• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Shutdown outrage: Military death benefits denied to families of fallen troops

Please point me to the section of the US Constitution that describes how the United States House of Representatives must bow down to the demands and threats of the United States Senate and the Executive Branch.
What demands and threats are the Senate and President making?

It's was relevant enough to be put in the constitution.

"The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law....shall not be questioned."

The house is violating the constitution. The president might have to use some "extradordinary measures" so the government doesn't go into default.

Since the house and the senate both passed budget bills that exceeded the debt limit....the president can assume they intended to raise the debt ceiling and pay the bills without a CR. Especially if the congress is proving itself to be dysfunctional. After all, it is the president's job to protect the country.

The public debt can be serviced with current, recurring revenue, no borrowing necessary...

All Boehner needs to do is call for an "up or down" vote on a clean CR and all this would be over.

True. It would be great if ALL legislation could be clean.

The public debt can be serviced with current, recurring revenue, no borrowing necessary...

Depends on when the revenue comes in. Apparently, the Treasury will run out of cash to pay discretionary bills on October 17. After that, treasury can borrow up to a certain limit set by law....which will end in mid November.

This shutdown is raising the debt that Republicans claim they're so worried about. They've lost all credibilty on that score.

I'm sorry, I was expecting an intelligent response. Still waiting.

I thought it was. Where in the Constitution is the President subservient to the Congress, or for that matter, where the Senate is subservient to the House?

Depends on when the revenue comes in. Apparently, the Treasury will run out of cash to pay discretionary bills on October 17. After that, treasury can borrow up to a certain limit set by law....which will end in mid November.

This shutdown is raising the debt that Republicans claim they're so worried about. They've lost all credibilty on that score.

There is no "depends". We currently take in approximately $225B/month while service on the public debt amounts to around $25B/month in round numbers...

It's was relevant enough to be put in the constitution.

"The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law....shall not be questioned."

The house is violating the constitution. The president might have to use some "extradordinary measures" so the government doesn't go into default.

Since the house and the senate both passed budget bills that exceeded the debt limit....the president can assume they intended to raise the debt ceiling and pay the bills without a CR. Especially if the congress is proving itself to be dysfunctional. After all, it is the president's job to protect the country.

The House has violated nothing. I'm sorry, but there is little I can do to assist with the information you are mistakenly trying to apply.

The Founding Fathers specifically detailed how government spending was to be handled, and how it was to originate. The leadership in the Senate, and the White House appear to need to go back to grade school for a refresher.

Please point me to the section of the US Constitution that describes how the United States House of Representatives must bow down to the demands and threats of the United States Senate and the Executive Branch.

Please point me to the section of the US Constitution that describes how the United States Senate and the Executive Branch must bow down to the demands and threats of the United States House of Representatives.

or the administration could treat these veteran families like Egypt and other foreign aid recipients and keep their money flowing...

I suppose he could if both houses pass a bill and it gets to his desk. As it stands, the treasury pays the bills in the order that they come in until they run out of money and hit its borrowing limit set by law.

Please point me to the section of the US Constitution that describes how the United States Senate and the Executive Branch must bow down to the demands and threats of the United States House of Representatives.

The House has passed the spending authorization its members passed with a majority. If is is not acceptable and deadlines are affected, negotiations need to take place to find common ground, but it takes two sides to do so, one of which states it will not negotiate...

The House has passed the spending authorization its members passed with a majority. If is is not acceptable and deadlines are affected, negotiations need to take place to find common ground, but it takes two sides to do so, one of which states it will not negotiate...

So if the GOP wants to negotiate its demands that it couldn't get by legislation, the Democrats should propose theirs. Let's start with a tax hike on the rich and a cut to military spending, and maybe gun control thrown in.

Let the negotiations begin!

What demands and threats are the Senate and President making?

Hmm, let me think about that, but don't put a gun to my head, it may take a bit to assemble them all...

I'd pull over and get busy, but it seems all the parking lots and turn outs are closed.

I thought it was. Where in the Constitution is the President subservient to the Congress, or for that matter, where the Senate is subservient to the House?

Well, by all means then, the Senate should ignore the Constitution and originate spending bills. Perhaps you should contact them and remind them of this fact. It seems they have mistakenly assumed the House of Representatives is where spending bills originate.

Sure.

It comes in the parts after, "We the People"...

Perhaps that's the problem, you weren't aware of that.

Here, this link might help.

Constitution of the United States - Official

The shutdown of the National Mall didn't prevent the pro illegal alien rally taking place today on the Mall. It seems Obama signed off on rally to take place on the closed National Mall so illegal aliens could demand amnesty, citizenship and free stuff.

Veterans and citizens are still denied access to the WW ll War Memorial and the Vietnam War Memorial.

There is no "depends". We currently take in approximately $225B/month while service on the public debt amounts to around $25B/month in round numbers...

The US monthy outlays is around $330 billion a month. I'll let you do the math.

The House has violated nothing. I'm sorry, but there is little I can do to assist with the information you are mistakenly trying to apply.

The Founding Fathers specifically detailed how government spending was to be handled, and how it was to originate. The leadership in the Senate, and the White House appear to need to go back to grade school for a refresher.

I'm sorry, but a relevant post would be the appropriate response. At present, your response is not relevant.

I'm sorry, but a relevant post would be the appropriate response. At present, your response is not relevant.

After witnessing your perspective, I can understand why you would think that.

As I wrote before, it is not incumbent upon me to educate you on the relevant facts related to the House and it's Constitutional duties. With all that's going on, perhaps this would be a good time for you to take that up yourself.

That ends anytime John Boehner wants it to. He can end it by holding a vote on a clean resolution.

It's all his fault. You can't blame the Teabags for this: They have no power unless Boehner gives it to them. And he gave it to them.

Congress Was Warned The Shutdown Would Delay Miltiary Death Benefits

It ends when Obama understands there are three branches of government.

The Congress writes the laws and appropriate the funding to run the government.

The Executive branch (Obama) is suppose to uphold the Constitution, enforce the laws that Congress passes and provide a budget to Congress which Congress is suppose to go through and pick what parts of the President's budget approperiations will be provided for and what parts will not, that's there job.

The House did their job, Obama got every penny and more he requested for in his budget except the funding for Obamacare.

It was Harry Reid under directions from Obama to reject the House budget. It was Obama, Harry Reid and the Democrats in the Senate who are responsible for the shutdown of the government.

It was Obama who directed that war/veterans memorials and parks to be closed, not Congress or the Republicans. There have been 17 government shutdowns since 1976 and not once were citizens or vetrans denied access to these closed memorials, parks or the National Mall.
As we see today, illegal aliens are exempt from being denied access to the National Mall.

I would like some answers, why ?

Last edited:
After witnessing your perspective, I can understand why you would think that.

As I wrote before, it is not incumbent upon me to educate you on the relevant facts related to the House and it's Constitutional duties. With all that's going on, perhaps this would be a good time for you to take that up yourself.
Why don't you post something relevant thats worth responding to and then we'll talk. MK?

I suppose he could if both houses pass a bill and it gets to his desk. As it stands, the treasury pays the bills in the order that they come in until they run out of money and hit its borrowing limit set by law.

yeah, like when both houses passed a bill to keep foreign aid goin'?.

That ends anytime John Boehner wants it to. He can end it by holding a vote on a clean resolution.

It's all his fault. You can't blame the Teabags for this: They have no power unless Boehner gives it to them. And he gave it to them.

Congress Was Warned The Shutdown Would Delay Miltiary Death Benefits

It ends when Obama understands there are three branches of government.
He does. He was a professor of constitutional law at the University of Chicago. A pretty good school, unlike Liberty University (Falwell) and Regent University (Robertson).

The Congress writes the laws and appropriate the funding to run Congress.

"appropriates."

The Executive branch (Obama) is suppose to uphold the Constitution, enforce the laws that Congress passes and provide a budget to Congress which Congress is suppose to go through and pick what parts of the President's budget approperiations will be provided for and what parts will not, that's there job.

"supposed to." And he can do that by invoking the 14th Amendment and saying the debt ceiling, itself, is unconstitutional.

"their job." Their job is to do what the American people want. And in the only poll that matters, the American people said, "We want President Obama for a second term, because we approve his agenda, which includes Obamacare; and we reject yours, which includes repealing it." The Congressional Republicans are blocking the will of the American people.

The House did their job, Obama got every penny and more he requested for in his budget except the funding for Obamacare.

No, the House did NOT do their job. They didn't pass a budget that could be passed by the Senate and signed into law by the President.

It was Harry Reid under directions from Obama to reject the House budget. It was Obama, Harry Reid and the Democrats in the Senate who are responsible for the shutdown of the government.

No, they are quite willing to reopen the government, provided the House accepts the will of the American people. No President, and no Senator (unless you want to count Ted Cruz), has ever been responsible for shutting down the government. It was the House Republicans in 1995, and it is the House Republicans now.

It was Obama who directed that war/veterans memorials and parks to be closed, not Congress or the Republicans. There have been 17 government shutdowns since 1976 and not once were citizens or vetrans denied access to these closed memorials, parks or the National Mall.

No, because he can't control that. The Congress does, by spending the money necessary to keep them open -- or, in this case, not.

As we see today, illegal aliens are exempt from being denied access to the National Mall.

Because the House isn't funding the means to keep them out.

I would like some answers, why ?

You want answers? You think you're entitled? You want answers? You want the truth?

You can't handle the truth.

The American people demand that the Republicans allow a vote on a clean resolution -- which, after all, gives them everything they said they wanted anyway, except defunding Obamacare.

There's no winning for your side here. There's only degrees of losing -- and whether you're willing to take the rest of the country down with you, just because you hate the liberal black man that the American people twice chose as their President.

Back
Top Bottom