• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Pentagon has 3 years to strip Confederate names from bases. Here's what comes next

Replace the names with numbers for all I care. Iike Starfleet does for its star bases in Star Trek.
Until the day comes when some sad sack becomes offended by a number

We'll honor her by naming a Botox injection site after her.

Or an Army fort, an Air Force base and a Navy CVN

One thing's for sure, Donald Trump will NEVER have any US military Ft, base or ship named after him. Not even a back road to a sewage plant.

That's equally as absurd as naming them after Pelosi or Confederate traitors.

I mean..... Ted Williams served with distinction in World War Two and Korea. I think he deserves to have a vase or two named after him.

I mean..... Ted Williams served with distinction in World War Two and Korea. I think he deserves to have a vase or two named after him.

A Williams vase huh ?

Doesn't quite have the ring of a Ming Vase.

A Williams vase huh ?

Doesn't quite have the ring of a Ming Vase.

In both vases and bases, better to be named after Williams than folks who fought to protect slavery.

Or an Army fort, an Air Force base and a Navy CVN

One thing's for sure, Donald Trump will NEVER have any US military Ft, base or ship named after him. Not even a back road to a sewage plant.

I'm for making the federal prison library at Ft. Leavenworth into the Trump Presidential Library where he only has to walk up one flight to it. Have the cotraitor Flynn be the librarian and Barr the custodian.

The Big House at Ft. Leavenworth Kansas
william-estes-military-fort-leavenworth-prison.jpg

United States Disciplinary Barracks (USDB) & Federal Prison

OIP.J537iwN4A-ZK9pPYYb30hwHaEc
TIME_Prisoner_Trump.jpg

I suggest blowing up Mt. Rushmore while we are at it.

Or, we could just rename these bases to more suitable names congruent with a cultural understanding of 2021. I’m all about harm reduction. In what areas can you reduce suffering and show respect to people whose ancestors yours mistreated? In areas precisely like this. Not naming US Government locations after brutal slave masters is just a painless way to reduce suffering, ease tension, and show respect your fellow man.

Political correctness, cancel culture and identity politics is destroying the country. It's a sad thing to witness

Name them after sports legends.

Fort DiMaggio
Babe Ruth AFB
Fort [Michael] Jordon
This one will be a winner: Fort Lombardi
You can't do that because there's always something about an athlete's history that will offend someone.

You can't do that. The name Montana comes from the Spanish word Montaña. It glorifies the attempted genocude of the native people.

I was thinking of Joe Montana

"The name Montana comes from the Spanish word montaña, which in turn comes from the Latin word montanea, meaning "mountain" or more broadly "mountainous country". Montaña del Norte was the name given by early Spanish explorers to the entire mountainous region of the west. The name Montana was added in 1863 to a bill by the United States House Committee on Territories (chaired at the time by James Ashley of Ohio) for the territory that would become Idaho Territory...

I didn't spot any glorification of attempted genocide.

Political correctness, cancel culture and identity politics is destroying the country. It's a sad thing to witness

Confederate LtGen Stonewall Jackson was deaf as a stonewall from commanding a company of artillery in the Mexican American War.

In the First Battle of Bull Run Jackson was ordered to withdraw by Gen. Bernard Bee whose shouting Jackson could not hear on his horse in front of a stone wall, prompting a Bee staff officer to say Jackson was as deaf as a stone wall. So Bee who galloped toward Jackson to give the order face to face was shot dead off his mount.

Jackson suffered from what is believed today to be narcolepsy that in but one of numerous vital instances -- the Seven Days Battle -- left his division sitting idle while Lee raged against Jackson's absence on the left flank and rebel soldiers died by the gross while Jackson was sprawled off his horse cutting zzz's. Jackson regularly fell off his horse suddenly asleep.

Jackson demanded only Presbyterian officers and referenced the Lord God etc in virtually every sentence. Jackson would not fight on Sunday which meant his division and then corps didn't fight either -- not without a long argument followed by a lot of prayer before finally saddling up which was often too late.

Jackson died of "friendly fire" wounds when three soldiers fired on him simultaneously while he was accompanied by some of his staff on a night recon in rain and woods along the front lines. A major gave the fatal order to fire but Jackson being deaf as a stonewall had the inevitable misfortune of not hearing his staff shout to duck.

So as with your post there's willful myth and there's stone cold reality for the common good.

Confederate LtGen Stonewall Jackson was deaf as a stonewall from commanding a company of artillery in the Mexican American War.

In the First Battle of Bull Run Jackson was ordered to withdraw by Gen. Bernard Bee whose shouting Jackson could not hear on his horse in front of a stone wall, prompting a Bee staff officer to say Jackson was as deaf as a stone wall. So Bee who galloped toward Jackson to give the order face to face was shot dead off his mount.

Jackson suffered from what is believed today to be narcolepsy that in but one of numerous vital instances -- the Seven Days Battle -- left his division sitting idle while Lee raged against Jackson's absence on the left flank and rebel soldiers died by the gross while Jackson was sprawled off his horse cutting zzz's. Jackson regularly fell off his horse suddenly asleep.

Jackson demanded only Presbyterian officers and referenced the Lord God etc in virtually every sentence. Jackson would not fight on Sunday which meant his division and then corps didn't fight either -- not without a long argument followed by a lot of prayer before finally saddling up which was often too late.

Jackson died of "friendly fire" wounds when three soldiers fired on him simultaneously while he was accompanied by some of his staff on a night recon in rain and woods along the front lines. A major gave the fatal order to fire but Jackson being deaf as a stonewall had the inevitable misfortune of not hearing his staff shout to duck.

So as with your post there's willful myth and there's stone cold reality for the common good.

Are you sure about that. I always associated General "Stonewall" Jackson's nickname to stoic defense, not deafness:

" When Virginia seceded from the Union in May 1861 after the attack on Fort Sumter, Jackson joined the Confederate Army. He distinguished himself commanding a brigade at the First Battle of Bull Run in July, providing crucial reinforcements and beating back a fierce Union assault. In this context Barnard Elliott Bee Jr. compared him to a "stone wall", hence his enduring nickname..."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stonewall_Jackson

I was thinking of Joe Montana

"The name Montana comes from the Spanish word montaña, which in turn comes from the Latin word montanea, meaning "mountain" or more broadly "mountainous country". Montaña del Norte was the name given by early Spanish explorers to the entire mountainous region of the west. The name Montana was added in 1863 to a bill by the United States House Committee on Territories (chaired at the time by James Ashley of Ohio) for the territory that would become Idaho Territory...

I didn't spot any glorification of attempted genocide.
Evil Europeans invading the area.

Are you sure about that. I always associated General "Stonewall" Jackson's nickname to stoic defense, not deafness:

" When Virginia seceded from the Union in May 1861 after the attack on Fort Sumter, Jackson joined the Confederate Army. He distinguished himself commanding a brigade at the First Battle of Bull Run in July, providing crucial reinforcements and beating back a fierce Union assault. In this context Barnard Elliott Bee Jr. compared him to a "stone wall", hence his enduring nickname..."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stonewall_Jackson

That is exactly what I am addressing.

I'm addressing the Lost Cause romantic mythology of the Confederacy and its CW generals that has existed and been reinforced for more than 160 years by statues, monuments, presidents, culture, books, Hollywood and so on.

That the CSA and its soldiers were competent, endearing, earnest, spirited and deserved to win. They fought without shoes and enough supplies and all of that BS. And that they will be back: "The South Shall Rise Again," crap.

Here's a sample of the baloney that's been on the market and reinforced since the war and that one can find in many places.

The clip is from the motion picture The Horse Soldiers starring John Wayne and William Holden as Union officers and whose my dick is bigger than your dick match of fisticuffs gets interrupted by a wild charge of very young cadets of a Confederate States military academy ordered by the charming old coot schoolmaster Bible in hand as he leads the march of the cadets on the Union position to charge and rout them thar damn yankees.

Such darlin boys and their cause of slavery, racism, cession, their single party CSA state and their treason. "Stonewall" Jackson was killed by his own officers and men because all he did was get 'em killed instead of killing only yankees.

Lies, hyperbole and general nonsense.

That is exactly what I am addressing.

I'm addressing the Lost Cause romantic mythology of the Confederacy and its CW generals that has existed and been reinforced for more than 160 years by statues, monuments, presidents, culture, books, Hollywood and so on.

That the CSA and its soldiers were competent, endearing, earnest, spirited and deserved to win. They fought without shoes and enough supplies and all of that BS. And that they will be back: "The South Shall Rise Again," crap.

Here's a sample of the baloney that's been on the market and reinforced since the war and that one can find in many places.

The clip is from the motion picture The Horse Soldiers starring John Wayne and William Holden as Union officers and whose my dick is bigger than your dick match of fisticuffs gets interrupted by a wild charge of very young cadets of a Confederate States military academy ordered by the charming old coot schoolmaster Bible in hand as he leads the march of the cadets on the Union position to charge and rout them thar damn yankees.

I don't think anyone every treats a John Wayne movie as historical - well maybe the Alamo, but even that glorified the Mexican army somewhat and eulogized the defenders.

But, I'm not saying that you're wrong, what is your source that General Jackson got his nickname "Stonewall" from his deafness ?

I don't think anyone every treats a John Wayne movie as historical - well maybe the Alamo, but even that glorified the Mexican army somewhat and eulogized the defenders.

But, I'm not saying that you're wrong, what is your source that General Jackson got his nickname "Stonewall" from his deafness ?

Tangmo history....

Almost as bad as Rich2018 gun knowledge.

I'm addressing the Lost Cause romantic mythology of the Confederacy and its CW generals that has existed and been reinforced for more than 160 years by statues, monuments, presidents, culture, books, Hollywood and so on...

And movies like "Gods and Generals" that seeks to romanticize the southern cause...

Back
Top Bottom