• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Teaching Math

Kids in the U.S. are not doing well in mathematics. After pondering over this and thought of other tools to better help students understand the science behind mathematics. I came up with one that I thought would help with geometry and physics by providing billiard tables somewhere in the middle and highs school because to be successful in playing a game of pool, it requires an understanding of geometry and the science of physics. Just a thought.

10 best math apps for Android for better math skills​

I remember listening to some of my classmates in grade school. They were complaining about word problems. I thought they were fun. The kids that like math need to be found at an early age and provided with educational tools. There were no tablets more powerful than 1980s mainframes when I was 10 years old.

Every heard of PLATO software?

There should be software better than mediocre math teachers today, but do you really believe educators want to make the best use of technology?

This reminds me students in class. Of course, this is after going over the math with the class, showing them how to do it, etc. Answering questions, etc. Then you get to the kids that are still lost, all good... that happens, you go to do the one on one work with them, re-work the math for them, discuss it with them and them and you might even give them the answer in another question (you will understand after you see video - and say, if you are going 60mph it will take you one hour to go 60 miles and explain why, etc... then say if you are going 80mph how long will it take you to go 80 miles and you get this kind of crap... and this could be after a couple of lessons and you just sit there thinking... nothing will help this kid. LOL

Metric time or real time?

Mind blowing would be asking the average speed if you did the first half at 60 mph and the second half at 40 mph. (Since there are two possible answers)

Yep, that depends on whether you used half of the trip’s distance or half of the trip’s travel time to define half of the trip.

Kids in the U.S. are not doing well in mathematics. After pondering over this and thought of other tools to better help students understand the science behind mathematics. I came up with one that I thought would help with geometry and physics by providing billiard tables somewhere in the middle and highs school because to be successful in playing a game of pool, it requires an understanding of geometry and the science of physics. Just a thought.
What percent of our students actually need to have higher level proficiency in mathematics to fit the needs of the labor market?

What percent of our students actually need to have higher level proficiency in mathematics to fit the needs of the labor market?

This question is based on the Prussian model, where children are molded by the state to be good little obedient workers for the "needs of the labor market".

Anyway, the girl in the video is literally a victim of government-run schools. Us taxpayers have also been fleeced, since we easily paid north of 100k for her "education".

My goal is to average a mile a minute (60 mph) on very long drives with all stops included. We have one in early October going east 780 miles; 13 hours total plus the hour lost going to eastern time. Leave at 5:00 AM and make motel at 7:00 PM.
When I was driving from LI to Bloomington IN to visit my daughter at Indiana U that’s basically what I did. It’s about an 800 mile trip and I’d figure on 13 hours including 45 minutes for breakfast a bit east of Pittsburgh and 2 additional fuel/bathroom stops. We’d leave at 3am to get through NYC with a minimum of fuss and we’d be at the hotel in time to unpack, shower and catch our breath before meeting our daughter for dinner.

Is needing it for a job the only criteria?

Yeah, workers are supposed to be brainwashed dummies. 700 year old double-entry accounting is too complicated for them.

If that had been mandatory in the schools since Sputnik how different would economics be by now? Why hasn't accounting/finance been mandatory in schools since Sputnik?

This question is based on the Prussian model, where children are molded by the state to be good little obedient workers for the "needs of the labor market".

Anyway, the girl in the video is literally a victim of government-run schools. Us taxpayers have also been fleeced, since we easily paid north of 100k for her "education".
Maybe the system should focus on individuals INTERESTS & ABILITIES. The reality is the current cookie cutter approach to education we employ takes too long and costs too much.

Is needing it for a job the only criteria?
It's clearly the most practical and arguably the most important. Let me ask you this, would you rather be a well rounded polymath who spent an additional 8-12 years in classrooms raking up $300,000 of debt, or someone who spent an additional 2 years in school learning a skill that provides you with a good paying career?

It's clearly the most practical and arguably the most important. Let me ask you this, would you rather be a well rounded polymath who spent an additional 8-12 years in classrooms raking up $300,000 of debt, or someone who spent an additional 2 years in school learning a skill that provides you with a good paying career?
I’m not talking about being a polymath. I’m talking about a well rounded education that gives someone a good grounding in math and science, critical thinking, history and literature. What used to be called a liberal arts education. That along with employable skills can be had in 4 years. 8-12 years is more than it takes to get a PhD.

Aside from making you a more well rounded person and giving youvthe skills to become a polymath on your own it’s difficult to function well in modern society without critical thinking skills at a minimum.

I’m not talking about being a polymath. I’m talking about a well rounded education that gives someone a good grounding in math and science, critical thinking, history and literature. What used to be called a liberal arts education. That along with employable skills can be had in 4 years. 8-12 years is more than it takes to get a PhD.

Aside from making you a more well rounded person and giving youvthe skills to become a polymath on your own it’s difficult to function well in modern society without critical thinking skills at a minimum.
First, the typical student is provided a well rounded education from K to 8th grade, and then another 4 years in high school. How much more is needed? Second the number of years and the different subjects one needs is highly subjectivity. Third, if the additional 4 years of liberal arts education is so vital what do you say of those who go to trade schools, or work in a family business for example? Finally, it didn't seem like dropping out college hurt people like Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, or Mark Zuckerberg, to name a few.

First, the typical student is provided a well rounded education from K to 8th grade, and then another 4 years in high school. How much more is needed? Second the number of years and the different subjects one needs is highly subjectivity. Third, if the additional 4 years of liberal arts education is so vital what do you say of those who go to trade schools, or work in a family business for example?

What good is 4 years of English literature?
We never talked about Shakespeare at IBM.
Why not mandatory accounting so people know to not buy consumer trash designed to depreciate?

First, the typical student is provided a well rounded education from K to 8th grade, and then another 4 years in high school. How much more is needed? Second the number of years and the different subjects one needs is highly subjectivity. Third, if the additional 4 years of liberal arts education is so vital what do you say of those who go to trade schools, or work in a family business for example? Finally, it didn't seem like dropping out college hurt people like Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, or Mark Zuckerberg, to name a few.
The median time to get a PhD in the US is under 6 years. In the UK its about 4 years. It’s also irrelevant to the discussion because I never suggested people need PhDs to function in society. I only pointed out that your 8 year comment was an exaggeration.

The world isn’t full of Gates, Jobs and Zuckerbergs. They are exceptions and for each of them you can name thousands for whom a good education was vital for their success.

An 8th grade education doesn’t prepare anyone for anything. HS isn’t a whole lot better. And I’m not saying college is for everyone. It isn’t. Education IS for everyone - even if your education consists entirely of reading.

The world isn’t full of Gates, Jobs and Zuckerbergs. They are exceptions and for each of them you can name thousands for whom a good education was vital for their success.

An 8th grade education doesn’t prepare anyone for anything. HS isn’t a whole lot better. And I’m not saying college is for everyone. It isn’t. Education IS for everyone - even if your education consists entirely of reading.

I took a break from electrical engineering after two years and got a full time job as a technician for Panasonic. Nothing I learned in two years of college was of any use. Boring theoretical never neverland junk. I could have done that job with what I taught myself in high school.

Why don't people complaining about education suggest books superior to what the colleges force students to buy.

Teach Yourself Electricity and Electronics (2006) by Stan Gibilisco

EveryCircuit by Igor Vytyaz

The Art of Electronics 3rd ed(2015) by Horowitz and Hill

Chapter 10 in the 2nd edition for computers

School is a scam creating work for people dribbling out information.

The Tyranny of Words (1938) by Stuart Chase http://www.anxietyculture.com/tyranny.htm http://archive.org/details/tyrannyofwords00chas

Chase was an MIT graduate and criticised European philosophy but people get degrees in it.

Games People Play (1964) by psychiatrist Eric Berne.

The majority of books are mediocre to crap.

I took a break from electrical engineering after two years and got a full time job as a technician for Panasonic. Nothing I learned in two years of college was of any use. Boring theoretical never neverland junk. I could have done that job with what I taught myself in high school.

Why don't people complaining about education suggest books superior to what the colleges force students to buy.

Teach Yourself Electricity and Electronics (2006) by Stan Gibilisco

EveryCircuit by Igor Vytyaz

The Art of Electronics 3rd ed(2015) by Horowitz and Hill

Chapter 10 in the 2nd edition for computers

School is a scam creating work for people dribbling out information.

The Tyranny of Words (1938) by Stuart Chase http://www.anxietyculture.com/tyranny.htm http://archive.org/details/tyrannyofwords00chas

Chase was an MIT graduate and criticised European philosophy but people get degrees in it.

Games People Play (1964) by psychiatrist Eric Berne.

The majority of books are mediocre to crap.

I don’t completely agree. My degree is in computer science and during a 37 year career i wrote exactly zero compilers or operating systems. But that wasn’t the worth of college. A good part of the worth is in teaching you - forcing you - to think. That and, at least in my case - exposure to ideas I just didn’t back in the old neighborhood or in HS which forced me to rethink everything I thought I knew.

I agree about reading. I should’ve added something about quality of what is read.

You’re not the first EE I’ve met who walked away from that career path. Knew a guy who left EE to be a local 3 electrician in NYC because it paid better and had better working conditions. That was probably 25 years ago. Don’t know if he ever went back.

The median time to get a PhD in the US is under 6 years. In the UK its about 4 years. It’s also irrelevant to the discussion because I never suggested people need PhDs to function in society. I only pointed out that your 8 year comment was an exaggeration.
The point of my prior post was to exaggerate because as I alluded to before the four years high school/four years college model is completely arbitrary. As I also noted the notion of a "well rounded education" is also arbitrary. What exactly does that mean, what exactly should be taught, and how long should such a thing take? And then more importantly who gets to decide that?

The point of my prior post was to exaggerate because as I alluded to before the four years high school/four years college model is completely arbitrary. As I also noted the notion of a "well rounded education" is also arbitrary. What exactly does that mean, what exactly should be taught, and how long should such a thing take? And then more importantly who gets to decide that?

Yes it’s arbitrary and honestly I don’t agree with way we do K-12 schooling in this country. If it were left to me I’d put more emphasis on what was in a classical education - much of which was geared around being able to think and argue - as well as enough emphasis on math and sciences to be able to understand the benefits and potential problems of new technology. I’d also put a lot of emphasis on writing ability - in 37 years as a professional software engineer I can’t tell you how many otherwise intelligent people cannot spell worth a damn or write coherent English sentences.

That’s the core of what I think is important to actually function in society. Then add to that learning the specific skills for whatever work the person wants to do.

Finally enough exposure to literature, art and music so the person can appreciate the beauty man has created and maybe a foreign language or two.

For many people they need a reason for them to understand the math.
It might be as simple as, is a gallon of detergent a better value than a 1/2 gallon.
When I started college, it was about the start of the calculator age, slide rulers were out, calculators in.
We had a class on calculator math, not from the math department, but from the physics department.
The basic concept was that numerical data comes in all forms, but generally is not in a form useful to us,
Algebra is a methodology for converting numerical data from a form we do not need, into a form that we want,... and be assured of the result!

. A good part of the worth is in teaching you - forcing you - to think. That and, at least in my case - exposure to ideas I just didn’t back in the old neighborhood or in HS which forced me to rethink everything I thought I knew.

I agree about reading. I should’ve added something about quality of what is read.

Politicians and religious leaders do not want the peons to think. I started reading science fiction in 4th grade and junked religion. A nun told my sister that science and religion don't mix.

Thinking is why I included The Tyranny of Words in the reading list. That relates to Robert Heinlein via Science and Sanity by Alfred Korzybski.

Mark Twain talked about not letting his schooling interfere with his education. We have the Internet to spread good info about books but ppl can spread B.S. too. I can't make anyone check out a book, just provide the title.

But notice that economists do not advocate mandatory accounting in the schools even though it is 700 years old. 4 years of English literature must be more useful.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom