• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Tax cuts for the wealthy? Is this a bad thing?

SouthernDemocrat said:
You would have to raise prices is what you would have to do.

I could do that...but if I was the only one in the industry who did that, then people would be more likely to buy my products somewhere else at the market rate. Assuming I'm a small business owner and not a conglomerate monopoly, I can't very easily just raise the prices, because the prices are already set to yield the maximum profit.

If everyone in the industry did that, my business wouldn't suffer in dollar terms and we might keep unemployment down...but at the cost of runaway inflation.

SouthernDemocrat said:
The only thing that would result in your laying people off is increased production or decreased demand and not needing as many people and you would do that regardless of whether the minimum wage was raised or not.

Those are factors that might cause me to lay off workers...but I don't see why they'd be the ONLY things. A minimum wage hike means I have to spend MORE money to employ the SAME number of workers. Obviously if my expenses increase and my revenues stay the same, I have a problem. I'll need to cut expenses somewhere, and assuming I'm operating a reasonably efficient business that means I'll have to cut my productivity (possibly by laying off workers).

SouthernDemocrat said:
First, I never said that costs were the only factor in prices. However, it is a factor. You cannot provide a service or sell a product for less money than it costs you to produce or provide it regardless of how much or little demand there is for the product.

This is an economic forum. Looking at issues from the perspective of the individual businessman is a fatal mistake that many economists have made over the past century. The cost-theories of value have been almost discredited, and it is important for us to understand that supply and demand are the only factors which determine money prices. These prices in turn determine costs, not the other way around. Stop using the PoV of a firm and look at all the interrelations in the economy before you start citing the cost theories of value again.

As far as your other arguments go. I used to work for a company that was a corporate headhunting company. For professional or skilled positions, pay rates are largely determined by market. For example, if ASP.Net programmers are highly in demand in a given market, then employers are forced to compete for ASP.Net programmers and salary’s for that position go up. The same is true for pretty much any professional or skilled position. Jobs that pay minimum wage or near minimum wage are not skilled or professional positions. Generally employers do not have to compete with each other to get a dishwasher or a busboy. So that employer will usually (not always some are more generous) pay the least amount of money that they have to pay someone in those positions. The only factor is paying someone enough so that they actually show up for work.

All makes sense. All buyers on the market will try to achieve the lowest price possible for any good, labor included.

Now, where my concentration of wealth and income argument comes in is here. For example, right now I am painting my home. As anyone knows, painting your home can be a real pain in the ass and an all summer project. Now, say I decide to hire me a couple of day laborers to help me paint my home and say I am a greedy person and just pay them minimum wage even though I could afford to pay them more. They work for me just the same because everyone else is just as greedy as I am (this is just an example, I really am not greedy). Now, say half way through the project, the minimum wage goes up a dollar. In this case, I am probably just going to pay them a dollar more an hour. I still need the labor, and I can more then afford to pay them another dollar an hour. If the minimum wage tripled instead of just rising a buck or two an hour, that would be different. But a small increase is easily absorbed in the end it would just be a little more money for them, and a little less for me. In the end, it might make them more productive to make a little more money.

First of all, you obviously do not know how wages are determined. The demand schedule for labor consists of the discounted marginal value products that each factor contributes to the firm. This curves downward from left to right. The DMVP is what determines the demand for labor, wealth concentration has nothing to do with it. The amount of wealth in the hands of the people "at the top" will not affect the DMVP's of each laborer.

So you can imagine what my thoughts were when you started talking about wealth concentration - "What the hell does wealth concentration have to with anything concerning the labor market?"

Second, it is a basic law deduced from supply and demand theory that at any given time, the curve above the market price will always tend to be elastic, for the simple reason that no individual on the market will not try to take advantage of inelasticity, minimum wage laws or not.

For many corporations, the problem in labor costs is not people at the bottom being over paid, its people at the top being way over paid. I would argue that since there is no empirical evidence that shows that minimum wage increases resulted in higher unemployment, that it may well be that minimum wage increases only result in slightly more equitable pay in companies.

It's not that there's no empirical evidence. There is plenty of data out there, especially when you compare states and their minimum wages/UE rates. But even then, we cannot establish a causal relationship, just as we can't when it comes to times of low employment and hikes in the minimum wage. There are way too many factors involved and often the minimum wage increases are too small for the effects to be visible.

Another note - taking your theory to its extreme, this would certainly be an argument for other price controls. For if the wealthy's demand for goods is inelastic above the market price (like I said, impossible but let's assume it's true) then there's no harm done in instituting "minimum price controls" for certain commodites which rich people purchase often. No harm done, and helps the producers on the market. Right?

Nez Dragon said:
I hear a lot of flak from the left about how Bush's economic solutions are to cut taxes on the highest bracket (most of the elite left benefit from these tax cuts, why are they complaining?).

Let's have a lesson on economics:

A lot of small businesses list their income as personal income rather than corporate, putting the owner(s) in the highest bracket. These tax cuts allow businesses to keep that much more of the money they earn. With this additional money, they can expand their business (a store, for example, can buy more goods etc.). They can hire more workers to fill job slots that may have become availible. These workers work, then get a paycheck. The workers then spend money on necessities, such as groceries, clothes, etc.
The more money a small business has, the more they can offer to customers. This increases their revenue, which increases the amount of money they have. They can then spend money on expanding further. With less taxes, they can expand more due to the extra money. With the revenue increasing (and the amount people are spending), it creates more money flowing around the system, which means more taxes.

So, at the same time that the small businesses (who are the INTENDED recipients of the cut, not the 'wealthy') are growing, people are spending more money because of it, more jobs are opened, and the economy thrives. This also increases the government revenue from income taxes, sales taxes etc. This is a good thing.

Please respond with facts. Rants will be ignored.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well heres a lesson in BUSHONOMICS:

First off, the big tax breaks Bush gave out are NOT for the SMALL business owners!

Secondly, the BIG companys are now spending their BIG TAX BREAKS in OTHER COUNTRYS!!! So the big tax breaks are only helping BIG business and other countrys!

ITS A BAD THING!!!
-------------
Sometimes a cup of coffee wil open your eyes to the truth!
Have a cup of coffee!!! On me!!!

taxpayer said:
Secondly, the BIG companys are now spending their BIG TAX BREAKS in OTHER COUNTRYS!!! So the big tax breaks are only helping BIG business and other countrys!

Please explain exactly how investing in other countries only helps other countries. It helps the business too (and therefore the American economy). If it didn't, the business wouldn't be investing there in the first place.

man don't you raise the tax of the rich that would cut into GOP contributions

ITS the sad reality

You tell the rich, contrbutions for tax relief
works everytime

Canuck said:
You tell the rich, contrbutions for tax relief
works everytime
I've heard that it works in Canada.

Back
Top Bottom