• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should the state have the power of arrest for people who refuse to evacuate?

Fearandloathing

How long is now?
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Last summer this part of the world recorded the worst string of forest fires in recorded history. Partly due to the record heat but more by careless people, more than 30 homes were destroyed.

When the fires erupt, anyone in its path is advised to evacuate. However, many choose to stay and defend their property, those from some years ago say it is the only thing that saved them.

Now, our provincial government wants to give police the power of arrest for people who refuse

Boundary-region residents against evacuation order enforcement idea - British Columbia - CBC News

What say you? Should person be allowed to take that risk, or dose the potential for rescue workers to be injured top an owner's right to defend his property.

Last summer this part of the world recorded the worst string of forest fires in recorded history. Partly due to the record heat but more by careless people, more than 30 homes were destroyed.

When the fires erupt, anyone in its path is advised to evacuate. However, many choose to stay and defend their property, those from some years ago say it is the only thing that saved them.

Now, our provincial government wants to give police the power of arrest for people who refuse

Boundary-region residents against evacuation order enforcement idea - British Columbia - CBC News

What say you? Should person be allowed to take that risk, or dose the potential for rescue workers to be injured top an owner's right to defend his property.
My local county has a way of dealing with this for Hurricanes.
They do not make them leave, but give them toe tags to fill out before the officer leaves.
Most end up leaving!

My local county has a way of dealing with this for Hurricanes.
They do not make them leave, but give them toe tags to fill out before the officer leaves.
Most end up leaving!

:lamo:lamo

That's awesome! I am going to craft a letter to the premier of the province right now.

I will also advise we do the same with idiot skiers who like to go in areas of avalanche.

On the weekend 16 snowmobilers were caught and had to be rescued. Two dead

Missing people in avalanche backcountry put search and rescue in difficult position - British Columbia - CBC News

So now we give out toe tags to people who want to chance it. Maybe collect burial costs too!

People have the right to risk their own lives. Hell, they should have the right to kill themselves directly if they wish.

If you don't want to risk rescue personnel sending them after idiots, don't send them.

People should be allowed to stay and defend their property. If they die, they die. I would want to stay behind, and I've been in some harrowing fights with Southern California wildfires before. As such, my comments come from experience.

The real problem is the first responders desire to protect human life. If people stay, first responders have to find a way to not give in to their training and instinct. Otherwise, these well meaning, but ridiculous proposals, gain some traction as soon as a firefighter or someone else is injured trying to rescue someone who refused to leave.

Interesting topic. I suppose I would oblige those refusing to evacuate to sign a "I give up any right to rescue or assistance" declaration and let them stay.

Since they pay for your healthcare, they have every right to dictate any and all actions you take.

Trick issue. On one hand, I think people have a right to do dangerous and stupid things, so long as they don't endanger others.

On the other hand, when the fires or other disaster come, and you cry out for help, and some brave soul loses his life trying to help you, when otherwise he might not have, you can't help but think that it would have been far better to have simply removed that person by force.

So, how about this...you won't be forced to leave, but if you stay, and you end up needing rescue, then a heft fine or possible jail time would be incurred.

You should definitely have the choice to stay if you so wish. However, if you do stay after a formal warning been issued then you forfeit your right to emergency assistance.

Since they pay for your healthcare, they have every right to dictate any and all actions you take.

Ah, absolutely NOT.

Canadian health care is universal. The "government" does not pay anything for anyone, it is the taxpayer overall. We have been through this all the way top the Supreme court. Because medical bills are 'covered' by universal insurance it does give any additional rights and privileges to a government..NOTHING tops the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

If the government want validity in doing this, they cannot use that a reason. There again we have the slippery slope...if a government use the right to health care as an excuse, then every skier in Canada would have to wear protective head gear and it would not be long before they found other excuses to intyrude in our lives.

Ah, absolutely NOT.

Canadian health care is universal. The "government" does not pay anything for anyone, it is the taxpayer overall. We have been through this all the way top the Supreme court. Because medical bills are 'covered' by universal insurance it does give any additional rights and privileges to a government..NOTHING tops the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

If the government want validity in doing this, they cannot use that a reason. There again we have the slippery slope...if a government use the right to health care as an excuse, then every skier in Canada would have to wear protective head gear and it would not be long before they found other excuses to intyrude in our lives.
I'm sorry but your fellow tax payers have a right to have the government keep you from causing high medical bills because you refuse to make smart choices. They are paying for your health, you are not to harm your health if the government deems your actions, like not fleeing a fire, to be harmful.

I say yes they can force you to leave if the threat is severe enough. I agree with what others have said and if the scenario plays out someone will be coming to rescue you. That puts their life in danger. I don't agree with having them waive the right to rescue, or anything like that. The people who rescue others in those situations are not going to suddenly ignore you because a piece of paper said to. Fining or jail won't work either; people would feel bad about everything else and would never impose the penalty. In the end time, resources, and lives will be needlessly risked to help the people who refuse. Leave or be arrested and forcibly removed. It should be that simple.

I'm sorry but your fellow tax payers have a right to have the government keep you from causing high medical bills because you refuse to make smart choices. They are paying for your health, you are not to harm your health if the government deems your actions, like not fleeing a fire, to be harmful.

Oh you're telling the Supreme Court of Canada how to rule on law?

It's decided on that count.

You can rant all you like, but it will NEVER change.

Here, the problem is wild fires. Property owners are told to clear at least 100 feet around their homes as "defensible space." Some do, some don't. What do the firefighters do about the homes with no defensible space? Do they fine the owners? Nope. they don't do anything. They just go on to the next house.

Oh well, you lost your house and maybe, if you decided to stay after having been told to evacuate, you lost your life. That was your decision, and you take the consequences.

Passing a law against folly does not eliminate fools.

But, I like the toe tag idea. I think it could be applied to the motorcyclists who like to weave from lane to lane passing all the cars as well. They should also sign an organ donor card. Helmets? Oh, that's up to you.

Oh you're telling the Supreme Court of Canada how to rule on law?

It's decided on that count.

You can rant all you like, but it will NEVER change.

Yet here you are, asking if they can force you to evacuate...

Like the old coot who blew up with Mount St. Helens, people should have the right to make that decision. And why send in rescue workers to help people who refuse to evacuate? Seems to me they assume the risk that bad **** will happen. We have the same problem with Hurricanes. What the authorities here say is, "Folks, during the storm we're not sending out rescue personnel. You're on your own if you choose not to evacuate." Of course, you end up with dead bodies, but at least it addresses the issue of risk to rescue personnel.

Like the old coot who blew up with Mount St. Helens, people should have the right to make that decision. And why send in rescue workers to help people who refuse to evacuate? Seems to me they assume the risk that bad **** will happen. We have the same problem with Hurricanes. What the authorities here say is, "Folks, during the storm we're not sending out rescue personnel. You're on your own if you choose not to evacuate." Of course, you end up with dead bodies, but at least it addresses the issue of risk to rescue personnel.

I had forgotten him. The latest is that he was DB Cooper of hijacking fame.

Yet here you are, asking if they can force you to evacuate...

What the ****?

You really don't pay attention do you?

The POINT I made was using universal health care as an EXCUSE to pass legislation as you proposed. It will NEVER happen.

As to what you intended to mean with this post I have not one ****ing idea. I tell you the Supreme court has ruled [on that narrow issue] and you dispute it as if your opinion is somehow more important!

We are done here. Have a nice day.

What the ****?

You really don't pay attention do you?

The POINT I made was using universal health care as an EXCUSE to pass legislation as you proposed. It will NEVER happen.

As to what you intended to mean with this post I have not one ****ing idea. I tell you the Supreme court has ruled [on that narrow issue] and you dispute it as if your opinion is somehow more important!

We are done here. Have a nice day.

Hey FL, calm down. Whatever excuse they GIVE, that will be in the background, of course they cannot officially point to it but... it's a motivation.

Since US citizens can go to an emergency room and be treated without regard to ability to pay, perhaps the same logic could apply here, south of the border.

Since US citizens can go to an emergency room and be treated without regard to ability to pay, perhaps the same logic could apply here, south of the border.

Every Bernie voter would agree.

Hey FL, calm down. Whatever excuse they GIVE, that will be in the background, of course they cannot officially point to it but... it's a motivation.

Oh gee, thank you so much for the advice. Now what the **** are you talking about?

The bold isn't even a complete sentence

If the person wishes to decline evacuation and take their chances, I believe that is their choice to make as an adult.

I would also say that having been thus warned, if they refuse evac, then emergency services is no longer under any obligation to them in the current situation. In others words, "Ok, you on your own."

Oh HAIL no.

Think a minute about how slippery that slope is. You're kicking the door open towards gov't legislating your breakfast and requiring mandatory exercise.

Back
Top Bottom