• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Study: Conservatives are happier than liberals.

Oh, I find her delightful. Smart, and as mischevious as your kid sister.

Lol...see? That's why I like her so much. I get to see how many think she's smart when she's so obviously pretty dumb. The things she says are so hilarious. Could you remind me which of the three chambers of Congress she got elected?

Maybe because they were on the attack back then rather than on the defensive. Explaining away or defending Trump’s actions has to get tiresome. Or maybe just everyone is less happy with each year as we become more and more divided. Don’t know.

The study said nothing about Obama. That's just some random factoid he felt the need to bring up that holds no relevance to the study. They are happier because of ideology, not because who is in office. The fact of whoever was in office was never mentioned.

"Too shay", as Removable Mind says. Are you suggesting that conservative happiness is determined by which party controls Congress? No? You aren't saying that?

No, I'm not saying that as a point I actually believe. I'm just saying that it's just as valid as saying it matters that Obama was President.

What was your point, in regards to what I said (typed)?

That believing all that you just typed will obviously not lead to happiness.

Oh, I find her delightful. Smart, and as mischevious as your kid sister.

Me too. It is truly refreshing to hear and watch someone who isn't a tired old corpgov supporting white guy. Ocasio-Cortez is making people think. Like her or not that isn't a bad thing. God knows America could use a bit of cerebral stimulation. Good on AOC.

This is how I see it. Liberals are like dogs: help the poor? Yes! (Pant, pant), equal pay for equal work, yes, (pant, pant), minorities, immigrants, ditto. Now look at your cat. What is he thinking? Ans., “I’ve got money. If I want to pay attention to you, I will. If I don’t, I won’t. Deal with it. And where’s my food?” Think of the Siamese cats in Lady and the Tramp. “We are Siamese if you please. We are Siamese if you don’t please.” Cats are definitely conservatives.

Dogs seem happier so your analogy falls apart. Also...

Well they say ignorance is bliss and when it comes to American Conservatism, there ain't no shortage of ignorance.

Actually, the study didn't say anything about ignorance. It did, however, talk about things like personal responsibility and self-determination.

The study said nothing about Obama. That's just some random factoid he felt the need to bring up that holds no relevance to the study. They are happier because of ideology, not because who is in office. The fact of whoever was in office was never mentioned.

I do believe that society as a whole is getting less happy with time. Though I think social media plays a large part in that. We constantly know all the bad crap going on everywhere. Back in the day you got 30 minutes or an hour of news a night and then rest of the time you just lived your life. Nowadays the news is constantly being fed to us through 24 hour news cycles and our smart phones. You have to make a conscientious decision to tune it all out, and too many people don’t do that.

I do believe that society as a whole is getting less happy with time. Though I think social media plays a large part in that. We constantly know all the bad crap going on everywhere. Back in the day you got 30 minutes or an hour of news a night and then rest of the time you just lived your life. Nowadays the news is constantly being fed to us through 24 hour news cycles and our smart phones. You have to make a conscientious decision to tune it all out, and too many people don’t do that.

You should see the studies on late millennials and Gen Z, who grew up with smart phones and social media. So big of an increase in psychological disorders.

You should see the studies on late millennials and Gen Z, who grew up with smart phones and social media. So big of an increase in psychological disorders.

Wait a minute...are you reneging on your OP now? Could it be that happiness has less to do with left or right wing ideology?

I can't say this is particularly shocking, looking at the apparently constant state of outrage liberals seem to exist it. It has to be utterly exhausting.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S009265661100170X

It's not a surprise that those who believe in greater personal responsibility and control are happier. It's basically the exact opposite of the victim culture that is cultivated on the left. Believing all your problems are due to someone(thing) else does little to help you improve your own situation.

From 2012? Seems the other articles are promoting conservatism. How many people did they study?

Wait a minute...are you reneging on your OP now? Could it be that happiness has less to do with left or right wing ideology?

To quote you...wut?

That's an entirely different study and different things being assessed.

From 2012? Seems the other articles are promoting conservatism. How many people did they study?

It's a psychological study and the ideological difference between conservatives and liberals mentioned in the study are the same differences that exist today.

It's a psychological study and the ideological difference between conservatives and liberals mentioned in the study are the same differences that exist today.

I understand its a psychological study. I am asking how it was done.

They are both sad groups depending on how much of the government that they control. Meanwhile everyone else blames them for the mess that we are in now (I know that i do). If it were not for the two parties, America would be much better off.

They are both sad groups depending on how much of the government that they control. Meanwhile everyone else blames them for the mess that we are in now (I know that i do). If it were not for the two parties, America would be much better off.

*sigh*….the study has nothing to do with who is in power.

I didn't conduct the study.

Also from your site on the right. Pretty subjective matter in either case.

Abstract
Prior research has shown that conservatives report higher levels of subjective well-being than liberals (happiness gap). We investigate to what extent this phenomenon exists in different time periods within the United States (Study 1, N = 40,000) and in different countries (Study 2, N = 230,000). Consistent with our hypotheses grounded in the “shared reality” and person-culture fit literature, conservatives were happier and more satisfied with their lives than liberals to the extent that the conservative political ideology prevailed in their socio-cultural context, be it a specific time period in the U.S. or a specific country. These results show that the happiness gap between conservatives and liberals is less universal than previously assumed.

Ignorance is bliss.

*edit no doubt others have said it..I see they have. Still it's from my gut.

Look, Troll enjoy trolling, and it makes everyone else mad. Trolls are probably also some of the happiest posters.

Back
Top Bottom