• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The Hobbit

I read the LotR Trilogy before The Hobbit...both were enthralling. the I started to read the Simarillion...and it put me off reading for a while!

You know, I've tried to listen to LOTR on audiobook and I have a tough time doing so.

But I think the reason why is because I know so many fantasy tropes that it all seems old to me.

Which isn't giving enough credit to JRR since he essentially invented high fantasy as a modern genre from which all other such authors inspired.

One more thing to blame D&D for, I suppose.

Always a problem in video translation. My best modern example is The Hunger Games where 9 hours of audio became 2 hours of video. So the tense search for water was resolved by immediately finding the stream.

I think that video should be watched before the book is read assuming you can plan your life that way...:)

I watched the movie online and that induced me to read The Hunger Games trilogy. Then I went back and watched the movie again. The books did so much better at telling the story...especially in explaining the living conditions in Sector 12. I really wish I'd read the books first.

It's an amazing book. I so rarely discover a best-seller that I like. I read a lot of obscure authors. But this book (and the 2 others) really involved me emotionally. The movie - meh.

I watched the movie online and that induced me to read The Hunger Games trilogy. Then I went back and watched the movie again. The books did so much better at telling the story...especially in explaining the living conditions in Sector 12. I really wish I'd read the books first.

You know, I've tried to listen to LOTR on audiobook and I have a tough time doing so.

But I think the reason why is because I know so many fantasy tropes that it all seems old to me.

Which isn't giving enough credit to JRR since he essentially invented high fantasy as a modern genre from which all other such authors inspired.

One more thing to blame D&D for, I suppose.
I dont think the audio book format would work for me. Reading it alows my own mind to paint the picture. I think having it read to me would put me to sleep. Tolkiens story craft caused most people I suspect to paint the picture in a very similar way.

Here is McCoy after a long day of fandom......
IMAGE_608.jpg

I don't know if anyone else can relate but I'd just like to share that as a young boy (maybe 3rd or 4th grade) the first really "substantial" book that I remember reading was The Hobbit. I was completely hooked. I was amazed by the scope and style of the tale. From that point on, I became an avid fan of the Fantasy/Sci-Fi genre of literature. Went on to read all things Tolkien, Bradbury, Heinlen, Asimov, Brooks, Pratchett, etc. I essentially found the one thing that would "spur" me on to become a good reader and a capable writer. Also got deep into AD&D and other "original" RPG's and "acquired" a whole new and "interesting" set of friends. :lol:

In summary....reading The Hobbit was a turning point for me way back then......and I've probably re-read it 25-30 times since. I share all this to get to the topic of the new movie.

Question is........is anyone anxiously awaiting the release of The Hobbit motion picture.........or are you like me, and are sensing a bit of dread that the motion picture industry will do a degree of "injustice" to that one work of literature that I've placed on a pedastel?

No movie's ever gonna catch the epic scope of an epic novel.

Like you, I just hope they can keep the butchery to an absolute minimum.

I don't know if anyone else can relate but I'd just like to share that as a young boy (maybe 3rd or 4th grade) the first really "substantial" book that I remember reading was The Hobbit. I was completely hooked. I was amazed by the scope and style of the tale. From that point on, I became an avid fan of the Fantasy/Sci-Fi genre of literature. Went on to read all things Tolkien, Bradbury, Heinlen, Asimov, Brooks, Pratchett, etc. I essentially found the one thing that would "spur" me on to become a good reader and a capable writer. Also got deep into AD&D and other "original" RPG's and "acquired" a whole new and "interesting" set of friends. :lol:

In summary....reading The Hobbit was a turning point for me way back then......and I've probably re-read it 25-30 times since. I share all this to get to the topic of the new movie.

Question is........is anyone anxiously awaiting the release of The Hobbit motion picture.........or are you like me, and are sensing a bit of dread that the motion picture industry will do a degree of "injustice" to that one work of literature that I've placed on a pedastel?

It did the same to me. I was a total LOTR nerd for quite a bit... I'm unsure how I feel about the movie. I think it'll be good, but not as good as the book. Needless to say I'll be seeing it as soon as it comes out!

Back
Top Bottom