• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Texas' 6-Week Abortion Ban Takes Effect

Dragonfly

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Great News! Too bad the ban doesn't take effect in the first minute, but this is a great victory for innocent lives in the womb!

And the great part about the law, is that if any abortion clinic violates the law there are now real consequences.

Now more states will follow suit. Roe V Wade will be effectively MOOT as now abortion laws will be back in the hands of the states. And the good states like Texas will get it right.

Great News! Too bad the ban doesn't take effect in the first minute, but this is a great victory for innocent lives in the womb!
As if any one on the pro-birth side gives a **** about "innocent lives in the womb."

Texas' 6-Week Abortion Ban Takes Effect Overnight - https://www.npr.org/2021/09/01/1033171800/texas-abortion-ban-supreme-court-

Here we go.

I thought this was unconstitutional? I thought the SCOTUS would step in and prevent this?

I wouldn’t be heartbroken at all if Texas ever decided to secede.

If course this opens the door for the true morons of the south, Mississippi and others, to follow suit.

Idiocy.
I love it. Good bye Roe vs Wade. The fat lady is warming up.

The lack of judicial intervention means that the law -- which is one of the strictest in the nation and bans abortion before many people know they are pregnant -- goes into force absent further court intervention.

The case comes as the justices are poised in the upcoming term to rule on the constitutionality of a Mississippi law that bars abortion at 15 weeks.

Why do they want to rule on one law but not the other? An abortion ban is an abortion ban no matter how old the embryo or fetus is.

Texas may be too smart for it’s own good. They’re banking on the fact that since they’re not enforcing the ban but allowing private people to sue the law will not be struck down.

However to sue someone you need to prove you’ve been harmed. Aside from fathers who disagree with the abortion it’s hard to see how some random person is harmed by a woman’s choice to get an abortion. So it’s hard for me to see how virtually anyone could win and by extension how the law can stand.

All the SC did was refuse to delay implementation pending current lawsuits. That’s bad - it sucks - but I have a feeling the law won’t have legs.

In the meantime Texans should vote those assholes out.

And the great part about the law, is that if any abortion clinic violates the law there are now real consequences.

Now more states will follow suit. Roe V Wade will be effectively MOOT as now abortion laws will be back in the hands of the states. And the good states like Texas will get it right.
Except this law violates women's constitutional rights, so it is not great news. Maybe women can vote a law into working that all men should be castrated at age 16 and only with saved sperm are allowed to have children. Or is that against the rights of men?

Cue 18 years from now when all the conservative start bitching about these hoodlums who weren't raised well and are maladjusted.

And pro-choicers respond by saying that “hoodlums” should’ve been killed in the womb for the betterment of society?

And pro-choicers respond by saying that “hoodlums” should’ve been killed in the womb for the betterment of society?
Women who are not ready to be mothers should be able to make that choice. If this sort of thing stands, a lot of orphanages are going to have their hands full.

On a personal note, it might be good for me since I am probably going to try to adopt in the next couple of years.

Except this law violates women's constitutional rights, so it is not great news. Maybe women can vote a law into working that all men should be castrated at age 16 and only with saved sperm are allowed to have children. Or is that against the rights of men?

That’s not a parallel analogy.

If this kind of legal vigilantism stands, I wonder how long until everyone's pet causes that generate any sort of controversy are targeted.

Is there a private cause of action to sue a gun shop for selling a gun used in a crime? Always fear the unintended consequence of foolish laws...

Is there a private cause of action to sue a gun shop for selling a gun used in a crime? Always fear the unintended consequence of foolish laws...

No need for all that. Make owning a firearm illegal, without a mechanism for State enforcement, and just allow people to sue someone for owning a firearm.

Texas may be too smart for it’s own good. They’re banking on the fact that since they’re not enforcing the ban but allowing private people to sue the law will not be struck down.

However to sue someone you need to prove you’ve been harmed. Aside from fathers who disagree with the abortion it’s hard to see how some random person is harmed by a woman’s choice to get an abortion. So it’s hard for me to see how virtually anyone could win and by extension how the law can stand.

All the SC did was refuse to delay implementation pending current lawsuits. That’s bad - it sucks - but I have a feeling the law won’t have legs.

It's a money thing.

Anti-abortion groups will provide the legal filings and flood abortion clinics with law suits from "individuals" that have to be defended in court. The intent is to bankrupt the clinics.

WW

isn't it? Is it not that this law violates a woman's right to body integrity and making her own medical decisions?

This isn’t just about the woman’s body. There’s another human involved. There is no parallel analogy to men since only women are able to carry another human.

This isn’t just about the woman’s body. There’s another human involved. There is no parallel analogy to men since only women are able to carry another human.
Yeah that is nonsense, there is just one human being involved, there is just one person with rights and that is the woman. There is no other person involved, just the woman. It is her uterus, her decision and her right.

Yeah that is nonsense, there is just one human being involved, there is just one person with rights and that is the woman. There is no other person involved, just the woman. It is her uterus, her decision and her right.

No, there are two humans. Only one has rights, yes.

It's a money thing.

Anti-abortion groups will provide the legal filings and flood abortion clinics with law suits from "individuals" that have to be defended in court. The intent is to bankrupt the clinics.

WW

Studies have shown that when clinics close, more women attempt to terminate their pregnancies on their own. When women try to perform abortions without a medical professional, more of them have serious complications .
or die.

Expect more hospitalizations and deaths from illegal or self induced abortions.

Welcome back to the damage and deaths of women that took thousands of women’s life’s before Roe.

Last edited:
Women who are not ready to be mothers should be able to make that choice. If this sort of thing stands, a lot of orphanages are going to have their hands full.

On a personal note, it might be good for me since I am probably going to try to adopt in the next couple of years.

Actually, only one percent of women in the US give a newborn up for adoption.

It’s more likely there will be a lot more single mothers who will need more welfare money and will be more likely to ignore and love or even care about their little ones.

Back
Top Bottom