the cv crisis and we'll hear all about it, esp in his campaign. (Which is basically each of his press briefings these days) --- Lursa

The democrats have done a terrible job of running California, they don't like federal interference and all of a sudden they want Trump to Help.
Yep, "leave the money and go home." Seem to be Ca. plan for everything.

One of the biggest fires in Southern California was caused by a pyrotechnic device and a gender revel party - climate change at its worst. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom