• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The NHL 2011-2012 Thread

So Lidstrom is retiring, sad day.

So Lidstrom is retiring, sad day.

Yeah, I am bummed, but I think it was the right time for him. He made way too many mistakes this year, mistakes he never used to make.

Nicklas Lidstrom was truly one-of-a-kind - Michael Rosenberg - SI.com

I want to say he was like Tim Duncan: Understated, fundamentally sound, caring only about winning, spending his entire career with a single franchise. But Duncan is a spotty free-throw shooter, and he can't shoot three-pointers, and you wouldn't ask him to dribble the ball up court unless everybody else on your team had fouled out. As great as Duncan was (and is), there are so many things that a 7-footer just can't do as well as a great 6-footer. So no, he was not quite like Tim Duncan.

I want to say he was like Joe DiMaggio, the mysterious genius, who rarely struck out and supposedly always threw to the right base and could help his team win a single game in a dozen ways. But by most accounts, talking to DiMaggio was like trying to get to second base with a porcupine. So no, he was not quite like Joe DiMaggio.

I want to say he was like Joe Montana, another third-round pick whose subtle gifts were hard to recognize, who seemed to get calmer when everybody else panicked. But Montana missed half the 1986 season and almost all of the 1991 and 1992 seasons with injuries, then battled desperately to come back from brutal injuries so he could determine how his career ended. Montana took a lot of hits, and his career is defined in part by his desire to play through pain. And besides, every once in a while, Montana threw interceptions. So no, he was not quite like Joe Montana.

If you don't follow hockey, this is hard to understand. But there has never, ever, in the history of sports, ever been anybody like Nick Lidstrom.

TBH I think he should be inducted into the Hall of Fame the next go around, he shouldn't have to wait.

Watching him play live while frustrating was always a pleasure.

Only if NJ starts to play better than they have been. This was their best shot at getting to LA, and they failed.

That's quite the melrosesque analysis you got there..... What I saw was a tight game, with the devils not running thier forcheck as they have been, with LA, looking good, but not really much better than NJ who was struggling a bit. The 1st game was a conservative low shot game where the teams were feeling each other out.... 1-1 overtime loss...... One would be foolish to think that one could gleam that one team played horrible, and the other well. I think LA played better than NJ, but the win, didn't come easy.

I think Quick is a little more than a hot goalie. He's been solid all year.

Stay puff (jigure) was hot all year in 2003. then it was thomas, vokun, who was that vancouver goalie they said was better than marty who we don't hear about anymore.... oh yeah luongo.... oh and who can forget "jesus" price.... that was a flop..... anyway, when a goalie gets hot, they get hyped, that hype can sink into any players psyche and that's what I saw from game one.... To many extra passes tryng to get quick to move....

I have a feeling this will be remedied in game 2.

That's quite the melrosesque analysis you got there..... What I saw was a tight game, with the devils not running thier forcheck as they have been, with LA, looking good, but not really much better than NJ who was struggling a bit. The 1st game was a conservative low shot game where the teams were feeling each other out.... 1-1 overtime loss...... One would be foolish to think that one could gleam that one team played horrible, and the other well. I think LA played better than NJ, but the win, didn't come easy.

Hey Rev, you are so heavily biased for the Devils that your opinions are pretty odd. LA came off a long layoff(playoffwise), did not play nearly as well as they normally do, and still controlled play most of the game. Notice that I did not say one team played horribly, that is you making **** up again.

Hey Rev, you are so heavily biased for the Devils that your opinions are pretty odd. LA came off a long layoff(playoffwise), did not play nearly as well as they normally do, and still controlled play most of the game. Notice that I did not say one team played horribly, that is you making **** up again.

I wouldn't say they controlled play most of the game.

3 days longer, than the devils, no? That's not something that's relevant. You keep calling me biased, but that's just more of your melrose type analysys.... And we know how accurate your observer status has been thus far. :ssst:

It's an odd "opinion" that a 1-1 game is "tight"?

It's an odd opinion to note they play a similar style of game?

It's an odd opinion to note that a goalie's performance can get into players heads, and cause them to do things like over pass the puck?

It's an odd opinion to note, that clarkson and harrold, both missed by inches, and that this game was far closer than it looked even with the score?

It's an odd opinion to note the game by both teams played rather conservitavley.... (low total shots)... as often teams will do in a game one?

you do know what I do notice though, is you tend to run your mouth at me about bias, and "making **** up", nonsense, than arguing my hockey acumen. I wonder why that is? :ssst:

I wouldn't say they controlled play most of the game.

No they didn't. In fact I believe it was about equal in the zone, first period was a feeling out period, with lots of icings and broken plays. And Brown that douchebag running marty as if that's gonna rattle him....

The kings goal came from a nice triangle play, based on that "boring" (wait it's the kings so it's not boring but "creative") forcheck system both teams employ...

The Kings size made all the difference as the tempo picked up. Devils need to counter it with crisper passing, and not holding the stick so tight....

Devils started to control the puck after the second, got them the tie, but not the overtime.

Zidlicky's gotta stop making turnovers in the neutral zone, kovy in the kings zone.

Kopitar's goal was pretty, I must admit. guys got skill and poise.

but that's just my "heavily devils biased" opinion. :ssst:

Last edited:
dd76632f.jpg

Let's go Devils!

LA takes another one in OT.

Captain Obvious says that the Devils have to find a way to get a lead in regulation.

Captain Obvious also says that LA has to find a way to put NJ away when they get a lead. Expecting Quick to get a shutout every game won't do it.

LA takes another one in OT.

Captain Obvious says that the Devils have to find a way to get a lead in regulation.

Captain Obvious also says that LA has to find a way to put NJ away when they get a lead. Expecting Quick to get a shutout every game won't do it.

God your worse than a Rangers fan

Tim Thomas announced that he is taking a year off...on facebook.

Why? Is this his way of retiring?

‎"At the age of 38, I believe it is time to put my time and energies into those areas and relationships that I have neglected. That is why at this time I feel the most important thing I can do in my life is to reconnect with the three F's.

Friends, Family, and Faith.

This is what I plan on doing over the course of the next year."

Those are the only words I have seen him say so far.

Those are the only words I have seen him say so far.

Well at 38 he doesn't have that many years left to play. Though he's won a cup, a Conn Smythe, and a Vezina what else is there?

Well at 38 he doesn't have that many years left to play. Though he's won a cup, a Conn Smythe, and a Vezina what else is there?

If that is what he wants to do then he should because he is old and has done a lot. I just found it weird that it has been only on facebook so far.

Damn, Kopitar is easily the best player out there not wearing goaly pads. It is like he is playing in an entirely different gear than every one else.

First goal should not have happened, Marty had it under his pad. Second goal was just hard work and skill. NJ power play just is looking a mess the second period, totally demoralized.

You don't squander 6 power plays. /facepalm

Kovulchuck looks hurt.

Kopitar is a star, but like all eastern europeans will fizzle in the next couple years. :ssst:

LA fans seem like they all are on valium.....

You don't squander 6 power plays. /facepalm

Kovulchuck looks hurt.

Kopitar is a star, but like all eastern europeans will fizzle in the next couple years. :ssst:

LA fans seem like they all are on valium.....

You could be right on Kovalchuck.

It seemed like the LA fans burned out during that 5 on 3, which admittedly was pretty intense.

Back
Top Bottom