• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Self-Esteem boosting too much of a priority?

liberal1 said:
... until those arrogant berks can get it through their thick skulls that there are billions of other people in the world, and your life isn't more significant than anyones else's.

Of course my life is more significant than anyone else's! It's mine.

liberal1 said:
In fact, during oyur life time you won't make a difference in the world at all, and most people are indeed useless, it may appear I'm being cynical, but I believe it is an honest assumption.

This kind of "cynicism" is the worst kind of weakness; you are advocating teaching students-- our future-- to be apathetic, unmotivated, and unsure of their own capabilities.

While I might agree with the notion that we are focusing too much on self-esteem at the expense of competence, a proper sense of pride of self and pride of accomplishments is necessary in any person who intends to make anything of themself at all. The problem in our schools is that we do not understand what self-esteem is or where it comes from; we try to teach self-esteem by avoiding instilling any of the traits that self-esteem is based upon.

Self Esteem of course is too much of a priorty.

I am disgusted with the current state of our education system where our students' emotional feelings are valued more than our education, cousolers making sure kids feel ok.

Look at the edcuation system in China, during the first few years of elementary school they divide the students into three divisions, the smartests, average, and stupid. Destroying their self esteem you say? So what, their education at least before college is much better than ours. The tradeoff is we have the best higher education in the world, but pre univeristy education is terrible in comparison with the rest of the world.

All men are not created equal, we are given each a unique combination of DNA, and some of us have better genetics that allow us to achieve more in life than others.

The source of the self esteem problem is the elite not being able to understand, or even the average person in charge of school districts around the US, not being able to understand why the student's self esteem is so low, imagine how stupid the average person is, presumably with an IQ of 98(US average intelligence quotient), and now think half of the entire population has less of that cognitive ability, therefore less likely to succeed in school.

But the problem is even when their intelligence and scholor capablities are less than others around him/her, she/he feels the same desire to be better than the rest, and are frustrated when others perform better than him/her. They also have the same emotional delicacy and frailness as everyone else.

We are not meant to all have high self esteem, our media and system has brainwashed our children into thinking everyone wins and we are all equal when they are not. I was looking through posters along the wall of my 8th grade english classroom, we were to design a poster showing adjectives describing ourself, and one peculiar kid, who's facial feature showed severe retardation, did not know how to spell "athletic" correctly, at 8th grade, and he is average in terms of average US GPA, 2.5.

Our education system has two factors that nurture our false hope of success, by loosening our primary educational system and boosting our children's self esteem. Elementary and Middle School are too easy, compared to other cultures our kids are the most lax, having excessive time to do useless activities like Xbox, Playstation, etc.

I do not believe in making sure a child's self esteem is high, for that is not essential a successful learning career and in life.

Self esteem is something that you build, and if you possess the ability to build a good one, a realistic one, good for you, but if you cannot, you do not deserve one, but many children are being lied to by our educators, considered by many to be the most important service provided to society, the raising of our next generation.

My self confidence was crushed at a young age but I was quick to reclaim with success in grades and other academic subjects.

Wall Street Journal describing white flight in the west coast, as competition heat up because of excessive asian population, white kids move out because of the fear of competition, and their parents worry for their self esteem.

I personally think it is better for a child to be in a competitive environment where he/she is the worst, because then he/she exerts his/her best potential to the full exploitation. Not being able to work under pressure and improve yourself is the worst thing you could do, and will lead to inefficiency, inproficiency, and failure to the society itself.

A child's personality is not to be fostered, because why do we care why someone else thinks emotionally when it is irrelevant to the bettering of society? The most intelligent and able minded of us do not have such problems, and in logical cases lack of self esteem motivates the poor fellow to work harder for success self esteem itself, bettering one self for self, but also benefit society.

If everyone has a high self esteem, we will all be arrogant bastards who are too full of ourselves, overconfidence leads to self destruction.

Abolish counseling and other useless programs, abolish the no child left behind program, a program that is holding back our best to keep at the level of the worst.

Teachers do not need to be nice, but get the job done at teaching our students what they need to know, the ciriculum.

Create new laws to protect teachers against being "mean", and hire based on merit of grades of his/her students.

Emotionals are purely sentimental and useless towards society, it's sole purpose; self satisfaction.

Trying to make kids feel great about themselves as opposed to actually teaching them reading, writing, and math is a MAJOR problem in our public schools. Most schools no longer even use the A,B, C, D, F grading system cause they don't want to offend students by failing them. So they get grades like N= needs improvement when they should be getting big large blinking F'sssss so parents know what the hell is really going on. They got rid of tracking by ability in most schools too because they didn't want some kids to feel better than other kids. So now if your bright you don't get to work ahead you just have to sit and wait for the other kids to catch a clue. Some schools have even gone so far as to eliminate honor rolls!!!!! Schools definitely need to get back to basics and discipline. Our country's future is at stake. Competition is a good thing! Believe me no one will feel great when everyone is out of work in the US because we raised a generation of idiots with high self esteem. There are actually those who argue that kids don't need to learn math 'cause they have computers and calculators. They don't need to learn spelling 'cause the computers have spell checker. They don't need to read well 'cause books come on audio tapes. Meanwhile we have lost most manufacturing jobs in this country. We are currently losing many tech and programming jobs and no one seems at all concerned that the public schools are producing morons who don't know what galaxy they live in who are basically functional illiterates.

Last edited:
think of all the kids that aren't allowed to go ahead in elementary and middle school classes. THe smartest kids aren't challenged. Is that what we want our education system to be? where the smartest kids aren't given the full opportunity, while we cater to the mediocre?

V.I. Lenin said:
Dodgeball is banned in most schools, red pens aren't used because red supposedly causes negative reactions, therapy is more important and it seems like more and more parents blame teachers for children's depression and most vie for a constantly happy and never disapointed child. Is this going too far? In other words...are America's schools spending too much time trying to build self-esteem and a world without disappointment in a child's mind? IS low self-esteem the route of many of society's woes?

This is why sissys belong in monostaries instead of teaching and leadership positions.These self-esteam freaks are de-balling the future men of our country,they have no business having anything to do with our schools.People like these pc freaks will only damage our country if left unchecked to brain wash our kids into being sissys.

jamesrage said:
This is why sissys belong in monostaries instead of teaching and leadership positions.These self-esteam freaks are de-balling the future men of our country,they have no business having anything to do with our schools.People like these pc freaks will only damage our country if left unchecked to brain wash our kids into being sissys.

Well, if you're so concerned about it, why aren't you a teacher, or a school principal, or even a member of your local school board?

Schools are not there to teach our children to be "sissies" or "macho men". They are there to teach our kids how to read and write, etc. If you don't want YOUR kids to be sissies, YOU teach them how not to be.

And FYI, girls attend school, too. Why are you only so concerned with the "future men of our country"?

Stace said:
Well, if you're so concerned about it, why aren't you a teacher, or a school principal, or even a member of your local school board?

My state is not infested with feminazis and skirt men trying to deball our youth.

Schools are not there to teach our children to be "sissies" or "macho men". They are there to teach our kids how to read and write, etc.

Apprantly the feminazis and skirt men think other wise and wish to deball our youth.

And FYI, girls attend school, too. Why are you only so concerned with the "future men of our country"?

It is okay for women to feminate,not men.

jamesrage said:
My state is not infested with feminazis and skirt men trying to deball our youth.

Apprantly the feminazis and skirt men think other wise and wish to deball our youth.

It is okay for women to feminate,not men.

i agree that self esteem is too much of a problem in schools here, but not along your lines. It isn't about what kid is macho, and what kid is a sissy. Kid's with "macho" personalities will remain that way most probably even if dodgeball is banned....

the self-esteem issue comes into play when schools are doing too mcuh for the kids with learning problems, or who learn slowly. More emphasis should also be placed on kids who are doing well, challenging them more.

Stop trying to make kids with bad grades feel better. They deserved it. I took only third grade in india, and man was it completely different from elementary school here. I remember i went up to get my math problems graded, and i had gotten nearly half of them wrong. My teacher slapped me without hesitation in front of the whole class. Simple as that. I never made stupid mistakes like those again.

Perfect example. Students should feel bad when they do poorly on an assignment, instead of letting the bad mark bounce of their skin. The student should then be motivated to do better, and therefore, feel better. As for all this other stff, red pens and dodgeball and what naught, is completely irrelevant to self-esteem.

Back
Top Bottom