• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Signed up for my Medical Marijuana card

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
In the PA process you first register online with the PA Dept of Health. Their website form was a bit frustrating & time consuming but I now have my patient number.

Second step is getting approval from a medical doctor. I got a call back from a psychiatrist here in town that I know who is on the list of those authorized to approve these cards. $200 & an office visit & I'll be waiting for my card in the mail.

The list of medical conditions that you have to have in order to qualify for the card includes anxiety. Since I need to stop drinking & am facing a number of medical procedures to have my aorta heart valve replaced, I think I qualify in this category.

This psychiatrist flat out told me on the phone that I'm in. She's the kind of doctor who will write a prescription for damned near anything if you ask for it.

The nearest marijuana dispensary is about a 30 minute drive.

I've been advised to stick to edibles. I hope they are not too expensive.

I called the nearest dispensary & got a warm reception. I was surprised to learn that they use a contactless payment method through a company called CanPay. I spent the better part of the afternoon downloading & installing this app on my tablet. You tap their icon on your tablet or Smart Phone & a Purchase PIN number appears along with a QR code. You flash that at their terminal & the money is transferred to them from your checking account. No bothersome trips to the ATM to get cash.

I was surprised at this service, which they call a debit, as Federal law prohibits bank & credit card companies from handling pot transaction money. Somehow this system gets around that.

In the PA process you first register online with the PA Dept of Health. Their website form was a bit frustrating & time consuming but I now have my patient number.

Second step is getting approval from a medical doctor. I got a call back from a psychiatrist here in town that I know who is on the list of those authorized to approve these cards. $200 & an office visit & I'll be waiting for my card in the mail.

The list of medical conditions that you have to have in order to qualify for the card includes anxiety. Since I need to stop drinking & am facing a number of medical procedures to have my aorta heart valve replaced, I think I qualify in this category.

This psychiatrist flat out told me on the phone that I'm in. She's the kind of doctor who will write a prescription for damned near anything if you ask for it.

If the process is anything like it is here in CO, and I imagine it is, its really kind of a big farce. Anxiety isn't on the approval list here, but severe pain is. So while I would have truthfully claimed anxiety, I had to lie about the pain that my migraines cause. They can't really say someone doesn't have severe pain, and while they ask for a release for your medical records, as far as I know they don't follow through - at least in my case because I never mentioned my migraines to my doctor. And the doctors can take credit/debit for payments. Some weed shops here can now (I think - could be wrong) but not previously. $200 is double what it costs here. $80, if you're a repeat customer. I hope the edibles aren't too expensive, and I hope you find one you like.

We are going to legalize here in AZ, till then, I get mine from friends with cards.

Have you seen polling on it?
Yeah, its got around 65% for it. We tried 4 years ago, and it was close, but minds have changed. Heck, there is barely a campaign against it. Even the largest newspaper in the state came out in favor of it.

Yeah, its got around 65% for it. We tried 4 years ago, and it was close, but minds have changed. Heck, there is barely a campaign against it. Even the largest newspaper in the state came out in favor of it.

Great! I hope you get it.

Word of advice, especially for edibles. Start out with a very small amount until you build up a tolerance or you might have a bad experience. You can always add more but can't reverse an overdose. Edibles can take an hour or two to kick-in and last for up to 4-6 hrs. Also, start out with Indica strains for less stimulation and more relaxation. Good luck. :)

If the process is anything like it is here in CO, and I imagine it is, its really kind of a big farce. Anxiety isn't on the approval list here, but severe pain is. So while I would have truthfully claimed anxiety, I had to lie about the pain that my migraines cause. They can't really say someone doesn't have severe pain, and while they ask for a release for your medical records, as far as I know they don't follow through - at least in my case because I never mentioned my migraines to my doctor. And the doctors can take credit/debit for payments. Some weed shops here can now (I think - could be wrong) but not previously. $200 is double what it costs here. $80, if you're a repeat customer. I hope the edibles aren't too expensive, and I hope you find one you like.

Incredibly, I found a dispensary 10 minutes from my home, in the same town. In fact, it is in the same strip mall as our favorite Chinese restaurant.

After heart valve surgery, I don't think smoking even half a joint or a drag from a pipe is a good idea because the valve replacement might dislocate, which means either death or open heart surgery. Edibles are not available in PA by law, so it looks like I'll be learning how to make cannabis brownies. The sales guys there are very knowledgeable so I was advised that they can point me in the right direction: flowers, tinctures. They have THC in capsules also.

If they legalize pot in NJ, I may be able to get edibles over there. In the mean time, my local dispensary sells capsules described as 'Cannabis infused capsules by Grassroots.' with THC content of 4.99%. 300 mg in 30 packs for $55. I think I'll give them a try. Making brownies seems like more work than I'm prepared to put in. (I'm kitchen blind). They also turned me on to a Herbal Wellness center where you teleconference with a doctor who can authorize your card for $125. That's $75 cheaper than the shrink I have to wait until 10/20 to see & 2 weeks closer to getting my card.

5% THC?
my last leaf was 26%
you looking for indica or sativa strain?

5% THC?
my last leaf was 26%
Their web site does not indicate the strain so there likely is no choice to be had.

5% THC?
my last leaf was 26%
If you take 5 that's 25%. But the reviews say you don't get high.

No.medical marijuana in Alabama. You could be dying they dont care here

It was fully legal in vegas...like getting a sixpack

Word of advice, especially for edibles. Start out with a very small amount until you build up a tolerance or you might have a bad experience. You can always add more but can't reverse an overdose. Edibles can take an hour or two to kick-in and last for up to 4-6 hrs. Also, start out with Indica strains for less stimulation and more relaxation. Good luck. :)
I had never used marijuana in my life, but was having a hard time with nausea and my meds...and someone handed me some edibles in Colorado....and I didn't know better and ate about 5 gummy bear edibles...oh boy....won't ever do that again.

I had never used marijuana in my life, but was having a hard time with nausea and my meds...and someone handed me some edibles in Colorado....and I didn't know better and ate about 5 gummy bear edibles...oh boy....won't ever do that again.
5???? You must have been stoned!

let's just say I sure did not get much done and I was definitely able to eat without puking...lol
A fast way to lose weight.

Pennsylvania is still on the MM platform? Ugh....
Glad you got in, and while I don't know the specifics about PA, you will want to research thoroughly because in the past, states who insisted on going this route have created a lot of second class citizens.

In many MM states, if you get a MM card, several things might happen to you.
You might be forced to surrender certain professional licenses or permits, you may have your 2A rights curtailed because last I checked, ATF has added the following language: "Warning: The use or possession of marijuana remains unlawful under Federal law regardless of whether it has been legalized or decriminalized for medicinal or recreational purposes in the state where you reside."
That means pot smokers who want to legally purchase a weapon have to lie on Form 4473. And that's a federal crime. And the NRA laughs about it, they don't give a damn.

You may become ineligible for certain assistance programs, your health insurance premiums may go up, if you're a teacher, sometimes you can lose your teaching certificate, and in some states, parents have lost custody of their children over their marijuana use, even if it's medically approved.

You can be kicked out of your home for using marijuana if you are poor and live in HUD, Section 8, or other federally subsidized housing. Under a 1999 HUD Memorandum Regarding Medical Marijuana in Public Housing still in effect, any activity relating to controlled substances, including even medical marijuana, can get you evicted.

And it doesn't have to be just you. If you live in federally subsidized housing and your grandson gets caught smoking a joint in the parking lot, you can find yourself tossed out on the street.

Even people who don't live in federally subsidized housing face problems, especially if they live in rental housing. Landlords can prohibit tenants from using marijuana, and rental apartment industry associations typically counsel their members that "banning the use or possession of marijuana on site does not violate any landlord/tenant or fair housing laws, even when marijuana has been legalized by local ordinance or state statute." Nor, they argue, is allowing the use or cultivation of medical marijuana a "reasonable accommodation" required by law, even if it is medically recommended.

For the above reasons and many more, it is time to stop dancing around this whole medical marijuana thing and just make it legal, as legal as an adult buying and drinking a beer.

Pennsylvania is still on the MM platform? Ugh....
Glad you got in, and while I don't know the specifics about PA, you will want to research thoroughly because in the past, states who insisted on going this route have created a lot of second class citizens.

In many MM states, if you get a MM card, several things might happen to you.
You might be forced to surrender certain professional licenses or permits, you may have your 2A rights curtailed because last I checked, ATF has added the following language: "Warning: The use or possession of marijuana remains unlawful under Federal law regardless of whether it has been legalized or decriminalized for medicinal or recreational purposes in the state where you reside."
That means pot smokers who want to legally purchase a weapon have to lie on Form 4473. And that's a federal crime. And the NRA laughs about it, they don't give a damn.

You may become ineligible for certain assistance programs, your health insurance premiums may go up, if you're a teacher, sometimes you can lose your teaching certificate, and in some states, parents have lost custody of their children over their marijuana use, even if it's medically approved.

You can be kicked out of your home for using marijuana if you are poor and live in HUD, Section 8, or other federally subsidized housing. Under a 1999 HUD Memorandum Regarding Medical Marijuana in Public Housing still in effect, any activity relating to controlled substances, including even medical marijuana, can get you evicted.

And it doesn't have to be just you. If you live in federally subsidized housing and your grandson gets caught smoking a joint in the parking lot, you can find yourself tossed out on the street.

Even people who don't live in federally subsidized housing face problems, especially if they live in rental housing. Landlords can prohibit tenants from using marijuana, and rental apartment industry associations typically counsel their members that "banning the use or possession of marijuana on site does not violate any landlord/tenant or fair housing laws, even when marijuana has been legalized by local ordinance or state statute." Nor, they argue, is allowing the use or cultivation of medical marijuana a "reasonable accommodation" required by law, even if it is medically recommended.

For the above reasons and many more, it is time to stop dancing around this whole medical marijuana thing and just make it legal, as legal as an adult buying and drinking a beer.
Wife & I are retired & own our house & are on Medicare. I have all the guns I need for self protection: shotgun & revolver.

Hoping NJ votes to legalize it as I am not looking forward to making cannabibrownies. It is only a 30 minute drive to cross the Delaware into NJ. The capsules relax you etc. but don't get you high. My pending heart valve operation precludes me from smoking weed.

Half a gummy is usually about 12.5 mg, which is enough for first-time use. After about 3-8 doses, you can titrate upwards gradually. THC is a very good antiemetic for nausea and appetite stimulate. It's also quite effective in reducing symptoms of opiate/alcohol and other substance withdrawals.

Incredibly, I found a dispensary 10 minutes from my home, in the same town. In fact, it is in the same strip mall as our favorite Chinese restaurant.

After heart valve surgery, I don't think smoking even half a joint or a drag from a pipe is a good idea because the valve replacement might dislocate, which means either death or open heart surgery. Edibles are not available in PA by law, so it looks like I'll be learning how to make cannabis brownies. The sales guys there are very knowledgeable so I was advised that they can point me in the right direction: flowers, tinctures. They have THC in capsules also.
A capsule is the same as an edible without the other stuff like sugar. Try an indica, it relaxes you. A sativa is more of an up kind of buzz. No more than ten milligrams and wait a couple of hours to feel it. Good luck.

If you take 5 that's 25%. But the reviews say you don't get high.

If they are CBD-only edibles, you won't get high. I avoid those, myself.

The percentages work differently for edibles. It's the mg/piece that I go by, and you'll have to dial in your own dose. Also, it'll change as your tolerance develops.

I find 50mg is about right for me to have a mellow afternoon, and somewhere around 200mg things tend to become pretty unpleasant.

My girlfriend, who has some fairly serious medical issues, uses 150mg+ every day and she still struggles to get decent sleep.

Back
Top Bottom