• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tariffs Hit SC hard

It is over 7 years but how does that fit in with your rant about Americans buying cars to drive on ****ty roads and throwing them away quickly?

You really think that is a long time to own a brand spanking new car???????? In fact that is an improvement over the buying patterns of US buyers in the 60's and 70's. Once off-shore makers proved you could get more life out of a car than 3 years without spending a fortune for it, American auto makers were forced to respond.

But these roads, this infrastructure adds a whole new element. At six years the average American car is falling apart. At least with a Japanese make, the cost to repair is not terrible and the basic drive train encourages you to repair as well. The driving characteristics of the European models encourages that sort of driver to repair his car as well though the repair bill is higher. The American car buyer buying American cars generally just dumps the thing.

That said, I am dangerous driving the typical underpowered American car now...an accident waiting for the next idiot to brake out of nowhere or change lanes out of nowhere of have his car fall apart right on the road out of nowhere. Once you get used to it, you will drive out of way more potential accidents with a performance car than you will hoping you are going to brake your way out of most bad traffic patterns or potential wrecks. Even at that the only real braking that will save you from most accidents is extreme braking. You don't want to try that with the typical American brand either. Good luck breaking straight and true under extreme braking.

And actually the average for American car owners is 71.4 months...just at 6 years or near to it giving YOU the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited:
The two European auto makers? LOL!! Sorry, but if the steel tariffs cause them to lay off workers then they shouldn't build their business on the cheap Chinese steel that's flooding the market.

Trump uses cheap Chinese labor to make his ties. Business will always try to reduce costs. If steel is expensive in the U.S. nobody will want to manufacture products that require steel in the U.S. Make sense?

"Trump's tariffs force manufacturing execs to ask themselves this: How do we maintain/grow profitability in tariff'd environment? The solution options are simply to identify at a high level:
Import/purchase inventory from non tariff-subjected locales
Adjust the factors of production so as to lower costs or alter the coefficients of the COGS equation
Vertically integrate
Horizontally integrate
Exit (wholly or partially) the market subject to the tariff and replace it with a different one
Raise prices
Accept lower profitability
Some mix of the above"

So far it appears the most popular business response to the tariffs be they from US or Export customers has been to buy in advance of them and hope they go away...really helped Q2 GDP in the US. Unfortunately it will encourage Trump to impose more tariffs as purchasing in advance of tariffs as a means to avoid their cost as long as possible means that purchasing agents are robbing Peter to pay Paul. I am sure Wingnut Wilber actually thinks trying to compel tariff based purchasing forward by imposing more and higher tariffs in an effort to bolster more false GDP numbers that are not actually GDP growth makes sense. The unscrupulous ruthless pursuit of personal gain and aggrandizement in this trump bunch is astounding for its depth and for its consistency of purpose.

Troll thread # two million and one.

Just because it is giving legitiment information you don't want to believe doesn't mean it's a 'troll thread'.

This company had bigger problems, if they shutting down this soon after tariffs were put in place.

Deny, deny, deny...

Can you at least see why liberals might think you're being irrational? Trump's tariffs are clearly hurting businesses. Is there some point when you'll admit that?

This company isn't using "planned obsolescence"...not when their product fails after weeks or months. They are just building crappy products. They deserve to go out of business.

An edict from Trump is a better way to determine that* than the market?

*Assuming they don’t get one of Trump’s special bailouts for being politically significant.

You really think that is a long time to own a brand spanking new car???????? In fact that is an improvement over the buying patterns of US buyers in the 60's and 70's. Once off-shore makers proved you could get more life out of a car than 3 years without spending a fortune for it, American auto makers were forced to respond.

But these roads, this infrastructure adds a whole new element. At six years the average American car is falling apart. At least with a Japanese make, the cost to repair is not terrible and the basic drive train encourages you to repair as well. The driving characteristics of the European models encourages that sort of driver to repair his car as well though the repair bill is higher. The American car buyer buying American cars generally just dumps the thing.

That said, I am dangerous driving the typical underpowered American car now...an accident waiting for the next idiot to brake out of nowhere or change lanes out of nowhere of have his car fall apart right on the road out of nowhere. Once you get used to it, you will drive out of way more potential accidents with a performance car than you will hoping you are going to brake your way out of most bad traffic patterns or potential wrecks. Even at that the only real braking that will save you from most accidents is extreme braking. You don't want to try that with the typical American brand either. Good luck breaking straight and true under extreme braking.

And actually the average for American car owners is 71.4 months...just at 6 years or near to it giving YOU the benefit of the doubt.

Red:
Wow. I didn't know that, though I suppose "intuitively" I figured it must be something around that frequency. To be sure, I do notice that I keep seeing cars that I don't recognize while I just keep on driving the same ones I've had for quite some time.

I'm well outside that average. I have five cars, and the newest one is from 2012 and the oldest is from the late 1990s. LOL I have no specific plan or desire to replace any of them. What isn't broke doesn't need "fixing."

A nice old car is still a nice car.
-- Xelor​

What company makes TV parts in the US?

A more important question is why don’t the make TV parts in the US. The reason is because it is less expensive to exploit cheap labor overseas and put Americans out of work.

Would my iPhone be more expensive if it were assembled in the USA? Yes. Yes, it would. Why is my iPhone assembled in China? Oh right, $10 per day wages.

The Democrats used to be the party that supported the workers, now because it is President Trump wanting to impose tariffs to combat unfair trade practices, you all now support Chinese workers and greedy American corporations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A more important question is why don’t the make TV parts in the US. The reason is because it is less expensive to exploit cheap labor overseas and put Americans out of work.

Would my iPhone be more expensive if it were assembled in the USA? Yes. Yes, it would. Why is my iPhone assembled in China? Oh right, $10 per day wages.

The Democrats used to be the party that supported the workers, now because it is President Trump wanting to impose tariffs to combat unfair trade practices, you all now support Chinese workers and greedy American corporations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It isn't more important to me. This company was assembling tv's in the US. A recession is when your neighbor is out of work, a depression is when you are out of work.

This company had bigger problems, if they shutting down this soon after tariffs were put in place.

They sure did. Their website proclaims Proudly Assembled in the USA

In 2012 the CEO/owner bought an empty building in SC and announced that it will hold approx 500 jobs within 5 years (it probably netted him some very good "conditions" from the local Chamber of Commerce).

6 years later he's closing the doors and laying off all his staff - a whopping total of 125.

Not only is he getting rid of his work force - legally -, he reserved the "right" to reopen in maybe 6 months time.

This is called ... restructuring a failing company.

Deny, deny, deny...

Can you at least see why liberals might think you're being irrational? Trump's tariffs are clearly hurting businesses. Is there some point when you'll admit that?

Tariffs shut this plant down in less than 6 months? Believing that's true isn't just irrational, it's moronic.

If only this company had thought about buying American prior to the tariffs, instead of concentrating on helping the Chinese put Americans out of work... Then maybe they wouldn't be worried about tariffs now.

Yeah like Trump...oh wait.

Glad it's not just Wisconsin experiencing the brunt of the damage from the tariffs.

I'm sorry that it's happening to any of us, but since Trump has lowered the boom on manufacturers, this pain needs to be felt far and wide in Trump country in time to encourage people to take mitigating steps in November.

Right? They should have taken a cue from our "Buy American" President and had all their products bought and made in America.

Oh wait...

Foreign parts assembled in America... Just normal trade price fluctuations make a difference. Now if the TV's were actually "made in the USA" instead of just assembled... People like me would buy them.

Someone should as Fairchild about their global practices.

Not just the company, but the county has had a series of employers leaving.

Okay....So, after reading the first 20 or so posts, I noticed that neither another DP member nor the author of the rubric article has contributed what strike me as key pieces of information that lend perspective to the matter as goes Element Electronics.

Element is essentially a Chinese company that's got a distribution center -- Element's "factory" in SC -- in the U.S. Consistent with Chinese firms' "shady" business ethos, not only has Tsinghau TongFang Global basically emplaced Element to skirt U.S. regulations, but also it obtained over a billion dollars in state grant money, an unspecified quantity of state tax credits, and misrepresents its products as being "made in America" (MIM). The MIM assertion got Element-TTFG into hot water with the FTC and the Alliance for American Manufacturing. (Click the links to read the details.)

First:
Politically speaking, Fairfield County, SC is part of the Columbia MSA, so the ~125 jobs lost likely won't have any real impact on electoral outcomes -- the gross impact is to make a "blue" region more "blue" -- unless it can be parlayed into greater voter turnout numbers in statewide races.​

From the article:
Beleaguered Fairfield County is losing another 126 jobs after TV-maker Element Electronics said Monday it will close its Winnsboro plant in response to tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump.

My notion of what a TV manufacturer/maker is and Wilks' are quite different.

Unless Element has dramatically changed its operations from what they were in 2014, it's an assembler and packager of televisions, not a manufacturer, and just barely is it even an assembler. Element obtained nationwide attention when the WSJ reported Element doesn’t do much assembly work at the plant. The article said assembly-line employees open boxes with TVs shipped from China, inspect the sets for damage, unscrew a plastic panel and insert a Chinese-made memory board, and conduct mechanical tests. Then the television is put back in its box and shipped to retailers.

Technically, that process involves just enough to make it be manufacturing; however, one'll notice that the nature of the manufacturing labor skill required to assemble the televisions is roughly comparable to what it takes to put a battery in a cell phone or a pizza in a pizza box and put the pizza/box inside an insulated bag so it can be delivered to a customer. So, yes, Element employs Americans, and in the absolute abstract, yes, that's a good thing. But the only thing good about such jobs is that they are presumably better only than having no job.

Aside:
The U.S. currently has at least one other assembler and, AFAIK, only one actual TV manufacturer:

• [*=1]Seura, a privately held assembler in Green Bay, WI.
    [*=1]SunBrite TV in Thousand Oaks, CA and also privately held. Sunbrite may actually be the only television manufacturer in the U.S., at least if the representations on its website are accurate: "All SunBriteTV models are designed, engineered, and assembled in our production facility in Thousand Oaks, CA --- making SunBriteTV the only consumer brand that actually manufactures televisions in the United States." SunBrite assembles waterproof outdoor sets and jumbo screens like those used at Disneyland and Dodger Stadium.

From the article:
The layoffs come a year after Cayce-based SCE&G and state-owned Santee Cooper canceled their decade long effort to build two nuclear reactors at the V.C. Summer Nuclear Station in Jenkinsville, putting 5,000 construction workers out of work and wiping away a promised economic boon to the poor, rural county.

Wait a minute...SC spent ten years worth of its resident's resources paying two firms to build/upgrade a power plant, and then the state's policy makers decided "Oh, 'eff' it. We don't want to do this any longer," thereby converting all that money into sunk costs that cannot ever long-run returns. What kinds of idiots live in, get elected in, and/or vote for candidates who espouse such courses in SC? Apparently really, really big ones. No wonder SC is "Trump Country."

It's all a part of how to easily win trade wars.
I can't wait to read further down to see the Trump apologists' weasel words on this one.

Foreign parts assembled in America... Just normal trade price fluctuations make a difference. Now if the TV's were actually "made in the USA" instead of just assembled... People like me would buy them.

Someone should as Fairchild about their global practices.

What TV is actually made in the USA? What TV do you have? What computer do you have? Do you think all those chips and processors were made in America?

Use to be many until president Clinton came along and destroyed American manufacturing.

Most jobs left under Bush Jr. but I'll forgive the ignorance on that. Few people are as well informed as I. And no one on the Right comes even close.

Back
Top Bottom