• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should The United States Permanently Stay On Daylight Savings Time or Standard Time?

Should the United States stay on permanent Daylights Savings Time or permanent Standard Time?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Time is an abstract concept, why not change your clocks 4 times a year

I just want the practice of switching our clocks to end. It is amazing that we went from having the best Legislature on Earth to having the worst in a generation, one that cannot even agree about stopping this inane practice.
Why is it inane?

I love it and ot makes sense.

I keep asking and so far no one answers.

Time is an abstract concept, why not change your clocks 4 times a year
'Cept there's nothing abstract in losing an hour's sleep, or having to reset the myriad of clocks in our homes, cars, and businesses. ;)

'Cept there's nothing abstract in losing an hour's sleep, or having to reset the myriad of clocks in our homes, cars, and businesses. ;)
First of all, if you don't want to lose an hours sleep then don't.

I never do (not because of the time change anyway).

Secondly, how many antique clocks do you have in your home, cars, and businesses?

Every clock I have resets itself in my home, car, phone, and office.

The notable exceptions being the grandfather clock, and the old fashioned clock above the kitchen sink.

That’s not daylights fault 😉

I like it the way it is. Morning or evening...rush hour in the dark stinks.

We don’t change in AZ, but I was in TX last weekend, so I got hit.

If the choice is all DST or no DST, then I choose no DAT.

We should keep DST in the summer, but not all year round. March and November are too early and too late. It should start in mid April and end in mid September.

You don't have to lose an hour's sleep though. Most people aren't even doing anything on Sunday morning so could absorb it there or just work on going to bed a little earlier, either the Saturday night before or, if needed, building up to that.

And the vast majority of clocks we use now (most of us anyway) don't require anyone to reset them, they do it automatically. The only clock we have to touch after the time change is the one in my car. And honestly, a lot of times, it just stays off because I don't use it to seriously tell time. (I do chuckle when I get in the car after my husband has driven it and the time is correct though.)

You don't have to lose an hour's sleep though. Most people aren't even doing anything on Sunday morning so could absorb it there or just work on going to bed a little earlier, either the Saturday night before or, if needed, building up to that.

And the vast majority of clocks we use now (most of us anyway) don't require anyone to reset them, they do it automatically. The only clock we have to touch after the time change is the one in my car. And honestly, a lot of times, it just stays off because I don't use it to seriously tell time. (I do chuckle when I get in the car after my husband has driven it and the time is correct though.)
Well, but you DO lose an hour, whether it's of sleep or something else.

And in our house, we have to change our alarm clocks, our microwave clock, our range clock, both our vehicle clocks, our decorative wall clock and several other radio clocks.

Most are simple enough to change, but I had to remember where in the expanse of my vehicle's settings menus the setting for the clock was. Fortunately, for my new car, all it took was finding the right menu and checking "DST" for Daylight Savings. But in my work vehicle, which is 8 years older, the method wasn't nearly so straightforward.

Meh - perhaps we just complain too much. :)

The actual day isn't actually an hour shorter.
And in our house, we have to change our alarm clocks, our microwave clock, our range clock, both our vehicle clocks, our decorative wall clock and several other radio clocks.

Most are simple enough to change, but I had to remember where in the expanse of my vehicle's settings menus the setting for the clock was. Fortunately, for my new car, all it took was finding the right menu and checking "DST" for Daylight Savings. But in my work vehicle, which is 8 years older, the method wasn't nearly so straightforward.

Maybe the whole world should synchronize their clocks. The eastern hemisphere starts work at 8am and the west at 8pm.
No more time zones.

Its good the way it is, where is that choice? Daylight savings gives light late in the evening and standard time provides light in the morning for those short winter days.

You get an extra hour for whatever back later in the year. The hour isn't really "lost", just moved.

You get an extra hour for whatever back later in the year. The hour isn't really "lost", just moved.
Well, true. But that's little consolation in March when we wake up, having lost an hour that morning. ;)

And come November again, we also get to change our watches, alarm clocks, our microwave clock, our range clock, both our vehicle clocks, our decorative wall clock and several other radio clocks back an hour...

Well, true. But that's little consolation in March when we wake up, having lost an hour that morning. ;)

And come November again, we also get to change our watches, alarm clocks, our microwave clock, our range clock, both our vehicle clocks, our decorative wall clock and several other radio clocks back an hour...
This just all sounds like complaining.

This just all sounds like complaining.
1710637745769.jpeg

:)

Unpopular opinion alert.

I don't mind the switching back and forth. In fact, my cell phone, my desktop computer and Roku automatically adjusts it for me.

I quite frankly don't get the point. Each state can decide if they want to engage in "spring forward, fall back". Why do we want the federal government to ban the practice?

The whole point is to give people more sunlight in the evening and less sunlight in the morning during the Spring and Summer, and less sunlight in the evening and more sunlight in the morning during the winter season.

Is our objection based on the concept that we don't like the hour switch or the fact that in the summer time, we get more sun in the evening?

if there is ever going to be Daylight Saving Time year-round, than all of Indiana needs to be in the Central Time Zone.

if there is ever going to be Daylight Saving Time year-round, than all of Indiana needs to be in the Central Time Zone.

MapChart Map.png

If the time zones were run according to their designated lines of longitude, all of Indiana should be well into the Central Time Zone.

Back
Top Bottom