• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Should Election Day Be Moved to April 16th?

Should Election Day Be Moved to April 16th?

• Total voters

Harshaw

Filmmaker ● Lawyer ● Patriot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
With all the talk about ID requirements for voting, and about legally allowing non-citizens to vote, and how you feel about them usually pretty well corresponding to HOW you vote . . . it's only fair to discuss some other possible changes to election law.

If so, why?

If not, why not?

With all the talk about ID requirements for voting, and about legally allowing non-citizens to vote, and how you feel about them usually pretty well corresponding to HOW you vote . . . it's only fair to discuss some other possible changes to election law.
what does that have to do with teh poll question
why April 16th?

what does that have to do with teh poll question
why April 16th?
Do you honestly have to ask why April 16?

Tax Day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Tax Day is the common term for the day on which tax returns (statements about income taxes) are due to the U.S. Federal Government and to the U.S. states from U.S. citizens, resident aliens, and certain nonresident aliens. More specifically, this is the last day on which tax returns can be mailed (as postmarked) to avoid penalties, with some exceptions. In the United States, Tax Day has usually been April 15 since 1955.

Ahh, I see.

Yea makes sense. WE pay our taxes, in a way, we would be choosing where the money would go by voting the day after.

I see it like this . . .

Taxes are some of the most intrusive and onerous governments do.

I think it would be quite beneficial for voters to have taxes fresh in their minds when they're voting.

Do you honestly have to ask why April 16?

Tax Day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Tax Day is the common term for the day on which tax returns (statements about income taxes) are due to the U.S. Federal Government and to the U.S. states from U.S. citizens, resident aliens, and certain nonresident aliens. More specifically, this is the last day on which tax returns can be mailed (as postmarked) to avoid penalties, with some exceptions. In the United States, Tax Day has usually been April 15 since 1955.
yes i do because i am not a mind reader
and i am well aware what the day before it is
you failed miserably to explain WHY
thankfully Harshaw explained his reasoning

Move it to my birthday instead...

I see it like this . . .

Taxes are some of the most intrusive and onerous governments do.

I think it would be quite beneficial for voters to have taxes fresh in their minds when they're voting.

But that's not the only issue that people base their votes on.

Someone interested in race relations might want it to be on Martin Luther King Day. Someone involved in unions might want it to be on Labor Day. Someone interested in our foreign policy might want it to be on Veterans' Day or Memorial Day. Some of the religious nutters might want it to be on Good Friday or Easter.

What makes YOUR beef with the government more worthy of being "fresh in the minds of the voters" than anyone else's?

yes i do because i am not a mind reader
and i am well aware what the day before it is
you failed miserably to explain WHY

thankfully Harshaw explained his reasoning

you don't have to be a mind reader
it's called using common sense/logic
you failed miserably to use any common sense/logic

What makes YOUR beef with the government more worthy of being "fresh in the minds of the voters" than anyone else's?

What makes it any less worthy?

Besides, I provided context for the poll in the original post.

People are voting "no" but not saying why not.

What makes it any less worthy?

Nothing. Which is why we don't have elections on any of those other days I mentioned either. We have it on a more or less random day in November.

There's no reason to move the election just so that people have a particular issue "fresh on their minds." People base their votes on other things besides taxes.

I think it would be better to have the election day on the day after the government's budget is approved. After all, Americans seem to want something (want government services) for nothing (want low taxes). Election day should be right after budgets for services are approved.

Nothing. Which is why we don't have elections on any of those other days I mentioned either. We have it on a more or less random day in November.

Hmmm. How much hay is made about impending "high heating costs" right about then? Just as one example. There is no real "neutral" date.

There's no reason to move the election just so that people have a particular issue "fresh on their minds." People base their votes on other things besides taxes.

The whole point of the thread is about manipulating election law to suit one thing or another.

As long as it's over a weekend, I don't care about the date- but I'm sure we'd get more people to the polls on days when not as many work.

As long as it's over a weekend, I don't care about the date- but I'm sure we'd get more people to the polls on days when not as many work.

I personally think that election day should be a national holiday. If nothing else, it'll help stress how important voting is.

Election day should be on a weekend like every other democracy on earth.

Back
Top Bottom