• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Teaching Math

Bodi

Just waiting for my set...
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
This reminds me students in class. Of course, this is after going over the math with the class, showing them how to do it, etc. Answering questions, etc. Then you get to the kids that are still lost, all good... that happens, you go to do the one on one work with them, re-work the math for them, discuss it with them and them and you might even give them the answer in another question (you will understand after you see video - and say, if you are going 60mph it will take you one hour to go 60 miles and explain why, etc... then say if you are going 80mph how long will it take you to go 80 miles and you get this kind of crap... and this could be after a couple of lessons and you just sit there thinking... nothing will help this kid. LOL

This reminds me students in class. Of course, this is after going over the math with the class, showing them how to do it, etc. Answering questions, etc. Then you get to the kids that are still lost, all good... that happens, you go to do the one on one work with them, re-work the math for them, discuss it with them and them and you might even give them the answer in another question (you will understand after you see video - and say, if you are going 60mph it will take you one hour to go 60 miles and explain why, etc... then say if you are going 80mph how long will it take you to go 80 miles and you get this kind of crap... and this could be after a couple of lessons and you just sit there thinking... nothing will help this kid. LOL

She's pretty enough to get by.

Well, I guess her head would explode if you asked her to set up an equation showing how far she would travel after driving fifteen minutes at 30 mph.

x = 30 (15/60)

Well, I guess her head would explode if you asked her to set up an equation showing how far she would travel after driving fifteen minutes at 30 mph.

x = 30 (15/60)
Dude... these are semi-retarded 8th graders... not NASA physicists.
It waould take me a little longer than 1 hour. I mean, I'd pull over and leave her on the side of the road. (No, not really)
And would you have to equate the time and distance in going back to pick her up or would that just be that?

How do you set up,
If you're going 70 mph, how long will it take to go 120 miles?

I wonder that type of shit everytime I go on a road trip.

Go slow, please.

My goal is to average a mile a minute (60 mph) on very long drives with all stops included. We have one in early October going east 780 miles; 13 hours total plus the hour lost going to eastern time. Leave at 5:00 AM and make motel at 7:00 PM.

If there is any teacher who deserves at least $100,000 a year, it would be that rare individual who knows how to actually teach math.

I am horrible at math.

Really horrible.

One reason (maybe the primary one) is that I am stupid.

Another reason (maybe) is that I never had an inspiring teacher who knew how to teach it.

Math teachers are hard to find for secondary schools.

And those who are hired are not necessarily inspiring when it comes to teaching the subject.

Congratulations to those members (and guests) who are good at math because they understand the concept behind a particular math question.

Dude... these are semi-retarded 8th graders... not NASA physicists.

And would you have to equate the time and distance in going back to pick her up or would that just be that?
Even worse, I thought of how a person in the car would be subject to time dilation in regard to a person outside the car but then thought No, no,no...just don't go there. :)

If there is any teacher who deserves at least $100,000 a year, it would be that rare individual who knows how to actually teach math.

I am horrible at math.

Really horrible.

Another reason (maybe) is that I never had an inspiring teacher who knew how to teach it.

And those who are hired are not necessarily inspiring when it comes to teaching the subject.

Congratulations to those members (and guests) who are good at math because they understand the concept behind a particular math question.
The key to understanding math is solving every problem from the beginning of the book forward. It's a very linear subject.

How do you set up,
If you're going 70 mph, how long will it take to go 120 miles?

I wonder that type of shit everytime I go on a road trip.

Go slow, please.
We teach them estimation and rounding. 7 into 12 is a little less than 7 into 14 which is 2, etc.

My goal is to average a mile a minute (60 mph) on very long drives with all stops included. We have one in early October going east 780 miles; 13 hours total plus the hour lost going to eastern time. Leave at 5:00 AM and make motel at 7:00 PM.
That is so old school... 60mph. LOL

Reminds me of m dad planning trips to Montana, and stuff.

Montana you say; U.S. 2 across the state 667 miles; dangerous road; generic white crosses seemingly at every curve; 9 was the most we saw
@Bodhisattva

I am horrible at math.

Really horrible.

How about the teachers who have to teach all the math the students need to know for Physics and Chem-is-try?

We teach them estimation and rounding. 7 into 12 is a little less than 7 into 14 which is 2, etc.
That’s how we were taught on Air Force Base schools when I started 1st grade right after Sputnik.

x = 30 (15/60)
Mind blowing would be asking the average speed if you did the first half at 60 mph and the second half at 40 mph. (Since there are two possible answers)

That’s how we were taught on Air Force Base schools when I started 1st grade right after Sputnik.
I like it when people talk about "new math" and how to teach it. Regular "math" seemed to work for Newton, Einstein, etc.

Before pay wave and all that now, how many times would a cashier give you the wrong change... ? Just basic skills.

That means absolutely nothing to me. I could have guessed it would be under 2 hours because at 1 mile per minute, it would be 2 hours. But how do you set it up to find the # of minutes exactly?

Mind blowing would be asking the average speed if you did the first half at 60 mph and the second half at 40 mph. (Since there are two possible answers)
Actually, it would be only one answer for each of two questions.

The easier one of the two questions to answer would be if was asked to find the average speed relative to time. If the intervals were split evenly, the average rate would always be 50mph.

Trickier would be if the question referred to distance: the first half of the 30 mile trip was at 60 mph while the second leg was at 40 mph. In that case to find the average rate, you'd have to first solve for total Time, using simultaneous equations.

t = x1/r1 = x2/r2
x1= x2 = 1/2x

t = 15/60 + 15/40
t = .625 hr

r = 30/.625
r = 48 mph

That means absolutely nothing to me. I could have guessed it would be under 2 hours because at 1 mile per minute, it would be 2 hours. But how do you set it up to find the # of minutes exactly?
120/70
Divide the distance by the mph = 1.714
That is 1 hour and
Multiply .714 x 60 = 42
1 hour and 42 minutes.

Actually, it would be only one answer for each of two questions.

The easier one of the two questions to answer would be if was asked to find the average speed relative to time. If the intervals were split evenly, the average rate would always be 50mph.

Trickier would be if the question referred to distance: the first half of the 30 mile trip was at 60 mph while the second leg was at 40 mph. In that case to find the average rate, you'd have to first solve for total Time, using simultaneous equations.

t = x1/r1 = x2/r2
x1= x2 = 1/2x

t = 15/60 + 15/40
t = .625 hr

r = 30/.625
That’s what I meant by 2 answers: whether half time or half distance. And for half distance you don’t need to know the distance, you just use the harmonic mean: 2/(1/40 + 1/60) = 48

That’s what I meant by 2 answers: whether half time or half distance. And for half distance you don’t need to know the distance, you just use the harmonic mean: 2/(1/40 + 1/60) = 48
Yeah, I noticed that while working the problem. The "x" cancels out. Hence, avg R is independent of distance.

t = x1/r1 + x2/r2
Where, x1= x2= 0.5x

t = x/r
So
x/r = 0.5x/(1/r1 + 1/r2)
r (x/x) = 2(1/r1 + 1/r2)
Where r1 & r2 are known variables.
That gives us

r= 2(1/60 + 1/40)

just like you said.

If you push her out of the car at 80 mph how long would it for her to come to a stop?

Not a mathematical problem. Requires experimentation and probably vary with road conditions.

Back
Top Bottom