• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

sex and gender are two different things. where is the trans movement headed?

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
you would only do that if humans changed how we breed. Change my mind

This is the definition - Either of the two divisions, designated female and male, by which most organisms are classified on the basis of their reproductive organs and functions.

not referring to chromosomes or what you feel you are. This is about breeding and is very simple do you have male or female sexual organs?

I'm not sure where the hang up is.

I've met trans people in the public mental health system and god it was horrible, THIS DOES NOT MEAN I THINK THIS OF EVERY TRANS PERSON THIS IS JUST MY EXPERIENCE.

-Smoking pot and drinking all day - feeling sorry for themselves (I've struggled with depression all my life and this is something new)

-talking about trans at all is a no no

-Animal cruelty - dog kept in a small room, not taken out for excercise, calls the dog spastic - got surprised when I called it out - then got told you can't say that to a trans person

-discrimination is promoted - getting rid of an actor because of sex or gender IS discrimination, constantly trying to justify it

-constantly saying "****ing white males", while breaking lockdown and bringing a random bootie call home - he was also as he referred to it "white straight male". That's sexism and racism. I understand being discriminated against and I truly believe that to beat we must stop it

-Denying science
-talking about our definitions being "different" - IT SHOULD NOT BE DIFFERENT, DEFINITIONS ARE USED SO WE CAN COMMUNICATE CLEARLY

All of this together I get some serious coming of a new dark age vibes, please be able to prove me wrong

@WishfulThinker , welcome to this forum!

One comment I would have for you is that - as you yourself said - judging all trans people by the ones you meet in the public mental health system would be a mistake. I'm sure if you described the straight cisgender people you meet in your mental hospital, you would not find them particularly appealing either.

Sex and gender were always two different things. A biology department has never used the term gender. The college of sociology invented the term and has always employed it. A lot of people are ignorant.

This is the definition - Either of the two divisions, designated female and male, by which most organisms are classified on the basis of their reproductive organs and functions.

not referring to chromosomes or what you feel you are. This is about breeding and is very simple do you have male or female sexual organs?

I'm not sure where the hang up is.

I've met trans people in the public mental health system and god it was horrible, THIS DOES NOT MEAN I THINK THIS OF EVERY TRANS PERSON THIS IS JUST MY EXPERIENCE.

-Smoking pot and drinking all day - feeling sorry for themselves (I've struggled with depression all my life and this is something new)

-talking about trans at all is a no no

-Animal cruelty - dog kept in a small room, not taken out for excercise, calls the dog spastic - got surprised when I called it out - then got told you can't say that to a trans person

-discrimination is promoted - getting rid of an actor because of sex or gender IS discrimination, constantly trying to justify it

-constantly saying "****ing white males", while breaking lockdown and bringing a random bootie call home - he was also as he referred to it "white straight male". That's sexism and racism. I understand being discriminated against and I truly believe that to beat we must stop it

-Denying science
-talking about our definitions being "different" - IT SHOULD NOT BE DIFFERENT, DEFINITIONS ARE USED SO WE CAN COMMUNICATE CLEARLY

All of this together I get some serious coming of a new dark age vibes, please be able to prove me wrong
I guess it depends on who is writing the definition.
Webster, 1997, gender n., Any of two or more categories, as feminine, masculine, adn neuter, into which words are divided and which determine agreement with or selection of modifiers or grammatical forms; the quality of being of the male or female sex.
Webster, 1983, gender n. 1. a) the classifying of nouns, pronouns, adjectives, etc into groups regarded as masculine, feminine, or neuter: in English, only some nouns and all pronouns in the hird person singular (as he, she, and it) are classified into these groups b) any one of these groups 2. sex
Society 19, a lifestyle magazine for millennials has one of their own.

@WishfulThinker , welcome to this forum!

One comment I would have for you is that - as you yourself said - judging all trans people by the ones you meet in the public mental health system would be a mistake. I'm sure if you described the straight cisgender people you meet in your mental hospital, you would not find them particularly appealing either.
This was in stable mental health house, not a hospital. I've just literally never come across people like this. For one thing I really don't bother to ask peoples sex or gender, I use "hey man" to the point that its now multi sex / gender, another thing is I've met a few guys in hospital that have been shit, I've met a few girls that have been shit, but the majority are fine. those are extremely large group when compared to the trans community. Wasn't just them it was the workers that didn't care if anyone did anything during the day then just getting ****ed up at night. What I'm saying is my experience has been that the community starts trying to get people fired because they weren't trans, that's ****ed a minority spreading discrimination. A MINORITY SPREADING DISCRIMINATION, you know what else fits that description. Japanese supremacy, Chineese han supremacy, White supremacy - trying to shut down conversations gives me really bad new dark age vibes, when the church wiped out science because they didn't agree.
Sociology needs to stay in its ****ing place.

I guess it depends on who is writing the definition.
Webster, 1997, gender n., Any of two or more categories, as feminine, masculine, adn neuter, into which words are divided and which determine agreement with or selection of modifiers or grammatical forms; the quality of being of the male or female sex.
Webster, 1983, gender n. 1. a) the classifying of nouns, pronouns, adjectives, etc into groups regarded as masculine, feminine, or neuter: in English, only some nouns and all pronouns in the hird person singular (as he, she, and it) are classified into these groups b) any one of these groups 2. sex
Society 19, a lifestyle magazine for millennials has one of their own.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sex - #1 definition
https://www.society19.com/the-diffe...r 1,you get when you’re born. ... 3 Sexuality - Even they make it clear sex is organs
https://www.definitions.net/definition/SEX - #1

That doesn't seem like much of an argument - a lifestyle magazine having its own definition, I feel like that's most definitely going to **** with English
So they do say sex is organs then call it a social construct. This is defining science, sex would still exist even if we didn't name it because its a system that we use to re-produce, a social construct like gender does not actually exist therefore it is a social construct

Ultimately, the concepts of gender and sex are socially constructed. This means that we as a society assign sex and gender to people based on socially agreed-upon characteristics.

that we as a society assign sex and gender to people based on socially agreed-upon characteristics
What? I don't and it seems science doesn't I don't want to teach my children about gender, that will just confuse the shit out of kids. I don't want a daughter thinking that she can't do certain things because she's female and therefore needs to change gender

Ultimately, the concepts of gender and sex are socially constructed. This means that we as a society assign sex and gender to people based on socially agreed-upon characteristics.

that we as a society assign sex and gender to people based on socially agreed-upon characteristics
What? I don't and it seems science doesn't I don't want to teach my children about gender, that will just confuse the shit out of kids. I don't want a daughter thinking that she can't do certain things because she's female and therefore needs to change gender

Sex is a biological term. Biology is not a social construct.

Gender is a sociological term. Gender is a social construct.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

perfectly written

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sex - #1 definition
https://www.society19.com/the-difference-between-sex-sexuality-and-gender/#:~:text=The Difference Between Sex, Sexuality, And Gender 1,you get when you’re born. ... 3 Sexuality - Even they make it clear sex is organs
https://www.definitions.net/definition/SEX - #1

That doesn't seem like much of an argument - a lifestyle magazine having its own definition, I feel like that's most definitely going to **** with English
So they do say sex is organs then call it a social construct. This is defining science, sex would still exist even if we didn't name it because its a system that we use to re-produce, a social construct like gender does not actually exist therefore it is a social construct

I used to make arguments like this until I eventually realized that trans folk know all that **** better than I ever will.

They know, and they still struggle with it. Should they just go lay down and die someplace, so we don't have to think about it?

I say just be glad you don't have the same issues, and go deal with your own.

I used to make arguments like this until I eventually realized that trans folk know all that **** better than I ever will.

They know, and they still struggle with it. Should they just go lay down and die someplace, so we don't have to think about it?

such as?
Should they just go lay down and die someplace, so we don't have to think about it?
are you serious? I'm not saying that at all, what I'm saying is sociology deals with social constructs, biology deals with science fact
social constructs do not supersede evidence.

I don't know the trans people you've met, but the ones I've met didn't know what sex even was, extremely illiterate, dropped out of school when having a sex change, feeling sorry for themselves, "****ing white males" all the time, very fascist - could not argue to save there life, then shuts down conversations

Well, start by determining what they are, then.

Should they just go lay down and die someplace, so we don't have to think about it?
are you serious? I'm not saying that at all, what I'm saying is sociology deals with social constructs, biology deals with science fact
social constructs do not supersede evidence.

In the context of someone struggling with their sexual identity, how is that a useful observation?

I don't know the trans people you've met, but the ones I've met didn't know what sex even was, extremely illiterate, dropped out of school when having a sex change, feeling sorry for themselves, "****ing white males" all the time, very fascist - could not argue to save there life, then shuts down conversations

Not sure myself, I don't typically ask. Does it bring you pleasure, to emotionally undermine people who are already struggling?

What are you proposing we do with them instead?

In the context of someone struggling with their sexual identity, how is that a useful observation?

Not sure myself, I don't typically ask. Does it bring you pleasure, to emotionally undermine people who are already struggling?

As someone who is Autistic who struggles dealing with lies and people who think that they know better than evidence.
This is a massive tantrum argument. you just want us to die? no where did I say that, I want science fact to have its place. Not how you feel,
I'm not saying its not real mental illness but its making your problem everyone else's problem this is just disrespectful for other minorities and even the majority.
That's saying "just let them have there way, they're gonna kill themselves"
I'm not indulging a spoilt brat mentality

I struggle every day, I don't make it anyone's problem

So does it bring you pleasure, to emotionally undermine people who are already struggling?
XD I can do that too

let them do their thing just not allowing allowing a group to once again send us into dark ages part 2

Your promoting facism while using terrible examples and hostage diplomacy just with yourselves

You do that with a definition which relates to sexual organs.
So what sexual organs do they have
It's partly an observation, I do provide facts. Regardless of context promoting facism, disregarding science fact. Doing this because it's what you feel, the definitions the trans community use are so different even someone else came in to correct someone.
Definitions are meant to be the same its how we communicate.

Don't make your problem other's problems, that's just a dick move .
Does it bring you pleasure to use hostage diplomacy just with yourself or well the trans community.
Don't be a spoilt brat. I've tried to kill myself in the past, never did I advertise it. that's pretty attention seeking. GO TO A DOCTOR
Do with them? The only thing I'm suggesting is that people disregarding science fact and shutting down conversations are fascists

It's partly an observation, I do provide facts. Regardless of context promoting facism, disregarding science fact. Doing this because it's what you feel, the definitions the trans community use are so different even someone else came in to correct someone.
Definitions are meant to be the same its how we communicate.

If you understand and can make yourself understood, it's communication. Fixating on precise definitions is just being pedantic.

Don't make your problem other's problems, that's just a dick move .
Does it bring you pleasure to use hostage diplomacy just with yourself or well the trans community.
Don't be a spoilt brat. I've tried to kill myself in the past, never did I advertise it. that's pretty attention seeking. GO TO A DOCTOR
Do with them? The only thing I'm suggesting is that people disregarding science fact and shutting down conversations are fascists

For a person who isn't into making their problems my problems, you talk a lot about your problems.

Trans folk aren't disregarding science. They are as aware of that science as you or I, and yet they still struggle with their sexual identity. You seem to be suggesting they are just too stupid to decide not to be trans.

What do you think we should do with/to/about those facists, then?

If you understand and can make yourself understood, it's communication. Fixating on precise definitions is just being pedantic.
That's extremely inefficient. Which is why we use definitions to ensure we can understand each other.
XD sorry to burst your bubble but precise definitions are needed for effective communication
For a person who isn't into making their problems my problems, you talk a lot about your problems.
Talking about an attack on science? someone has to
Trans folk aren't disregarding science. They are as aware of that science as you or I, and yet they still struggle with their sexual identity. You seem to be suggesting they are just too stupid to decide not to be trans.
Yes they are. Gender is a social construct. Sex is not, it still exists whether we define it or not
What do you think we should do with/to/about those facists, then?
Promoting science fact, ensuring conversations are not shut down.
How about a general dislike of facism.
Not allowing conversation because you dislike it is exactly fascism
The CCP?, they just get rid of people that don't agree
So can you see how the communities actions are fascist

V perfect example of discrimination - this was where I got the quote "but it's good discrimination right?"
Does that sound like good discrimination?, she was fired for not being trans

Change what, exactly? Your predilection for using personal experiences as a basis for prejudice?

"Sex" refers to biological features that we associate primarily with reproduction.

"Gender" is the social constructs we apply to those biological distinctions.

Since you somehow missed it, gender isn't as simple as "do you have boy parts or girl parts?" We make all sorts of false or illusory essentialist claims about "what it means to be male" and "what it means to be female," and those ideas vary significantly from one society to the next, or one time period to the next.

Plus, even human biology is nowhere near as simple as "boy/girl." There is almost certainly a biological basis for most instances of transgenderism, as shown by the numbers of kids who start feeling a mismatch between their biology and gender from a young age (despite lots of parents who openly discourage those feelings). There are also a small number of intersex people. How do you classify someone whose genitals don't match the normal male/female distinction?

No, it's not just about "breeding." Societies don't treat men and women exactly equal with the exception of their reproductive role.

For example, 87% of crimes in America are committed by men, 13% by women. That clearly has nothing to do with reproductive organs or genetics. This statistic alone demonstrates the significant power of social constructions.

...and then you use it to basically slander every transgender person.

I mean, really. Are you saying that cisgender people in the public mental health system are all doing great? That none of them are violating protocols for a booty call? That all of them treat their pets to your satisfaction?

You're also ignoring how transgender people are probably the most heavily discriminated group in the US right now. They're one of the few groups where discrimination is, in many places, both socially and legally acceptable. They've been targeted for hatred and erasure for centuries. Even the lesbian and gay communities dumped on them for decades; LGBT and feminist solidarity with transgender individuals is probably less than 10 years old.

So, give us a break. Don't spout off about the biology if you don't know it. Don't fire off unprovable transphobic anecdotes. Maybe, just maybe, you should try to see them as human beings who are constantly getting stomped on by the rest of society.

Change what, exactly? Your predilection for using personal experiences as a basis for prejudice?

"Sex" refers to biological features that we associate primarily with reproduction.

"Gender" is the social constructs we apply to those biological distinctions.

Since you somehow missed it, gender isn't as simple as "do you have boy parts or girl parts?" We make all sorts of false or illusory essentialist claims about "what it means to be male" and "what it means to be female," and those ideas vary significantly from one society to the next, or one time period to the next.

Plus, even human biology is nowhere near as simple as "boy/girl." There is almost certainly a biological basis for most instances of transgenderism, as shown by the numbers of kids who start feeling a mismatch between their biology and gender from a young age (despite lots of parents who openly discourage those feelings). There are also a small number of intersex people. How do you classify someone whose genitals don't match the normal male/female distinction?

No, it's not just about "breeding." Societies don't treat men and women exactly equal with the exception of their reproductive role.

For example, 87% of crimes in America are committed by men, 13% by women. That clearly has nothing to do with reproductive organs or genetics. This statistic alone demonstrates the significant power of social constructions.

...and then you use it to basically slander every transgender person.

I mean, really. Are you saying that cisgender people in the public mental health system are all doing great? That none of them are violating protocols for a booty call? That all of them treat their pets to your satisfaction?

You're also ignoring how transgender people are probably the most heavily discriminated group in the US right now. They're one of the few groups where discrimination is, in many places, both socially and legally acceptable. They've been targeted for hatred and erasure for centuries. Even the lesbian and gay communities dumped on them for decades; LGBT and feminist solidarity with transgender individuals is probably less than 10 years old.

So, give us a break. Don't spout off about the biology if you don't know it. Don't fire off unprovable transphobic anecdotes. Maybe, just maybe, you should try to see them as human beings who are constantly getting stomped on by the rest of society.
so you're using it as an excuse to discriminate.
sex refers to sexual organs, gender is what you feel. it's not an add on, you'd only change sex if humans changed how we breed.
Do you mean chromosomes? that looks to be much more about evolution and particular traits of males and females. Why? because we don't need dumb hunters and gatherers anymore, denying differences in sex is also denying evidence.
Why are you telling me a sob story? I don't feel sorry for people who get bullied then proceed to bully others and using that as and excuse.
Don't tell me I don't understand biology.
That's cultural stop spouting crap. Stop trying to justify shitty actions.
When it's illegal and i didn't want him bringing home random people who might be infected? that's saying your freedoms are worth more than lives. That's shitty behaviour
SCIENCE FACT VS SOCIAL CONSTRUCT
SCIENCE FACT - DOES EXIST EVEN IF WE DON'T DEFINE IT
SOCIAL CONSTRUCT - DOES NOT EXIST WITHOUT BEING DEFINED

Come back with evidence, you seem like such a lovely person who has no facts to back up the argument.
That's why I didn't bother reading through your post its just shit

Animal cruelty is not a joke either.
If people are trying to push facist crap, they do not belong in a democracy. The CCP would align with your values, go their

Intersex is referring to chromosomes, not relevant to sex.
Sociology needs to be reigned in

That would also most certainly have to do with it. Break it down, testosterone is a drug whether natural or not. It doe's drive Male actions and can often see it in a vast majority, this is also the left overs from the 'man's world'
you know who white people subjugate as well - Surprise! other white people don't throw us in the same category. That being said culture is what drives a lot of this behaviour, a lot of men don't have men to look up to because of the 'man's world'

FINALE DON'T FIGHT FIRE WITH FIRE - THAT'S WHAT THE ULTRA RICH DO, THE PEOPLE WHO WORK FOR THEM ARE THE ONES WHO SUFFER

so you're using it as an excuse to discriminate....
Dude.

Both your posts in this thread are transphobic messes.

Lemme break this down for you:
• Biological sex is not the same thing as gender.

• There are likely biological causes of transgenderism. Again, observation of gender dysphoria in young people -- including those whose parents are strongly against transgenderism -- makes this clear. So does the research, e.g.:

• You are clearly attacking transgender people based on the behavior of a few people you observed -- while blatantly ignoring how cisgender people do the exact same thing.

Do you really think there aren't any straight cisgender people who had casual sex during the pandemic?

Do you really believe that the only people who treat their animals poorly are transgender?

• Social constructs are important, real, and often slow to change. They can easily overwhelm biological factors. They just aren't biologically determined.

I'd add that suggesting "our society is doomed because of rising acceptance of transgenderism" is just yet more transphobic bullshit. In fact, accepting transgender people will produce better outcomes overall. No one is going to get gender reassignment surgery on a whim, and you can't beat transgenderism out of people.

Your own post eviscerates the very credibility you seek. You don't understand the biology, you don't understand the mechanics of social constructs, you're just looking for excuses to hate a group of people. It's kind of sad, really.

Change gender to gender roles and I agree with you. Psychological gender identity is not a social construct.

Change gender to gender roles and I agree with you. Psychological gender identity is not a social construct.

Gender is a social construct. Identity is psychology. Without society creating gender, there'd be nothing with which to identify.

My Phd(c) specialization (like a minor for an undergrad) is gender. All of my classes to attain that specialization were in the Gender Department under the College of Sociology.

Gender identity is psychology. Gender is sociology. Gender is a social construct.

Last edited:
Gender is a social construct. Identity is psychology. Without society creating gender, there'd be nothing with which to identify.

This is correct, except for biological reproductive roles.

My Phd(c) specialization (like a minor for an undergrad) is gender. All of my classes to attain that specialization were in the Gender Department under the College of Sociology.

Gender identity is psychology. Gender is sociology. Gender is a social construct.

I have 4 courses in psych, ( Intro, abnormal, human sexuality, and industrial psych). I don't consider my 2 ergonomics courses to be psychological (human factors engineering), but many people do list them as psychology. I see them as design engineering.

This is correct, except for biological reproductive roles.

I have 4 courses in psych, ( Intro, abnormal, human sexual, and industrial psych). I don't consider my 2 ergonomics courses to be psychological (human factors engineering), but many people do list them as psychology. I see them as design engineering.

Identity is the psychology part. What is identified with is created by society.

Gender has nothing to do with biology and biology never employs the term. That confusion was created by a government form euphemism.

Dude.

• There are likely biological causes of transgenderism. Again, observation of gender dysphoria in young people -- including those whose parents are strongly against transgenderism -- makes this clear. So does the research, e.g.:
XD that's chromosomes, which would look more that they are particular attributes to sex rather than gender. even if your chromosomes are not original, you will still have particular
Transphobia is a collection of ideas and phenomena that encompass a range of negative attitudes, feelings, or actions towards transgender people or transness in general. Transphobia can include fear, aversion, hatred, violence, anger, or discomfort felt or expressed towards people who do not conform to social gender expectations
Please learn definitions, people these days don't seem to understand the actual meanings of words.
You may think this applies to me but I'm not attacking them because they're trans I'm attacking because I will not accept being dragged through another dark age with this behaviour

• You are clearly attacking transgender people based on the behavior of a few people you observed -- while blatantly ignoring how cisgender people do the exact same thing.

Do you really think there aren't any straight cisgender people who had casual sex during the pandemic?

Do you really believe that the only people who treat their animals poorly are transgender?

• Social constructs are important, real, and often slow to change. They can easily overwhelm biological factors. They just aren't biologically determined.

I'd add that suggesting "our society is doomed because of rising acceptance of transgenderism" is just yet more transphobic bullshit. In fact, accepting transgender people will produce better outcomes overall. No one is going to get gender reassignment surgery on a whim, and you can't beat transgenderism out of people.

Your own post eviscerates the very credibility you seek. You don't understand the biology, you don't understand the mechanics of social constructs, you're just looking for excuses to hate a group of people. It's kind of sad, really.
No idea It's not just that, chromosomes are also different refers to breeding.
-A community discriminating against a "cisgender actor"
-I'm talking about what I've seen, what I've seen the community push
-why the **** would the be relevant I'm talking this particle incident, if I see other instances I would most certainly pull them up.
I'm not trying to beat it out of anyone, I want science fact to be left alone sex and gender are not the same thing they can't be transferable. YOU WOULD ONLY REPLACE SEX IF WE CHANGED HOW WE BREED, HOW HAS THAT CHANGED

Dude.

• You are clearly attacking transgender people based on the behavior of a few people you observed
yes I'm attacking people for animal cruelty, diregarding science fact and a community pushing discrimination.
You seem the person justifying actions and using hostage diplomacy just "should we just kill ourselves" did I ****ing say that, no you implied it

Back
Top Bottom