• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Sword And Knife Rights

What liberty? Next you will be demanding the liberty to shout fire in a crowded room where there is none.

The only reason you or any have for carrying a sword is also an admittance that you live in a ****hole of an area where you need to defend yourselves at all times. Is america really that bad? I doubt it.

So basically this thread is another really stupid argument that someone is desperate to prove their manhood by demanding the right to kill.
I can understand how someone from New Zealand, has no understanding about such things given how their government demands a reason for carrying something as simply as a very small knife. A sword must be an unfathomable concept in such a nation. SO to such a person they would obviously think that the only reason that one would carry a sword is for similar reasons as to what you stated. After all it is how you have been trained to think about most weapons in general by an over reaching government.

The thing is though here in New Mexico (it is a State in the US) I can carry a sword if I chose to do so. As long as it is visible; and its a sword so....it is very visible. See here in the States we do need a reason to carry weapons since it is our liberty to do so. Being such we can wear a sword for purely vanity reasons. Or just because we like swords or whatever. Not because of your reasons about manhood and crazy crap like that. It is not the governments concern why I might carry a sword unless I am breaking already established laws. And it is the liberty of other fellow Americans who might be concerned about a sword being carried in public to contact law enforcement. In fact if I were to sport a sword in public I would fully expect law enforcement to stop and question me, just to be sure.

Now given that it is legal to carry a sword in New Mexico provided that you follow the laws pertaining to such weapons, I have only seen one person in the last 30 odd years (excluding Renaissance fairs) carry what might be considered sword like and it was a large bayonet, a weapon that is completely illegal in New Zealand.

What liberty? Next you will be demanding the liberty to shout fire in a crowded room where there is none.

The only reason you or any have for carrying a sword is also an admittance that you live in a ****hole of an area where you need to defend yourselves at all times. Is america really that bad? I doubt it.

So basically this thread is another really stupid argument that someone is desperate to prove their manhood by demanding the right to kill.

You don't like the USA? Don't come to the USA. You have no business saying how we should run our country.

I can understand how someone from New Zealand, has no understanding about such things given how their government demands a reason for carrying something as simply as a very small knife. A sword must be an unfathomable concept in such a nation. SO to such a person they would obviously think that the only reason that one would carry a sword is for similar reasons as to what you stated. After all it is how you have been trained to think about most weapons in general by an over reaching government.

The thing is though here in New Mexico (it is a State in the US) I can carry a sword if I chose to do so. As long as it is visible; and its a sword so....it is very visible. See here in the States we do need a reason to carry weapons since it is our liberty to do so. Being such we can wear a sword for purely vanity reasons. Or just because we like swords or whatever. Not because of your reasons about manhood and crazy crap like that. It is not the governments concern why I might carry a sword unless I am breaking already established laws. And it is the liberty of other fellow Americans who might be concerned about a sword being carried in public to contact law enforcement. In fact if I were to sport a sword in public I would fully expect law enforcement to stop and question me, just to be sure.

Now given that it is legal to carry a sword in New Mexico provided that you follow the laws pertaining to such weapons, I have only seen one person in the last 30 odd years (excluding Renaissance fairs) carry what might be considered sword like and it was a large bayonet, a weapon that is completely illegal in New Zealand.

How humorous that you suggest for vanity but not because it is manly.

As for trained to think a certain way is that not also true of those so vain that they need a weapon to emphasise vanity.

Nor am i, nor should be concerned as to whether anyone does actually wear a sword. That is not what is asked in the op.

Nor is it a question of legality. It matter not in any context whether the act is legal or not. The question is why do so in the first place, not is it legal to do so.

Your last sentence is also accurate for nz. A person in this country can also carry a gun, a knife ,a bayonet or a sword if they have a good reason for doing so. And like you can fully expect law enforcement to stop and question, just to be sure.

As for your liberty to do so. Without good reason then this is nothing more than act of stupidity. In america it would seem that stupidity is considered a right and that some americans would push that right to its full extent.

You don't like the USA? Don't come to the USA. You have no business saying how we should run our country.

FFS! Please grow up.

Again, seeing as you appear to have a limited comprehension skill. This is a debate site not a "You must obey me " site.

Either debate your ridiculous contention of swords or just stop your whinging

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hyF0lTYbHS8

We may be talking same action. This video dosent really do it justice but should give you an idea how fast one can be opened with just a few practice attempts the newer ones it's simply an up down on handle
Butterfly knives are good for showy effect but wouldn't be my choice as a carry knife.

my now 20 year old son spent several years trying to become the baddest balisong flipper in the known universe. when he was little, I won a pen that resembled one and he'd play with it for hours. so I bought him a real one-albeit with a dull blade. Live practice followed, including my wife taking him to the ER room when he was practicing in the car and she hit a bump. by the time he was fifteen, he could have probably won a role as a bit actor in some Steven Seagal ripoff film where they needed some superslick butterfly opening scene. But even with all that, in a hour he learned to open a flipper or a spyderco much faster. Politicians watching too many cheap kung fu films passed laws banning those things.

Taking a sword in public will get you in trouble, I'm pretty sure. It's not something one can conceal, even if it's a smaller wakizashi. Knives are no problem though. I even carried an extra long stiletto in my backpack, on vacation. Carried it in case of snakes while hiking.

Get into a knife fight with a snake? How's that work?

How humorous that you suggest for vanity but not because it is manly.

As for trained to think a certain way is that not also true of those so vain that they need a weapon to emphasise vanity.

Nor am i, nor should be concerned as to whether anyone does actually wear a sword. That is not what is asked in the op.

Nor is it a question of legality. It matter not in any context whether the act is legal or not. The question is why do so in the first place, not is it legal to do so.

Your last sentence is also accurate for nz. A person in this country can also carry a gun, a knife ,a bayonet or a sword if they have a good reason for doing so. And like you can fully expect law enforcement to stop and question, just to be sure.

As for your liberty to do so. Without good reason then this is nothing more than act of stupidity. In america it would seem that stupidity is considered a right and that some americans would push that right to its full extent.

Ok so you hate Americans, how petty. Thank you for showing me how hateful that you are. In fact you are very opinionated and full of rude behavior. I suggest that you stay in New Zealand asking permission to carry that bayonet that will never be allowed to be owned by any of your fellow countrymen since its on a long list of outright banned weapons. You obviously have no clue what liberty is. Liberty is not asking permission and coming with a reason to express your liberty. The term for that is government control.

lol a stick would be better dealing with a snake than a switchblade. Maybe he thought that he could throw it at the snake?

:lol: A walking stick is definitely a better choice.

yeah I was thinking the same thing. Most snakes are beneficial and even rattlers will leave you alone for the most part. And If I have to deal with a nasty snake and have no gun, I'm going to get a 6 foot pole and beat the living snot out of it. Knife fighting with a rattler-no thanks

Both. They go hand in hand. As far as I know close to zero people are killed each year with swords, and that goes a long way towards promoting the right to own and carry swords and other bladed weapons.

Approximately 1600 people were killed in 2016 by knives and other bladed instruments... Dwarfing the number killed by rifles.

yeah I was thinking the same thing. Most snakes are beneficial and even rattlers will leave you alone for the most part. And If I have to deal with a nasty snake and have no gun, I'm going to get a 6 foot pole and beat the living snot out of it. Knife fighting with a rattler-no thanks

I took a broom handle to a Habu in Okinawa... It had entered the barracks.

FFS! Please grow up.

Again, seeing as you appear to have a limited comprehension skill. This is a debate site not a "You must obey me " site.

Either debate your ridiculous contention of swords or just stop your whinging
Why do you care? You don't live in the USA so why would you care how things are done in regards to sword rights in the USA?

So the gun control topic is a very hot topic, both in this forum and in politics in general, but aside from that I would like to talk about something else, sword and knife rights. The right to own and carry bladed weapons. Bladed weapons are different from guns and so that's why Im not posting this in the gun control folder but I do believe very strongly that people should have the right to own and carry bladed weapons for defense or for any other lawful purpose or purposes. In some ways, bladed weapons are even more restricted than guns. So I would like to discuss bladed weapon rights.

Blades are arms. The right to keep and bear should not be infringed.

Approximately 1600 people were killed in 2016 by knives and other bladed instruments... Dwarfing the number killed by rifles.

Knives and other bladed instruments. Swords no doubt make up a very small number as the weapon that was used to do those killings and that's if swords were even used at all in those 1600 killings. As I said in an earlier post knives do no doubt make up a large amount of killings since knives are much more portable than swords and much more concealable with swords. A killer is much more likely to bring along a knife than a sword. But swords are rarely ever used in killings, if they're used at all.

Knives perhaps because they're small and portable but not swords.

Perhaps your definition of knife differs from others. A large chefs knife is portable but not small. An artillery sword from the latter 1800s isn't much larger. A machete spans the gap between knife and sword.

How do you define knife?

Perhaps your definition of knife differs from others. A large chefs knife is portable but not small. An artillery sword from the latter 1800s isn't much larger. A machete spans the gap between knife and sword.

How do you define knife?

A machete is essentially a short sword so I would say anything shorter than a machete would be a knife.

So the gun control topic is a very hot topic, both in this forum and in politics in general, but aside from that I would like to talk about something else, sword and knife rights. The right to own and carry bladed weapons. Bladed weapons are different from guns and so that's why Im not posting this in the gun control folder but I do believe very strongly that people should have the right to own and carry bladed weapons for defense or for any other lawful purpose or purposes. In some ways, bladed weapons are even more restricted than guns. So I would like to discuss bladed weapon rights.

I am fine with people being able to purchase carry any size or type of blades they want, even swords, switch blades and ballistic knives.

Ok so you hate Americans, how petty. Thank you for showing me how hateful that you are. In fact you are very opinionated and full of rude behavior. I suggest that you stay in New Zealand asking permission to carry that bayonet that will never be allowed to be owned by any of your fellow countrymen since its on a long list of outright banned weapons. You obviously have no clue what liberty is. Liberty is not asking permission and coming with a reason to express your liberty. The term for that is government control.

No i do not hate americans. I hate a bad argument which an american happens to be giving.

Again no, i fully understand liberty. And unlike you i do not associates it with vanity or stupidity. The idea that you can do as you please is a childs view of liberty.

Why do you care? You don't live in the USA so why would you care how things are done in regards to sword rights in the USA?

I could not care less about some so called sword rights. I do care about your argument being crap and pointing that out to you. Again as you seem to lack comprehension this is a debate site not a "i actually give a **** about you"site.

If you get cornered on a path, you can pin it with a long stick, cane, etc, and you can impale it with the long pointed blade. It's about as long a knife you can still carry with ease.

No i do not hate americans. I hate a bad argument which an american happens to be giving.

Again no, i fully understand liberty. And unlike you i do not associates it with vanity or stupidity. The idea that you can do as you please is a childs view of liberty.

I did no such thing, I said that liberty is liberty. You took a couple of examples that were not like the BS that you said and are now attacking that.

You are just dogmatically asserting that there is no good reason to carry a sword, but if its truly liberty you do not need a ****ing reason to carry a sword you just do it because its your liberty. Anything that you need permission for is not liberty or freedom. In your country you have to have a reason and permission. If I were asked why I was carrying a sword my only answer would be mind your own ****ing business. But here we you here making a big stink, attacking me just because you think that Americans are violent or whatever bigoted view that have. Its pathetic.

So a Bowie fits the knife catagory at 12 inch blade.

The average machete has an overall length of 18 inches. I would say any bladed weapon that has a length of 18 inches or longer should not be classified as a knife and should not be restricted as such. This is because knives or bladed weapons with overall lengths of under 18 inches are much easier to conceal than those that are longer.

I am fine with people being able to purchase carry any size or type of blades they want, even swords, switch blades and ballistic knives.

Well if people can carry switch blades and ballistic knives or for that matter any kind of knife, they should be able to carry swords since swords with their larger size are much harder to conceal.

Back
Top Bottom