• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Week: At least one GOP senator is pretty sure Trump doesn't understand the basics

Re: The Week: At least one GOP senator is pretty sure Trump doesn't understand the ba

Besides all the other problems with this disaster of a Senate HC plan IMO many Republican Senators are probably skittish and uneasy about backing any plan that Trump backs. After what he did to the Republicans in the House, throwing them under the bus by 1st backing the House Bill, then calling it 'mean'?

I think many know how fickle he is, and in this case with the Senate Bill it seems he don't even know what's in it or what's going on. So he can easily praise it, then a week later after it passes the Senate and all the details come out he'll blast it.

I don't feel sorry for the Republicans, especially the gutless moderates, they brought all this on themselves.. But seeing how fickle and unpredictable Trump is IMO causing many GOP Senators to pause.

Re: The Week: At least one GOP senator is pretty sure Trump doesn't understand the ba

Have you ever been a leader of even a small organization? Because if you had you’d have realized:
1. it more important to make decision than to ponder detials
2. you deal in the board aspect verse details (with the odd exception: e.g. steve jobs)

The media, has the attitude Trump is a clown and is going to try and frame as many of his statements as possible to make him look stupid. I could care less.

There are many people on trumps team who understand every detail of this bill.
He looking at the basic principles and evaluating if it fits the broader agenda, like one would do as an excutive.
That team will express to him their concerns and suggestions.
If he feels one of their concerns merit a change in direction, he will act.
Until then he listens and he promotes this country's intrests.

The fact Trump is good with this process and honest about his take is why I voted for him. We don’t need more people politically ploting like so many in Washington. This is what executives do, steer the ship as part of a broader vision for the country. It works and it brings results.

edit: if he was pondering every detail it would be a waste of time, it one issue it shouldn't take him his whole term to iron out...you have people for that.

To answer your question, yes, I have been a leader of an organization (several of them) and I made it my job to know the facts. In this case, we aren't talking about some fine detail. Knowing that the Senate bill cuts Medicaid and provides hundreds of billions in tax-cuts is a major provision of the bill. If he doesn't know that, he doesn't know anything. So, instead, he goes around saying, “You’re going to have such great health care, at a tiny fraction of the cost,” when the actual bill -- the one that he would sign -- worsens healthcare, is more expensive, and throws millions off while providing less coverage.

It isn't the media framing Trump as a clown. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and swims like a duck, it's a duck. Trump is displaying for all to see that he's a clown.

To put it another way, you would not exempt that level of ignorance from any Democratic president but you except it from Trump. I think you must ask yourselves, why you have such low expectations and don't deserve better?

The right and Con media hit Obama over the head for YEARS with his' You can keep you doctor' comment'.

Trump flat out says Trumpcare will be 'great healthcare and cover more people at the fraction of the cost', which is a complete lie, and those same Republicans and Con media do nothing but excuse him. He doesn't suppose to know all the details!?!?! Saying it will cover more people at a lower costs isn't a 'detail', it's a flat out lie!

Besides being vile hypocrites they are playing with people's lives, both literally and their financial lives. Disgusting.

Last edited:

He went to the GOP's annual retreat to take their questions on it. He chaired two bipartisan summits on it, personally sparring with the GOP's representatives on its contents and their impact. He held a number of town halls around the country and on the internet, taking the public's questions on the bill. He spoke to a joint session of Congress to discuss its contents.

Yeah, he knew what was in his bill.

I was working from home when that all went down. I watched one of them on TV as it happened. The Republicans were literally reading Limbaugh sounding nonsense off of index cards, and Obama was swatting them like flies. I actually had some hope that the bill might be a big move in the right direction for the country at that point in time. Then the lobbyists got to it...

yes, I have been a leader of an organization (several of them) and I made it my job to know the facts.
That’s good then at least we can talk on the same level of expectations. And we both understand how much he wants to involve himself with the details is upto his own style of leadership and there are good and bad leaders who do both styles. Correct? In est, you can't judge a leader for this alone.

Knowing that the Senate bill cuts Medicaid
This is a common fight between people where-in I do not even see eye to eye with my own wife. Cutting a commitment for a funding raise above inflation by a previous administration is not in my view or in the eyes of many "a cut". It is the rollback of an unrealistic promises and to be expected in politics who has a reputation for over promising. Not doing so is why we had insane deficit spending(regardless of the party in power); well that and poorly implemented tax cuts.

and provides hundreds of billions in tax-cuts is a major provision of the bill.
I can not speak if he knew or did not know about the tax-cuts. I do however think his confusion is to the fact he views the opposition to healthcare reform being different from that of tax reform and can’t understand people conflating the two.

As to the individual points (please correct me if I miss any)
-net investment income tax
-Medicare wage tax (potentially)
-individual and employer mandates

100% of those taxes were justified as part of expansion within the ACA. As such it would stand to reason those would be repealed along side the promises in service expansion. So the tax repeal is a good faith move to the taxpayers and has exactly zero to do with tax reform (either lower or higher).

If he doesn't know that, he doesn't know anything.
Conflation, see my original point. He personally doesn’t need to know that, his team needs to understand that in detail. By all measures they do.

the actual bill -- the one that he would sign -- worsens healthcare, is more expensive, and throws millions off while providing less coverage.
Wrong, wrong, very wrong and potentially.
  • The statement it make it “worse” is subjective, can’t be measured, as it affects a lot of different people differently.
  • The second is willfully mis-worded, as paying out less is by definition less expensive; but since I think your talking about individual healthcare costs again that depends on your particular circumstances, generally healthy people less, generally sick people more. Most importantly when you add public and private I almost guarantee less expensive for quite a few market reasons.
  • People who have never received the assistance and who by any measure we(the public) can’t currently afford to support[in the manner we currently are].
  • Since it opens many new areas for the private sector that is wrong; however, insurance is a tricky business and this could have unintended consequences worth exploring, sure.

BTW, doesn’t mean I am fan of the bill. I am not, but that does not make it horrible legislation. It is a piece of legislation in a direction that is needed (gearing down from the previous failed plan)

It isn't the media framing Trump as a clown.
Not to me. Not to millions of Americans. So its a narrative one is choosing to read on the facts.

To put it another way, you would not exempt that level of ignorance from any Democratic president but you except it from Trump.
I am pretty non-partisan guy so I most certainly would have the same expectations of a democratic president. As I did when the ACA was proposed against much the same negative framing except that time the media & political establishment was not on the opposition. I thought it was a good principle/direction but still had specific concerns about certain implications, the inability of the Obama administration to work with all stakeholders including critics ultimately left us where we are and with a system worse then where we started. I hope Trump is mindful of this mistake in judgment by his predecessor.

I think you must ask yourselves, why you have such low expectations and don't deserve better?
Trump gives me a lot more hope than I have had in awhile. So he has actually raised my expectations. If he’s a lame duck in the end, like Hillary likely would have been, it certainly going to be worse, as we had to go through all this circus with the media and outrageous accusations. Either way, this emotionalism makes this country worse and hurts the chances for good policy to be developed, which involves representatives of all sides playing in good faith. Go be critical of trump but this demonizing is completely unhelpful to anyone. Republicans are not your enemy.

Back
Top Bottom