• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tax Cuts Are Nothing More Than Theft...

His boss thinks so.

When others are not producing enough, the rest of us have to compensate. Having these people in our society will drag us down and make others pay more for their share. Just like the lazy people on welfare.

When others are not producing enough, the rest of us have to compensate. Having these people in our society will drag us down and make others pay more for their share. Just like the lazy people on welfare.

Once again, not sure what you're basing this on. It sounds like you're just making things up as you go along.

Once again, not sure what you're basing this on. It sounds like you're just making things up as you go along.

Oh please.

Lets say there's an A-list actor who gets paid X amount of money for a film. If that film flops, do you think the actor will pay for it? Ofcourse not. The studio will take the loss and guess what? Someone farther down the food chain gets laid off.

Oh please.

Lets say there's an A-list actor who gets paid X amount of money for a film. If that film flops, do you think the actor will pay for it? Ofcourse not. The studio will take the loss and guess what? Someone farther down the food chain gets laid off.

what does that half to do with taxes? if the actor contracts to get paid x amount its the producer's fault if the film flops.

Roger Milliken, guy who is said to have single-handedly saved (some) of the textile industry in upstate SC. He's worth 400 million or more, he's over 70 years old, and works 80-100 hrs a week keeping on top of his businesses. He's been going like that for decades.

More power to him. I wouldn't be intrested in spending that much time working at something, all the way into what might well be my last decade of life, unless it was something I loved for its own sake and was passionate about. He's welcome to his money... IMO it came with too high a price tag. Bet you he's made a lot of personal sacrifices over the years, in time lost with his wife and kids for one.

Wow, are you from the Spartanburg area? R Milliken lives just a few miles from me.

Anyhow, it is only fair to note that Roger Milliken did not create his business from the ground up. He inherited it. His "personal sacrifices", to him, they are not sacrifices at all, he did what he wanted to do, it is his pleasure to do what he does. At the same time, although he lives in a modest house and seems to live for the most part in the same world that I do, he can also snap his fingers and his private jet will be warming up (I know his personal pilot). Now none of that is to belittle his accomplishments at all, but no man has amazing success without some help from others.

...if they result in the erosion of basic public infrastructure. You did not create the money in your paycheck out of thin air - it resulted from opportunities provided to you by the whole of our society's institutions. Failing to adequately contribute to the maintenance of those institutions is theft. The definition of "adequately" is debatable within the bounds of reason, but the existence of the obligation is not.
I love it when people invent definitions of words for the purpose of creating an argument against something.

the rich for example have to pay more than their fair share because they are outvoted by those who don't pay enough for what they use and for what they want from the government

...if they result in the erosion of basic public infrastructure. You did not create the money in your paycheck out of thin air - it resulted from opportunities provided to you by the whole of our society's institutions. Failing to adequately contribute to the maintenance of those institutions is theft. The definition of "adequately" is debatable within the bounds of reason, but the existence of the obligation is not.

Tax cuts are theft....wow...how can you steal something that you have earned by working for it? Income tax is theft in the first place, a tax cut is simply the government stealing less. Sure, there are some things that we should pay into as a collective...we should pay local tax's for police and fire departments...Inferstructure is something i can live with paying tax's for, though I don't think it's necessary, and the private sector could do it better. It is not my responsibility to care for the wellbeing and advancement of others unless I choose it to be. To force me to pay for things i don't want at the poing of a gun is the only thing that could be considered theft in this transaction.

...tax cuts are theft...who are we stealing from....who property or posessions are we taking away. Who's earnings are we removing from them....you cannot steal the unearned....plain and simple.

...tax cuts are theft...who are we stealing from....who property or posessions are we taking away. Who's earnings are we removing from them....you cannot steal the unearned....plain and simple.
You dont get it.
People who produce/earn nothing are entitled to the wealth of those that do.
Duh...

The guy at McDonalds makes $6 an hour.

Let's say the lawyer makes $200 an hour. Does his work produce 33 times more than the McDonald's worker?

Of course the lawyer is not 33 times more productive, but due to skill level one productive hour of one persons work may indeed be valued at 33 times a much lower skilled persons.

That said, most McDonald's workers make a little more than your example and most lawyers don't make anything like $200/hr. Although the average attorney may bill at $200/hr that doesn't mean they are making $200/hr.

Regardless, a pay scale ranging from $6/hr to $200/hr is not out of any reasonable norm and even one who makes $200 per hour is not rich by any means.

What I find disgusting is a society that finds a wage disparity of wage multipliers in the THOUSANDS is in any way "normal" or acceptable. Sure, a really hard worker may can be several times more productive than a slack worker, and a really smart worker may be worth what dozens or even hundreds of dumb workers are worth. But most surely, even the smartest, hardest working, person in the universe can not justify a wage of thousands of times the average worker.

There is just no way that someone making $50,000,000 a year is worth what 1,250 average workers are worth. No one is 1,250 times smarter or faster than the average person. If they were, that one person could perform every bit of work required to maintain a small town (like a town of 5,000 people). Clean every toilet, build every building, manufacture every item used (including the bricks in the buildings), doctor and laywer every citizen, sell every item sold, stock every shelf, clean every street, cook every meal. Thats most definately a senerio that I do not find plausable.

At some point on the wage scale, people are recieving an income that they do not earn and can not be justified economically. Cronieism, corruption, fraud, luck, and inheritance explains 99% of outrageous income disparity.

Last edited:
salary is often a reflection on scarcity in the workplace. Teachers might be well educated but millions of people are able to do that job. throwing a fast ball accurately at 100 miles an hour? there are only a few people that can do that so such individuals make lots of money. Same with someone who can run say P&G. He might not be 10000 times more productive than the guy who screws on the caps on the tubes of Crest but he is a 100000 times harder to find than a cap-screwer

An excellent observation Turtle. A great illustration why if our nation is to have a better society for all there must be other factors in wages than simple supply and demand.

An excellent observation Turtle. A great illustration why if our nation is to have a better society for all there must be other factors in wages than simple supply and demand.

giving government control to do that is not the answer. if you have some wise suggestions I am all ears (er eyes)

You dont get it.
People who produce/earn nothing are entitled to the wealth of those that do.
Duh...

They should starve if they dont make it for themselves. Its not a set of macroeconomic variables that determines their success, it is pure capitalist will. And if they dont will strong enough to make themselves rich, they are lazy.

They should starve if they dont make it for themselves. Its not a set of macroeconomic variables that determines their success, it is pure capitalist will. And if they dont will strong enough to make themselves rich, they are lazy.

the parasite attitude. existing near someone means you are helping them achieve wealth and you have a just claim to some of their wealth

They should starve if they dont make it for themselves.
No one but you is responsible for you.
Thus, you have no claim to anyone else's property.
:shrug:

No one but you is responsible for you.
Thus, you have no claim to anyone else's property.

Your prosperity is due to the circumstances bestowed upon you by the nation state. Note the currency you hoard in such pride bears the mark's of the government.
Deal.
Fo'

Your prosperity is due to the circumstances bestowed upon you by the nation state.
That's just the stage. I do all the acting. In no way does it mean the audience has claim to the money I make. Fo'.

Not like what you said makes sense to other people... but...
Oh, didn't realise you printed the money for yourself, and flew the american flag... and were a part of a nation state... and the value of your currency was dependent on the validity of you and not faith in the government and economy...

Not like what you said makes sense to other people... but...
Oh, didn't realise you printed the money for yourself, and flew the american flag... and were a part of a nation state... and the value of your currency was dependent on the validity of you and not faith in the government and economy...
Its OK -- I don't expect you to understand how things really work.

Its OK -- I don't expect you to understand how things really work.
The vapidness of this statement is likely unparalleled.
I dont expect you to be able to transcend your personal reality and realise that your currency is printed by a government in the first place. Oh well. Agree to disagree.

The vapidness of this statement is likely unparalleled.
No, not really.
You, after all, are arguing that because I live here, other people people have a right to the money I earn.

I didnt know they stole your money and mailed it in checks to everyone around the country.

I didnt know they stole your money and mailed it in checks to everyone around the country.
You;re sidestepping the issue.

Back
Top Bottom