• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should federal disaster aid money sent to TX be used to pay energy bills?

• Total voters
Ah, the decency and compassion from the left. Now, are all Texans slimy bastards or just the right wingers?

No, West TX' electrical operators are part of the US western electrical grid. When they previously had this problem, they addressed it & fixed it. Consequently, West TX didn't have the cascading electrical & all other power failures that hit most of the rest of the state, due to piss-poor preparation, maintenance & winterization. The slimy bastards are the electrical operators who expect to be paid, regardless of how poor a job they did of providing the service they contracted to provide.

The question to ask here is: Who failed in their contractual obligations?

I would say no, only because I don't think the energy companies deserve to be paid thousands of dollars a day when their crappy energy systems seem to have caused the problem in the first place. Why shouldn't the energy companies eat the cost? But I'll admit I don't really understand how the pricing system there works so I'm open to changing my mind.

Federal tax revenue money often supports right-libertarian stuff: US militarism, law and order, infrastructure, churches, etc.

What a ****ing con right-libertarianism is: Taxes are theft and government is all bad, yet SHITLOADS OF TAX MONEY GOES TO PAY FOR RIGHT-LIBERTARIAN SHIT. Most liberals have some right-libertarian beliefs.

Are you suggesting that Texans stop paying federal taxes if FEMA money doesn't go towards paying exorbitant energy bills?

I’m saying that claiming Texas shouldn’t expect any fed assistance because I guess, no fed taxes come from Texas is idiotic, but then look at some of the people who are saying it and it’s just par for the course.

No, West TX' electrical operators are part of the US western electrical grid. When they previously had this problem, they addressed it & fixed it. Consequently, West TX didn't have the cascading electrical & all other power failures that hit most of the rest of the state, due to piss-poor preparation, maintenance & winterization. The slimy bastards are the electrical operators who expect to be paid, regardless of how poor a job they did of providing the service they contracted to provide.

The question to ask here is: Who failed in their contractual obligations?

Well thanks for trying to answer the question since the guy I actually asked frequently runs away as soon as he’s challenged on anything, but there was nothing in his post that limited who he was referring to.

Ah, the decency and compassion from the left. Now, are all Texans slimy bastards or just the right wingers?

They’re Texans, which means according to Republicans their state should take care of all their needs without any government assistance. And they now need assistance due to an environmental catastrophe, which is something Republicans insist is a hoax and unnecessary to spend money and resources on.

I’m sorry that conservative ideology is just bullshit with no real world execution of it’s supposed principles. It must be frustrating.

They’re Texans, which means according to Republicans their state should take care of all their needs without any government assistance. And they now need assistance due to an environmental catastrophe, which is something Republicans insist is a hoax and unnecessary to spend money and resources on.

I’m sorry that conservative ideology is just bullshit with no real world execution of it’s supposed principles. It must be frustrating.

No, what’s frustrating is stupid ass lefty bullshit that are trying to take advantage of this to stick it to a red state. You want Texas cut off? That goes both ways.

No, what’s frustrating is stupid ass lefty bullshit that are trying to take advantage of this to stick it to a red state. You want Texas cut off? That goes both ways.

This you?

2658B05A-0826-4212-BFC3-58DFFBFD6C81.jpeg

This you?

View attachment 67319614

Damn straight. The Minnesota governor sided with the rioters. As far as I know, Gov. Abbott has not sided with the storm.

Damn straight. The Minnesota governor sided with the rioters. As far as I know, Gov. Abbott has not sided with the storm.

This isn’t about Abbott. THis is about a state receiving fed assistance for a problem it caused itself, which you previously stated was reason enough to deny that assistance.

Feel free to just admit you changed your mind. It happens!

No. Texans can pay their own utility bills....just like they made California do after Enron. It took California 20 years to pay off the price gouging by Texas energy investors with no help from the federal government.

Absolutely no federal dollars should pay for the rebuilding of their grid or energy infrastructure, either....unless they accept federal regulations.

This isn’t about Abbott. THis is about a state receiving fed assistance for a problem it caused itself, which you previously stated was reason enough to deny that assistance.

Feel free to just admit you changed your mind. It happens!

Am I the one that changed my mind or did you? You’re saying riot damage was, in fact, largely a problem Minnesota caused for itself and that Trump was right to refuse it? That’s quite the concession.

Fine but then Texas residents should be exempt from paying federal taxes.
Texans would love that....except when they have another natural disaster like Hurricane Harvey....and they will.

Am I the one that changed my mind or did you? You’re saying riot damage was, in fact, largely a problem Minnesota caused for itself and that Trump was right to refuse it? That’s quite the concession.

No, I’ve never said any of that.

Like I said: you can admit you changed your mind or maybe it’s just what it looks like. ;)

No, I’ve never said any of that.

Like I said: you can admit you changed your mind or maybe it’s just what it looks like. ;)

Those are some questionable comprehension skills. I haven’t changed my mind, you did.

Those are some questionable comprehension skills. I haven’t changed my mind, you did.

You’d have quotes from me to that effect, like I do with you where you insisted MPLS doesn’t deserve fed assistance. Now, today, you believe Texas deserves a government handout because...reasons, I guess.

Or were you pro government handouts previously and you feel MPLS is an outlier?

They should only get any relief money (as in the state itself or energy companies, even paying bills, people should be allowed to get relief money for needs) if there are conditions placed on it, including Texas needs to put some major regulations on their energy producers to ensure that the chances of this happening again are brought as low as possible, as in weather conditioning is considered a top priority, along with redundancy.

I said no, because it is a minority of people who took a risk for a lower utility bill, and lost, (Or maybe not).
Let's say a normal person gets an electric provider with a fixed rate contract,
with mine I agree to pay my provider 10.1 cents per KWh for all the power I use, the spot rate, does not affect my fixed price.
Some other person looks at the spot market providers who say for a $10.00 a month fee, they can have access to the spot market.
most of the time they get electricity for 3 or 4 cents per KWh, plus their monthly fee.
for 1000 KWh in a normal month, I would pay $101, and they might pay $50.
If they had done this without a spike for 5 years, they would saved $3000, BUT the spot price spikes
several times a year, so they will never get to 5 years, without being exposed to the risk they signed up for.
I am sorry, but the utility is supposed to take the risks not the homeowner, I see this as people trying to game the system.
I know there are some people who did not understand what they were sold.
I suspect these types of plans will not longer be available, unless they come with a peak liability, which will cost more.

They have to sign a blood oath that we will never hear about "Texit" again.

We will. Right wing Texans are as full of shit as any other right winger in this country. They want our money, just not our multiculturalism.

We will. Right wing Texans are as full of shit as any other right winger in this country. They want our money, just not our multiculturalism.

Betcha those you complain about pay more taxes than you.

The government should negotiate down the ridiculous bills and force regulations on Texas so that this doesn't happen again. I doubt that the rest of the country is going to support paying someone's ten grand electric bill and then just peaceing out like nothing happened.

Back
Top Bottom