• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should The United States Permanently Stay On Daylight Savings Time or Standard Time?

Should the United States stay on permanent Daylights Savings Time or permanent Standard Time?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

substantialmajestic

DP Veteran
Reaction score
If the United States were to stop changing the clocks back and forth each year, would you prefer the United States stay on permanent Daylight Savings time or stay on permanent Standard Time?

This question is asked every six months and it would be nice if we got rid of those stupid time change law, but we won't. If it happens, I don't care if we are on permanent standard or daylight time though.

After becoming an expat I now live in a country with no DST. Thank goodness. Its the most useless thing ever.
second most……….;)

In Boston during standard time you wake up and leave for work in the dark. Around 4:30 pm it's completely dark outside so you leave work in the dark. Unless one is a mole this sucks.

Neither. I like the switching.

And because yall can't agree, I get my way of all of us staying with what we're doing now, switching every 6 months. At least for some time longer.

Permanent daylight savings time. I couldn't care less whether it's dark in the morning, give me the extra sunshine after work.

That’s the opposite of my reasoning, since it makes more kids have to go to school in the dark.

I don't care which one we pick as long as it doesn't change.

We could just put them both in a hat and pick one for all i care.

If the United States were to stop changing the clocks back and forth each year, would you prefer the United States stay on permanent Daylight Savings time or stay on permanent Standard Time?
Living in florida, I would like to see daylight savings time start in october and run through march or april. Longer daylight when it's not so blasted hot.

I would like clock switching proponents to move to an island where I control the time. Basically, they'd be going about their day, and I'd randomly switch the time back to 6 AM or forward to midnight. Then they would know exactly how I feel twice a year.

I don't give a coyote's howl as to which one. Just do away with the time change, period. Choose one, either one and stay on it.

I really do not give a shit which one is picked, so long as one is eventually picked and we stay that way. No more twice per year time changes.

Plenty of nations still do this, arguably western influenced mostly but not entirely, and we have simply evolved away from the need.

Pick one, stay on that choice, and deal.

I would like clock switching proponents to move to an island where I control the time. Basically, they'd be going about their day, and I'd randomly switch the time back to 6 AM or forward to midnight. Then they would know exactly how I feel twice a year.
But that's not what happens. You get advanced notice, whether you notice or not, of the time switching, whichever way it does. How you feel doesn't change that isn't reality. In fact, it is always the second Sunday of March and the first Sunday of November. That doesn't change. It isn't someone randomly switching or controlling the time. It is set.

Interestingly, we did try going to permanent DST in the 70s, and people hated it (according to this article). I wasn't born yet, but I can definitely see this, especially since, as I've already noted, people can't agree on which to go to.

This seems to potentially be a "the grass is always greener" situation.

NEITHER. I do not want to give up long evenings in the summer. Nor do I want kids having to go to school in the dark for more months than they currently do. For those of you who just "CAN'T" adjust---Suck it up Buttercup!

NEITHER. I do not want to give up long evenings in the summer. Nor do I want kids having to go to school in the dark for more months than they currently do. For those of you who just "CAN'T" adjust---Suck it up Buttercup!
Depends on what latitude you live at, I think. Low latitudes, like the tropics, it's always 12 and 12. The further from the equator, the more exaggerated the seasonal difference. Where I am, about 50° north, even with the current system it can be hard to start work outside at 8am in mid December and without turning the clocks ahead in spring the sun would come up in the wee hours of the morning mid-summer.
I like the current system too, in other words, but since I've retired it's less important to me.

Depends on what latitude you live at, I think. Low latitudes, like the tropics, it's always 12 and 12. The further from the equator, the more exaggerated the seasonal difference. Where I am, about 50° north, even with the current system it can be hard to start work outside at 8am in mid December and without turning the clocks ahead in spring the sun would come up in the wee hours of the morning mid-summer.
I like the current system too, in other words, but since I've retired it's less important to me.
It also depends on whether you are on the eastern or western side of your time zone. If on the eastern side, you can't wait for DST. On the west side, a few dread it.

Interestingly, we did try going to permanent DST in the 70s, and people hated it (according to this article). I wasn't born yet, but I can definitely see this, especially since, as I've already noted, people can't agree on which to go to.

This seems to potentially be a "the grass is always greener" situation.
But it doesn’t change that is objectively better mental health wise to have more sunlight in the evening, and it has more affect the more North you go. People like to enjoy their evenings. There is a reason Russia changed permanently to DST.

I think that putting the whole country on GMT makes more sense than stupid clock switching. If given a choice between GMT and DST, I'd choose GMT.

But it doesn’t change that is objectively better mental health wise to have more sunlight in the evening, and it has more affect the more North you go. People like to enjoy their evenings. There is a reason Russia changed permanently to DST.
Again, people tried it, and it failed about 50 years ago. Doesn't mean we can't do it again, I would just prefer to stay as we are. And I'd say that there is definitely room to debate whether it truly is better to stay on one or the other, particularly since we seem to be saying the US as a whole has to go with one or the other, meaning that we'd see problems from one area of the US or the other depending on which way we adopt.

Back
Top Bottom