• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Should Marijuana be legalized and regulated?

Should Marijuana be legalized and regulated?

• Yes, everybody must get stoned

Votes: 37 69.8%
  • Yes, but only for medicinal and industrial purposes

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • No, all those druggies can go up in smoke

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • No, and we should increase current penalties

Votes: 3 5.7%

• Total voters
Lets legalize all drugs so we can all stay stoned all the time.......It will be special fun when we all get out on the highway stoned out of our minds.......Just think of the fun playing bumper cars..........:roll:

Navy Pride said:
Lets legalize all drugs so we can all stay stoned all the time.......It will be special fun when we all get out on the highway stoned out of our minds.......Just think of the fun playing bumper cars..........:roll:

There are already laws on the books about driving while intoxicated. So why shouldn't people be able to use marijuana when they AREN'T driving?

Kandahar said:
There are already laws on the books about driving while intoxicated. So why shouldn't people be able to use marijuana when they AREN'T driving?

There are laws against drinking and driving to but still thousands of people are killed by drunk drivers every year so what is to stop the people that are atoned out of their minds on grass, coke, or heroin from driving?

And don't give me this crap about we are talking only about grass because like beer it leads to whiskey and grass leads to hard drugs...........

Navy Pride said:
Lets legalize all drugs so we can all stay stoned all the time...It will be special fun when we all get out on the highway stoned out of our minds...

I'm sure similar arguments could have been used to oppose the repeal of Prohibition.

This isn't about whether or not marijuana use is a good thing-- and, in my opinion, this isn't about whether or not American citizens have sovereignity over their own bodies. Plain and simple, this is about whether or not our current policies are justified; do the supposed benefits of the War on Drugs justify the massive expenditures and lost revenues incurred?

Given that every year we learn that the average first occurrence of illegal drug use is earlier than it was last year, and that greater percentages of our children and the population in general have used or currently use illegal drugs, I am forced to conclude that there haven't been any benefits to the War on Drugs, and that every dollar we have spent on it has been wasted.

If we want to spend our money on reducing drug abuse, we should cut ineffective programs and channel that money into programs that actually work.

Another cockamamie poll.

Why isn't there an option that says "Yes, it's none of my business what others do to their bodies"?

Navy Pride said:
There are laws against drinking and driving to but still thousands of people are killed by drunk drivers every year so what is to stop the people that are atoned out of their minds on grass, coke, or heroin from driving?

And don't give me this crap about we are talking only about grass because like beer it leads to whiskey and grass leads to hard drugs...........

there are laws against driving while intoxicated. yet people do it anyway.

You're using that argument against the legalization of anything?:roll:

Scarecrow Akhbar said:
there are laws against driving while intoxicated. yet people do it anyway.

You're using that argument against the legalization of anything?:roll:

Wrong again, I am against legalizing anything that kills more innocent people and if you don't think that a bunch of people stoned out of their minds won't kill innocent poeople then your.............Never mind.....

jamesrage said:
My tax dollars are already spent on abortion.Why wouldn't some junkie claim a illness and that only medical marijunana can help eliminate his pain and then find a way to scam the government to pay for it?

So, what you're saying is that you're willing to have hundreds of billions of taxpayer dollars spent on the prohibition of a plant because you're afraid the government might have to spend a couple million, tops, to procure the plant for the medical needs of the indigent?

THAT'S BRILLIANT!

Scarecrow Akhbar said:
Why isn't there an option that says "Yes, it's none of my business what others do to their bodies"?

Because, in general, the moral conduct of our neighbors and countrymen is our business?

Navy Pride said:
Wrong again, I am against legalizing anything that kills more innocent people and if you don't think that a bunch of people stoned out of their minds won't kill innocent poeople then your.............Never mind.....

You're argument is flawed, it lacks statistical support, and generally reflects a form of personal hysteria rather than a reasoned opposition.

So you'd rather see the existence of a black market, massive funding of gang activity, and our interference in the economies of foreign soveriegn states because maybe the toll on our highways might increase?

You do realize that anyone who wants weed today can get it? That anyone willing to drive while buzzed can? That the prohibition laws simply DON'T WORK? You do understand that, right?

Defund gangs, de-criminalize drugs.

Navy Pride said:

What's to stop them now? You seem to envision an explosion in drug use should marijuana be legalized. The law hardly prevents people from doing drugs.

Navy Pride said:

The reason "grass leads to hard drugs" is largely the fault of the government. By classifying marijuana as Schedule 1 right along side LSD and crystal meth, this "gateway drug" was created. Ironically, the people who are so outspoken about this are the ones that want to keep it that way whether they realize it or not.

I remember back in elementary and middle school going through anti-drug programs sponsored by local police departments. Of all the illegal drugs discussed, marijuana took about about 90% of the lectures. We were so bombarded with anti-pot propaganda which greatly exaggerated and in some cases, outright lied about the negative effects of marijuana.

Fast forward a few years, many of my friends (including myself) began trying and using pot. We were all decent kids. Most of us honor students, played sports, participated in extra-curricular activites. We realized that it wasn't nearly as bad as it was made out to be by propaganda of this wildly sucessful "war on drugs." Unfortunately, some of us (again, myself included) figured if pot wasn't as bad as it's made out to be, all the other drugs (that we received very little education about) began to seem more appealing. We started doing mushrooms, acid, coke, etc. Luckily, I realized the err of my ways pretty quickly. Sadly, many of my best friends didn't. I ended up enlisting in the Navy while they continue to live in shitty apartments, spending all their money on rent, food and drugs with no prospect of improving themselves anytime in the near future.

This is precisely why we should separte marijuana from truly destructive drugs rather than cast them all in the same lot. Prohibiton was a disaster then and it continues to be a disaster now.

Navy Pride said:

You're only talking about marijuana. Read the poll question.

Korimyr the Rat said:
Given that every year we learn that the average first occurrence of illegal drug use is earlier than it was last year, and that greater percentages of our children and the population in general have used or currently use illegal drugs, I am forced to conclude that there haven't been any benefits to the War on Drugs, and that every dollar we have spent on it has been wasted.

Today's society idolizes the bad-boy. The movie Arthur was about a pathetic spoiled brat who couldn't handle being rich so he got drunk all the time. No one idolizes the drunk. But our movies are full of iconic images of drug dealers as admirable figures. Scarface comes to mind.

Make drugs legal, and suddenly there's no heroism in being stupid anymore.

Today, I heard President Bush make a case, in Florida, about how illegals are being smuggled into the US. He said the only reason they are being smuggled, often under dangerous conditions, is because we have made it illegal for them to be here. That is the only way they can get here to work the jobs that 'Mer-ah-kins don't want. He commented that "We learned our lesson during prohibition. People wanted whiskey. People were going to get whiskey. Illegally if they had to. That caused a lot of problems. So, we repealed prohibition."

If he only knew how much insight he was actually displaying. His merry band of followers will support him 100% using that line of logic. That is....until you use the same argument for marijuana. It makes good sense when it suits their personal ideology. Otherwise, poppycock.

Navy Pride said:
Wrong again, I am against legalizing anything that kills more innocent people

And yet you support the war in Iraq.

Navy Pride said:
and if you don't think that a bunch of people stoned out of their minds won't kill innocent poeople then your.............Never mind.....

What about our vastly overcrowded prison system, filled with hundreds of thousands who don't really belong there in the first place? What about the tens of billions of wasted taxpayer dollars? What about the innumerable loss of potential revenue that could be put to good, productive use? You don't seem to know too much about being stoned. Nothing like being drunk. At all.

Scarecrow Akhbar said:
You're argument is flawed, it lacks statistical support, and generally reflects a form of personal hysteria rather than a reasoned opposition.

So you'd rather see the existence of a black market, massive funding of gang activity, and our interference in the economies of foreign soveriegn states because maybe the toll on our highways might increase?

You do realize that anyone who wants weed today can get it? That anyone willing to drive while buzzed can? That the prohibition laws simply DON'T WORK? You do understand that, right?

Defund gangs, de-criminalize drugs.

What the hell are you talking about......Are you saying a bunch of druggies stoned out of the mind and driving in cars won't kill innocent people?????????:confused: Get real........It happens now and drugs aren't even legal.........

Scarecrow Akhbar said:
You're only talking about marijuana. Read the poll question.

Like beer when you lose the buzz to booze, when you lose the buzz with grass you graduate to hard drugs..........

When I was in the military stationed in Hawaii I had the opportunity to tour the Tripler army hospital.........They have a ward there called the double LL war........In it are kids that were hooked on drugs....Everyone of the kids said they had started out on grass..........In one corner there were 6 or 7 kids about 13 or 14...............They were just sitting there..........They had overdosed and were like vegetables...............It was the saddest thing I ever saw in my life.......

Not to mention who do you think is paying for their care?

Last edited:
Navy Pride said:
What the hell are you talking about......Are you saying a bunch of druggies stoned out of the mind and driving in cars won't kill innocent people?????????:confused: Get real........It happens now and drugs aren't even legal.........

Drunk people driving kill innocent people. Should we abolish the 21st amendment?

Completely sober people driving in cars kill innocent people. Should we get rid of cars?

Navy Pride said:
Like beer when you lose the buzz to booze, when you lose the buzz with grass you graduate to hard drugs..........

Your rampant use of flawed logic is beginning to irritate me.

I know a ton of people who drink nothing but beer and wine and don't touch hard liquor at all.

I'll post this again because you seem to have missed it...

The reason "grass leads to hard drugs" is largely the fault of the government. By classifying marijuana as Schedule 1 right along side LSD and crystal meth, this "gateway drug" was created. Ironically, the people who are so outspoken about this are the ones that want to keep it that way whether they realize it or not.

I remember back in elementary and middle school going through anti-drug programs sponsored by local police departments. Of all the illegal drugs discussed, marijuana took about about 90% of the lectures. We were so bombarded with anti-pot propaganda which greatly exaggerated and in some cases, outright lied about the negative effects of marijuana.

Fast forward a few years, many of my friends (including myself) began trying and using pot. We were all decent kids. Most of us honor students, played sports, participated in extra-curricular activites. We realized that it wasn't nearly as bad as it was made out to be by propaganda of this wildly sucessful "war on drugs." Unfortunately, some of us (again, myself included) figured if pot wasn't as bad as it's made out to be, all the other drugs (that we received very little education about) began to seem more appealing. We started doing mushrooms, acid, coke, etc. Luckily, I realized the err of my ways pretty quickly. Sadly, many of my best friends didn't. I ended up enlisting in the Navy while they continue to live in shitty apartments, spending all their money on rent, food and drugs with no prospect of improving themselves anytime in the near future.

This is precisely why we should separte marijuana from truly destructive drugs rather than cast them all in the same lot. Prohibiton was a disaster then and it continues to be a disaster now.

The Real McCoy said:
And yet you support the war in Iraq.

What about our vastly overcrowded prison system, filled with hundreds of thousands who don't really belong there in the first place? What about the tens of billions of wasted taxpayer dollars? What about the innumerable loss of potential revenue that could be put to good, productive use? You don't seem to know too much about being stoned. Nothing like being drunk. At all.

Yeah I support the war in Iraq.........Listen to the new tapes that just came out and you might too..........Maybe not, some libs are hopeless..........

I think we should go after the pushers of drugs...........You catch some guy selling drugs ti kids in a schoolyard you execute his sorry ***........You make and example out of all drug pushers.............You just don't slap them on the hands and let them go............

You make it not worth their while to sell drugs.............I guareentee that would cut the amount of druggies in prison considerably.......

Navy Pride said:
When I was in the military stationed in Hawaii I had the opportunity to tour the Tripler army hospital.........They have a ward there called the double LL war........In it are kids that were hooked on drugs....Everyone of the kids said they had started out on grass

Of course they did. The smear campaign against marijuana is to blame for that. Kid's think "Hey, pot's not so bad like they said it was. Let's do other drugs because they must not be that bad either."

Navy Pride said:
..........In one corner there were 6 or 7 kids about 13 or 14...............They were just sitting there..........They had overdosed and were like vegetables...............It was the saddest thing I ever saw in my life.......

How many of them OD'ed on pot? I'll answer that. Zero.

Navy Pride said:
Not to mention who do you think is paying for their care?

Taxpayers.

The Real McCoy said:
Your rampant use of flawed logic is beginning to irritate me.

I know a ton of people who drink nothing but beer and wine and don't touch hard liquor at all.

I'll post this again because you seem to have missed it...

I have seen kids like you that were vegetables in the Double LL ward at Tripler Army Hospital in Hawaii..........It does not do anygood for me to see it.They should send young punks like you there to see these poor kids.........Maybe it would wise you up but probably not............

The Real McCoy said:
Drunk people driving kill innocent people. Should we abolish the 21st amendment?

Completely sober people driving in cars kill innocent people. Should we get rid of cars?

Two wrongs don't make a right youngster..........

The Real McCoy said:
Of course they did. The smear campaign against marijuana is to blame for that. Kid's think "Hey, pot's not so bad like they said it was. Let's do other drugs because they must not be that bad either."

How many of them OD'ed on pot? I'll answer that. Zero.

Taxpayers.

Every kid that I talked to in that hospital that could talk said they started by using grass and when they could not get a buzz anymore from that graduated to coke and heroin.............

Navy Pride said:

So, might we assume that you are also for the prohibition of alcohol as well? Can we deduct that you do not drink alcohol as well?

We can already summize or make an educated guess that you probably have never smoked pot simply by your statement, "bunch of druggies stoned out of the mind" as anyone who has smoked pot knows that it's effect is mild in comparison to the effect of alcohol. The same idiot who drinks and drives is the same kinda idiot who would smoke pot and drive. Yet alcohol is legal.

If you would like to know what your talking about, without having to experiment yourself, just do a little research on the topic.

Marijuana vs. Alcohol. Google that.

"One major difference worth noting is that it isn't possible to overdose on marijuana, while lots of alcohol in a brief period of time can lead to alcohol poisoning, an emergency medical condition that can be fatal. <snip>"

Go ask alice at Columbia.edu
http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/1130.html

Pot may be the lesser of the two evils, but it is an evil, healthwise, just the same. Nobody can rightfully claim that pot smoke, or ANY smoke, is good for the body. That is a very unbiased site. Start there.

Here's a legitimate study that might help you appear more educated on the matter.

Psychopharmacology Research Unit
Department of Pharmacology
University of Sydney, NSW.

for the Federal Office of Road Safety (Australia)

Executive Summary
=================

1. A study was designed to examine the effects of marijuana and alcohol when
taken alone and in combination on human skills performance and mood.
5. The performance battery included tests of human skills related to those
considered necessary to drive a motor vehicle with safety.<snip>
11. By far the major effects on these tests were those produced by alcohol.

http://paranoia.lycaeum.org/marijuana/facts/mj.alcohol.toxicology

You may have noticed that study was not done by NORML or MADD or some other pro/con organization with an agenda. Specifically, the

Psychopharmacology Research Unit
Department of Pharmacology
University of Sydney, NSW.

for the Federal Office of Road Safety (Australia)

Now, I've known you long enough to know about your "Facts, schmacks, we don't need no schtinkin' facts" attitude. I'm just trying to school ya.

Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son.
*******Dean Vernon Wormer. Animal House. :rofl

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom