• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Shouldn't Obama Turn in the Nobel Peace Prize

I believe the President did the right upon receiving the award:

Barack Obama[edit source | editbeta]

Obama said he was "surprised" and "deeply humbled" by the award. He stated that he does not feel he deserved the award,[13][14] and that he did not feel worthy of the company the award would place him in. In remarks given at the White House Rose Garden on the day of the announcement, Obama stated, "I do not view it as a recognition of my own accomplishments but rather an affirmation of American leadership on behalf of aspirations held by people in all nations."[15]

"Throughout history, the Nobel Peace Prize has not just been used to honor specific achievement; it's also been used as a means to give momentum to a set of causes," Obama said. "And that is why I will accept this award as a call to action — a call for all nations to confront the common challenges of the 21st century." He said those common challenges included the goal of eliminating nuclear weapons (which he said might not occur in his lifetime), nuclear proliferation, climate change, tolerance "among people of different faiths and races and religions", peace between and security for Israelis and Palestinians, better social conditions for the world's poor, including "the ability to get an education and make a decent living; the security that you won't have to live in fear of disease or violence without hope for the future." The United States, he said, is "a country that's responsible for ending a war and working in another theater to confront a ruthless adversary that directly threatens the American people and our allies."[15]

The award, he said, "must be shared with everyone who strives for justice and dignity — for the young woman who marches silently in the streets on behalf of her right to be heard even in the face of beatings and bullets; for the leader imprisoned in her own home because she refuses to abandon her commitment to democracy; for the soldier who sacrificed through tour after tour of duty on behalf of someone half a world away; and for all those men and women across the world who sacrifice their safety and their freedom and sometime their lives for the cause of peace."[15] He did not take questions from reporters after giving his statement.

Obama announced early that he would donate the full 10 million Swedish kronor (about US$1.4 million) monetary award to charity.[16] The largest donations were given to the housing charity Fisher House Foundation who received $250,000, and the Clinton Bush Haiti Fund which received $200,000. Eight organizations which support education also received a donation. $125,000 was donated to the College Summit, the Posse Foundation, the United Negro College Fund, the Hispanic Scholarship Fund, the Appalachian Leadership and Education Foundation, and the American Indian College Fund. $100,000 was donated to Africare, and the Central Asia Institute.[17

Source

Peace thru strength? The strength was granted by Americas armed services with little credit to ofailure. He Nobel peace prize? How? Then he puts our nation at risk of war because of his off the cuff red line he attributes to the "world.". The man is a narcissist and threatens our way of life and you'd give him another undeserving prize? Says all about you I need to know!

The armed force is designed to be available to our elected president to act on behalf of the American people? The armed force is not there for red-necks or the south ...or for a republican president to abuse (like Bush).

Obama was twice elected ....because he was the best person for the job....so said the American people.

Obama acted when he saw a dictator gassing his people. Only because of Obama's actions, his impending threat to Assad did we see Assad stop...and now willing to give up those weapons.

I truly don't think you fools get it? Had Obama stood silently by while this killing occurred ...like Greece ..or Spain ...or Bulgaria ....Assad with Putin's weapons would still be gassing his people today.

Obama got Bin Laden ....and now here is today ridding the region of REAL - WMD. And he's doing it with no American GI casualty.

Compare that record to Bush ...who got 6000 GI's killed ....did not get Bin Laden ....and found no WMD!!

Or give it to Putin?

I mean seriously the man nearly starts a world war so his buddy the Saudi prince can have a pipeline through Syria and if it wasn't for Putin we could easily be at war right now. I think obama needs to hand his nobel prize over to Putin?

That is a great way to take a perfectly reasonable idea like Obama turning in his peace prize and remove any reason and sanity from it.

I don't see any evidence that it escalated to a point where it was anywhere near a war. They would have bombed it, sure, but with repeated denial of troops on the ground, calling it "world war" is as laughable as Obama getting the peace prize to begin with.

Why must I source an opinion of mine? I am free, able to have my own opinions, and profess them to the rooftops.
Even the whitehouse.gov web site lets me post my opinion and doesn't ask for "source" "source" "source." If this is the
only way you can protect your chosen dictator othewise known as our loser human the president of the US its a pretty
lame attempt.

Claiming that Obama almost started a third world war (twice) and that the one of the reasons he is for limited intervention is to put a pipeline through Syria for his Saudi buddies don't exactly fall into the realm of being merely opinion.

Though I'm not entirely sure why people think that claiming "Hey, it's just my opinion" suddenly means you don't have to back up what you say, or that you can't be dead wrong.

In any case, name calling is a particularly juvenile thing to do. You are neither intelligent or mature enough to have an actual conversation with.

THere are some people here who will always side against Obama. Patriots? Hardly.

Who are you to tell me what my opinion is and isn't. Those sure as hell ARE my opinions and if you don't like them offer evidence to the contrary or just say you differ but to day the aren't opinions makes you out to be some kind of fascist!

Claiming that Obama almost started a third world war (twice) and that the one of the reasons he is for limited intervention is to put a pipeline through Syria for his Saudi buddies don't exactly fall into the realm of being merely opinion.

Though I'm not entirely sure why people think that claiming "Hey, it's just my opinion" suddenly means you don't have to back up what you say, or that you can't be dead wrong.

In any case, name calling is a particularly juvenile thing to do. You are neither intelligent or mature enough to have an actual conversation with.

THere are some people here who will always side against Obama. Patriots? Hardly.

There are some people here who will always side with Obama. Patriots? Hardly.

There are some people here who will always side with Obama. Patriots? Hardly.

As an American, I'd rather side with Obama than Putin. :roll:

Putin lovers are traitors. They should move to Russia where they can endlessly worship their shirtless hero.

As an American, I'd rather side with Obama than Putin. :roll:

Putin lovers are traitors. They should move to Russia where they can endlessly worship their shirtless hero.

Romney would be a better choice than either, but Obama lovers have made up their minds and will not reconsider no matter how badly their messiah screws up.

Or give it to Putin?

I mean seriously the man nearly starts a world war so his buddy the Saudi prince can have a pipeline through Syria and if it wasn't for Putin we could easily be at war right now. I think obama needs to hand his nobel prize over to Putin?

Obama should never have been given the Nobel Peace prize to start with, having done NOTHING to earn it then, nor anything of any significance since.

Most correct. It should make it easy for him to give it to a leader that did earn it and avoided unnecessary conflict!

BTW over 1600 signatures and growing !!!!!

Obama should never have been given the Nobel Peace prize to start with, having done NOTHING to earn it then, nor anything of any significance since.

Romney would be a better choice than either, but Obama lovers have made up their minds and will not reconsider no matter how badly their messiah screws up.
Are you implying that we would somehow not be at war with Syria if Romney was president? Judging by McCain's continuing beat on the war drums, I find that to be highly unlikely.

Most correct. It should make it easy for him to give it to a leader that did earn it and avoided unnecessary conflict!

BTW over 1600 signatures and growing !!!!!

lol making the NSA's job easier by the minute.

Are you implying that we would somehow not be at war with Syria if Romney was president? Judging by McCain's continuing beat on the war drums, I find that to be highly unlikely.

Are you implying that we are somehow at war with Syria now? And what does McCain have to do with what a president Romney might or might not have done?

Once again, it was Obama's fault that he was given the prize.
He should have disrespected the world community like Cheney.
And he should have let bin Laden go like Bush.

Once again, it was Obama's fault that he was given the prize.
He should have disrespected the world community like Cheney.
And he should have let bin Laden go like Bush.

Of course not, it is on him that he accepted it. I don't really think the former VP was nominated for any major awards.

Nothing to hide, unless of course you are suggesting this regime uses the NSA to monitor political opponents? If you support that you should be ashamed. If this regime does that they should be turned out by law.

lol making the NSA's job easier by the minute.

Nothing to hide, unless of course you are suggesting this regime uses the NSA to monitor political opponents? If you support that you should be ashamed. If this regime does that they should be turned out by law.

Singing praises to Putin in a time of war...I'd hope they do investigate all of you for unAmerican activities. Give you Rightwingers a taste of your own medicine.

Totally partisan.
And if he doesn't accept it, he disrespects the World community.
And then the many tentacles of the right-wing octopus would have strangled Obama for that.
Of course not, it is on him that he accepted it. I don't really think the former VP was nominated for any major awards.

Totally partisan.
And if he doesn't accept it, he disrespects the World community.
And then the many tentacles of the right-wing octopus would have strangled Obama for that.

You appear to see everything as partisan. It is on the President for accepting such an award without a qualifying accomplishment. As far as I know, only the Nobel Committee would have been impacted. He had an opportunity to make two speeches, he chose the Thank You for this award speech, instead of the No thank you, but I will work to be worthy of one someday.

And you also.
So, is Le Duc Tho equivalent to Obama as the only one to do so?
This thread is just more nonsense anti-Obama.
You appear to see everything as partisan. It is on the President for accepting such an award without a qualifying accomplishment. As far as I know, only the Nobel Committee would have been impacted. He had an opportunity to make two speeches, he chose the Thank You for this award speech, instead of the No thank you, but I will work to be worthy of one someday.

Last edited:
Singing praises to Putin in a time of war...I'd hope they do investigate all of you for unAmerican activities. Give you Rightwingers a taste of your own medicine.

Yeah so much for free speech huh. Typical fascist.

BTW we arent at war....thanks to Putin.

Back
Top Bottom