• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Secret US - Asia Trade Deal

Gladiator

Verifier
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
No text of the agreement revisions being proposed, are available.

"The U.S. and 11 other nations negotiating an Asia-Pacific free trade pact said Tuesday they are on track to agree a comprehensive deal before the year's end.A statement by the 12 leaders after an Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summit in Bali said they made "significant progress" in setting standards for trade in goods and services, and for investment and public procurement."

Asia-Pacific leaders on track to sign trade deal

Google

https://www.google.com/#q=Asia+trade+Deal+Reward+Kerry

"The Fourth Round of negotiations is extending into areas beyond the traditional tariff concessions in order to deepen trade cooperation and integration. APTA members are currently negotiating three framework agreements on trade facilitation, trade in services, and investments. In addition, APTA members are exchanging information on non-tariff measures."

Asia-Pacific Trade Agreement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Asia-Pacific Trade Agreements Database - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Also Tuesday, leaders of the dozen countries involved in U.S.-led free trade negotiations called the Trans-Pacific Partnership issued a statement saying they are on track to agree on a comprehensive deal before the year's end.

"It's an ambitious goal," said U.S. Trade Representative Michael Froman. "Ultimately the substance will drive the timetable. We're not going to agree to a bad deal for just the sake of meeting a deadline. But there's a lot of momentum."

Soured ties between China and Japan bubbled beneath the surface of the summit after Beijing was announced as the host of next year's meeting, putting renewed focus on the testy relationship between the two Asian powers."

http://www.mail.com/business/finance/2380336-disputes-cloud-asia-pacific-summit-focus-trade.html

"International relations in Asia are therefore not a zero-sum game. Even Asian countries involved in TPP negotiations, such as Malaysia, will sign new trade agreements with China. None of this will change if Mr. Obama suddenly decided to show up at the Asean meeting. America's challenge instead is to maintain a robust and entrepreneurial policy in Asia while avoiding a minimized presence due to budget cuts. These cuts do nothing to solve America's fiscal problems at home and do everything to make it harder to play a global role.

Unfortunately, the president's insistence since 2009 on cutting the U.S. defense budget, and his reluctance to use his bully pulpit to promote liberal values means that U.S. policy is increasingly one of sound and fury, signifying little. It is this incoherence at the heart of Mr. Obama's policy that is the great danger. Missing a meeting may well be forgotten, but shedding crucial military capabilities and reducing the country's ability to play a credible role abroad will have lasting effects"

http://online.barrons.com/article/S...20683165425374.html?mod=BOL_article_full_more

//

Last edited:
I would normally oppose this, but since it is a precursor to China flooding the US market with cheaper cars, putting the UAW under, works for me.

I just hope this doesnt hurt American jobs. But in a free market kinda lens i guess this would be good for American jobs, with increasing US exports. Just hope this doesnt backfire or there is something they arent telling us.

I would normally oppose this, but since it is a precursor to China flooding the US market with cheaper cars, putting the UAW under, works for me.

China is well known for shoddy workmanship and I'll guess their knock off car designs will sell about as well as Yugos.

Why are you so opposed to unions that you wish harm on a domestic industry in retaliation? I'm not a union fan but in most cases, I don't care. So, just an honest question.

Just one more step in letting a country that isn't requiring worker rights or silly environmental protections put other businesses that ARE encumbered with such things out of business. Expect more job flight as a result.

Yes everyone needs their BWMs, Oudis, Ferairys, Eords, and Khevrolets. Flood the U.S. market with cheap knock offs made form garbage.

China is well known for shoddy workmanship and I'll guess their knock off car designs will sell about as well as Yugos.

Why are you so opposed to unions that you wish harm on a domestic industry in retaliation? I'm not a union fan but in most cases, I don't care. So, just an honest question.

China can and does produce items that are either as good as you want them to be or as cheap as you want them to be.

Here is a Chinese car that gets 5 stars for a crash rating (European)

Qoros 3 Sedan Becomes China’s First Car to Get 5 Stars in EuroNCAP Tests [w/Videos] - Carscoops

The Qoros 3 Sedan has been awarded 5 stars in EuroNCAP’s most recent safety tests, thus becoming the first car developed in China to get the maximum rating. Furthermore, the compact model received the highest overall score so far in 2013.

The Qoros was not purely developed by the Chinese, but had a lot of help from Ricardo (an engineering firm)

I am not opposed to unions, just some unions. Th AFL-CIO has no problem screwing younger workers in negotiations to keep old workers' bloated pay and sweetheart benefits in a changed marketplace, support the dems, and then blame the GOP and business owners for screwing workers when they themselves have screwed a great many of their own dues-paying members.

Yes everyone needs their BWMs, Oudis, Ferairys, Eords, and Khevrolets. Flood the U.S. market with cheap knock offs made form garbage.

If they build trucks that don't cost $50K, then I'm willing to give a Khevrolet Sliverado a whirl.

If they build trucks that don't cost $50K, then I'm willing to give a Khevrolet Sliverado a whirl.

Please, it's called the Khevrolet Avacado. You will think its great till it does while driving along the highway:

Please, it's called the Khevrolet Avacado. You will think its great till it does while driving along the highway:

Me gives a like for the funny retort, but they would still be subject to US safety standards, and odds are, a great many of them would be built in the US by US workers.

Me gives a like for the funny retort, but they would still be subject to US safety standards, and odds are, a great many of them would be built in the US by US workers.

Chinese stuff is still crap no matter where it is made. Personally I am against having nay sort of free trade deal with nay one other than Japan and South Korea. If the deal was to go through we would to substantially tighten foreign ownership laws. Canada has free trade with the U.S. yet we still pay substantially more for things like cars which are built in this country.

Chinese stuff is still crap no matter where it is made. Personally I am against having nay sort of free trade deal with nay one other than Japan and South Korea. If the deal was to go through we would to substantially tighten foreign ownership laws.

No, korean crap is crap. The Chinese at least are willing to make job-creating investments in the US. American companies, not so much.

China can and does produce items that are either as good as you want them to be or as cheap as you want them to be.

Here is a Chinese car that gets 5 stars for a crash rating (European)

Qoros 3 Sedan Becomes China’s First Car to Get 5 Stars in EuroNCAP Tests [w/Videos] - Carscoops

The Qoros was not purely developed by the Chinese, but had a lot of help from Ricardo (an engineering firm)

Not in America. Even the French can't sell a car here and Italy only got in by buying Chrysler (and that little 500 is very cute). Americans are very brand conscious and the Chinese may eventually make a qualifying car but they'll have to change their copyright attitudes and their QC attitudes first. No time soon IMHO.

I am not opposed to unions, just some unions. Th AFL-CIO has no problem screwing younger workers in negotiations to keep old workers' bloated pay and sweetheart benefits in a changed marketplace, support the dems, and then blame the GOP and business owners for screwing workers when they themselves have screwed a great many of their own dues-paying members.

Sounds more like you hate certain crooks, not certain unions.

Not in America. Even the French can't sell a car here and Italy only got in by buying Chrysler (and that little 500 is very cute). Americans are very brand conscious and the Chinese may eventually make a qualifying car but they'll have to change their copyright attitudes and their QC attitudes first. No time soon IMHO.

The French and Italians were producing horrible cars at higher prices

The Koreans got in, by offering inexpensive cars, while crappy at first have been on par with the market in general while still being somewhat cheaper then comparable models. If the Chinese follow the same pattern as Hyundai and Kia, they could break into the US market

The French and Italians were producing horrible cars at higher prices

The Koreans got in, by offering inexpensive cars, while crappy at first have been on par with the market in general while still being somewhat cheaper then comparable models. If the Chinese follow the same pattern as Hyundai and Kia, they could break into the US market

When I lived in Korea, I bought an Korean assemble Hyundai Ford Cortina. Sad car. This was 1969, they've come a long way.

But the Koreans have LG, Samsung and other proof that they make good products and follow the laws. The Chinese are 20-30 years behind.

When I lived in Korea, I bought an Korean assemble Hyundai Ford Cortina. Sad car. This was 1969, they've come a long way.

But the Koreans have LG, Samsung and other proof that they make good products and follow the laws. The Chinese are 20-30 years behind.

Yes and when the first Kia's came here they were crap, the Qoros looks like it might be a decent car, most likely not ready for the US market, but I expect the Chinese will be coming

Yes and when the first Kia's came here they were crap, the Qoros looks like it might be a decent car, most likely not ready for the US market, but I expect the Chinese will be coming

When theyt release the Wonton Z, I'll have to take a look at one. In the meantime, my Scion is running well 6 1/2 years later. Some day, sure. Hopefully I'll be dead by then:)

When theyt release the Wonton Z, I'll have to take a look at one. In the meantime, my Scion is running well 6 1/2 years later. Some day, sure. Hopefully I'll be dead by then:)

Before China can sell more then 20 000 in the US it will be probably 13+ years

Back
Top Bottom