• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

someone hands you a gun and says its empty - do you believe them and point it at someone and pull the trigger ?

do you believe them and point it at someone and pull the trigger ?

• Total voters
yes or no - gun owners, people who shoot, people who don't own guns, people who've never held a gun

someone hands you a gun and says its empty - do you believe them and point it at someone and pull the trigger ?

Of course not. :rolleyes:

In the first place, I would never point a gun and shoot at someone simply to prove it was or was not empty. That is insanity. o_O

In the second place, anyone who has ever been trained to handle a gun has several ways to see if one is loaded or not. So, I would simply make sure the safety is on, then depending on the type of weapon, check if it is loaded. :cool:

Is this about Baldwin? Anyway, I don't own a gun, never have and likely never will. I have nothing against them or RESPONSIBLE owners, just never had the need or desire for a gun. That said, even I know to always assume it's loaded, no matter what anybody says.
It's about Baldwin.

1713224187882.png

No. I treat all guns as if they are loaded.

Except MAYBE if I am an actor on a set and there is an armorer who's job it is to load set firearms and who hands me the gun.

I'm pretty sure the gun was not purported to be unloaded...but rather loaded with blanks.

I think I recall that it has been claimed he was told the gun was "cold". I don't think a gun loaded with blanks can be characterized that way, as blanks can still be dangerous.

I think I recall that it has been claimed he was told the gun was "cold". I don't think a gun loaded with blanks can be characterized that way, as blanks can still be dangerous.

John-Erik Hexum IIRC

No. I treat all guns as if they are loaded.

Except MAYBE if I am an actor on a set and there is an armorer who's job it is to load set firearms and who hands me the gun.

I'm pretty sure the gun was not purported to be unloaded...but rather loaded with blanks.
Even a gun loaded with blanks can be deadly at close range. When it fires, it expels a cardboard plug, which held the powder in place, and which flies out at high enough velocity to cause serious injury at close range. Only a dummy round, having NO contents, would be considered safe. As I recall, David Carradine's son was killed by a blank round some years back.

yes or no - gun owners, people who shoot, people who don't own guns, people who've never held a gun

That's stupid. Anyone who says yes is a danger to self and others. Get the hell away from any fool who hands you a gun and says that.

Treat firearms as all guns are loaded all the time. That is the first rule. Never point a gun at anyone you don't intended to shoot. Never.

Even a gun loaded with blanks can be deadly at close range. When it fires, it expels a cardboard plug, which held the powder in place, and which flies out at high enough velocity to cause serious injury at close range. Only a dummy round, having NO contents, would be considered safe. As I recall, David Carradine's son was killed by a blank round some years back.
Bruce Lee’s son was killed by a blank round.

Actor Alec Baldwin is facing criminal charges of involuntary manslaughter in the shooting death of Rust cinematographer Halyna Hutchins in 2021. The incident is reminiscent of another on-set tragedy: the accidental shooting of actor Brandon Lee during filming of The Crow nearly three decades earlier.

Lee, who was the son of martial artist Bruce Lee, died after his co-star, actor Michael Massee, fired at him with a prop gun during filming on March 30, 1993, in Wilmington, North Carolina. Although the revolver was loaded with blanks, the gunpowder in the blank cartridge ignited, leading Massee to unknowingly fire a bullet fragment at Lee, who later died in surgery.

I'd need the other option.

For example, is a rabid dog or lib-prog present?

MAGA.

Baldwin is a liberal.. He doesn't like Trump...

Soooooooo he's now on Trumpsters shit list...
Well that and he’s managed to successfully scapegoat an innocent women for him killing someone.

I stand corrected. Can't keep all the Hollywood characters straight.
Wasn’t meant as a correction, just adding some detail. I’d forgotten who it was, too. I remember one incident from the 80s maybe, where the actor was bored during a break in shooting, pointed the gun loaded with blanks to his head and killed the trigger. The cardboard was was propelled into his brain and killed hin.

Is there any particular context to this hypothetical we might find relevant?

No such thing as an unloaded gun until you have verified it yourself and even then you do not point it at anyone.

Is there any particular context to this hypothetical we might find relevant?
I can think of at least one instance where a bunch of drunk teens had a gun. One handed it to a girl, told her it was unloaded, and told her to point it at him and pull the trigger. Bang. Dead. Don't think anyone knows if he F*d up, or whether he wanted to commit suicide, but not pull the trigger himself. People committing suicide by cop are common, and analogous.

You're using your index fingers to mimic pistols for the first time in a long time, and making the sounds of shooting, "pshew,pshew; pshew,pshew." You haven't checked you fingers to see if they are loaded but you're pretty sure they aren't. All of a sudden, one of your fingers unexpectedly fires a live round and kills your best friend.

That depends on the someone and the situation.

Is it some schmuck who barely graduated high school handing me a gun for kicks and giggles? Then of course not.

Is it a professional armorer handing me a gun on a movie set for the 15th time that day, where we're filming a movie with many scenes in which I point a gun at someone and pull the trigger? I probably would.

Am I going into an actual gunfight? Of course not - I'd say "where the hell is the ammo?"

I mean, you're always supposed to check for yourself. But even if it WAS empty, why the hell would you point it at someone and pull the trigger?

Conservatives tend to paint everything as a black-and-white issue. That seems to be the case with this opening post.

Myself personally, I prefer to take the situation in context.
How is this a Dem v GOP issue?

oh yeah, everyday.......

Trumpers tend to believe what they hear, but not I
This post proves you tend to believe whatever your cultmasteres

someone hands you a gun and says its empty - do you believe them and point it at someone and pull the trigger ?​

Basic, basic gun safety - you NEVER, EVER point a gun at anything, anyone you don't intend to shoot.

Doesn't matter if the gun is empty, if you checked it and confirmed it to be empty yourself - you NEVER point a gun at someone else. Ever.

Here's the context. You and a few friends are playing Cowboys, and videoing the game for display on Youtube. One of your friends is the guy who always brings the guns, and you and the others chip in and get him his favorite beer for that.
I’m so glad to see you two talking about how dangerous guns are. Reminds me of how Californians got strict gun control when Reagan pioneered it after conservatives got scared by the idea that blacks could get guns, too.

Back
Top Bottom