• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The False Teachings Of The Jehovah's Witnesses

Earlier in life I had sat down with a couple of JW's trading viewpoints. In their NWT "Bible" they still had the Holy Spirit as a "He" in John 14:26. I pointed that verse out to them to show them in their own Bible that the Holy Spirit was a person, not just some kind of a 'force'. For the record, John 14:26 states,

"But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you." NKJV

It was a "HE" back then in their own NWT.

It went right over their heads. And then I told them that I believed it wouldn't be long until the JW's changed the "HE" to an "it" or some other word or term so that the HE would be gone. Sure enough, some time later they changed it to the following:

"But the helper, the holy spirit, which the Father will send in my name, that one will teach YOU all things and bring back to YOUR minds all the things I told YOU." - John 14:26 NWT.

The JW's are just like liberals in that regard - changing pronouns, etc. They just can't help themselves. And they've done a lot of those ill-conceived changes in their NWT.

Misconceptions about the holy spirit

Misconception: The “Holy Ghost,” or holy spirit, is a person and is part of the Trinity, as stated at 1 John 5:7, 8 in the King James version of the Bible.

Fact: The King James version of the Bible includes at 1 John 5:7, 8 the words “in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. And there are three that bear witness in earth.” However, researchers have found that those words were not written by the apostle John and so do not belong in the Bible. Professor Bruce M. Metzger wrote: “That these words are spurious and have no right to stand in the New Testament is certain.”—A Textual Commentary on the Greek New Testament.

Misconception: The Bible personifies the holy spirit, and this proves that it is a person.

Fact: The Scriptures do at times personify the holy spirit, but this does not prove that the holy spirit is a person. The Bible also personifies wisdom, death, and sin. (Proverbs 1:20; Romans 5:17, 21) For example, wisdom is said to have “works” and “children,” and sin is depicted as seducing, killing, and working out covetousness.—Matthew 11:19; Luke 7:35; Romans 7:8, 11.

Similarly, when the apostle John quoted Jesus, he personified the holy spirit as a “helper” (paraclete) that would give evidence, guide, speak, hear, declare, glorify, and receive. He used masculine personal pronouns such as “he” or “him” when referring to that “helper.” (John 16:7-15) However, he did so because the Greek word for “helper” (pa·raʹkle·tos) is a masculine noun and requires a masculine pronoun according to the rules of Greek grammar. When John referred to the holy spirit using the neuter noun pneuʹma, he used the genderless pronoun “it.”—John 14:16, 17.

Misconception: Baptism in the name of the holy spirit proves that it is a person.

Fact: The Bible sometimes uses “name” to stand for power or authority. (Deuteronomy 18:5, 19-22; Esther 8:10) This is similar to its use in the English expression “in the name of the law,” which does not mean that the law is a person. A person who is baptized “in the name of” the holy spirit recognizes the power and role of the holy spirit in accomplishing God’s will.—Matthew 28:19.

Misconception: Jesus’ apostles and other early disciples believed that the holy spirit was a person.

Fact: The Bible does not say that, nor does history. The Encyclopædia Britannica states: “The definition that the Holy Spirit was a distinct divine Person . . . came at the Council of Constantinople in ad 381.” This was over 250 years after the last of the apostles had died.
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/502014219?q=spirit+is+not+a+person&p=sen

The organization that calls itself, “Jehovah's Witnesses,” is just one among many religions that teach false teachings, and would not have merited an in-depth topic about it .....however, it is one of the most actively tenacious proselytizers,
using the name of Christianity. In that regard, it is one of the most, if not the most dangerous modern-day cult there is.

If someone out there seeks religion, a good question would be to ask yourself: why?
What is your purpose?

If your purpose is to have all that is promised by the Christian God – eternal life with God that comes with salvation – then, you owe it to yourself to dig deeper, and heed the numerous warnings that are in the Scriptures
about false teachings, and wolves in sheep's clothings.

When we really think about it, there are only two important things to remember: FAITH IN CHRIST, and OBEDIENCE.
Those two, come together.

John 11
25 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die;
26 and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”

..................”who BELIEVES IN ME.....,” is a simple and yet, quite loaded statement.

Believing in Christ means, you accept HIM and everything He taught, and believe what He claims about Himself as THE TRUTH.
There is nothing that needs to be edited, or “sanitized” with what He said. There s nothing for us to correct about Him.
And yet, in numerous cases that's what's JW seems to be doing about Jesus Christ. Downplaying Him. Editing Him. Correcting Him.

That is important. If we are to obey Christ and preach to nations, we have to do as precisely as we can, as He instructed:

Matthew 28
19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

What are the features of THE TRUE Christian religion?
It does not contradict or gets into conflict with any message in the Bible.
It is consistent with the message in the Scriptures.
Since the Scriptures can stand on its own, the true religion can HONESTLY stand to scrutiny as well, and can HONESTLY defend itself thru the Scriptures.
It is our GOD-given tool!

2 Tim 3
16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,
17 so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

JW disciples are indoctrinated with their own man-made bible which is named, New World Translation, along with various media that are created by the organization. Among them, The WatchTower magazine.
It is said that they are forbidden to read any other religion-based materials by outside sources.
It is said that JW holds regular “book studies,” where-in its disciples are constantly exposed to counter CHRISTIAN teachings, so much so that it is also said, an average Jehovah's Witnesess disciple can easily clobber
an average Christian defending his Christian belief.

It is the purpose of this thread to EXPOSE the lies, and bring them to light...... through the Word of God.
It is the purpose of this thread to warn others from being led astray by the false teachings of the Jehovah's Witnesses.
It is the purpose of this thread to reach out to JW disciples, and provide them with points of direction.........that they may hopefully, see and hear............and, stop the spread of lies.

JW apologists are welcomed to correct any mistakes or misconceptions about their belief or organizations.

What are the false teachings of the JW? It's hard to decide which among the many should be given first. There are so many false teachings to unpack. Some teachings may seem so petty, but upon closer look,
they are equally devastating to one's understanding of the Gospel and the Bible, and lead one to confusion, and detrimentally, to erode one's faith in God (which is the intention of the devil).

These are the false teachings of the Jehovah's Witnesses, not necessarily in any order or ranking.

They're all false. JH is just a different flavor of false.

Earlier in life I had sat down with a couple of JW's trading viewpoints. In their NWT "Bible" they still had the Holy Spirit as a "He" in John 14:26. I pointed that verse out to them to show them in their own Bible that the Holy Spirit was a person, not just some kind of a 'force'. For the record, John 14:26 states,

"But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you." NKJV

It was a "HE" back then in their own NWT.

It went right over their heads. And then I told them that I believed it wouldn't be long until the JW's changed the "HE" to an "it" or some other word or term so that the HE would be gone. Sure enough, some time later they changed it to the following:

"But the helper, the holy spirit, which the Father will send in my name, that one will teach YOU all things and bring back to YOUR minds all the things I told YOU." - John 14:26 NWT.

The JW's are just like liberals in that regard - changing pronouns, etc. They just can't help themselves. And they've done a lot of those ill-conceived changes in their NWT.

Great explanation. I learned from that.
You should get that info to Elora.

Post #513

Oh, lol! I looked up, and she's here too! hahahahaha

You've been avoiding this for too long, but since you've come to this thread..............................are you ready to answer this question now?

Which is the truth between these two?

Obviously, these two directly contradicts each other.
They both can't be the truth!

Which one is the truth?

This?

Isaiah 43
10 “You are my witnesses,” declares the Lord,
“and my servant whom I have chosen,

so that you may know and believe me
and understand that I am he.

Before me no god was formed,
nor will there be one after me.

11 I, even I, am the Lord,

and apart from me there is no savior.

Or............................ this passage by JW NWT, which has added to the Bible, and turned Jesus Christ into a "created god?"

John 1
In the beginning was the Word,a and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god.

https://www.jw.org/en/library/bible/study-bible/books/john/1/

Who's telling the Truth?
GOD, or JW?

Lol - I hope you don't try to weasel out of answering it, by claiming you're going to be busy helping Overitall with his brick wall! :ROFLMAO:

A person seeking the truth of what Jesus taught when he was on the earth would no more go to the Pharisees and Sadducees seeking answers, than a person would go to Christendom today to seek what Jehovah's Witnesses teach...they would go to the source if they were earnestly seeking the truth instead of lies...

https://www.jw.org/en/

.....................................unless, they fall prey to false preachers.

If it were all that simple, there wouldn't be many warnings about false teachings in the Scriptures, and there wouldn't be warnings of severe punishment to false preachers!

Lol - who's knocking on doors? JW!
So you saying, you're knocking on doors not to spread your doctirne - but, just to annoy people? :ROFLMAO:

Besides, what's the point of being commissioned to spread the Word, if all that's required for seekers of God is to go to the ............................."source?"
How do you know what the source is, if no one has told you about it?

You talk gibberish!
How do you know which is the lie? Isn't that the point?

Lol - they could just as easily start kneeling in front of trees if they see others doing it - thinking that might be the "source!" :)

Mark 6
34 And Jesus, when he came out, saw much people, and was moved with compassion toward them, because they were as sheep not having a shepherd: and he began to teach them many things.

Last edited:
If JW believes Jesus is a god, what makes them different than those who worship multiple gods?

Is Jesus to JW as the god Poseidon was to ancient Greek religion?
Is Jesus a god of Jehovah, just as Poseidon was a god of Zeus?

To make it convenient for those interested, here's a recap of what had been given:

#2 Trinity (Triune God)
#3 JW changes phrase of Genesis 1
#4 False Teaching: Soul Dies With Physical Body; Adam and Eve
#5 Continuation Soul Dies With Physical Body; Jesus is God (Omnipresence)
#13 “Believing In Jesus Christ” – what it means
#18 JW changes John 1:1 and contradicts Isaiah 43:10
#21 Why is it dangerous?
# 24 Wasn't Jesus called a leader of a cult?/Comparison to altering Harry Potter

#27, 28, 29, 30 Jesus Is The Archangel Michael
#40 Why don't JW celebrate Christmas?
#40 Continuation Jesus is the Archangel Michael
#41, 42, 43 Why Don't Jehovah's Witnesses Celebrate Christmas?
#44 Addendum: Jesus Christ Is The Archangel Michael

#45 Article (9 Things You Should Know About JW) – thanks to LittleNipper
#46 10 Questions To Ask a JW (thanks to LittleNipper)
#50 Video – JW misquoting Greek scholar, Julius Mantey
#51 Explanation of the Spirit (thanks to Logicman)
#57 Challenge Question repeated to Elora (which has been avoided in another thread).
#58 Rebuttal

JW: No BODILY Resurrection For Jesus.

First of all, before we get to analyze JW's arguments, what happened to the body of Jesus in the tomb?
And, the explanation given is that, HIS BODY IS GONE!
"He is not here. He has risen."

Mark 16
2 And very early on the first day of the week, they *came to the tomb when the sun had risen.
3 They were saying to one another, “Who will roll away the stone from the entrance of the tomb for us?”

4 And looking up, they *noticed that the stone had been rolled away; [b]for it was extremely large. 5 And entering the tomb, they saw a young man sitting at the right, wearing a white robe; and they were amazed.
6 But he *said to them, “Do not be amazed; you are looking for Jesus the Nazarene, who has been crucified. He has risen; He is not here; see, here is the place where they laid Him.

Luke 24
4 While they were perplexed about this, behold, two men suddenly stood near them in gleaming clothing;
5 and as the women were terrified and bowed their faces to the ground, the men said to them,
“Why are you seeking the living One among the dead?
6 He is not here, but He has risen. Remember how He spoke to you while He was still in Galilee,
7 saying that the Son of Man must be handed over to sinful men, and be crucified, and on the third day rise from the dead.”

The tomb is where His physical body was laid.
What's missing is His physical body!
That's what they're talking about.................................HIS PHYSICAL BODY!
That's what the women were looking for: HIS DEAD BODY!!

If Jesus did not rise up physically - then, why is His body gone?

Last edited:
God raised him on the third day and made him manifest; not to all the people but to us who were chosen by God as witnesses, who ate and drank with him after he rose from the dead (Acts 10:40-41). also eat with him (Acts 1:4) and they drink as well (Acts 10:41).

SO, do spirits eat and drink?

First of all, before we get to analyze JW's arguments, what happened to the body of Jesus in the tomb?
And, the explanation given is that, HIS BODY IS GONE!
"He is not here. He has risen."

Mark 16
2 And very early on the first day of the week, they *came to the tomb when the sun had risen.
3 They were saying to one another, “Who will roll away the stone from the entrance of the tomb for us?”

4 And looking up, they *noticed that the stone had been rolled away; [b]for it was extremely large. 5 And entering the tomb, they saw a young man sitting at the right, wearing a white robe; and they were amazed.
6 But he *said to them, “Do not be amazed; you are looking for Jesus the Nazarene, who has been crucified. He has risen; He is not here; see, here is the place where they laid Him.

Luke 24
4 While they were perplexed about this, behold, two men suddenly stood near them in gleaming clothing;
5 and as the women were terrified and bowed their faces to the ground, the men said to them,
“Why are you seeking the living One among the dead?
6 He is not here, but He has risen. Remember how He spoke to you while He was still in Galilee,
7 saying that the Son of Man must be handed over to sinful men, and be crucified, and on the third day rise from the dead.”

The tomb is where His physical body was laid.
What's missing is His physical body!
That's what they're talking about.................................HIS PHYSICAL BODY!
That's what the women were looking for: HIS DEAD BODY!!

If Jesus did not rise up physically - then, why is His body gone?

We don't know where the bodies are of most people from ancient history. Were they all gods?

We don't know where the bodies are of most people from ancient history. Were they all gods?

If you're going to participate in this discussion, kindly stick to the topic.
You've got to have some basic knowledge of the New Testament - particularly in this specific issue of Jesus' bodily resurrection.

Read the title of this thread.
Obviously, it's within the paradigm of the Scriptures, since it's pointing out the false teachings being taught by JW in distorting and corrupting the Bible.
Please, respond accordingly.

https://www.jw.org/en/bible-teachings/questions/jesus-body/

Actually, the scenario and verses pertaining to the missing body of Christ had already busted ALL the arguments of JW.
The tomb of Jesus - the place where His body has been laid - it all starts there!

Mark 16:6
........you are looking for Jesus the Nazarene, who has been crucified. He has risen; He is not here; see, here is the place where they laid Him

Luke 24:6
5....“Why are you seeking the living One among the dead?

6 He is not here, but He has risen.

The message of the angel clearly states Jesus has risen - BODILY - from the dead!
That is why His body is nowhere to be found in the tomb!

HE GOT UP!
HE LEFT!

Last edited:

https://www.jw.org/en/bible-teachings/questions/jesus-body/

Not only was His body gone................

WHY WAS THE STONE MOVED IF JESUS HAD RISEN AS A SPIRIT?

A spirit can just go through it.....................right?

Luke 24
30 And it came about, when He had reclined at the table with them, that He took the bread and blessed it, and He broke it and began giving it to them.
31 And then their eyes were opened and they recognized Him; and He vanished from their sight.

John 20
19 Now when it was evening on that day, the first day of the week, and when the doors were shut where the disciples were together due to fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in their midst, and *said to them, “Peace be to you.”

Those verses do not negate the fact that He rose BODILY from the dead.
It's the body that He's been using appearing to them as man, is it not?
Didn't Thomas touched His wounds?
He has use for His mortal body - and, He's using it!

Jesus was displaying supernatural powers.
He is God - nothing is impossible with Him.
🤷

Why do you think the apostles became so overwhelmingly confident and brave after that? They no longer feared persecution and death?
Because they saw, and understood who Jesus is!

Didn't Thomas blurt out in front of everyone, for all to hear:

John 20:28
Thomas answered him, “My Lord and my God!”

It all makes sense!

Last edited:
If you're going to participate in this discussion, kindly stick to the topic.
You've got to have some basic knowledge of the New Testament - particularly in this specific issue of Jesus' bodily resurrection.

Read the title of this thread.
Obviously, it's within the paradigm of the Scriptures, since it's pointing out the false teachings being taught by JW in distorting and corrupting the Bible.
Please, respond accordingly.

I’m pointing out the obvious flaw in the logic. Just because we don’t have the body of an ancient person, that doesn’t mean they ascended to Heaven.

I’m pointing out the obvious flaw in the logic. Just because we don’t have the body of an ancient person, that doesn’t mean they ascended to Heaven.
"But I tell you this, brothers, that flesh and blood cannot inherit God’s Kingdom"...think about it...was Jesus resurrected with his fleshly body? If so, when did he switch?

"But I tell you this, brothers, that flesh and blood cannot inherit God’s Kingdom"...think about it...was Jesus resurrected with his fleshly body? If so, when did he switch?
The assertion that flesh and blood cannot enter the kingdom of heaven is probably better phrased, flesh and blood as it presently exists and alone cannot enter the kingdom of heaven. The key to entrance into the kingdom is a new life found only through faith in JESUS. It is this new life that allows the transformation of our physical bodies into a new type of body which JESUS originated when HE arose.

After Jesus’ Resurrection, Was His Body Flesh or Spirit?

The Bible’s answer

The Bible says that Jesus “was put to death in the flesh but made alive [resurrected] in the spirit.”—1 Peter 3:18; Acts 13:34; 1 Corinthians 15:45; 2 Corinthians 5:16.
Jesus’ own words showed that he would not be resurrected with his flesh-and-blood body. He said that he would give his “flesh in behalf of the life of the world,” as a ransom for mankind. (John 6:51; Matthew 20:28) If he had taken back his flesh when he was resurrected, he would have canceled that ransom sacrifice. This could not have happened, though, for the Bible says that he sacrificed his flesh and blood “once for all time.”—Hebrews 9:11, 12.

If Jesus was raised up with a spirit body, how could his disciples see him?

• Spirit creatures can take on human form. For example, angels who did this in the past even ate and drank with humans. (Genesis 18:1-8; 19:1-3) However, they still were spirit creatures and could leave the physical realm.—Judges 13:15-21.
  • After his resurrection, Jesus also assumed human form temporarily, just as angels had previously done. As a spirit creature, though, he was able to appear and disappear suddenly. (Luke 24:31; John 20:19, 26) The fleshly bodies that he materialized were not identical from one appearance to the next. Thus, even Jesus’ close friends recognized him only by what he said or did.—Luke 24:30, 31, 35; John 20:14-16; 21:6, 7.
  • When Jesus appeared to the apostle Thomas, he took on a body with wound marks. He did this to bolster Thomas’ faith, since Thomas doubted that Jesus had been raised up.—John 20:24-29.
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/502015203

Luke 24:39 "See My hands and My feet, that it is I Myself; touch Me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have."
First some brief points;

1. Jesus (meaning the man who lived upon this earth) is now immortal - he wasn't before death (neither was HE before being born through Mary a human) - now he cannot die again.
  2. He has been raised into a new spirit life.
  3. He now has life as the Father has life within himself! John 5:26
  4. He can also give life to others - raising them. John 17:2
  5. We will be like Jesus when we are raised. 1 John 3:2
  6. Jesus is OF spirit - but not A spirit??
It seems HE has a 'body' - that does not need physical things to live - although he can clearly eat etc. This body is not a manifestation but actual, with an ability to move outside of time /space constraints. He said he will drink wine again in the kingdom Luke 22:18.

2 Cor 13:4 For he was crucified in weakness but lives by the power of God
1 Peter 3:18 For Christ also suffered for sins once for all... He was put to death in the body but made alive in the spirit, John 20:19-20 Peace be with you.” And when He had said this, He showed them both His hands and His side
The Question centers on this. How can we better define Jesus and the 'spirit' he has now and has had since being raised from death?

Romans 8:11 and if the Spirit of Him who did raise up Jesus out of the dead doth dwell in you, He who did raise up the Christ out of the dead shall quicken also your dying bodies, through His Spirit dwelling in you.
Jesus was given eternal life at his resurrection. Notice also, Paul is talking to the brethren - who are alive (obviously) yet he says God will give 'life' to their (mortal/dying) bodies

Jesus was given eternal life at his resurrection.
Correct, which means he cannot be God because God has always been eternal...

"Before the mountains were born
Or you brought forth the earth and the productive land,
From everlasting to everlasting, you are God." Psalm 90:2

OTOH, Jesus is "the beginning of the creation by God" Revelation 3:14

Correct, which means he cannot be God because God has always been eternal...

"Before the mountains were born
Or you brought forth the earth and the productive land,
From everlasting to everlasting, you are God." Psalm 90:2

OTOH, Jesus is "the beginning of the creation by God" Revelation 3:14
The CHRIST had emptied HIMSELF in order to assume a true HUMAN form and be born to a virgin in Bethlehem according to the GOD inspired prophetic scriptures. And WHO brought forth the earth according to JW doctine? CHRIST!

The CHRIST had emptied HIMSELF in order to assume a true HUMAN form and be born to a virgin in Bethlehem according to the GOD inspired prophetic scriptures. And WHO brought forth the earth according to JW doctine? CHRIST!
Keep on believing your contradictions and there are plenty...my beliefs are straight from Scripture...

Keep on believing your contradictions and there are plenty...my beliefs are straight from Scripture...
That is just it. YOUR beliefs are straight from THE WATCHTOWER and AWAKE. You take scripture out of context and ignore scripture you don't understand. You make the same mistake of the Mormons who try to reduce GOD to some super human that can be totally explained. You don't accept the GODHEAD because it doesn't fit the doctrine of your exclusive manmade religion.

Back
Top Bottom