• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The "God" Particle: it was just a burp, folks.

I've had 6L6 guitar amp power stages before, but the amps I still have laying around here are a 100W EL34 and a 100W KT88. I also have an old 70's Acoustic (brand) guitar combo amp - 200W. That Acoustic has 2 settings : Loud and Peel Paint. :)

I can't play anymore, so I really need to get that stuff up on reverb.com and sell it.

My (currently non-functioning) home audio system has a tube pre and a solid state power amp. It's actually a good combination. The power amp has tons of clean headroom and the pre gives the setup all the warmth and smoothness I could want. Well, I could always want more/better, but I can't afford to add more of that stuff right now. I need to get what I have fixed and working again. Until I do, I'm listening to music through the powered studio monitors on one of my computers.

Really REALLY SUCKS that you can't play anymore. I can still play my keyboards but my hearing ain't for **** these days so "monitoring" is becoming quite the challenge, but hey...Leon Russell was deaf as a post by the time he hit sixty and if he can do it, so can I.

At the rate I'm going, it might take me another two years to get that beautiful green Altec in proper shape.
Unfortunately they're all low on my totem pole because (A) I have an old car I want to get running, (B) I have a couple of very lovely amplifiers right now which, although solid state, are pretty nice, and (C) I'm probably lazier than I should be hahaha.

That's the title. :lol: Do you make conclusions out of reading headlines? :mrgreen:

Did you read the OP? Here's the first sentence:

Remember the big event announced by mainstream media when
science discovered a new particle called, the God Particle?

What's the issue? It's in the OP, too!

Well, mainstream media seemed to have
failed to give a heads up on what happened next.

Is it clear now?

hahahahaha Somebody needs a nap? :lamo

The Higgs Boson is the "God Particle." That's its nickname.

The "happened next" part... isn't that interesting.

The Higgs Boson is the "God Particle." That's its nickname.

The "happened next" part... isn't that interesting.

I know.

Remember the big event announced by mainstream media when science discovered a new particle called, the God Particle?

https://www.gotquestions.org/God-particle.html

Well, mainstream media seemed to have failed to give a heads up on what happened next.

https://www.telegram.com/news/20160806/disappointing-physics-news-god-particle-discovery-was-mistake
I didn't know it was a disappointment, until today.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/23/opinion/particle-physics-large-hadron-collider.html

I wonder how many billions or trillions of dollars will be wasted before honest researchers admit that global warming alarmism has been based upon ongoing faulty interpretations of limited cropped data and erroneous speculations motivated by bad bias unjustly called irrefutable science?

I wonder how many billions or trillions of dollars will be wasted before honest researchers admit that global warming alarmism has been based upon ongoing faulty interpretations of limited cropped data and erroneous speculations motivated by bad bias unjustly called irrefutable science?

Which part of this thread did you think was about global warming?

Which part of this thread did you think was about global warming?

The part where scientists finally admitted wasting billions of dollars on a bad theory.

Seemed appropriate for this thread.

There may be babblers, wholly ignorant of mathematics, who dare to condemn my hypothesis, upon the authority of some part of the Bible twisted to suit their purpose. I value them not, and scorn their unfounded judgment.

Nicolaus Copernicus, 1473 – 1543
Astronomer, Mathematician

"Media didn't talk about uninteresting thing?" And you're really mad for some reason.

I'm not mad. I'm criticising media for neglecting the follow-up!

If they found it interesting before (because of all the hopes that went with it).....lol, it should be interesting too, how it turned out. :shrug:

The part where scientists finally admitted wasting billions of dollars on a bad theory.

Listen. You lack the equipment to understand what the research at the LHC has done.

I'm not mad. I'm criticising media for neglecting the follow-up!

If they found it interesting before (because of all the hopes that went with it).....lol, it should be interesting too, how it turned out. :shrug:

"One experiment at the LHC turned up nothing other than a statistical error" isn't exactly front-page news.

"One experiment at the LHC turned up nothing other than a statistical error" isn't exactly front-page news.

Ten years in, the Large Hadron Collider has failed to deliver the exciting discoveries that scientists promised.

In 2012, experiments at the L.H.C. confirmed the discovery of the Higgs boson — a prediction that dates back to the 1960s — and it remains the only discovery made at the L.H.C.

Still.....

.....with all the hoopla there was when they discovered the higgs - there should've been a follow-up. :shrug:

Last edited:

It never happened; you completely made that up from whole clothe.

Still.....

.....with all the hoopla there was when they discovered the higgs - there should've been a follow-up. :shrug:

Please just admit that you were wrong and confused the speculative spin-1 particle with the Higgs boson. Your argument is incoherent and is fooling literally no one.

Still.....

The only discovery :lamo

It never happened; you completely made that up from whole clothe.

Let's just say the Super Collider was not a total waste. Some good workers got paid good wages for a long time to build it.

Please just admit that you were wrong and confused the speculative spin-1 particle with the Higgs boson. Your argument is incoherent and is fooling literally no one.

Yeah? So....can you name what other discovery they've made aside from the Higgs (using this collider)?

Put your money where your mouth is.

Go ahead. Name another discovery by this collider. <Whack!>
That's the gauntlet thrown at you. That's a direct challenge to you!

Because, if you can't....... then you're just another confused one.
The OP states clearly where I'm coming from. Prove me wrong.

The only discovery :lamo

Never mind the laughing. :lol: That's my part - I'm the one who'll be doing that.....:lamo

If you can, you would already have proven me wrong by giving us what other discovery was made using this collider. Why haven't you?

The same challenge goes to you, too.

Name another discovery by this collider. <Whack!>

I suppose we won't be hearing from the two of you for quite sometime.
You both got a lot of googling to do.

.......Or....maybe....you'll both just slink away.......

Last edited:
Yeah? So....can you name what other discovery they've made aside from the Higgs (using this collider)?

Because, if you can't....... then you're just another confused one.
The OP states clearly where I'm coming from. Prove me wrong.

Never mind the laughing. :lol: That's my part - I'm the one who'll be doing that.....:lamo

If you can, you would already have proven me wrong by giving us what other discovery was made using this collider. Why haven't you?

The same challenge goes to you, too.

Name another discovery by this collider. <Whack!>

I suppose we won't be hearing from the two of you for quite sometime.
You both got a lot of googling to do.

.......Or....maybe....you'll both just slink away.......

Like you slinked away from your own thread title? It clearly says the "god particle" was a burp. It wasn't. It was identified. You tried to spin this as all along you meant that something else had been shown to be a burp. Laughable.

The LHC has also discovered several tetraquarks, and an apparent state of matter called quark-gluon plasma. And whatever "CP-violating decays" are.

The CLOUD experiment has gathered data on how cosmic rays influence cloud formation.

And it has confirmed a lot about the Standard Model. It's a "discovery" in that large parts of the standard model were verified with nothing unexpected coming up. That's useful also.

So, run the **** along now, and take your goalposts with you.

I was showing the excitement over it at the time!

Except for the difference in style of writing - can you show exactly what's different between the Telegram.com and Independent.com, as far as info is concerned.

Who's saying the Higgs wasn't discovered????

Since you say "there's a lot that's wrong with her article" - what are they?
Can you offer anything to support your claim?
Surely you don't expect anyone to just take your word for it, huh?

Exactly what is your point?

Physicists doing physcis, they try to explian what it is they are doing to the rest of us and how excited they are about stuff which leads to the use of odd and dramatic language by some.

Yeah, so what?

Exactly what is your point?

Physicists doing physcis, they try to explian what it is they are doing to the rest of us and how excited they are about stuff which leads to the use of odd and dramatic language by some.

Yeah, so what?

Now watch me lose my **** over excitement in AGW discussions.

Like you slinked away from your own thread title? It clearly says the "god particle" was a burp. It wasn't. It was identified. You tried to spin this as all along you meant that something else had been shown to be a burp. Laughable.

The LHC has also discovered several tetraquarks, and an apparent state of matter called quark-gluon plasma. And whatever "CP-violating decays" are.

The CLOUD experiment has gathered data on how cosmic rays influence cloud formation.

And it has confirmed a lot about the Standard Model. It's a "discovery" in that large parts of the standard model were verified with nothing unexpected coming up. That's useful also.

So, run the **** along now, and take your goalposts with you.

Not so fast!

But the detection only had a significance of over 3 standard deviations. The usual threshold to claim the discovery of a new particle is 5 standard deviations.

It will take future observations to either confirm or disprove the existence of Zc-(4100).
https://www.sciencealert.com/cern-l...-bottom-baryon-particles-tetraquark-candidate

I suppose, if the pressure is really on - like this kind of pressure below:

Not found: Any evidence for additional particles. There's no sugar-coating this one: this was perhaps the greatest hope of most physicists. New particles at scales between 100 GeV and ~2 TeV were sorely hoped for, and at various times, some statistically suggestive evidence emerged for a few candidates. Unfortunately, with more and better data, this tentative evidence evaporated, and now, with Run I and Run II complete, there are not even any good suggestions of where such a new particle might be.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/starts...ggs-what-else-has-the-lhc-found/#702ad495552c

.......they'll claim to discover just about anything!:lamo

There are conflicting reports out there - we don't know who's spinning what! No pun intended.

If indeed that's true, that they'd truly discovered these particles called baryons - well, good for them.
At least now, they can really have something to support lobbying to build a much bigger - and more expensive - collider! :mrgreen:

Btw, discovering something "useful" like what you said above, is nice. But my article in the OP wasn't talking about discovering anything "useful." they're talking about discovering something exciting!
Whatever they mean by that! Maybe, the proof that there is no God.

Ten years in, the Large Hadron Collider has failed to deliver the exciting discoveries that scientists promised.

I don't know why some folks here suddenly got triggered by the title, which was explained in the OP. :shrug:

Last edited:
can you name what other discovery they've made aside from the Higgs (using this collider)?
• Creation of quark-gluon plasma
• χb (3P) bottomonium state
• At least 1 other boson discovered
• decay of B[SUB]s[/SUB] bosons
• discovery of at least two baryons
• discovery of at least two exotic hadrons
• discovery of multiple tetraquarks
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_Hadron_Collider#Findings_and_discoveries

They're also upgrading the LHC, which will likely produce several more discoveries.

And we should keep in mind that finding the Higgs, and understanding some of its properties, is huge.

Unsurprisingly, not everyone agrees with Sabine Hossenfelder about the LHC. When dealing with something this complicated, even failure is a result.
https://slate.com/technology/2019/01/large-hadron-collider-failure-particle-physics-research.html

Next time, you should do at least 30 seconds of research, instead of taking op-eds at face value.

Which was immediately proven wrong, so you shift the goal post again

Btw, discovering something "useful" like what you said above, is nice. But my article in the OP wasn't talking about discovering anything "useful." they're talking about discovering something exciting!

So tl;dr:

You: "The Higgs wasn't discovered."
Me: "Yes, it was."
You: "Yeah the Higgs was discovered, but what about stuff beyond the Higgs?"
Others: "There's like 10 different discoveries the LHC made, including some particles."
You: "Yeah, they discovered new particles, but were any of them exciting?"

Yes. Now then, I accept all three of your concessions. Please exit stage left now.

Back
Top Bottom