• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The only thing the Soviets accomplished was the capture of Berlin

Space

1957 The first artificial satellite of the Earth.
1959 First flight to the Moon, lander to the Moon, photo of the back side of the Moon.
1961 The first human flight into space.
1964 The flight of the first multi-seat spacecraft.
1966 First soft landing on the moon.
1967 The first smooth descent in the atmosphere of another planet (Venus-4).
1970 The First Lunar Rover.
1971 The first soft landing of the lander on Mars (Mars-3)
.1971 The first single-module orbital station ("Salyut").
1986 The first multi-module orbital station (Mir).
1965 1987 Proton rocket, starting mass 705 t. payload - 23 t. Total launches (until 15.04.2013) - 385. successful - 339
Heavy Soviet rocket " Energia "(starting mass 2400 t. payload 100 t). Note. The American Saturn 5C rocket (from 1967 to 1973 - 13 launches) could put 140 tons into low Earth orbit.
1987 Energia rocket, starting mass 2400 t. payload 140 t.
1985 Rocket engine RD-170/171. thrust 740 t. The RD-180 and RD-181 created on its basis were purchased for a long time by the United States, which by 2015 could not create a similar one. So. in 2015, in the midst of economic sanctions of developed countries against Russia, a contract was signed for the supply of 60 RD-181 engines to the United States worth $ 1 billion.
1988 Flight of the Buran reusable spacecraft (without crew).

The science

1954 The world's first facility for controlled thermonuclear fusion "Tokamak". The plasma temperature of 10 million degrees was reached at the installation. Western countries were able to get a similar result in almost 15 years.
1976 Big Telescope Alt-Azimuthal (BTA). for a long time it was the largest in the world. The primary mirror has a diameter of 6.0 m and weighs 42 t. The focal length is 24 m. the mass of the moving part of the telescope is 650 t.
1975 ROTAN-600 - the world's largest ring radio telescope with a variable profile antenna with a diameter of about 600 m.
1928 Discovery of Alpha decay (a type of radioactive decay).
1932 VCR with magnetic heads mounted on a rotating drum. Invented by K. L. Yusupov.
1941 The world's first microwave oven was developed and tested in the USSR (Institute of Meat Industry).
1954 Invention of the maser and laser. Soviet academicians A. M. Prokhorov and N. G. Basov received the Nobel Prize for their invention in 1964.
1957 A synchrophasotron was created in Dubna
1960 The world's first collider

Extreme Hobbyists Put Satellites Into Orbit With $8,000 Kits
Attention wannabe supervillains: Putting your own, personal satellite into orbit is not such a far-fetched idea after all. Interorbital Systems, which makes rockets and spacecraft, created a kit last year that lets almost anyone with a passion for electronics and space build a satellite. The $8,000 kit includes the price of the launch. The company […]

Extreme Hobbyists Put Satellites Into Orbit With $8,000 Kits | WIRED

As soon as the propaganda value was over, the Soviets abandoned their space program.

Right after America landed on the moon, the Soviet space program disappeared.

It was propaganda for us too. We haven't been back to the moon since.

Last edited:
Have you heard about the project of a space interplanetary tug with a nuclear power engine, whose tasks include the development of distant parts of the Solar system?
This is not a fantasy from a Hollywood movie, such a project is actively developing, and the ship itself is already being built in Russia.
The media is silent about this, but they shout about the launches of the fraudster Musk.

Pic from the surface of Venus taken by the Venera 14 lander.

1-47.jpg

No, that is a pic of my back yard, after I decided to try my hand at gardening. They lifted it out of my picture album.

Stalin wouldn't have stayed in the war if the British hadn't rescued the Soviets, and the the U.S. had to supply them throught the war afterwards. They were just the hired help; FDR beat the Soviets. The U.S. fought on three fronts and kept the fourth one alive.

Ignore the latest right wing fads bashing FDR, it's just sociopath loons sniveling about having Social Security, minimum wage laws, and how drunk driving and wife beating are no longer fashionable.

Stalin wouldn't have stayed in the war if the British hadn't rescued the Soviets, and the the U.S. had to supply them throught the war afterwards. They were just the hired help; FDR beat the Soviets. The U.S. fought on three fronts and kept the fourth one alive.
I wonder why you completely ignored the role of Captain America and Wonder Woman in defeating nazism? And I do not even mention the important role in war effort of the inhabitants of the planet Nibiru, which of course you should know, along with "FDR beat the Soviets".

Between 1917 and the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991, the only thing the Soviets ever accomplished was the victory over the Germans.

Prove me wrong.
And, they would have failed at even that, if not for US supplies and logistics. Expendable Bodies was pretty much all the Russians had...and they lost like 20,000,000 of them.

The quintessence of capitalism

And, they would have failed at even that, if not for US supplies and logistics.

I know. that teaching the history of the USSR in the United States is very bad, so given this sad reality, I will give you a few facts:
the USSR defeated 3/4 of the German divisions ( the best ones in quality).
The Allies defeated 1/4. (German divisions of the second half of the war, when the germans sent the Hitler Youth and oldmen from the Volkssturm to the Western Front, collecting the best of what they had for the Eastern Front)

The second fact: Lend-lease aid was important, but far from decisive, especially since the main flow of lend-lease went in 1943, when after Stalingrad and the Kursk Bulge, the tide of wars turned.
Listen less to the advocates of nazism. That's my advice to you. Free of charge.

I know. that teaching the history of the USSR in the United States is very bad, so given this sad reality, I will give you a few facts:
the USSR defeated 3/4 of the German divisions ( the best ones in quality).
The Allies defeated 1/4. (German divisions of the second half of the war, when the germans sent the Hitler Youth and oldmen from the Volkssturm to the Western Front, collecting the best of what they had for the Eastern Front)

The second fact: Lend-lease aid was important, but far from decisive, especially since the main flow of lend-lease went in 1943, when after Stalingrad and the Kursk Bulge, the tide of wars turned.
Listen less to the advocates of nazism. That's my advice to you. Free of charge.

We have Zhukov himself on recordings saying the opposite. An as for Kursk, the Pocket was filled with American and British tanks, they used Allied ammo, uniforms, food, and aviation fuel, and locomotives to be able to risk any kind of offensive, while the Germans were defeated only when they ran our of supplies and Hitler denied his commanders the mobility to make their own decisions. That's why Stalin's human wave attacks were successful, and he didn't care about casualties. What stopped the Germans were the 25 mile deep mine fields. The Allied bombing campaigns forced Hitler to strip the Eastern Front of aircraft and anti-aircraft guns, leaving the Soviets almost total air control; the Soviets could even get away with flying old WW I era planes, like the women of the 'Night Witches' units flew.

An as for Kursk, the Pocket was filled with American and British tanks,

Glantz disagrees; Lead Lease tanks amounted to 16% of Soviet tank numbers and at Kursk just 15% of Soviet tank brigades were armed exclusively with British and American tanks. [The Battle of Kurks, Glantz and House, pg 37].

and locomotives to be able to risk any kind of offensive,

This is also inaccurate; the Soviets had a surplus of rolling stock that they had saved during the initial invasion. Trucks, on the other hand, were heavily American were of great usage to the Soviets.

while the Germans were defeated only when they ran our of supplies and Hitler denied his commanders the mobility to make their own decisions.

I'm not sure if this is speaking generally or just for Kursk, but if the latter it's hardly accurate.

Kursk had always been beyond the capability of the German armies, but it was Hitler who actually stopped it from being a larger disaster. Von Manstein had wanted to commit the II SS Panzer Corps to Prokhorovka under the assumption a breakthrough was imminent if the pressure could be kept up, but he was operating on bad intelligence; the Soviets were in fact massing a major armored grouping for a counterstrike. Hitler ordered the II SS and Grossdeutchland to disengage in a vain hope they could do something about the recent Allied landing in Italy. It was the right decision for the wrong reason; had Hitler not ordered them moved, the II SS would have likely been caught in the ensuing Soviet encirclement rather than been in position to stave off the Red Army long enough for the battered German infantry divisions to withdraw.

Had Manstein gotten his way the II SS Panzer Corps would have likely been destroyed as would many of the German infantry divisions of Army Group Center, turning the subsequent Soviet counter-offensive into even more of a crushing victory.

Lend lease stuff the Soviets liked were radios, trucks, gun powder, aluminum, food, high octane fuel, and a few others. We sent over 2,000 locomotives and over 10,000 rail cars to the Soviets.

To be fair it's a lot easier to produce stuff when your cities aren't on fire.

Between 1917 and the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991, the only thing the Soviets ever accomplished was the victory over the Germans.

Prove me wrong.

I see I was beaten to the punch about the space race.

Lend lease stuff the Soviets liked were radios, trucks, gun powder, aluminum, food, high octane fuel, and a few others. We sent over 2,000 locomotives and over 10,000 rail cars to the Soviets.
Yep. And all that lend lease stuff they got from us meant their industry could concentrate on building tanks, heavy artillery and planes.

Yep. And all that lend lease stuff they got from us meant their industry could concentrate on building tanks, heavy artillery and planes.

They relied on British engineers in their factories, along with imported alloys of all kinds, imported engines, aviation fuel, gunpowder, advance machinery, etc. The T-34 wasn't a great tank until the summer of 1944. when the Soviets finally listened to the criticisms of their designs and implemented the improvements outlined by American engineers. What the Soviets excelled at were land mines, some anti-tank guns, and portable bridges.

They were reduced to 500 tanks across their entire Front by the time the Germans bogged down near Moscow; the timely arrival of 125 British tanks allowed them to launch some small offensives that winter and saved Moscow, since they had nothing to save it with when the thaws came. They couldn't have launched the Kursk offensive without all those reserve tanks in the Pocket.

Sputnik was a little artillery shell with a transponder on it. A modern day rocket hobbyist could do a Sputnik in a weekend. They'd even be able to send back video and other telemetry.

I'm unimpressed.

What else you got?

A modern day rocket hobbyist maybe. But in 1957 they still beat everyone else.

Glantz disagrees; Lead Lease tanks amounted to 16% of Soviet tank numbers and at Kursk just 15% of Soviet tank brigades were armed exclusively with British and American tanks. [The Battle of Kurks, Glantz and House, pg 37].

My copy says 15% of Soviet brigades were mixed Lend/lease and 20% were exclusively armed with L/L tanks. He also isn't clear if he is including assault guns as tanks or not, and in any case he also doesn't distinguish between operational tanks versus broke down ones, which in the case of the T-34s available at Kursk would be significant numbers.

This is also inaccurate; the Soviets had a surplus of rolling stock that they had saved during the initial invasion. Trucks, on the other hand, were heavily American were of great usage to the Soviets.

"In addition, the Lend-Lease program propped up the Soviet railway system, which played a fundamental role in moving and supplying troops. The program sent nearly 2,000 locomotives and innumerable boxcars to the Soviet Union. In addition, almost half of all the rails used by the Soviet Union during the war came through Lend-Lease. "

We shipped them modern locomotives and rolling stock; they were still rolling on stock like the train on Petticoat Junction, a major reason why they couldn't shift armies from one part of the front to another. The above article points out other supplies they couldn't win without.

I'm not sure if this is speaking generally or just for Kursk, but if the latter it's hardly accurate.

They were chronically short of supplies; their rail shipments were always months behind.

Kursk had always been beyond the capability of the German armies, but it was Hitler who actually stopped it from being a larger disaster. Von Manstein had wanted to commit the II SS Panzer Corps to Prokhorovka under the assumption a breakthrough was imminent if the pressure could be kept up, but he was operating on bad intelligence; the Soviets were in fact massing a major armored grouping for a counterstrike. Hitler ordered the II SS and Grossdeutchland to disengage in a vain hope they could do something about the recent Allied landing in Italy. It was the right decision for the wrong reason; had Hitler not ordered them moved, the II SS would have likely been caught in the ensuing Soviet encirclement rather than been in position to stave off the Red Army long enough for the battered German infantry divisions to withdraw.

They couldn't defeat the minefields.

Had Manstein gotten his way the II SS Panzer Corps would have likely been destroyed as would many of the German infantry divisions of Army Group Center, turning the subsequent Soviet counter-offensive into even more of a crushing victory.

Hitler's 'no retreat' orders are why Mannstein was grasping at straws. He was limited in what operations he could do. As I said, Hitler stripped them of air superiority, and yes pulled out critical units because of the invasion of Italy. This just adds to my point FDR won the war, and the Soviets were just the hired help after the Brits saved them at Moscow.

My favorite 'what if' is if Hitler had chosen to invade Turkey and raced to the oilfields via that route instead of going the way he did and then let himself be tempted by Stalingrad. He would have killed two birds with one stone, or three, actually, one being threatening the other flank of Egypt, and two, seized the oilfields, and cut off a major Lend?Lease route to the Soviets.

My copy says 15% of Soviet brigades were mixed Lend/lease and 20% were exclusively armed with L/L tanks.

You have that backwards; 20% were mixed and 15% were pure.

"In addition, the Lend-Lease program propped up the Soviet railway system, which played a fundamental role in moving and supplying troops. The program sent nearly 2,000 locomotives and innumerable boxcars to the Soviet Union. In addition, almost half of all the rails used by the Soviet Union during the war came through Lend-Lease. "

The Soviets received just 44 locomotives in 1943. The Soviets had 10,000 locomotives and over 100,000 units of rolling stock; the Lend-Lease support in that area was not all that significant, especially because American made products couldn't be used on Russian rail gauges.

They couldn't defeat the minefields.

That's an oversimplification of it. As the Germans advanced their increasingly exposed flanks could only be covered by their depleted infantry divisions, which were incapable of holding their ground. It wasn't the big tank clashes that decided Kursk, it was the constant counterattacks by Soviet divisional, regimental, and battalion groups against the German flanks that eroded German ability to press further in.

The German infantry were simply too weak by 1943 to be able to hold their own against the increasing scale of Soviet armored forces.

and yes pulled out critical units because of the invasion of Italy.

And in doing so likely saved them. Had Manstein committed them the SS Panzer Corps would have likely been destroyed in the ensuing Soviet counter-offensive. Again, the right decision for the wrong reason. Manstein, on the other hand, was very much in the wrong because he had overstated how much damage he had inflicted at Kharkov earlier in the year.

Ignore the latest right wing fads bashing FDR, it's just sociopath loons sniveling about having Social Security, minimum wage laws, and how drunk driving and wife beating are no longer fashionable.
80% of German casualties were inflicted by Russia. The Germans were being pushed back to Poland on D-day and Germany was moving divisions east to counter Operation Bagration weeks after the Normandy invasion.
D-day was as much about keeping Russia contained as about helping defeat Germany. The USSR won WW2 in Europe.

Logistics IS warfare. So the Germans lost.

Having the best tanks in the world counts for very little if you do not have gasoline. Then you just have the world’s most intricately engineered road blocks and pillboxes.

Back
Top Bottom