• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should a law be passed that bars airlines from overbooking flights?

• Total voters

radcen

Phonetic Mnemonic ©
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist

Lots of examples in recent news. Chances are these types of incidents aren't new, they're just trendy in the media now that they've caught our attention.

IMO it is tantamount to perpetrating a fraud.

It doesn't matter if they put a disclaimer on their tickets, whenever it occurs there are many subsequent ripple effects to any passenger who gets bumped.

All sorts of problems with plans, reservations, and expenses/inconveniences accrue, aside from having to waste time waiting in an airport for a new flight.

Last edited:

Lots of examples in recent news. Chances are these types of incidents aren't new, they're just trendy in the media now that they've caught our attention.

I'm mixed on this. When deregulation of the airline industry happened it was a race to the bottom as far as ticket prices were concerned, which is why we now all fly on dirty busses in the air. They have to do what they can to survive. That said, they would at least have to offer a top compensation that actually makes being booted off tolerable, and I would be happy to have that be demanded by regulation.

Of course, that's a fantasy because no regulation of an industry is going to happen in the next four years. So I may as well take the opportunity to say that I'd like to have a super secret volcano lair protected by surface to air missiles, and which can take off on giant jet thrusters for a swift escape when MI6 inevitably comes in to stop my evil plans at world domination.

Laws are not the solution to events in every news cycle. This is a perfect example of a problem that the market will sort out.

Put if a law were passed, it should necessarily include the right for the airline to charge no shows for their full ticket price.

Sent from my LG-V930 using Tapatalk

I say yes. Any company shouldn't be allowed to sell more than what they have. In this case, seats on an airplane.

I'm mixed on this. When deregulation of the airline industry happened it was a race to the bottom as far as ticket prices were concerned, which is why we now all fly on dirty busses in the air. They have to do what they can to survive. That said, they would at least have to offer a top compensation that actually makes being booted off tolerable, and I would be happy to have that be demanded by regulation.

Of course, that's a fantasy because no regulation of an industry is going to happen in the next four years. So I may as well take the opportunity to say that I'd like to have a super secret volcano lair protected by surface to air missiles, and which can take off on giant jet thrusters for a swift escape when MI6 inevitably comes in to stop my evil plans at world domination.

Not quite. There are current regulations regarding this issue:

•If you are bumped involuntarily and the airline arranges substitute transportation that is scheduled to get you to your final destination (including later connections) within one hour of your original scheduled arrival time, there is no compensation.

•If the airline arranges substitute transportation that is scheduled to arrive at your destination between one and two hours after your original arrival time (between one and four hours on international flights), the airline must pay you an amount equal to 200% of your one-way fare to your final destination that day, with a $675 maximum.

•If the substitute transportation is scheduled to get you to your destination more than two hours later (four hours internationally), or if the airline does not make any substitute travel arrangements for you, the compensation doubles (400% of your one-way fare, $1350 maximum).

•If your ticket does not show a fare (for example, a frequent-flyer award ticket or a ticket issued by a consolidator), your denied boarding compensation is based on the lowest cash, check or credit card payment charged for a ticket in the same class of service (e.g., coach, first class) on that flight.

•You always get to keep your original ticket and use it on another flight. If you choose to make your own arrangements, you can request an "involuntary refund" for the ticket for the flight you were bumped from. The denied boarding compensation is essentially a payment for your inconvenience.

•If you paid for optional services on your original flight (e.g., seat selection, checked baggage) and you did not receive those services on your substitute flight or were required to pay a second time, the airline that bumped you must refund those payments to you.
https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/fly-rights

I simply don't find them satisfactory.

That's because I have plans, and I much prefer getting to my destination as promised.

Bad enough that airlines are nightmares to use these days (I so wish we were back to the era of the "Friendly Skys"). Being bumped due to intentional overbooking is just too much.

Not quite. There are current regulations regarding this issue:

https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/fly-rights

I simply don't find them satisfactory.

That's because I have plans, and I much prefer getting to my destination as promised.

Bad enough that airlines are nightmares to use these days (I so wish we were back to the era of the "Friendly Skys"). Being bumped due to intentional overbooking is just too much.

I didn't say there are no regulations now, just don't hold your breath for new regulations. If anything, I'm pretty comfortable expecting a slash of these regulations within the next four years.

And there's a reason nobody wants to take the compensation: the compensation isn't enough to make up for the inconvenience of being booted off. If the compensation was satisfactory, we wouldn't all shudder in fear like sheep hoping the wolf won't pick and kill us every time an airline attendant announces that one of us will have to leave.

Something else I noticed in your list is a failure to mention that if you don't volunteer and get kicked off anyway...surprise! You don't get compensated.

No. A new law isn't the answer to everything.

NO.

There are too many laws as it is.

Let the market fix it.

Have none of you not heard of 'let the buyer beware?.

No one is putting a gun to your heads to fly. If you don't like the way a company does something - tell them or simply do not use them.

But no...whiny people just want Mommy/Daddy government to fix everything for them.

In my experience they are much less likely to mess with you if you are in first class or business. Having a healthy mileage balance and the right credit card also helps. If you are going for the cheap seats or you are not seen as a consistent income source you get treated accordingly. It's called Capitalism. Or the Free Market. Or something. Whatever it is, the less you pay the greater your chances of not even getting what you thought you'd paid for.

yes. if you buy the seat, it's yours.

I'm open to so long as not showing up does not allow you a refund for your reservation.

No.

The government is never a better solution when it comes to a business satisfying their customers. Money talks louder.

Depends on how the law is written.

Would those who voted "Yes" feel the same if the law said.
" No airline shall overbook flights. The individual who misses the flight for whatever reason forgoes the money spent for the ticket. All Airlines have a right to not allow changes to a ticket once purchased."

I don't like the practice of overbooking. I can understand why it is done.

A very good friend of mine has been a pilot for a major airline for many years. He has always told me, "If you absolutely have to be somewhere at a particular time, don't fly.". ;)

So, if weak travelers get this law past - what's next?

A law against cold coffee served?

A law against serving rolls that are more than 26.7869594 hours old?

A law against turbulence during a flight?

yes. if you buy the seat, it's yours.
No it isn't. You are paying for transportation, not a seat, and it is contract based. Read the contract.

The easy answer is to fly charter or maybe purchase first class. You never get bumped from charter and, I'm not sure about all airlines, but I bet first class passengers are rarely, if ever, bumped. If you want guarantees, you have to pay for them. ;)

No it isn't.

yes, it is.

You are paying for transportation, not a seat, and it is contract based. Read the contract.

the contract is horse****. they can put anything they want in that contract, and i still have to sign it, because i have to fly to get to certain places.

The easy answer is to fly charter or maybe purchase first class. You never get bumped from charter and, I'm not sure about all airlines, but I bet first class passengers are rarely, if ever, bumped. If you want guarantees, you have to pay for them. ;)

the easy answer is banning the practice of double selling. if you're not going to make the flight, you should have to tell them at least a half hour in advance, or the seat stays empty and you don't get a refund. that would work just fine.

yes, it is.
Read the contract. :doh

the contract is horse****. they can put anything they want in that contract, and i still have to sign it, because i have to fly to get to certain places.
If you don't like their terms, you don't have to buy their service. The fact that you think you have to fly is no one's problem except yours. ;)

the easy answer is banning the practice of double selling. if you're not going to make the flight, you should have to tell them at least a half hour in advance, or the seat stays empty and you don't get a refund. that would work just fine.
Good luck getting that regulation in the foreseeable future. :lamo

Read the contract. :doh

If you don't like their terms, you don't have to buy their service. The fact that you think you have to fly is no one's problem except yours. ;)

Good luck getting that regulation in the foreseeable future. :lamo

i suppose we'll see. if they piss enough people off, they're putting themselves at risk of regulation.

Depends on how the law is written.

Would those who voted "Yes" feel the same if the law said.
" No airline shall overbook flights. The individual who misses the flight for whatever reason forgoes the money spent for the ticket. All Airlines have a right to not allow changes to a ticket once purchased."

I don't like the practice of overbooking. I can understand why it is done.
It definitely falls under the category of "why we can't have nice things". If there weren't so many people being no shows, and not paying for the seat they booked, the airlines wouldn't have to overbook.

A no refunds policy would solve the overlooking problem, but I fear the outcry would be even louder.

Oh hell no. I'm more than willing to take the chance on being bumped to keep ticket prices lower. Just make 2 tiers of tickets and charge accordingly. Ticket 1, you will not be bumped (more expensive), ticket 2 you might be bumped if we oversell. I'd be willing to bet 99% of the customers will chose the cheaper option.

IMO it is tantamount to perpetrating a fraud.

It doesn't matter if they put a disclaimer on their tickets, whenever it occurs there are many subsequent ripple effects to any passenger who gets bumped.

All sorts of problems with plans, reservations, and expenses/inconveniences accrue, aside from having to waste time waiting in an airport for a new flight.

Would you be willing to pay more for a ticket that won't bump you in the case of an overbook? If so how much?

i suppose we'll see. if they piss enough people off, they're putting themselves at risk of regulation.
Probably piss a lot more off by raising prices enough to compensate for not overbooking. :shrug:

Oh hell no. I'm more than willing to take the chance on being bumped to keep ticket prices lower. Just make 2 tiers of tickets and charge accordingly. Ticket 1, you will not be bumped (more expensive), ticket 2 you might be bumped if we oversell. I'd be willing to bet 99% of the customers will chose the cheaper option.

Buy one of each and return (or exchange) the unused one. ;)

Back
Top Bottom