• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

The racial divide.... deepens.

t125eagle said:
also it was the democrats that put the civil rights acts into effect.
You are mistaken. When the 1964 Civil Rights Act was voted on, many Democrats, including the father of Al Gore voted against it. It passed solely because of Republican support. Yet the Democratic spinmeisters have managed to keep the blacks in the dark.

A perusal of the following Wikipedia statistics confirm that the Republicans, if they wished, could have scuttled the bill. If you do the math you will find that in the House of Representatives, the Democrats fell short by 58 votes and in the Senate, the Democrats fell short by 5 votes. It was Republican votes which pushed the bill over the top, much to the relief of Lyndon Johnson.

By Party and Region:

The Original House Version:
Southern Democrats: 7-87
Southern Republicans: 0-10
Northern Democrats: 145-9
Northern Republicans: 138-24

The Senate Version:
Southern Democrats: 1-21
Southern Republicans: 0-1
Northern Democrats: 46-1
Northern Republicans: 27-5

scottyz said:
Can we some statistics to support your claims?
Sure. Just do a little googling on any of the many subjects covered in my comprehensive post. The exercise will be good for you.

Fantasea said:
You are mistaken. When the 1964 Civil Rights Act was voted on, many Democrats, including the father of Al Gore voted against it. It passed solely because of Republican support. Yet the Democratic spinmeisters have managed to keep the blacks in the dark.

A perusal of the following Wikipedia statistics confirm that the Republicans, if they wished, could have scuttled the bill. If you do the math you will find that in the House of Representatives, the Democrats fell short by 58 votes and in the Senate, the Democrats fell short by 5 votes. It was Republican votes which pushed the bill over the top, much to the relief of Lyndon Johnson.

By Party and Region:

The Original House Version:
Southern Democrats: 7-87
Southern Republicans: 0-10
Northern Democrats: 145-9
Northern Republicans: 138-24

The Senate Version:
Southern Democrats: 1-21
Southern Republicans: 0-1
Northern Democrats: 46-1
Northern Republicans: 27-5

ok. thanks for the correction. just curious, and I'm not doubting you, but where did you get this info?

Navy Pride said:
Don't just cite liberal spin prove what you said is true.......

And what's your source? Newsmax? :roll:

Fantasea said:
Here’s some dessert to go with that food. Rather than direct you to a link, I think it's better to show the entire story. Obviously, it will give you indigestion.

Last week there was an immigration-overpopulation conference in Washington, DC, filled to capacity by many of America's finest minds and leaders. A brilliant college professor named Victor Hansen Davis talked about his latest book, "Mexifornia," explaining how immigration - both legal and illegal was destroying the entire state of California. He said it would march across the country until it destroyed all vestiges of The American Dream.

Well, thank you for proving me true.

If you rely on "the american dream" of the 60s, you will have a surprise shortly. It doesn't exist any more. And even if, on Jan 1st 1960, you would have closed all borders, expelled all non-american-dreamers.. it still wouldn't exist any more.

You look at the past as the way to your future. But the whole world is evolving. The best way to disintegrate a country, a culture,.. is to block it on something that cannot exist in the long term. And to exist in the long term, you have to cope with the evolution of the others. And that means you have to make your model evolve too.

How do cultures evolve? By mixing with other cultures. By integrating what's interesting into their own culture, and by letting other cultures integrate what's good in theirs.

You think that Canada and Belgium are on the verge of implosion? That could be true. Mainly because of people in those countries (one of them is mine) that try to stick to a specific culturalism that comes from the past. These are people who don't want to see the future. And they are doomed.

Just my opinion.

CU
Y

KidRocks said:
"Bush doesn't care about blacks"...

That, my friends, seems to be the general consensus among most African-Americans today in the aftermath of Katrina, like it or not.

It also seems to me that the White House did indeed drop the ball on this one.

Just to give an example I was recently watching a segment on the news where it showed the Cubans preparing for a major hurricane, the gov't there successfully moved out about 2 million Cubans out of harms way days before the hurricane hit. A stark contrast to New Orleans and Katrina.

More such examples will be forthcoming I'm sure.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-09-12-katrina-poll_x.htm

Poll shows racial divide on storm response

WASHINGTON — A USA TODAY/CNN/Gallup Poll finds a stark racial divide in Americans' attitudes toward the plight of Hurricane Katrina's victims, the performance of President Bush and the reasons the government's early response was wanting.
Six in 10 African-Americans say the fact that most hurricane victims were poor and black was one factor behind the failure of the federal government to come to their rescue quickly. Nearly nine in 10 non-Hispanic whites say those weren't factors.

Bush, in downtown New Orleans for the first time since the hurricane hit, on Monday denied race played a role. "My attitude is this: The storm didn't discriminate, and neither will the recovery effort," he said. "When those Coast Guard choppers ... were pulling people off roofs, they didn't check the color of a person's skin. They wanted to save lives."

But Rae Clifton, 52, a Web designer in Atlanta who is black and was among those surveyed, is certain that race and class did count. "If it had been a 17-year-old white cheerleader who was caught in the water, somebody would have tried to get there faster," she says. "But because it was poor people ... it was, 'OK, we'll get there after a while.' "

The racial divide — which underscores the different perspectives whites and blacks continue to have on some aspects of life in America — could affect the debate over addressing poverty and rebuilding the region.

"Some of the concern I'm hearing (from blacks) is that New Orleans is going to be rebuilt but gentrified in such a way that they can't go back," says Michael Fauntroy, a political scientist at George Mason University who has studied relations between blacks and the GOP. The administration needs to allay those fears, he says.

In any case, Republican efforts this year to reach out to black voters have been set back. In the survey, African-Americans by 74%-16% have an unfavorable opinion of the GOP. By more than 3-1, they say Bush doesn't care about black people. By more than 2-1, whites say he does...

And you still have not answered the real question: Is there any proof he does care about black people?

For that matter, does any president, Democrat or Republican, really care about anyone who does not vote for them? No. They really, truly, honestly don't.

I'm sick of "Bush doesn't care about Black people": because he doesn't. Plain and simple. Niether would Kerry, if he didn't know that they were going to vote for him.

Navy Pride said:
There is no question that rascism still exists in this country but things have improved by leaps and bounds over the last 50 years........

Democrats and Liberals want to keep African Americans down........They want them to be dependent on them from the moment they are born until they die........A lot of African Americans are beginning to see through this scam and are moving away from this democratic domination.........

There is a racial divide but it is narrowing and hopefully some day in the near future will be gone.............
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hummmmm! You make this statement "Democrats and Liberals want to keep African Americans down"!

And you want ME to prove it when I said:

The Republicans want to keep African Americans down???:roll: :doh

Can YOU prove YOUR STATEMENT???:rofl :spin:

Back
Top Bottom