• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should there be a maximum age for people eligible to run for president?

I'm almost afraid to ask, but what is a "real American"?

People that haven't sold their souls to status quo politics and corporate interests in order to get the funding currently needed to run a campaign. By "real American" I mostly meant people that you would be more likely to consider everyday people. People that actually know what it's like to be part of the masses. People with a down to Earth perspective. Currently it's set up to allow rich individuals and corporate interests to buy and corrupt our politicians.

By "real American" I mostly meant people that you would be more likely to consider everyday people. People that actually know what it's like to be part of the masses. People with a down to Earth perspective.

Honest, decent, people do not want anything to do with politics. Different kinds of jobs attract different kinds of people. Kindergarten teachers tend to be warm and kind, while cops are likely to be control freaks. Political power attracts the worst of society, not the best. The typical politician has the ethics of a used car salesman and the morality of a child molester. It has nothing to do with how campaigns are financed - decent people will always stay away.

Currently it's set up to allow rich individuals and corporate interests to buy and corrupt our politicians.

Good Lord, you write as if our poor babies are being forced to take the dirty money. I have some bitter news for you: "our" politicians want to make deals with lobbyists. They want the dirty money. I don't even consider it corruption, as it is commonplace in all democracies for wealthy individuals/corporations and politicians/bureaucrats to "work together".

In my view it shouldn't be acceptable for a bunch of dinosaurs to be running for president because they don't have a stake in the future they're helping to carve out. If I had it my way nobody older than 50 would be allowed to run for a first term. I'd love to see something similar done for people running for congress too. I think Obama was the perfect age for a president.

No. Voters can decide for themselves. That's what voters are for.

Millionaires and billionaires in their 70s and 80s do not represent the people. Most of these guys have spent 20-30 years neck deep in status quo corruption.

Prove it.

I absolutely, wholeheartedly support age limits for a presidential candidate. There would have been many who would not qualify under age limit rules. Bernie Sanders, Donald Trump, Joe Biden, Mike Bloomberg and Elizabeth Warren to name a few.

Every person in this country has to be a certain age in order to begin receiving their social security benefit. By imposing these minimum age requirements for S.S. benefits, the government has in fact admitted that there is an age where people will become vulnerable to both physical, mental and emotional factors which will affect their lives. Why should a presidential candidate be any different?

The age limit for any candidate should be the same age as the qualification for S.S., which is around 67 years of age for most. If they're going to be older than 67 when taking office, they should not be allowed to have their name on the ballot.

I'm also in favor of term limits for Senators, it should be a two term limit, no matter what. Being allowed to keep running for re-election term after term, dragging out their tenure to many decades only presents more opportunities for them to become compromised by outside influences over time, and that should not be the case, it doesn't server the interests of the American people.

You really think a Senator who won a second term and knows he/she never is accountable to voters ever again is going to be some paragon of promoting the public good?

I don’t think you need an age maximum although I get why people might want one. These candidates are elected and then re-elected for years and so really it should be more about term limits to me than age.

In my view it shouldn't be acceptable for a bunch of dinosaurs to be running for president because they don't have a stake in the future they're helping to carve out. If I had it my way nobody older than 50 would be allowed to run for a first term. I'd love to see something similar done for people running for congress too. I think Obama was the perfect age for a president.

then those are the kinds of candidates you should select on your ballot. Me, I think Obama would still care plenty about the next generation ten or twenty years later and probably until he dies. Older people have a stake in the world they are leaving their grandkids and great grandkids. Its not the number. Its the person holding that number that matters.

Ageism as insidious as sexism and racism. Lets not enshrine it in the constitution. Here you go, sir Ageism - Wikipedia
Ageism, also spelled agism, is stereotyping and/or discrimination against individuals or groups on the basis of their age. This may be casual or systematic.[1][2] The term was coined in 1969 by Robert Neil Butler to describe discrimination against seniors, and patterned on sexism and racism.[3] Butler defined "ageism" as a combination of three connected elements. Among them were prejudicial attitudes towards older people, old age, and the aging process; discriminatory practices against older people; and institutional practices and policies that perpetuate stereotypes about elderly people.[4]
While the term is also used in regards to prejudice and discrimination against adolescents and children, such as denying them certain rights (e.g. voting),[5] ignoring their ideas because they are considered "too young", or assuming that they should behave in certain ways because of their age,[6] the term is predominantly used in relation to the treatment of older people. Older people themselves can be deeply ageist, having internalized a lifetime of negative stereotypes about aging.[7] Fear of death and fear of disability and dependence are major causes of ageism; avoiding, segregating, and rejecting older people are coping mechanisms that allow people to avoid thinking about their own mortality.[8]

Contrary to common and more obvious forms of stereotyping, such as racism and sexism, ageism is more resistant to change. For instance, if a child believes in an ageist idea against the elderly, fewer people correct them, and, as a result, individuals grow up believing in ageist ideas, even elders themselves.[22] In other words, ageism can become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

In a classic study in 1994, researchers analyzed the effects of ageism among the elderly.[23] They performed memory tests on three selected groups: residents of China, deaf North Americans, and hearing North Americans. In the three groups, the Chinese residents were presumably the least exposed to ageism, with lifelong experience in a culture that traditionally venerates older generations. Lifelong deaf North Americans also faced less exposure to ageism in contrast to those with typical hearing, who presumably had heard ageist comments their whole life. The results of the memory tests showed that ageism has significant effects on memory.
The gap in the scores between the young and old North Americans with normal hearing were double those of the deaf North Americans and five times wider than those of the Chinese participants. The results show that ageism undermines ability through its self-fulfilling nature.[22] The study was investigating the effect of the stereotype threat, which has been explored as a possible reason for memory deficits,[24] though the stereotype threat has been criticized.[25]
On the other hand, when elders show larger independence and control in their lives, defying ageist assumptions, they are more likely to be healthier, both mentally and physically, than other people their age.[22]

Last edited:
Should we lower or remove the minimum?

I don't really like to delve in fantasies as that will probably never happen. But, I'm not against lowering it but would not remove it.

You really think a Senator who won a second term and knows he/she never is accountable to voters ever again is going to be some paragon of promoting the public good?

Yes, every bit as much, if not more than a Senator who is comfortable believing that he can do whatever the hell he wants and not be made accountable at the polls for it.

Yes, every bit as much, if not more than a Senator who is comfortable believing that he can do whatever the hell he wants and not be made accountable at the polls for it.

How does the senator never having to run for reelection make them MORE accountable?

It's important to ask the question why. You stated that they might not have as much riding on the future if they expect to die soon. That's fair. There are arguments about mental fitness and chance of decline in capabilities. There are arguments about being too entrenched in past politics or the establishment after 30 to 40 years in the system. Also fair.

I think the big problem with an upper age limit is that people age differently, and the numerical age isnt really indicative of health or effective age. 70 can mean death bed or spry whippersnapper that looks 50 depending on how well theyve taken care of themselves and their genetics. So, it's not a great indicator on the majority of issues I listed above. Pushing 80 or 90 there might be some consensus that it's around too old. 10 to 20 year term limits I think would be wise for both judiciary and legislative positions.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

How does the senator never having to run for reelection make them MORE accountable?

Take any one of the bastards in the GOP Senate, McConnell, Cruz, John Thune, John Barrasso, Joni Ernst and Lindsey Graham. Each is a consecutive- serving senator and beating any one of them is a long-shot for any contender. This makes them less vulnerable, more powerful, and they know it. They become immensely empowered to do or say whatever they want and to vote strictly along party lines, not in accordance with 'right and wrong' or what their conscience tells them to do.

If they begin feeling that they're vulnerable, which is actually happening right now, they may just re-think their strategies which is to vote according to how Mitch McConnell tells them to vote. Again, using Lindsey Graham as an example, he switches his alliances according to how public opinion is going. He was one thousand percent anti-Trump while John McCain was alive because John McCain held a very powerful position in the U.S. Senate and Lindsey Graham rode on his skirt-tails. Then McCain died and there went Lindsey Graham's shield and power. What did he do? He instantly switched sides and was suddenly all-in for Trump and went totally against everything he used John McCain for.

They're all users and will use Trump when it benefits them but they will abandon him in a heartbeat if they see public opinion turning on Trump and subsequently on them for supporting him.

Take any one of the bastards in the GOP Senate, McConnell, Cruz, John Thune, John Barrasso, Joni Ernst and Lindsey Graham. Each is a consecutive- serving senator and beating any one of them is a long-shot for any contender. This makes them less vulnerable, more powerful, and they know it. They become immensely empowered to do or say whatever they want and to vote strictly along party lines, not in accordance with 'right and wrong' or what their conscience tells them to do.

If they begin feeling that they're vulnerable, which is actually happening right now, they may just re-think their strategies which is to vote according to how Mitch McConnell tells them to vote. Again, using Lindsey Graham as an example, he switches his alliances according to how public opinion is going. He was one thousand percent anti-Trump while John McCain was alive because John McCain held a very powerful position in the U.S. Senate and Lindsey Graham rode on his skirt-tails. Then McCain died and there went Lindsey Graham's shield and power. What did he do? He instantly switched sides and was suddenly all-in for Trump and went totally against everything he used John McCain for.

They're all users and will use Trump when it benefits them but they will abandon him in a heartbeat if they see public opinion turning on Trump and subsequently on them for supporting him.

Note that it is only Republican senators and Trump supporters that she has a problem with.

Note that it is only Republican senators and Trump supporters that she has a problem with.

Right, because each one of them refused to do the right thing and impeach this bastard. So, they're all useless trash in my opinion.

Right, because each one of them refused to do the right thing and impeach this bastard. So, they're all useless trash in my opinion.

So you think that removing President Trump from office was a no brainer?

Got it.

I absolutely, wholeheartedly support age limits for a presidential candidate. There would have been many who would not qualify under age limit rules. Bernie Sanders, Donald Trump, Joe Biden, Mike Bloomberg and Elizabeth Warren to name a few.

Every person in this country has to be a certain age in order to begin receiving their social security benefit. By imposing these minimum age requirements for S.S. benefits, the government has in fact admitted that there is an age where people will become vulnerable to both physical, mental and emotional factors which will affect their lives. Why should a presidential candidate be any different?

The age limit for any candidate should be the same age as the qualification for S.S., which is around 67 years of age for most. If they're going to be older than 67 when taking office, they should not be allowed to have their name on the ballot.

I'm also in favor of term limits for Senators, it should be a two term limit, no matter what. Being allowed to keep running for re-election term after term, dragging out their tenure to many decades only presents more opportunities for them to become compromised by outside influences over time, and that should not be the case, it doesn't server the interests of the American people.

In 1935 when Social Security was established life expectancy in the US was 61 years. In 2020 it is 79.8. The age to receive benefits 65 was in earlier years a mandatory retirement age across most of the country, and social security was retirement income. At that time people were 4 years past their life expectancy at 65.

I don't think there should be maximum ages for people running for office. I do think that physical and cognitive exams should be given to presidents.

Ab-so-****ing-lutely

Is it safe to assume that at no point did you think he should ever be president anyway?

One could argue then that everything you've posted has been "confirmation bias".

I would take that idea farther and say that everyone over age 50 should be euthanized. People start to go downhill fast after that age, both cognitively and physically. They are a terrible drain on healthcare. And because they have seniority at their jobs, they are paid much more than younger more productive workers.

I say get rid of them altogether.

Is it safe to assume that at no point did you think he should ever be president anyway?

One could argue then that everything you've posted has been "confirmation bias".

Listen, I've known about Trump for the past 30 years and no way in Hell did I ever for an instant believe he should ever be within 200 miles of the White House. He's a toxic, corrupt man. Yes, I am absolutely biased against this bastard and not shy about letting anyone know I am.

Back
Top Bottom